Author Topic: The SSSS Scriptorium  (Read 779908 times)

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
Re: The SSSS Scriptorium
« Reply #585 on: June 26, 2015, 05:50:48 AM »
Do continue. Interested to see where you go.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

LooNEY_DAC

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #586 on: June 26, 2015, 11:02:39 PM »
Almost to the end now…

Run Fast, Run Far
A “Stand Still. Stay Silent” fanfic
Part IX
Spoiler: show
The Last Great Obstacle

Tuuri, Onni and Reynir huddled behind Sigrun and Emil, the solid bulk of Mikkel at their backs. The blank, featureless plain before them was filled with giants, mostly agglomerated beasts of all shapes and sizes, and every one of them was making for their little knot.

Lalli flashed into being right in front of them, and a voice erupted into speech, both voice and speech harsh and hideous.

“So, the Seven are assembled
Ready now to meet the Monster
So behold the Rash Incarnate

Think you now to overthrow me?
Better foes than you have all failed!

Come and strike! Your doom awaits you!”

As the speech went on, giant after giant stepped into a central pile and merged, blending together into an immense obscenity of gross, gross, gross-grossling beyond description. Once it had finished, it and its comparatively minuscule followers moved towards the seven once more.

Lalli stepped forward, his reed-thin frame ludicrously small against the obscenities approaching them. “Emil, Sigrun,” he said quietly, “I need for you to keep the little ones away from us. Don’t bother with the big one.” His eyes were shining with blue light. Sigrun nodded briskly and turned back to the oncoming horrors; Emil looked troubled briefly, but shrugged and also turned away.

“Reynir,” Onni said quietly, “shut your eyes and recite with us.”

His eyes wide, Reynir stammered, “B-b-but how will I know what to say?”

Onni looked deep into Reynir’s eyes. “You will know. Trust me.”

Lalli began to chant, Onni joining on the second line, Reynir on the third, and even Tuuri on the fourth:

“Captive souls by Rash corrupted
Quicken once again to action
Rise now at this call to vengeance

Turn upon your Rash tormentor
Break its bonds and take your freedom
Seek out your eternal respite
Striking back at your oppressor

Now in concert we implore thee
Overcome the foe’s enthralling
And avenge yourselves upon it!”

Blue energy like a great wave flowed out from the little knot, swerving this way and that until it found the Rash Embodied, and began to suffuse it, illuminating the various individuals the Rash had forced into merging to form its being. As each was illuminated, they began to struggle, some more successfully than others, until the whole huge form was dissolving into a mass of individual people trying to escape that which had kept them enslaved to it for so long. A few, a very few even broke away completely, and began trying to help the others or attacking the still enslaved.

The other Rash bits were joining the main one now, trying to reestablish its/their dominance over the rebelling slaves by throwing ever more numbers at them, but this only allowed their own components to join the uprising. Soon, nothing was left standing but the seven, the freed souls leaping from their plague-riddled bodies as the power of the Rash simply ceased to be.

For a moment, no one moved, until Emil decided that the motionless heaps before them would look better if they were aflame. And he was quite right...

LooNEY_DAC

• DeviantArt
« Reply #587 on: June 27, 2015, 11:59:23 AM »
And there's an end, sort of.

Run Fast, Run Far
A “Stand Still. Stay Silent” fanfic
Part X
Spoiler: show
Do Stories Ever Truly End?

They were all back in the Place of the Bear, Onni spectrally, the others in the flesh--and Reynir and Tuuri were wearing their masks now. “Hey!” Emil exclaimed suddenly. “Isn’t this the place we found just before--”

“Of course it is, Emil,” Lalli said, drawing stares from all but Reynir & Onni. “This is where our quest began, and this is where it ends.”

“Aptly put.”

The Old Man was looking at the confused mortals with a smile in his eyes as he stepped out of the fog. “Of course, your story will go on; it’s barely begun, in fact. But this quest is ended, and ended in victory, as was foretold. Your sister-world and many others like it have been made safe from the Rash; it must suffice itself of those worlds it already holds, and that number will begin to shrink shortly, I believe.”

“What is the Rash, really?”

Now the Old man was truly smiling. “That would be telling, wouldn’t it?” He turned away. “If you leave now, you will be clear before this place collapses, and no harm will come to you. Farewell.”

Onni vanished abruptly, startling the others into motion. A low rumbling began in the depths beneath them as they filed back through the labyrinth of corridors that would lead them out, and the rumbling rose in intensity with every step they took.

Once they were out in the open, Sigrun shook her head. “Well, that was a bust. Even with all of us searching that museum place, we didn’t find anything.”

“Actually,” Tuuri piped up, “Lalli and I found a few really old scrolls. I put them in my sack, here.” She gingerly held it open to show the others.

“I still think bringing Tuuri and Reynir was a bad idea,” Mikkel said. “I know we had to this time, but we shouldn’t make a habit of it, for their sake.”

“I agree,” Sigrun surprised them by saying. She looked at Tuuri and continued, “If there had been the least little grossling in there, the two of you might have been infected, and then what would I have told Miss Taru?”

After a moment of silent thought, Lalli spoke. Emil couldn’t catch a word of it, but Tuuri was listening attentively. Emil gave himself a small shake. Why on earth would he half-expect to understand what Lalli was saying?

Tuuri spoke. “Lalli says he found another place that might be worth looking at, though he didn’t see it on our map.”

Sigrun shrugged. “Well, when we get back to the vehicle, he can show us where it is.” She stretched. “Is anyone else up for an early lunch?”

Firmly in agreement on this last, the band set off for their roving home...

Spoiler: The Complete Links to Run Fast, Run Far • show
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 09:24:43 PM by LooNEY_DAC »

LooNEY_DAC

• DeviantArt
« Reply #588 on: June 27, 2015, 10:06:50 PM »
And the end of my monster fic is met with deafening silence.
So, should I bother to ask for feedback?

Bouncey

« Reply #589 on: June 27, 2015, 10:21:35 PM »
Go ahead, ask for feedback ;)

I think it's wonderful; I'd have to reread it a few times to really evaluate anything about it.

I wonder who you could get to illustrate it ;)

KMK

• Scout
« Reply #590 on: June 27, 2015, 10:30:00 PM »

I like what I have read. I think I missed an installment or two though.

Róisín

« Reply #592 on: June 27, 2015, 10:51:25 PM »
LooNEY: interesting story. Any chance you could put all of it in one place so I (and I'm sure others) could read it all at once? Filling in the missing bits would be good!

EDIT: your list came in while this was posting. Thanks!
« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 10:53:53 PM by Róisín »

Róisín

« Reply #593 on: June 27, 2015, 11:52:31 PM »
Finally read it all in sequence. Thank you! Fascinating premise. I do so like to to see a bit of folklore and magic among the tech. By the way, can any of the Icelandic/Finnish speakers tell us what is the proper word(s) in those tongues for what in Gaelic would be geas/geasa? I noticed that you used the Gaelic term, and while I know several of the Nordic languages have an equivalent term, it's long enough ago I heard it that I don't have it in memory, and didn't write it down. I remember it as occurring in a couple of the really early poems?

But yeah, loved the story!

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #594 on: June 28, 2015, 12:28:18 AM »

I liked it a lot, especially Our Crew's encounters with their forebears and the subtle humor of the chapter titles.  And I liked the fragmented, elliptical story structure -- very elegant. 

But to tell the truth, I had trouble figuring out exactly what was going on.  I realize "that would be telling" to reveal exactly what the Rash is; and maybe the specific identity and creed of the cultists is irrelevant.  Still, on first reading I wasn't entirely clear on (for example) the connection between the site of our team's raid and the cultists' Evil Headquarters, or how the Abomination is different from people who had the Rash (or why the cultists had different plans for it). 

Maybe just a little more connective tissue?  Or would that be like asking Henry James what "really" happened in The Turn of the Screw
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Russet

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
  • eaten by the trolls that took over the tropics.
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #595 on: June 28, 2015, 08:30:27 AM »
the evening's dying light
^ My first fic on ao3? Haha, I don't know. /covers face with hands. I really don't know.
It's a lot of angsty Sigrun and death, um. Also, a little embarrassed about my habit of lowercase notes and titles which I picked up from the haikyuu fandom.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 08:32:19 AM by Russet »
:artd: | :chap0::chap1::chap2::chap7::chap8::chap9::chap10:
Fluent: :uk: :china: :malaysia:
Learning: :japan: :france:

KicknRun

• Ranger
  • excitable hatred
  • Preferred pronouns: he/her
« Reply #596 on: June 28, 2015, 08:39:18 AM »
^ My first fic on ao3? Haha, I don't know. /covers face with hands. I really don't know.
It's a lot of angsty Sigrun and death, um. Also, a little embarrassed about my habit of lowercase notes and titles which I picked up from the haikyuu fandom.

DO
NOT
NO
NOT

:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
SSSSoulcount:0

Icon drawn by Piney

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #597 on: June 28, 2015, 08:39:54 AM »
Okay, no, I'm still not ready to read that kind of fanfics *Curls up herself in a corner, crying*

DO
NOT
NO
NOT
Hey, you tried something like that first ! ;)
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

KicknRun

• Ranger
  • excitable hatred
  • Preferred pronouns: he/her
« Reply #598 on: June 28, 2015, 08:42:29 AM »

Hey, you tried something like that first ! ;)

IT AMUSES ME

:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
SSSSoulcount:0

Icon drawn by Piney

Russet

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
  • eaten by the trolls that took over the tropics.
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #599 on: June 28, 2015, 08:43:05 AM »
DO
NOT
NO
NOT
I AM SORRY MY FRIEND FORGIVE ME HERE HAVE SOME CAKE /shoves cake in your face
:artd: | :chap0::chap1::chap2::chap7::chap8::chap9::chap10:
Fluent: :uk: :china: :malaysia:
Learning: :japan: :france: