Author Topic: The SSSS Scriptorium  (Read 780395 times)

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
Re: The SSSS Scriptorium
« Reply #600 on: June 28, 2015, 08:44:52 AM »
Okay, everybody seems to write things which makes me cry today. Let's see what will come next ^^°
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #601 on: June 28, 2015, 10:27:10 AM »
New Chapter of 'A Few of Mikkel's Secrets'. Sorry it took so long, life has been busy. One more chapter to go, which I will post likely within the week. (I have it written, just need to check spelling etc. This chapter is short, next will be long. Didn't want to post the rest of the story all at once, and splitting it evenly would have included spoilers for the end). And I haven't killed Lalli, however it may look! Promise!
I'm 'Tanist' over there, since I can't get their system to recognise 'Róisín'.

Here is the link to Chapter three.
http://archiveofourown.org/works/3856330/chapters/9557904

Here is the link to Chapter two
http://archiveofourown.org/works/3856330/chapters/9019474

Here is Chapter one, for those who haven't read it
http://archiveofourown.org/works/3856330/chapters/8611471
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

ButterflyWings

• Retired Moderator
  • Scout
« Reply #602 on: June 28, 2015, 10:40:19 AM »
Story: The Doctor and Sarah

Spoiler: show

The water was still washing down, the dog creature had long since departed and the two boys who had found the cat had left with their vehicle.

Sarah, struggled back onto her feet from among the foliage. Some of the bullets had torn ragged holes in the desks around her, and yet she had stayed untouched.

She steadied herself against the desk, it sagged a bit under her weight as she picked up her rucksack and rifle. She walked out through the entrance that the boys had been at. Four small furry objects lay on a small sand bar next to an opening in the wall. She leaned down and petted the little balls of fur. Some were still warm.

---

The rain was still falling when she stopped her car outside of the entrance to the Danish Museum of Art and Design. A small box rested in the passenger seat next to her rucksack.

She ignored the scene outside, of the sagging sand bags around the perimeter, the two rusting armoured personnel carriers, the faded signs indicating that there would be an exhibition nigh hundred years ago. The wind moved around to the smell of chemical smoke that wafted from the blackened windows.

She re-read the story. Sarah Hansen had won silver in the junior 10k run on the 6th of April. Two years later, her parents took a picture of her at the age of fifteen in a white washed room. The re-purposed exhibition space could be difficultly seen in the painting behind. Hospital space had run out and this was one of the major research hospitals still in existence. Sarah's parents had insisted on taking her home, even when the drug trials were still on going.

She closed the book. Tears came and the madness was again at her gates gnawing on her mind. She closed the photo book. She placed the photo book back into her rucksack, picked up the small box and exited the car.

She walked past the rusting vehicles, the open hatches black holes of  danger. She walked through the open gates into the courtyard. Se could feel eyes watching her from all sides. Somewhere a pig squealed.

She reached the main entrance, the closed door. A murder hole was opened and an eye stared back before the bolts were withdrawn, the door shuddered open.

A boy and a girl perhaps of fifteen years old stared back at her. They wore ragged uniforms, many times patched. One of them was dressed as a stable boy, the other as a maid. The lights flickered as she walked in and the bolts on the door were closed.

The boy coughed and the girl squeaked "Your weapons, please."

Sarah looked at the maid as the maid hastily gestured towards the garderobe with a bored woman in her mid twenties standing by the desk. The woman's body was slouched in easy laziness, but her eyes were hard, constantly looking at Sarah. Her mouth a dangerous white line as she held out her hand.

Sarah gave her the rifle and a pistol in her rucksack. She walked closer offering to open the box. Ever closer until they were near touching. The madness lurked ever mocking inside of her. Repulsed Sarah took a step back, the lazy woman quickly pointed to the maid.

"Prepare her to the doctor. Quick now." The maid jumped a bit and ushered Sarah up the stairs.

---

She was ushered into the high walled, glass book-cased interior, by a mouse of a receptionist. Sarah was dressed in a paper gown stamped with the new Swedish government symbol. She held on to her rucksack fro dear life. Even during the examination as the play acted a doctor's check-up, waving devices they barely understood in a robotic manner, she held on to her old rucksack.

She blinked in the light. The window was open, light rain spatter was puddling around the cast iron radiator.

A man wearing a white coat, smart leather shoes was standing in front of the window looking down into the court yard. A large desk with a high leather chair divided her from him.

Softened noises from people could be heard between the patter of the rain. The door closed behind her.

The man turned partially around, his features were craggy, his white hair windswept across his sloped head. He smiled his lopsided grin as he gripped the back of the leather office chair.

The wind shifted blowing in a spray of cascading water. The head continued to turn, revealing blasted features of flexing muscle terminating in bone shards. Things writhed under his white jacket as he tapped the back of the chair.

One perfectly normal eye and another a bloodish black mess, constantly twitching, looked on her, as he ran his hand self consciously over his head, wiping away the rain. A thin smile ran across his ragged lips.

"Hello. Come closer so that we can begin."

The wind blew a little harder. The scalpels and sharpened bones hanging point down from the ceiling on near invisible threads, clinked against each other.       

The maid delivered a tray with notes, vials and the small box on the desk and departed. Closing the door with an ominous click behind her.

He walked from behind the desk and caressing the hard wood under his hands. "This generation is much more obedient than the last. It sees that it takes three generations before the will can be truly subsumed into obedience. Still, their resistance to the contagion is frustrating."

He walked ever closer to Sarah. His height becoming ever more apparent as he towered over her. "You do not need to be afraid little one. I will not hurt you. We have after all known each other for a long, long time. I miss our little conversations. How long has
it been again?"

Sarah looked up at the Doctor. Doctor Lasse Hessel, consulting virologist, the faded tag was still pinned to the lapel of his coat. "Over ten years, but we haven't really talked since the invasion."

"Ah yes, that. An unfortunate series of events, but still that allowed me to replenish my depleted genetic stock and gain some valuable creature comforts. You were always one of the better infiltrators. I considered you more valuable than some of the other brutes we had to call in to assist with the repelling."

The rain beat down as they both stared at each other. Finally the doctor coughed and continued, "What do you think of my patients?"

The doctor walked over to one of the glassed bookshelves, opening a bottle and pouring two amber coloured shots into whisky tumblers

Sara continued to stand where she had stood before, "You mean the people you have working here as slaves?"

he handed Sarah a glass. "Yes! What delightful and simple people. They do die out quickly, but they are our livestock and our purpose after all is to stand above them as their masters, while we still carry out our valuable work."

Sarah took a drink from the tumbler, the cut glass and warm liquid feeling strangely civilising in this world of shambles. The liquid hurt as it ran down her throat and then warmed her insides. The hand shook, it had been that long hadn't it?

"They serve a valuable purpose, stocking this research facility with living subject matter for us to better understand the contagion, while allowing me to continue undistracted in my work. For this reason I maintain strong quality control of all our patients, not allowing undesired elements to grow inside of our island of civilisation in this desolated landscape. A place free of disease and dissent."

The doctor opened the box. "A present for me? Please I have cat catchers of my own, but still appreciated." He held out one of the dead limp kittens in his hand smiling like a doting maniacal father.

"I thought I would show you, what I saw. I also saw two boys with a vehicle near one of the old schools." Sarah said carefully, she drank the rest of the whisky, the burn was hard and the madness restraining her in this joyously torturous situation.

He rifles through paperwork on the tray as he gnawed. "I see, Sarah Hansen is still what you like to be called?" he tut-tutted. "We really need to talk about your delusion, and perhaps your concept of a semblance of humanity." he waved vaguely at the box and the other items. 

He continued to read through the paperwork, "I see your blood work still shows the usual traces."

He looked up hungrily, "Sarah of course wouldn't know anything about these, but perhaps your father, Doctor Larsen would."

"I need to go. It was a mistake to come here." Sarah says as she places the glass on the floor. She takes a few steps back. Turning her back on the doctor was never safe, always dangerous.

"Sarah, Sarah, it was just a joke. Please stay, I miss your fascinating conversation. Please sit in my waiting room, while I make sure that these kittens are well taken care of. I will also explain the blood-work."

The doctor opened the side door and lead Sarah to a musty ill-kept room with bookshelves a leather divan and a patched leather armchair.

"Wait for me, please." The doctor said as he closed the door on her.

The doctor went to his desk and pulled out a heavy phone. he cranked the handle until the power indicators started up. He punched in a key sequence and held th receiver up to his undamaged ear. "Yes, put me through to that councilwoman on the Nordic Council in Reykjavik."

He took another bite from the small box on the desk. 
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 05:03:13 PM by OnButterflyWings »
Speaks some: Finnish, English, Old English, Russian, Dutch, Ancient Greek, Latin, Arabic, German, French, Spanish

W̕e ̀l̵i͠e o̡n bu͏t̡te͘r͞f͟ly҉ ͞win͏gs̸ ìn͝ ̶th́is g͟oss̸ame̵re͡d d̀ecay,͞ ͢st҉ŗi̵n̶g͝s͘ ͝t҉o ͜needles ͠pi͏ęr̨ci̡ng̨ th̀e fles͝h́
Yo̷ù ̨make͘ m͘e ͢st͞r҉i̸p ̨dowń t̷o͘ t͡h̛e͢ bone,͘ t̴h̴en s͟t̕ùm͠ble͘ i̧n my͢ ̕foot́s̡tep̷s ̸seek̨ing ́a̡bs͏o͞lut̛i͠on

SectoBoss

• Ranger
« Reply #603 on: June 28, 2015, 11:12:59 AM »
New Chapter of 'A Few of Mikkel's Secrets'. Sorry it took so long, life has been busy. One more chapter to go, which I will post likely within the week.

This fanfic is going to some very interesting places! And I must say it's so cool to read a story written by someone who clearly has a good knowledge of folklore and old magics - it adds an extra dash of realism and depth that works really well. I'm looking forward to chapter 4!
Native: :uk:  Remembers dregs: :france: :vaticancity:  Learning (slowly): :sweden:
Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
Proud owner of a Haizvatar
I write a bit on AO3

Róisín

« Reply #604 on: June 28, 2015, 11:27:51 AM »
Thanks! Glad you like it. And hope you'll like the ending.

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #605 on: June 28, 2015, 12:25:58 PM »
New Chapter of 'A Few of Mikkel's Secrets'. Sorry it took so long, life has been busy. One more chapter to go, which I will post likely within the week. (I have it written, just need to check spelling etc. This chapter is short, next will be long. Didn't want to post the rest of the story all at once, and splitting it evenly would have included spoilers for the end). And I haven't killed Lalli, however it may look! Promise!
I'm 'Tanist' over there, since I can't get their system to recognise 'Róisín'.

Here is the link to Chapter three.
http://archiveofourown.org/works/3856330/chapters/9557904

Here is the link to Chapter two
http://archiveofourown.org/works/3856330/chapters/9019474

Here is Chapter one, for those who haven't read it
http://archiveofourown.org/works/3856330/chapters/8611471
All is veeeeeeery interesting :) And don't kill Lalli even later, thank.
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Róisín

« Reply #606 on: June 28, 2015, 07:02:22 PM »
Glad you like it! And I would never kill Lalli; that would be ....wrong.

misea

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • perpetually sleepy night owl
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her, they/their
« Reply #607 on: June 28, 2015, 08:40:36 PM »
the evening's dying light
^ My first fic on ao3? Haha, I don't know. /covers face with hands. I really don't know.
It's a lot of angsty Sigrun and death, um. Also, a little embarrassed about my habit of lowercase notes and titles which I picked up from the haikyuu fandom.

First of all, HOW DARE YOU.
Second, NO. NO NO NO. NONONONONONONONONONONO NOOOOOOOOOO
native :usa: | decent :france: | speak :china: | learning :spain: :italy: :sweden: :norway: :ireland: | wishlist: :finland: all

:chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :hat: :betterhat: :chap9:

courtesy of wolfie's magical intrnt skillz

LooNEY_DAC

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #608 on: June 28, 2015, 09:03:24 PM »
Trying, trying again.

Correspondence
A “Stand Still. Stay Silent” fanfic
Part I

Year 105, Spring

Lalli,

It’s hard for me to believe it, but ten years have passed since we last saw each other at the Björköfjärden Station. I am fine, and I hope you are also doing well.

The monsters have been very quiet this year, and my unit has successfully cleansed more land in this cycle than in any other, and, I’m happy to say, with the lowest losses in many cycles. The Press played it up when they found out, and the PR man here made some of us go to all sorts of dinners and such, but I find I’ve had a surfeit of such things since our return.

Our cleansing has brought us to the outskirts of Värmland County, and there are rumors flying everywhere that High Command is planning something huge, should the monsters remain as quiet as they have so far. One wild tale I heard bruited was that we would soon be cleansing Karlstad, of all places!

I should explain, as you are probably unconcerned with places so far away when you have so much to deal with at home. Karlstad was one of the Great Old Cities, sitting where our longest river meets our greatest lake. The Dalahästen runs nearby, but not close enough to justify retaking the city. If anything, the city of Kristinehamn would be a better choice, as it all but abuts the line. But such matters are not for me to say.

If you would be so kind as to send me a few lines in return on how things go with you and yours, I would be most appreciative. My Uncle Torbjörn and Aunt Siv send their regards.

Your friend,
Emil “the Messy Swede” Västerström
Year 105, Summer

Lalli,

Pass along my thanks to Tuuri for the long letter on all the comings and goings at Keuruu. We have been preparing so intensely for this next cycle that sometimes it seems to fill our whole world, and so it is good to hear of the “mundane” things still going on outside. During a recent mess-time, I read the part about Onni and the Cursed Machine to my table-mates; upon looking up, I found the whole company was gathered ‘round to hear. I have since read other parts to them; it’s become a silly little tradition among us.

It would seem some of the rumors have been borne out: we are, indeed, to try to retake Kristinehamn in this cycle, as a preliminary to our long-term goal of Karlstad. The man from the High Command had an odd, feverish glint in his eyes when he told our assembly this, and that perhaps was why my stomach lurched. I cannot help but think that High Command may be planning to overreach itself--but, in the end, they know best what the Cleansers as a whole can do.

Your compliments on my improved Finnish writing are, naturally, undeserved: there’s a nice young woman in my unit who translates both Finnish and Icelandic for me, a Fenno-Swede who joined the Cleansers a year or two back. In many ways, she reminds me of you and Tuuri. (The last sentence made her blush.)

Please do not take my praise of Tuuri’s loquacious letter as a criticism of your own; I’m happy to read even the briefest of lines from you.

Your Cleanser friend,
Emil Västerström

And no, you'll never see Lalli's or Tuuri's letters.

videovance

« Reply #609 on: June 29, 2015, 12:36:07 AM »
Trying, trying again.

Correspondence
Part I

Year 105, Spring

Lalli,

It’s hard for me to believe it, but ten years have passed since we last saw each other at the Björköfjärden Station. I am fine, and I hope you are also doing well.

The monsters have been very quiet this year, and my unit has successfully cleansed more land in this cycle than in any other, and, I’m happy to say, with the lowest losses in many cycles. The Press played it up when they found out, and the PR man here made some of us go to all sorts of dinners and such, but I find I’ve had a surfeit of such things since our return.

Our cleansing has brought us to the outskirts of Värmland County, and there are rumors flying everywhere that High Command is planning something huge, should the monsters remain as quiet as they have so far. One wild tale I heard bruited was that we would soon be cleansing Karlstad, of all places!

I should explain, as you are probably unconcerned with places so far away when you have so much to deal with at home. Karlstad was one of the Great Old Cities, sitting where our longest river meets our greatest lake. The Dalahästen runs nearby, but not close enough to justify retaking the city. If anything, the city of Kristinehamn would be a better choice, as it all but abuts the line. But such matters are not for me to say.

If you would be so kind as to send me a few lines in return on how things go with you and yours, I would be most appreciative. My Uncle Torbjörn and Aunt Siv send their regards.

Your friend,
Year 105, Summer

Lalli,

Pass along my thanks to Tuuri for the long letter on all the comings and goings at Keuruu. We have been preparing so intensely for this next cycle that sometimes it seems to fill our whole world, and so it is good to hear of the “mundane” things still going on outside. During a recent mess-time, I read the part about Onni and the Cursed Machine to my table-mates; upon looking up, I found the whole company was gathered ‘round to hear. I have since read other parts to them; it’s become a silly little tradition among us.

It would seem some of the rumors have been borne out: we are, indeed, to try to retake Kristinehamn in this cycle, as a preliminary to our long-term goal of Karlstad. The man from the High Command had an odd, feverish glint in his eyes when he told our assembly this, and that perhaps was why my stomach lurched. I cannot help but think that High Command may be planning to overreach itself--but, in the end, they know best what the Cleansers as a whole can do.

Your compliments on my improved Finnish writing are, naturally, undeserved: there’s a nice young woman in my unit who translates both Finnish and Icelandic for me, a Fenno-Swede who joined the Cleansers a year or two back. In many ways, she reminds me of you and Tuuri. (The last sentence made her blush.)

Please do not take my praise of Tuuri’s loquacious letter as a criticism of your own; I’m happy to read even the briefest of lines from you.

Your Cleanser friend,
Emil Västerström

Oh wow, this is shaping up to be quite excellent! Is there an AO3 link or some compounded version that this will be updated on? I'd hate to lose track of any updates! ;A;

Bouncey

« Reply #610 on: June 29, 2015, 01:32:23 AM »

Evil, you are! But I like it so far!

Talimee

• Scout
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #611 on: June 29, 2015, 02:49:42 AM »
Trying, trying again.

Correspondence
Part I

Year 105, Spring

Lalli,

Your friend,
Year 105, Summer

Lalli,

Your Cleanser friend,
Emil Västerström

Uuuuh. :) I like your choice of style. (And the rest as well) Will you keep it? And Emil's last sentence made me go all "awwww".
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 03:06:10 AM by Talimee »
[22:31] <@amity> And they care about only two things: Emil/Lalli fanfic, and chewing bubblegum.
[22:31] <@amity> And the word is, they're all out of bubblegum.

Survived:
:chap5::chap6::chap7: :chap20:
:chap8::chap9::chap10:
:chap11::chap12::chap13:
:chap14::chap15::chap16:
:chap17::chap18::chap19:

Róisín

« Reply #612 on: June 29, 2015, 03:05:14 AM »
LooNEY, I like the start of 'Correspondence'. Hope you plan to write more of the tale, but I confess to having a bad feeling about the planning for their proposed city-cleansing. If even Emil thinks something isn't right..... Maybe he has grown up a bit.
I wait with interest!

ParanormalAndroid

« Reply #613 on: June 29, 2015, 03:15:54 AM »
Trying, trying again.

Correspondence
Part I
It's a really interesting idea in terms of exposition (*shakes fist because he didn't think of it first*) and it's very well-written, but, um, would Emil be formal to such a degree that he uses "loquacious" and "surfeit"? I don't think it especially detracts from the story, but it just doesn't seem to me like how he'd talk.

Róisín

« Reply #614 on: June 29, 2015, 03:58:00 AM »
I don't know, I can see Emil growing up into the sort of stuffy Victorian-era young-middle-aged man who has a nice suburban house, wears vests and talks like an etiquette textbook, when he isn't doing his very dangerous job.
I can also see him tossing it all in an instant for a chance at one more adventure (by which he might mean: one more adventure with the old crew).