Author Topic: The SSSS Scriptorium  (Read 780320 times)

Daéa Reina

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • well, I'm trying
Re: The SSSS Scriptorium
« Reply #735 on: July 15, 2015, 10:34:50 AM »
Spoiler: show
This fic is depressing for me :( *Needs more happiness*

I know! I feel sad reading it, but I can't stop! I'll probably draw some silly fanart later to cheer myself up. :/

Heey, did you just get a promotion? :D
native :brazil:  |  decent :usa: :spain:  |  wants to learn :germany: :finland: :france:

I'm a survivor: :artd: :book1+: (-1) :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

"There's no better place on earth than the road that leads to Heaven."

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #736 on: July 15, 2015, 10:46:17 AM »
Heey, did you just get a promotion? :D
*Was trying to ignore it since yesterday evening* ::)
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #737 on: July 15, 2015, 11:25:09 AM »
*Was trying to ignore it since yesterday evening* ::)
Hey, congratulations!  Which derelict airport have you chosen to rule?   :D
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #738 on: July 15, 2015, 11:37:31 AM »
Hey, congratulations!  Which derelict airport have you chosen to rule?   :D
... Time to say I have never taken a plane so never been into an airport so I have absolutely no idea ? What could I make with an airport ? *Embarrassed*
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Sunflower

• Saraswati
« Reply #739 on: July 15, 2015, 12:12:58 PM »
I have never taken a plane so never been into an airport so I have absolutely no idea ? What could I make with an airport ? *Embarrassed*

Aw, don't be embarrassed!  I only know about airports because my father was in the military when I was a child, so we moved a lot, and our relatives were scattered all over the U.S. 

I have a couple of suggestions for you, based on your antiquarian interests.  (The airport awarded at 1,000 posts doesn't *have* to be derelict IRL; we assume it will be by Y90.)
1. Le Bourget, near Paris -- the historic airfield where Charles Lindbergh landed, among others.
2. One of these:  "14 of the world's most amazing abandoned airports" (except JoB has already claimed Berlin-Tempelhof"
3. "Abandoned airports around the world" - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/europe/uk/10858233/Abandoned-airports-around-the-world.html

And félicitations!

(I'll copy the airport info over to the Promotions thread for future reference.)
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Russet

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
  • eaten by the trolls that took over the tropics.
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #740 on: July 16, 2015, 02:23:07 AM »
Conquer Sciphol! It's big and fancy and big! And it's probably been run down with trolls since day one since it's, as aforementioned, so very big!

Oh, also, angst party with Reynir: when it's all over.
:artd: | :chap0::chap1::chap2::chap7::chap8::chap9::chap10:
Fluent: :uk: :china: :malaysia:
Learning: :japan: :france:

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #741 on: July 16, 2015, 02:24:34 PM »
Conquer Sciphol! It's big and fancy and big!
I've been told that the bicycle lanes near it have signs saying "niet in de lucht kijken", lest bicyclists run into something while watching overhead aircraft ... ;D
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Sunflower

• Saraswati
« Reply #742 on: July 17, 2015, 02:40:03 AM »
The recent revelations of the true nature of the beasts appear to be such 'the story of the scout' will be diverging from the 'lore'. Might still continue it, though.

Please do continue!  I was really enjoying your view of Finnish life and culture through the scout's eyes (Erkki, was it?), and I was disappointed when it seemed we might never find out what happened. 

The Scriptorium is open to all kinds of AU's (alternate universes).  As a matter of fact, the story about Tuuri that I abandoned about 2/3 through predated Reynir's and Kitty's arrivals.  So if I finish it, I'll either have to retroactively rewrite it to incorporate the 6th and 7th team members, or act as if it was always meant to be an AU.   ;)

misea

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • perpetually sleepy night owl
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her, they/their
« Reply #743 on: July 17, 2015, 04:10:00 AM »
Conquer Sciphol! It's big and fancy and big! And it's probably been run down with trolls since day one since it's, as aforementioned, so very big!

Oh, also, angst party with Reynir: when it's all over.

WHYYYYYY but also YEEEEEEEEESSSS
native :usa: | decent :france: | speak :china: | learning :spain: :italy: :sweden: :norway: :ireland: | wishlist: :finland: all

:chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :hat: :betterhat: :chap9:

courtesy of wolfie's magical intrnt skillz

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #744 on: July 17, 2015, 06:29:59 AM »
Partofacitygiant: please do keep writing! I want to see what happens next.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

LooNEY_DAC

• DeviantArt
« Reply #745 on: July 17, 2015, 08:36:30 PM »
Belatedly, here it is.

Correspondence
A “Stand Still. Stay Silent” fanfic
Part XI
Year 160, Early Spring

Herr Hotakainen,

It is with great regret that I announce the passing of Emil Västerström, my grandfather. It has fallen to me to handle/“wrap up” his remaining un-official correspondence. Your letter (which I have enclosed, unopened) reached us about a week after it happened.

If I may add a personal note, I would like to thank you for being Grandfather’s chief correspondent through his final years. I know for a fact that he always brightened considerably when he saw that there was a new letter from you in his mail.

Yours Most Respectfully,
Emil Reynir Mikkel Lalli Västerström

Year 160, Late Spring

Fröken Hotakainen,

I thank you for your kind words about my grandfather’s passing.

I was never permitted to read any of your father’s letters, nor any of my grandfather’s responses, though he would occasionally ask me if a certain word fit the role in a sentence that he intended for it. Sometimes, though, my father would tell me silly stories Grandfather had read to him from your Cousin Tuuri’s letters when he and my uncles were boys. The one that I remember best is the one about Onni and the Cursed Machine. I would very much enjoy learning more about your kin, if you would be so kind.

About my family: you have heard of my grandfather from your father, of course. My eldest uncle, Aku, has been called “the Swede Alaxander”, and “Gustavus Adolphus Reborn”, as his Cleansing campaigns liberated the old Counties of Västernorrland, Gävleborg, and the eastern quarter of Västerbotten for Sweden between 130-135. My other uncle, Esko, is perhaps the most famous doctor in Sweden, having saved many hundreds of lives through treatments he invented or rediscovered. Most Swedes know my father’s voice (or, more properly, voices) better than most others, as he has been one of Mora Radio’s “Thousand Voices Men” since their inception.

My six brothers are all Skalds or Cleansers, aside from Ulf, the third youngest of us, who’s another of the “Thousand Voices Men”. As for myself, I am the youngest son of the youngest son of the man I was named for, whose un-official secretary I became when I left school, and there is not much else to say about me.

Yours Most Respectfully,
Emil R.M.L. Västerström

Year 160, Early Summer

Fröken Aino,

I heard a bird singing this morning, and I wondered, “What kind of birds live in and around Keuruu?” Of course, this set me to wondering about all the various Finn flora and (non-Beast) fauna, and I could hardly wait to ask you. I don’t know how I’ll survive the suspense of awaiting your response.

Here on the Isle of Sollerön, we have the ordinary complement of domestic stocks: poultry, pigs, cattle and horses, as well as dogs and the ubiquitous felines, one of whom is trying to sabotage this letter by demanding my immediate attentions. Thus, I must end.

Yours Most Respectfully,
Emil R.M.L. Västerström

Year 160, Late Summer

Aino,

Pursuant to your request, I have gathered all the “Lalli stuff”, as he used to refer to it, for your examination. As it is quite a substantial amount of... well, stuff, I propose to bring it to you at Keuruu at the beginning of Fall, if that is permissible.

I look forward to finally meeting you face to face.

Yours Most Respectfully,
Emil R.M.L. Västerström

Year 161, Winter

Emil,

Your mother and I hope you and your new bride (Aino, is it?) are doing well over in Keuruu; for ourselves, work is a bit slow as my voice is still recovering from the bad throat cold I had early in the year, but we do well enough aside from that.

Of course we do not disapprove (it’s not as if you were acting dishonorably by marrying her); we simply wish you’d waited a bit that we might meet your bride, and possibly her family, as I have always had a curiosity about the Hotakainens. On that note, we intend to take the first spring ship out to Keuruu for a visit. I know you dislike “being babied”, but we are your parents. When the gods bless you with children, you’ll understand.

Your story of how the two of you discovered that you share a birthday is amusing. Imagine, the youngest grandson of Emil Västerström and the only daughter of Lalli Hotakainen being born at practically the same time!

If you wish to make your life and home in Finland, instead of the recently liberated Swedish wildlands, we again will not object; we’ll merely request that you visit us at least annually, and let us visit you with the same frequency. No-one in the family wants another Siv Incident.

I remain, and ever shall be,
Your Loving Father
U.E. Mikkel Västerström

Author’s Notes
So, some more lighthearted later stuff. I’ll bet you thought the story ended when Emil & Lalli died, aside from the earlier excursus.

It took me a while to decide to do this excursus, but I hope it turned out well.

Alternate titles: Fast Times in Finland, When Emil Met Aino, etc.

Ren

• Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them
« Reply #746 on: July 17, 2015, 09:08:18 PM »
Well, first fanfic I have written, hope you all like it! It takes place after p. 359.
Emil stared as Lalli walked away. The thought rushing through his mind threatened to consume him. 'Why hadn't Mikkel tried? The cat could have lived? And why woul the beast come back? Did it have a conscience?' But mostly, he just felt empty with loss.Loss, loss loss. the word itself felt empty. But as he wiped his bloody knife on his already muddied uniform, and saw his reflection in the shining metal, he felt angry. Angry at Mikkel for not trying to save the poor mother cat. Angry at Sigrun for not caring. He sheathed his knife angrily. She never seemed to care about anything. And angry at Lalli. Sometimes he was just a statue, just a husk of a boy. Emil thought about the moments he'd had with Lalli. The special moments where the world fell away, and Lalli showed some emotion, something to show that he had emotions. But now, as Lalli's footsteps faded, he turned away.'how could he do this?' Emil thought. 'How could he just walk away--the boy's practically an animal himself!' He stood there, in the rain., staring out into the fading light. His vision blurred as he heard words from a familiar, but intelligible language, in the form of a poem. His vision cleared, and he could see sharper than before. There was a dancing blue light around the cats graves, and the form of the mother cat, all injury gone, appeared. She trotted through the air, towards the stones that marked her passed kits. She licked gently at the blue light, and each kitten materialized in turn in a swirl of blue flame. Suddenly, in a flash of pale green, the poor dog's spirit erupted from its body. It bowed its head to the cats, and they walked up, up into the night sky, far away from anything that could hurt them. As they disappeared, six stars shone brighter than they had a moment ago. Emil knew that the animal's spirits had gone to live in the sky, to watch over him, and the rest of the crew. A thin, pale hand reached out and lightly touched his shoulder. Emil turned around to see Lalli, eyes glowing in the darkness, reaching out to him. "You... You did that, didn't you? You made me see their spirits!" Emil turned around and embraced him.

"Sigrun, are the boys back yet?" Mikkel called from his spot in the work room. "Nah, I think they'll be in so---oh. Huh."  "Sigrun?" Mikkel called. When he got no reply, he rounded the corner to join her. "Ah." "Never thought the little Mage dude was a hugger."

'He isn't.' Tuuri smiled to herself.

So, that was it! I hope you enjoyed it! I may write more! But now I should sleep...

YES SO MUCH YES!!! AMAZING!!

I never thought that Mikkel would ever say dude
Learning Spanish and Norwegian

Chapter Break Survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19:

Ren

• Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them
« Reply #747 on: July 17, 2015, 09:54:13 PM »
Sorry for the double post.

@LooNEY_DAC Your fanfic is AMAZING!! I love the story form and how it doesn't end with Lalli and Emil dying. Could you please post all of them in order?
Learning Spanish and Norwegian

Chapter Break Survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19:

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #748 on: July 18, 2015, 05:26:20 AM »
LooNEY: your final chapter is delightful, and I second the request that all the stories be put together somewhere in sequence. I look forward to reading it all over again at one time.
Perhaps at some point you can tell us the tales of the 'Siv Incident' and 'Onni and the Cursed Machine'?
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

LooNEY_DAC

• DeviantArt
« Reply #749 on: July 18, 2015, 02:03:12 PM »
The Complete Links to
Correspondence
A “Stand Still. Stay Silent” fanfic

Author’s Notes
I never got to it, but Reynir died in his sleep in Y137.

What I was trying to show here was how Emil, without becoming a “Mary Sue”-type, was thrust into situations where his competence (in the wake of WWI-like incompetence) made him a legend, and how his eldest son (Aukusti is the Finn form of Augustus), a genuine military genius (it happens), became a bigger legend, all leading to the isolation I wrote of in FFOOM. Or, basically, I was trying to show how Emil and his progeny started the Rise of the House of Västerström, taking my cues from the Cornelia gens of Ancient Rome.

Of course, I was also trying to show how the Emil-Lalli friendship still thrived even with an ocean parting them. Hopefully, I succeeded there.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2016, 04:34:54 PM by LooNEY_DAC »