Author Topic: The SSSS Scriptorium  (Read 785468 times)

SectoBoss

• Ranger
Re: The SSSS Scriptorium
« Reply #645 on: June 29, 2015, 06:21:22 PM »
*facepalms* I can't believe I didn't see the "Next Chapter" button and I can't believe I'm not fully awake still I've been up for three hours

*crawls under blankets in embarrassment*

Ah, it's fine. To be honest, I was mostly worried I'd written something that someone really didn't like!
Native: :uk:  Remembers dregs: :france: :vaticancity:  Learning (slowly): :sweden:
Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
Proud owner of a Haizvatar
I write a bit on AO3

LooNEY_DAC

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #646 on: June 29, 2015, 09:56:28 PM »
Correspondence
A “Stand Still. Stay Silent” fanfic
Part II
Spoiler: show
Year 106, Winter

Lalli,

I don’t know whether this will reach you, but I desired to try, at least, to let you know why your letters have gone unanswered for so long. I hope to still be alive when you read this, but I cannot guarantee it.

They sent us to Karlstad, against all sanity, and of course this has been the mildest, warmest winter since Kastrup--which this all too closely resembles, believe me. My unit has had the fortune to take and garrison one of the islets, where we’ve made a redoubt--our own version of a nest, if you will. Many times, we have had to sortie to the main city in aid of our fellows there, or simply to keep our connections open to the rest.

The monsters have decided to make up for last year’s inactivity, and then some. We are surrounded and under near-constant assault, even here on the islet. Fortunately, almost the whole of the Cleansers are here, so all the best fighters and leaders are with us, which helps. Unfortunately, almost the whole of the Cleansers are here, so there’s no one left to come get us. It has been noticed that none of the High Command have graced us with their presence for quite some time.

Let Tuuri know I’m still reading bits of her letters to the unit; it seems more and more essential as our circumstances worsen. And of course I treasure your notes as well. Hopefully, you’ll receive this and know that.

Your imperiled Cleanser friend,
Emil Västerström

Year 106, Spring

Lalli,

Well, we survived, thanks to winter finally arriving. When it finally came, it came with a vengeance. Many people are saying the storm we escaped through was the worst since Before the Rash, though how they’d know is anyone’s guess. It was certainly fierce enough to cover our mad flight back to Kristinehamn and safety. It was rather odd in how it seemed to spring up from nowhere, but nonetheless welcome, for all that. You might call it 'the gods deigning to smile upon the godless Swedes', or some such.

They’re calling me ‘the Hero of Karlstad’, if you can believe it, when all I did was to ensure we all ran away safely: first, after the Command Post was destroyed, to my islet redoubt with as many of the other groups as we could get to; and second, out of the city completely once the weather turned in our favor. No, the heroes of Karlstad were those who we had to leave behind: almost half of the entire Cleanser organization, sent to fight and die like rats in a trap.

I shall not bother you with more of these maudlin sentiments; suffice it to say that I am still whole in body, unlike many of my fellows, such as my Fenno-Swede friend who helps me write to you, Marta Kiianmies. She was badly wounded in her left leg during the great retreat, and it will probably need to be amputated. So much has been lost.

My own Finnish reading is much improved; I’ve been studying a ragged old copy of the Kalevala now and again, as well as a book of old Finn proverbs. It makes re-reading your letters much nicer. As for writing, I’m still dependent upon Marta for most of the correct declensions, as you Finns seem to love them so.

I’m glad you’re still writing back, and I hope we can arrange to see each other someday. You’ve already seen Mora, so by rights I should come to Finland, either to Keuruu or to Saimaa. Well, we’ll see what happens when my life slows down a bit in Summertime.

Your Cleanser friend,
Emil Västerström

Author's Notes:

About Emil's writing:
In that first letter, he was proverbially sweating blood hoping that Lalli would write back ("We're still friends, right? Right?"), so he was much more formal than he might otherwise be. He's getting better, though.

This is set in the same "continuity" as "The Forest, the Flames, and the Old, Old Man", so they should fit together, character-wise.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 08:08:44 AM by LooNEY_DAC »

Soikia

• You never know when you'll need swing music
« Reply #647 on: June 30, 2015, 02:49:50 AM »
My writings a little rusty because I haven't written in like....6 - 7 months.
I've had a headcanon about how the others could communicate with Lalli, I decided to use Emil because I honestly feel like he's the only character I can write right now  :-\
Sorry if it's a bit out of character! I'd love any constructive criticism you may have for me;;

http://archiveofourown.org/works/4239321

Russet

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
  • eaten by the trolls that took over the tropics.
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #648 on: June 30, 2015, 05:13:57 AM »
Correspondence
Part II
SAD THINGS, OH NO. D:
but also Emil the Hero of Karlstad, hmm. He sure seems to have become a lot more humble, at least!

Oh, SectoBoss, by the way, thank you again for writing that amazing Pacific Rim crossover, the atmosphere and everything was so perfect eeeh.
As well as Haiz for the amazing A:TLA art? They look so cute I want to pinch their cheeks.
:artd: | :chap0::chap1::chap2::chap7::chap8::chap9::chap10:
Fluent: :uk: :china: :malaysia:
Learning: :japan: :france:

KMK

• Scout
« Reply #649 on: June 30, 2015, 06:15:48 AM »
Ah, it's fine. To be honest, I was mostly worried I'd written something that someone really didn't like!

Are you kidding?! Your crossover now has me wanting to look up Pacific Rim.

AquaAurion

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #650 on: June 30, 2015, 07:16:45 AM »
The Pacific Rim crossover is finished! Two chapters this time, as the last one’s barely a page long:

http://archiveofourown.org/works/3803176/chapters/9575058

This started out as a fun little idea from Haiz on the crossover thread and somehow snowballed over several months into the nigh-on-20,000 word monster before you. How, I have no idea. But I would just like to say thanks to Haiz for hir endless support as I bumbled through it, and also to everyone who said Nice Things about it on AO3 and in the scriptorium here.

I hope you like it!
This was amazing, thank you!
I think I stopped breathing for a moment as I reached the end of the fourth chapter. I really enjoyed how you wrote everyone, they felt very in character :) The inclusion of Reynir in the airship was really nice (helping Sigrun of all people) xD

Correspondence
Part II
Year 106, Winter

Lalli,

I don’t know whether this will reach you, but I desired to try, at least, to let you know why your letters have gone unanswered for so long. I hope to still be alive when you read this, but I cannot guarantee it.

They sent us to Karlstad, against all sanity, and of course this has been the mildest, warmest winter since Kastrup--which this all too closely resembles, believe me. My unit has had the fortune to take and garrison one of the islets, where we’ve made a redoubt--our own version of a nest, if you will. Many times, we have had to sortie to the main city in aid of our fellows there, or simply to keep our connections open to the rest.

The monsters have decided to make up for last year’s inactivity, and then some. We are surrounded and under near-constant assault, even here on the islet. Fortunately, almost the whole of the Cleansers are here, so all the best fighters and leaders are with us, which helps. Unfortunately, almost the whole of the Cleansers are here, so there’s no one left to come get us. It has been noticed that none of the High Command have graced us with their presence for quite some time.

Let Tuuri know I’m still reading bits of her letters to the unit; it seems more and more essential as our circumstances worsen. And of course I treasure your notes as well. Hopefully, you’ll receive this and know that.

Your imperiled Cleanser friend,
Emil Västerström

Year 106, Spring

Lalli,

Well, we survived, thanks to winter finally arriving. When it finally came, it came with a vengeance. Many people are saying the storm we escaped through was the worst since Before the Rash, though how they’d know is anyone’s guess. It was certainly fierce enough to cover our mad flight back to Kristinehamn and safety.

They’re calling me ‘the Hero of Karlstad’, if you can believe it, when all I did was to ensure we all ran away safely: first, after the Command Post was destroyed, to my islet redoubt with as many of the other groups as we could get to; and second, out of the city completely once the weather turned in our favor. No, the heroes of Karlstad were those who we had to leave behind: almost half of the entire Cleanser organization, sent to fight and die like rats in a trap.

I shall not bother you with more of these maudlin sentiments; suffice it to say that I am still whole in body, unlike many of my fellows, such as my Fenno-Swede friend who helps me write to you, Marta Kiianmies. She was badly wounded in her left leg during the great retreat, and it will probably need to be amputated. So much has been lost.

My own Finnish reading is much improved; I’ve been studying a ragged old copy of the Kalevala now and again, as well as a book of old Finn proverbs. It makes re-reading your letters much nicer. As for writing, I’m still dependent upon Marta for most of the correct declensions, as you Finns seem to love them so.

I’m glad you’re still writing back, and I hope we can arrange to see each other someday. You’ve already seen Mora, so by rights I should come to Finland, either to Keuruu or to Saimaa. Well, we’ll see what happens when my life slows down a bit in Summertime.

Your Cleanser friend,
Emil Västerström

Author's Notes:

About Emil's writing:
In that first letter, he was proverbially sweating blood hoping that Lalli would write back ("We're still friends, right? Right?"), so he was much more formal than he might otherwise be. He's getting better, though.

This is set in the same "continuity" as "The Forest, the Flames, and the Old, Old Man", so they should fit together, character-wise.

I like this style of writing, where you have to guess what's happening and what both Tuuri and Lalli have been writing :)

I've had a headcanon about how the others could communicate with Lalli, I decided to use Emil because I honestly feel like he's the only character I can write right now  :-\
Sorry if it's a bit out of character! I'd love any constructive criticism you may have for me;;

It's very sweet :) I love everyday scenes like this with the crew ^w^

Eagerly waiting since November 2014:  :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02:
(✿σ‿σ) ~<3

Russet

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
« Reply #651 on: June 30, 2015, 07:46:42 AM »

There were a few grammatical errors here and there (I think 'picking up a pen greatly' was mentioned) but it was a really cute fic! which is lovely right around this time when there are so many angsty fics floating around, haha.

Solovei

• Tumblr
  • You name it, Captain Solo will ship it.
« Reply #652 on: June 30, 2015, 11:29:31 AM »

I agree with Russet, I spotted a few grammatical errors and some awkwardly phrased sentences, but other than that it's good!
:hat:Support your fanfic authors!:betterhat:
Co-admin of the SSSS Wiki | AO3 |
:chap2:
:chap3:
:chap4:
:chap5:
:chap6:
:chap7:
:chap8:

Fluent: :canada: :russia:
Managing to stumble through: :sweden:

Soikia

• You never know when you'll need swing music
« Reply #653 on: June 30, 2015, 01:43:32 PM »
I agree with Russet, I spotted a few grammatical errors and some awkwardly phrased sentences, but other than that it's good!

There were a few grammatical errors here and there (I think 'picking up a pen greatly' was mentioned) but it was a really cute fic! which is lovely right around this time when there are so many angsty fics floating around, haha.

Ahh thanks you two! Rereading it, I can see a few errors that I didn't catch last night;; thanks for saying that otherwise I wouldn't go back and check for any grammatical errors hah

LooNEY_DAC

• DeviantArt
« Reply #654 on: July 01, 2015, 12:06:46 AM »
Did somebody say light and fluffy?

It's lighter than last part, OK?

Correspondence
Part III
Year 106, Summer

Lalli,

My worst fears have been realized. I shan’t be able to visit your undoubtedly lovely country for quite some time, as I have just been ‘promoted’ to a supposedly high-level position in the Recruiting Section; but with duties not unlike those I had upon our return, it would appear I’m to be a glorified trained monkey at various ‘events’ across Sweden for the foreseeable future. If I enclosed a copy of my weekly schedule, you simply wouldn’t believe it.

It seems my reward for ‘saving the Karlstad Expedition’ is to be desk-bound hereafter. Your point that no one likes to be made to look a fool, especially when true, has decidedly been borne out. Somehow, most of the bunglers at High Command have survived the disaster, and have had the effrontery to force me to join their ranks. I shall be watchful, as you have advised, though; if they try to make me complicit in another Karlstad, I shall slither out of it as easily as they did.

The one bright spot in my assignment is Marta. She wound up losing the leg, and can no longer serve in the ranks, so I made her my administrative assistant. She is also useful as a visual reminder, both to me and to others, of what so many Cleansers have sacrificed for Sweden.

As you can tell by this I encountered, my Finnish improves, but much slowly. Marta wanted to place upright that last, but I want you seen my unhelped words, silly as they are. Please continue writing, even if I’m slow to answer.

Your Cleanser friend,
Emil Västerström

Year 106, Fall

Lalli,

So...

Um.

Marta and I are wed!

I’m still a little stunned by how quickly it all went, honestly. We were just kind of resting between ‘events’ in the office one day, talking over the schedules, and suddenly I somehow asked, and she accepted. After that, I’m not sure either of us had time to take a breath before the ‘honeymoon’, which was entirely PR-driven, of course.

We still plan to go to Finland at the next opportunity, naturally. Marta wants to meet you, and I definitely want you to meet her. The higher-ups will have to give us some time off soon, and we have more than enough funds, so look for another letter with our itinerary soon!

Your Cleanser friend,
Emil Västerström

Author's Notes:

Last part:
So, I kind of intended to imply that Lalli got the crisis letter and sent a storm to help. Should I have added a line like, "Funny how the storm came out of nowhere" to assist that?

This part:
So Murphy has been invoked.
The typos in Summer's last paragraph are courtesy experimentation on Google Translate.

Overall:
In this, I'm trying to show how Emil's life experiences are gradually souring him on the idea of 'image' (as opposed to reality), even as his own image grows in the public eye--unassisted by him; he'd bungle it if he actually tried for it.
There are good and bad times yet to come.

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #655 on: July 01, 2015, 12:58:26 AM »

Correspondence
Part III
Year 106, Summer

Lalli,

My worst fears have been realized. I shan’t be able to visit your undoubtedly lovely country for quite some time, as I have just been ‘promoted’ to a supposedly high-level position in the Recruiting Section; but with duties not unlike those I had upon our return, it would appear I’m to be a glorified trained monkey at various ‘events’ across Sweden for the foreseeable future. If I enclosed a copy of my weekly schedule, you simply wouldn’t believe it.

It seems my reward for ‘saving the Karlstad Expedition’ is to be desk-bound hereafter. Your point that no one likes to be made to look a fool, especially when true, has decidedly been borne out. Somehow, most of the bunglers at High Command have survived the disaster, and have had the effrontery to force me to join their ranks. I shall be watchful, as you have advised, though; if they try to make me complicit in another Karlstad, I shall slither out of it as easily as they did.

The one bright spot in my assignment is Marta. She wound up losing the leg, and can no longer serve in the ranks, so I made her my administrative assistant. She is also useful as a visual reminder, both to me and to others, of what so many Cleansers have sacrificed for Sweden.

As you can tell by this I encountered, my Finnish improves, but much slowly. Marta wanted to place upright that last, but I want you seen my unhelped words, silly as they are. Please continue writing, even if I’m slow to answer.

Your Cleanser friend,
Emil Västerström

Year 106, Fall

Lalli,

So...

Um.

Marta and I are wed!

I’m still a little stunned by how quickly it all went, honestly. We were just kind of resting between ‘events’ in the office one day, talking over the schedules, and suddenly I somehow asked, and she accepted. After that, I’m not sure either of us had time to take a breath before the ‘honeymoon’, which was entirely PR-driven, of course.

We still plan to go to Finland at the next opportunity, naturally. Marta wants to meet you, and I definitely want you to meet her. The higher-ups will have to give us some time off soon, and we have more than enough funds, so look for another letter with our itinerary soon!

Your Cleanser friend,
Emil Västerström

Author's Notes:

Last part:
So, I kind of intended to imply that Lalli got the crisis letter and sent a storm to help. Should I have added a line like, "Funny how the storm came out of nowhere" to assist that?

This part:
So Murphy has been invoked.
The typos in Summer's last paragraph are courtesy experimentation on Google Translate.

Overall:
In this, I'm trying to show how Emil's life experiences are gradually souring him on the idea of 'image' (as opposed to reality), even as his own image grows in the public eye--unassisted by him; he'd bungle it if he actually tried for it.
There are good and bad times yet to come.

I'm really enjoying the correspondence!  As you point out, Emil is gradually coming to terms with the difference between image and reality.  I like how you're developing his character.

In response to some of the Author's Notes:

* I didn't pick up on Lalli supplying the timely winter storm... though of course it makes sense, now that you point it out.  It didn't occur to me his weather control could reach that far, especially to a land full of unbelieving Pompous Swedes.  Maybe a line or two could clarify that for careless readers like me?

* It speaks well of Emil that he didn't choose some prettily dressed little Mora debutante as his wife.  I do wonder whether the decision to propose was the only thing that happened with baffling speed between him and Marta  ;) ... but if you want to look me in the eye and tell me Emil behaved with the gentlemanly reserve of a Jane Austen hero, I'll believe you.

* I like to think that enclosed in the Fall letter is a lavishly engraved announcement (paid for by the Government of Sweden) of the wedding of the two national heroes, "duly celebrated with every circumstance of publicized vulgarity" (Nancy Mitford in The Pursuit of Love).

Keep up the good work!  I'm looking forward to the next chapter. 
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Couch Princess

• Occasional Drawing
« Reply #656 on: July 01, 2015, 01:27:51 AM »
Fanfiction 15. Someone stop this madness...

I wrote a cheerful little story about Emil and Lalli getting their hands on a frisbee!
Nothing bad happens. Promise.
Would I lie to you?

http://archiveofourown.org/works/4167570

Hope you like it!
I’m so sorry I lied.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWHAAAAAAAAAAAAA YOU LIED

I can't handle things like this!!!! STAAAHAAAAP *cries in the corner*
~insert something funny here~

LooNEY_DAC

• DeviantArt
« Reply #657 on: July 01, 2015, 01:45:26 AM »
In response to some of the Author's Notes:

* I didn't pick up on Lalli supplying the timely winter storm... though of course it makes sense, now that you point it out.  It didn't occur to me his weather control could reach that far, especially to a land full of unbelieving Pompous Swedes.  Maybe a line or two could clarify that for careless readers like me?

OK.
It was more of a "Have you abandoned us, Winter?" runo, which got the weather gods a bit exercised. ("Oh, he wants WINTER, huh?")

* It speaks well of Emil that he didn't choose some prettily dressed little Mora debutante as his wife.  I do wonder whether the decision to propose was the only thing that happened with baffling speed between him and Marta  ;) ... but if you want to look me in the eye and tell me Emil behaved with the gentlemanly reserve of a Jane Austen hero, I'll believe you.

One of the memes of the past is "gal in love with the boss", but modern sexual harassment regulations say, "Not a chance! Lawsuit! String him up!" if he initiates anything. Unfortunately, the public is largely unaware of this, so the meme lives on. Emil acted as a proper employer/superior should, not taking advantage of his position; in fact, I was trying to suggest that M more or less talked/tricked him into proposing, thus his surprise.
After he proposed, however...

* I like to think that enclosed in the Fall letter is a lavishly engraved announcement (paid for by the Government of Sweden) of the wedding of the two national heroes, "duly celebrated with every circumstance of publicized vulgarity" (Nancy Mitford in The Pursuit of Love).

Keep up the good work!  I'm looking forward to the next chapter. 

I was going to put a line in one letter about a "revolting propaganda poster" featuring Emil in a "ridiculous, ludicrous and possibly painful" position, killing trolls etc, but I thought his "I'm not a hero" stuff was enough to get the message across.

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #658 on: July 01, 2015, 02:58:56 AM »

One of the memes of the past is "gal in love with the boss", but modern sexual harassment regulations say, "Not a chance! Lawsuit! String him up!" if he initiates anything. Unfortunately, the public is largely unaware of this, so the meme lives on. Emil acted as a proper employer/superior should, not taking advantage of his position; in fact, I was trying to suggest that M more or less talked/tricked him into proposing, thus his surprise.
After he proposed, however...

Don't worry, I didn't think for a second that Emil would ever take advantage of his position.  Not only was he brought up (as I like to think) with a very noblesse oblige attitude that the strong should never prey on the weak, but as a former fat kid he has a core of insecurity that probably still lingers even after 15 years as a successful Cleanser. 

What I *was* thinking, though, is that inhibitions occasionally get lowered between colleagues in times of stress (especially if a bottle of liquor left over from the office Jul party turns up), leading to make-out sessions in the supply closet.  Either the happy couple might then realize they're compatible in other ways too... or Emil, being the lovably old-fashioned dork that he is, might be the last person alive in the Known World who thinks he has to "save the lady's honor" and propose.  (Which Marta might in fact have anticipated.)

I was going to put a line in one letter about a "revolting propaganda poster" featuring Emil in a "ridiculous, ludicrous and possibly painful" position, killing trolls etc, but I thought his "I'm not a hero" stuff was enough to get the message across.

I MUST SEE THAT POSTER.
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Russet

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
« Reply #659 on: July 01, 2015, 05:29:08 AM »

Correspondence
Part III
Ooh, this is shaping up pretty well! I didn't really catch the winter part either, but other than that I think the letters get general ideas across pretty well. Also, I like the sound of M's character, she sounds very capable and strong-willed.  :)

ALSO @SectoBoss THE FRISBEE FIC. WHY. YOU CUNNING, SLY DEVIL. (but I loved your fic, please write more so I can suffer in anguish!)