Author Topic: The SSSS Scriptorium  (Read 787246 times)

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
Re: The SSSS Scriptorium
« Reply #615 on: June 29, 2015, 04:02:16 AM »
It's a really interesting idea in terms of exposition (*shakes fist because he didn't think of it first*) and it's very well-written, but, um, would Emil be formal to such a degree that he uses "loquacious" and "surfeit"? I don't think it especially detracts from the story, but it just doesn't seem to me like how he'd talk.

Well, to me Emil's speech is already a bit more formal than the others', at least when he's speaking to people he hasn't known all his life (i.e. not his relatives and Bosse the cat) -- with almost a Bertie Wooster vibe ("We get along swimmingly!").  So I suppose that with the passage of time he might have starched up his vocabulary further -- especially since his nationality is Pompous Swede. 

I'm really having trouble picturing how Lalli would write.  I know he's not illiterate, but he's uncommunicative (again, unless it's with people he's known all his life; I doubt he'd be chatty with a Finnish speaker he didn't know). 
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

ParanormalAndroid

« Reply #616 on: June 29, 2015, 04:06:54 AM »
Well, to me Emil's speech is already a bit more formal than the others', at least when he's speaking to people he hasn't known all his life (i.e. not his relatives and Bosse the cat) -- with almost a Bertie Wooster vibe ("We get along swimmingly!").  So I suppose that with the passage of time he might have starched up his vocabulary further -- especially since his nationality is Pompous Swede. 
Okay, you've convinced me, the vision of Emil barking orders at some long-suffering butler is too funny not to think of.
Reckon he'd be in mountains of debt too? Perhaps on account of the laundry bill for all those blackened, bloodstained uniforms.

Russet

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
  • eaten by the trolls that took over the tropics.
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #617 on: June 29, 2015, 04:39:29 AM »
Trying, trying again.
This is a really interesting premise, I'm very excited to see where it'll go!  :)
Also apologetic cookies for misea, but I think I'm actually interested in starting a collection of angst fics for everyone in the crew. hmm. (FORGIVE ME x3000)
:artd: | :chap0::chap1::chap2::chap7::chap8::chap9::chap10:
Fluent: :uk: :china: :malaysia:
Learning: :japan: :france:

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #618 on: June 29, 2015, 04:48:55 AM »
Yeah,'Bertie Wooster' is pretty much the image I had too!

Lalli, now... We've seen him read Tuuri's note without difficulty, and he can read  (and probably memorise?) a map. He may not speak much, but to judge by his on-the-fly composition of runos his inside-the-mind word-hoard is in extremely good shape! My headcanon is that he would write maybe four sentences of minimalist dry fact ("Soandso whom you knew has died of old age, Suchoranother and her husband have produced a healthy son, we all got through the winter well") followed by half a dozen lines of breathtaking poetry about the first spring buds opening. Then wouldn't write again until next season.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #619 on: June 29, 2015, 05:24:13 AM »
First of all, HOW DARE YOU.
Second, NO. NO NO NO. NONONONONONONONONONONO NOOOOOOOOOO
*Sighs* More traumatized persons here. Do you want tea ? I need more tea thinking to what I have half read before closing it.
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

misea

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • perpetually sleepy night owl
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her, they/their
« Reply #620 on: June 29, 2015, 05:30:22 AM »
Russet: You're forgiven 'v' *claps hand gleefully in anticipation of fics and angst while whisper screaming "NOOOOO"*

I would love tea, Mélusine, only I can't have too much caffeine :I *starts to wonder if there's decaffeinated tea in the house*
native :usa: | decent :france: | speak :china: | learning :spain: :italy: :sweden: :norway: :ireland: | wishlist: :finland: all

:chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :hat: :betterhat: :chap9:

courtesy of wolfie's magical intrnt skillz

Russet

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
« Reply #621 on: June 29, 2015, 05:38:19 AM »
Russet: You're forgiven 'v' *claps hand gleefully in anticipation of fics and angst while whisper screaming "NOOOOO"*
I'm actually really excited about Tuuri's story! And I possibly have an idea for Lalli's. hmmmmmm. /stroaks imaginary goatee

Róisín

« Reply #622 on: June 29, 2015, 05:39:54 AM »
Russet: the one you wrote for Sigrun was very dark, but probably how, being Sigrun, she would respond to losing yet another team. Do you plan to do all the team members in such a scenario? It would be interesting though I think rather emotionally wearing. The difficult part would be getting enough variation in the individual scenes.
I myself prefer not to kill main cast characters in my stories, but I can see how it would be very challenging to write. And you would never look at the comic the same way again.

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #623 on: June 29, 2015, 05:41:10 AM »
I would love tea, Mélusine, only I can't have too much caffeine :I *starts to wonder if there's decaffeinated tea in the house*
*Offers herb tea instead of tea. And cookies*
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

KMK

• Scout
« Reply #624 on: June 29, 2015, 06:54:54 AM »
Story: The Doctor and Sarah

Spoiler: show

The water was still washing down, the dog creature had long since departed and the two boys who had found the cat had left with their vehicle.

Sarah, struggled back onto her feet from among the foliage. Some of the bullets had torn ragged holes in the desks around her, and yet she had stayed untouched.

She steadied herself against the desk, it sagged a bit under her weight as she picked up her rucksack and rifle. She walked out through the entrance that the boys had been at. Four small furry objects lay on a small sand bar next to an opening in the wall. She leaned down and petted the little balls of fur. Some were still warm.

---

The rain was still falling when she stopped her car outside of the entrance to the Danish Museum of Art and Design. A small box rested in the passenger seat next to her rucksack.

She ignored the scene outside, of the sagging sand bags around the perimeter, the two rusting armoured personnel carriers, the faded signs indicating that there would be an exhibition nigh hundred years ago. The wind moved around to the smell of chemical smoke that wafted from the blackened windows.

She re-read the story. Sarah Hansen had won silver in the junior 10k run on the 6th of April. Two years later, her parents took a picture of her at the age of fifteen in a white washed room. The re-purposed exhibition space could be difficultly seen in the painting behind. Hospital space had run out and this was one of the major research hospitals still in existence. Sarah's parents had insisted on taking her home, even when the drug trials were still on going.

She closed the book. Tears came and the madness was again at her gates gnawing on her mind. She closed the photo book. She placed the photo book back into her rucksack, picked up the small box and exited the car.

She walked past the rusting vehicles, the open hatches black holes of  danger. She walked through the open gates into the courtyard. Se could feel eyes watching her from all sides. Somewhere a pig squealed.

She reached the main entrance, the closed door. A murder hole was opened and an eye stared back before the bolts were withdrawn, the door shuddered open.

A boy and a girl perhaps of fifteen years old stared back at her. They wore ragged uniforms, many times patched. One of them was dressed as a stable boy, the other as a maid. The lights flickered as she walked in and the bolts on the door were closed.

The boy coughed and the girl squeaked "Your weapons, please."

Sarah looked at the maid as the maid hastily gestured towards the garderobe with a bored woman in her mid twenties standing by the desk. The woman's body was slouched in easy laziness, but her eyes were hard, constantly looking at Sarah. Her mouth a dangerous white line as she held out her hand.

Sarah gave her the rifle and a pistol in her rucksack. She walked closer offering to open the box. Ever closer until they were near touching. The madness lurked ever mocking inside of her. Repulsed Sarah took a step back, the lazy woman quickly pointed to the maid.

"Prepare her to the doctor. Quick now." The maid jumped a bit and ushered Sarah up the stairs.

---

She was ushered into the high walled, glass book-cased interior, by a mouse of a receptionist. Sarah was dressed in a paper gown stamped with the new Swedish government symbol. She held on to her rucksack fro dear life. Even during the examination as the play acted a doctor's check-up, waving devices they barely understood in a robotic manner, she held on to her old rucksack.

She blinked in the light. The window was open, light rain spatter was puddling around the cast iron radiator.

A man wearing a white coat, smart leather shoes was standing in front of the window looking down into the court yard. A large desk with a high leather chair divided her from him.

Softened noises from people could be heard between the patter of the rain. The door closed behind her.

The man turned partially around, his features were craggy, his white hair windswept across his sloped head. He smiled his lopsided grin as he gripped the back of the leather office chair.

The wind shifted blowing in a spray of cascading water. The head continued to turn, revealing blasted features of flexing muscle terminating in bone shards. Things writhed under his white jacket as he tapped the back of the chair.

One perfectly normal eye and another a bloodish black mess, constantly twitching, looked on her, as he ran his hand self consciously over his head, wiping away the rain. A thin smile ran across his ragged lips.

"Hello. Come closer so that we can begin."

The wind blew a little harder. The scalpels and sharpened bones hanging point down from the ceiling on near invisible threads, clinked against each other.       

The maid delivered a tray with notes, vials and the small box on the desk and departed. Closing the door with an ominous click behind her.

He walked from behind the desk and caressing the hard wood under his hands. "This generation is much more obedient than the last. It sees that it takes three generations before the will can be truly subsumed into obedience. Still, their resistance to the contagion is frustrating."

He walked ever closer to Sarah. His height becoming ever more apparent as he towered over her. "You do not need to be afraid little one. I will not hurt you. We have after all known each other for a long, long time. I miss our little conversations. How long has
it been again?"

Sarah looked up at the Doctor. Doctor Lasse Hessel, consulting virologist, the faded tag was still pinned to the lapel of his coat. "Over ten years, but we haven't really talked since the invasion."

"Ah yes, that. An unfortunate series of events, but still that allowed me to replenish my depleted genetic stock and gain some valuable creature comforts. You were always one of the better infiltrators. I considered you more valuable than some of the other brutes we had to call in to assist with the repelling."

The rain beat down as they both stared at each other. Finally the doctor coughed and continued, "What do you think of my patients?"

The doctor walked over to one of the glassed bookshelves, opening a bottle and pouring two amber coloured shots into whisky tumblers

Sara continued to stand where she had stood before, "You mean the people you have working here as slaves?"

he handed Sarah a glass. "Yes! What delightful and simple people. They do die out quickly, but they are our livestock and our purpose after all is to stand above them as their masters, while we still carry out our valuable work."

Sarah took a drink from the tumbler, the cut glass and warm liquid feeling strangely civilising in this world of shambles. The liquid hurt as it ran down her throat and then warmed her insides. The hand shook, it had been that long hadn't it?

"They serve a valuable purpose, stocking this research facility with living subject matter for us to better understand the contagion, while allowing me to continue undistracted in my work. For this reason I maintain strong quality control of all our patients, not allowing undesired elements to grow inside of our island of civilisation in this desolated landscape. A place free of disease and dissent."

The doctor opened the box. "A present for me? Please I have cat catchers of my own, but still appreciated." He held out one of the dead limp kittens in his hand smiling like a doting maniacal father.

"I thought I would show you, what I saw. I also saw two boys with a vehicle near one of the old schools." Sarah said carefully, she drank the rest of the whisky, the burn was hard and the madness restraining her in this joyously torturous situation.

He rifles through paperwork on the tray as he gnawed. "I see, Sarah Hansen is still what you like to be called?" he tut-tutted. "We really need to talk about your delusion, and perhaps your concept of a semblance of humanity." he waved vaguely at the box and the other items. 

He continued to read through the paperwork, "I see your blood work still shows the usual traces."

He looked up hungrily, "Sarah of course wouldn't know anything about these, but perhaps your father, Doctor Larsen would."

"I need to go. It was a mistake to come here." Sarah says as she places the glass on the floor. She takes a few steps back. Turning her back on the doctor was never safe, always dangerous.

"Sarah, Sarah, it was just a joke. Please stay, I miss your fascinating conversation. Please sit in my waiting room, while I make sure that these kittens are well taken care of. I will also explain the blood-work."

The doctor opened the side door and lead Sarah to a musty ill-kept room with bookshelves a leather divan and a patched leather armchair.

"Wait for me, please." The doctor said as he closed the door on her.

The doctor went to his desk and pulled out a heavy phone. he cranked the handle until the power indicators started up. He punched in a key sequence and held th receiver up to his undamaged ear. "Yes, put me through to that councilwoman on the Nordic Council in Reykjavik."

He took another bite from the small box on the desk. 

You are getting some strange depths in this. I am intrigued.

ButterflyWings

• Retired Moderator
  • Scout
« Reply #625 on: June 29, 2015, 07:01:07 AM »
There was a plan to actually do more exposition through dialogue, but I ran out of time yesterday. Between waking up late and cocktails.

I do have this concept of something going on, which puts things with a darker twist than the comic. I am just wondering should it truly be explored?
Speaks some: Finnish, English, Old English, Russian, Dutch, Ancient Greek, Latin, Arabic, German, French, Spanish

W̕e ̀l̵i͠e o̡n bu͏t̡te͘r͞f͟ly҉ ͞win͏gs̸ ìn͝ ̶th́is g͟oss̸ame̵re͡d d̀ecay,͞ ͢st҉ŗi̵n̶g͝s͘ ͝t҉o ͜needles ͠pi͏ęr̨ci̡ng̨ th̀e fles͝h́
Yo̷ù ̨make͘ m͘e ͢st͞r҉i̸p ̨dowń t̷o͘ t͡h̛e͢ bone,͘ t̴h̴en s͟t̕ùm͠ble͘ i̧n my͢ ̕foot́s̡tep̷s ̸seek̨ing ́a̡bs͏o͞lut̛i͠on

SectoBoss

• Ranger
« Reply #626 on: June 29, 2015, 07:50:58 AM »
The Pacific Rim crossover is finished! Two chapters this time, as the last one’s barely a page long:

http://archiveofourown.org/works/3803176/chapters/9575058

This started out as a fun little idea from Haiz on the crossover thread and somehow snowballed over several months into the nigh-on-20,000 word monster before you. How, I have no idea. But I would just like to say thanks to Haiz for hir endless support as I bumbled through it, and also to everyone who said Nice Things about it on AO3 and in the scriptorium here.

I hope you like it!
Native: :uk:  Remembers dregs: :france: :vaticancity:  Learning (slowly): :sweden:
Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
Proud owner of a Haizvatar
I write a bit on AO3

KicknRun

• Ranger
  • excitable hatred
  • Preferred pronouns: he/her
« Reply #627 on: June 29, 2015, 08:00:20 AM »
The Pacific Rim crossover is finished! Two chapters this time, as the last one’s barely a page long:

http://archiveofourown.org/works/3803176/chapters/9575058

This started out as a fun little idea from Haiz on the crossover thread and somehow snowballed over several months into the nigh-on-20,000 word monster before you. How, I have no idea. But I would just like to say thanks to Haiz for hir endless support as I bumbled through it, and also to everyone who said Nice Things about it on AO3 and in the scriptorium here.

I hope you like it!

Spoiler: show
wOW
THE FIGHT SCENES
THE EPILOGUE
EVERYTHING
I WAS GETTING WORRIED ABOUT THEM
LIKE GENUINELY WORRIED
AND LALLI PLEASE GET SOME SLEEP

:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
SSSSoulcount:0

Icon drawn by Piney

Russet

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
« Reply #628 on: June 29, 2015, 09:35:23 AM »
Russet: the one you wrote for Sigrun was very dark, but probably how, being Sigrun, she would respond to losing yet another team. Do you plan to do all the team members in such a scenario? It would be interesting though I think rather emotionally wearing. The difficult part would be getting enough variation in the individual scenes.
I myself prefer not to kill main cast characters in my stories, but I can see how it would be very challenging to write. And you would never look at the comic the same way again.
Similarly tragic and angsty, probably, but different scenarios. I just felt like the mass character death was sort of suitable for Sigrun's character, who seems so fearless and light-hearted but probably has had to lose many friends, considering how brutal things are over in Norway.

Also, settling myself in for a long read of Into the Storm, I'm really excited about the premise with the Pacific Rim crossover!

Róisín

« Reply #629 on: June 29, 2015, 09:47:53 AM »
Russet: it will be interesting to watch you develop this theme. Sigrun does strike me as someone who would keep the little notebook of the names of dead friends, and would go on being 'fearless and light-hearted' in their honour.
I can also see her, in great age, making some insanely heroic last stand so as not to have a straw-death. Like Beowulf.

SectoBoss and Haiz: that was so pulse-poundingly Boys Own Paper Adventure Story! Great stuff! Do it again!