Author Topic: The SSSS Scriptorium  (Read 779966 times)

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
Re: The SSSS Scriptorium
« Reply #570 on: June 22, 2015, 02:46:49 AM »
By request (sort of)

The Forest, the Flames, and the Old, Old Man
A “Stand Still. Stay Silent” fanfic

Spoiler: show

Year 160

The fire had died before the old man’s death was noticed. The whole area went into a show of mourning for the passing of a living legend, and it was not until many years later that anyone noticed the remarkable coincidence that his Finn counterpart had likewise died on that same eve.

Dammit, LooNEY, how do you keep on doing it?!?   :o  OK, torture me, but keep it up!

1. It reminded me of this: http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/thomas-jefferson-and-john-adams-die

2. I'm probably slow on the pickup, but who are the last couple to show up, presumably in the Dreamworld?  Lalli's parents?
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

LooNEY_DAC

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #571 on: June 22, 2015, 02:53:50 AM »
1. It reminded me of this: http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/thomas-jefferson-and-john-adams-die

2. I'm probably slow on the pickup, but who are the last couple to show up, presumably in the Dreamworld?  Lalli's parents?

1. It was meant to, of course. Ever since seeing/hearing it dramatized in "The American Revolution", I've loved that story.

2. Yes, they were. The request I alluded to was this: https://ssssforum.com/index.php?topic=448.msg36439#msg36439

ButterflyWings

• Retired Moderator
  • Scout
« Reply #572 on: June 22, 2015, 03:15:52 AM »
I really liked it. Simple yet elegant.

It does need a juxtaposition for it to function in a wider context, but it was a nice autumnal piece of writing.

By request (sort of)

Year 160

The old, old man sat by the fireplace, as he had every night for more years than he cared to count.

No one else in the house spoke to him while he was in his reverie: not the servants, for fear of their jobs; not his many, many progeny, now of the third and even fourth degree, for to them, he had long since become more legend than paterfamilias; in fact, few would even dare to go near him, whether staring into the fire or not. So there was no one to talk to him for any but the most banal reasons, and, by and large, that was the way he liked it.

But if someone had asked him why he sat by the fire every evening, he wouldn’t have brushed them off, but instead would have told them, “I’m waiting.”

The flames danced before his ancient face as entrancingly as they had since the days of his youth, and he smiled to see them. Or rather, his eyes smiled; his face hadn’t made that expression since his lady had left him to deal with an all too adulatory world by himself. The irony of having attained the dream of his youth only to find it as callow as youth itself was not lost on him; in fact, had there been anyone around who didn’t grovel in his presence, he would have laughed over it with them. But there was no one like that around anymore.

The knowledge that he was not alone came over the old man slowly, but the discovery was in no way unwelcome. Without turning his head, he spoke. “Hello, Lalli.”

“It has been a long time, Emil.” This speech should have surprised the old man, being both in Swedish and longer by half than anything Lalli usually said. Somehow, though, it didn’t. Neither did the discovery that the two of them were now seated together in a beautiful forest glade, the fire now a bonfire in a stone-lined pit.

“It has been a very long time, Lalli; too long, perhaps?” None of the old man’s kin would have recognized the diffident, almost apologetic tones of this statement.

“It is never so long as to be too long; not between the two of us. Not when you’ve been so patiently waiting.”

The old man finally smiled then, and they began to talk. They talked of everything and nothing, the years falling farther away with each word. Time itself seemed to pause out of respect for their conversation, and the duo grew lighter and lighter of heart.

Eventually, though, they fell silent, a silence only possible between such friends as they. The old man was watching the flames dance again when Lalli’s face changed.

The old man looked up. Out from the depths of the forest, figures were coming toward them. There was no need to worry, though, for these were most familiar figures. Madcap Sigrun, hair flaming to match the joy in her eyes; grave but mischievous Mikkel; Tuuri, trying to outshine the sun with her smile; silly Reynir, looking as bashful as ever; and many others. Finally, one last couple emerged.

The old man had been keeping one eye on Lalli’s face, and at these last arrivals, the old man saw his face explode into the only true smile he’d ever seen on Lalli. That was enough so that the old man knew who they were.

Lalli stood. The old man knew Lalli meant to join them, and a keening sadness warred with joy for his friend in his heart. Then Lalli turned, still smiling, and held out his hand. As the old man took it, he felt the last of the years and cares fall away, and, Emil once more, he walked with his friend into the woods.

The fire had died before the old man’s death was noticed. The whole area went into a show of mourning for the passing of a living legend, and it was not until many years later that anyone noticed the remarkable coincidence that his Finn counterpart had likewise died on that same eve.

Speaks some: Finnish, English, Old English, Russian, Dutch, Ancient Greek, Latin, Arabic, German, French, Spanish

W̕e ̀l̵i͠e o̡n bu͏t̡te͘r͞f͟ly҉ ͞win͏gs̸ ìn͝ ̶th́is g͟oss̸ame̵re͡d d̀ecay,͞ ͢st҉ŗi̵n̶g͝s͘ ͝t҉o ͜needles ͠pi͏ęr̨ci̡ng̨ th̀e fles͝h́
Yo̷ù ̨make͘ m͘e ͢st͞r҉i̸p ̨dowń t̷o͘ t͡h̛e͢ bone,͘ t̴h̴en s͟t̕ùm͠ble͘ i̧n my͢ ̕foot́s̡tep̷s ̸seek̨ing ́a̡bs͏o͞lut̛i͠on

SectoBoss

• Ranger
« Reply #573 on: June 22, 2015, 03:52:36 AM »
By request (sort of)

A very fine line between sad and heartwarming there! I love it!

(And thanks to everyone who said nice things about that horrible lie concerning frisbees I posted a couple of days ago)
Native: :uk:  Remembers dregs: :france: :vaticancity:  Learning (slowly): :sweden:
Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
Proud owner of a Haizvatar
I write a bit on AO3

AquaAurion

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #574 on: June 22, 2015, 05:08:06 AM »
By request (sort of)

Year 160

The old, old man sat by the fireplace, as he had every night for more years than he cared to count.

No one else in the house spoke to him while he was in his reverie: not the servants, for fear of their jobs; not his many, many progeny, now of the third and even fourth degree, for to them, he had long since become more legend than paterfamilias; in fact, few would even dare to go near him, whether staring into the fire or not. So there was no one to talk to him for any but the most banal reasons, and, by and large, that was the way he liked it.

But if someone had asked him why he sat by the fire every evening, he wouldn’t have brushed them off, but instead would have told them, “I’m waiting.”

The flames danced before his ancient face as entrancingly as they had since the days of his youth, and he smiled to see them. Or rather, his eyes smiled; his face hadn’t made that expression since his lady had left him to deal with an all too adulatory world by himself. The irony of having attained the dream of his youth only to find it as callow as youth itself was not lost on him; in fact, had there been anyone around who didn’t grovel in his presence, he would have laughed over it with them. But there was no one like that around anymore.

The knowledge that he was not alone came over the old man slowly, but the discovery was in no way unwelcome. Without turning his head, he spoke. “Hello, Lalli.”

“It has been a long time, Emil.” This speech should have surprised the old man, being both in Swedish and longer by half than anything Lalli usually said. Somehow, though, it didn’t. Neither did the discovery that the two of them were now seated together in a beautiful forest glade, the fire now a bonfire in a stone-lined pit.

“It has been a very long time, Lalli; too long, perhaps?” None of the old man’s kin would have recognized the diffident, almost apologetic tones of this statement.

“It is never so long as to be too long; not between the two of us. Not when you’ve been so patiently waiting.”

The old man finally smiled then, and they began to talk. They talked of everything and nothing, the years falling farther away with each word. Time itself seemed to pause out of respect for their conversation, and the duo grew lighter and lighter of heart.

Eventually, though, they fell silent, a silence only possible between such friends as they. The old man was watching the flames dance again when Lalli’s face changed.

The old man looked up. Out from the depths of the forest, figures were coming toward them. There was no need to worry, though, for these were most familiar figures. Madcap Sigrun, hair flaming to match the joy in her eyes; grave but mischievous Mikkel; Tuuri, trying to outshine the sun with her smile; silly Reynir, looking as bashful as ever; and many others. Finally, one last couple emerged.

The old man had been keeping one eye on Lalli’s face, and at these last arrivals, the old man saw his face explode into the only true smile he’d ever seen on Lalli. That was enough so that the old man knew who they were.

Lalli stood. The old man knew Lalli meant to join them, and a keening sadness warred with joy for his friend in his heart. Then Lalli turned, still smiling, and held out his hand. As the old man took it, he felt the last of the years and cares fall away, and, Emil once more, he walked with his friend into the woods.

What did you do to me?? I can't stop crying. This was beautiful. I don't know what to say.

Eagerly waiting since November 2014:  :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02:
(✿σ‿σ) ~<3

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #575 on: June 22, 2015, 05:52:22 AM »
By request (sort of)

Year 160

That was a really strange experience. I know I should probably feel sad and maybe I do but it also made me somehow happy? So sweet, melancholy and yes, heartwarming, I loved to read it.
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

ParanormalAndroid

« Reply #576 on: June 22, 2015, 07:24:09 AM »
By request (sort of)

Year 160

A lot of talent evident in your works here. Use of language was very good, and it moved very fluidly.
It was also very sad, but almost bittersweet in how you portrayed the final part.
Really impressive work though.

Daéa Reina

• Tumblr
  • well, I'm trying
« Reply #577 on: June 22, 2015, 10:27:35 AM »
By request (sort of)

Year 160

That was so beautiful and sad! I really love it! Thank you for writing it. I don't know whether to laugh or cry.
native :brazil:  |  decent :usa: :spain:  |  wants to learn :germany: :finland: :france:

I'm a survivor: :artd: :book1+: (-1) :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

"There's no better place on earth than the road that leads to Heaven."

Solovei

• Tumblr
  • You name it, Captain Solo will ship it.
« Reply #578 on: June 23, 2015, 12:53:55 PM »
Since not all of you on Tumblr, I've put up my latest prompt thing on AO3 as well!
http://archiveofourown.org/works/4192722
:hat:Support your fanfic authors!:betterhat:
Co-admin of the SSSS Wiki | AO3 |
:chap2:
:chap3:
:chap4:
:chap5:
:chap6:
:chap7:
:chap8:

Fluent: :canada: :russia:
Managing to stumble through: :sweden:

SectoBoss

• Ranger
« Reply #579 on: June 23, 2015, 02:17:52 PM »
Since not all of you on Tumblr, I've put up my latest prompt thing on AO3 as well!

Cool idea, great little story, and *dumroll* the 50th fanfic on AO3!

Yay!
Native: :uk:  Remembers dregs: :france: :vaticancity:  Learning (slowly): :sweden:
Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
Proud owner of a Haizvatar
I write a bit on AO3

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #580 on: June 23, 2015, 02:27:16 PM »

This was just... so awesome to read. :D I loved every moment (especially the elephant).
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

misea

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • perpetually sleepy night owl
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her, they/their
« Reply #581 on: June 23, 2015, 03:07:33 PM »
By request (sort of)

Year 160

LAKFHDKHJSDFGAKJHSFAKSJLFHSDGKJHl. AEFHIOJLSGDKUJHLIUEGFLIU GT(QY@*#RLLGI U#ELYGUIF. *cries*
« Last Edit: June 23, 2015, 03:09:07 PM by misea »
native :usa: | decent :france: | speak :china: | learning :spain: :italy: :sweden: :norway: :ireland: | wishlist: :finland: all

:chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :hat: :betterhat: :chap9:

courtesy of wolfie's magical intrnt skillz

Solovei

• Tumblr
  • You name it, Captain Solo will ship it.
« Reply #582 on: June 23, 2015, 06:03:57 PM »
Cool idea, great little story, and *dumroll* the 50th fanfic on AO3!

Yay!
I know!! Aren't we great?  8)
(incidentally, I'm very surprised at how in character Sigrun came out, having never written her before. This is good news, for me, I think! I might do more with her now.
:hat:Support your fanfic authors!:betterhat:
Co-admin of the SSSS Wiki | AO3 |
:chap2:
:chap3:
:chap4:
:chap5:
:chap6:
:chap7:
:chap8:

Fluent: :canada: :russia:
Managing to stumble through: :sweden:

LooNEY_DAC

• DeviantArt
« Reply #583 on: June 25, 2015, 09:43:35 PM »
I know, I know, it's late… but here it is anyway.

Run Fast, Run Far
Part VIII
Running After
The heat rose around it (What is this what’s happening I don’t understand) like an oven, revivifying it (I was so sick I can’t feel my legs am I dead) even as the light strove to kill it (So much pain I just want to sleep why is this happening). They had given it (No no no no no this is just a fever dream please let it be a fever dream) an umbrella as protection from the fiendish sun, but the reflections from everything else were still painful enough that it (What am I how did this happen make it stop) needed to find a hole to shelter in. Thus it was that it (I just want to go home why can’t I go home) scuttled across the fiery land in unconscious comedy, the umbrella whipping this way and that as a breeze caught it or its holder (Someone please help me HELP ME) paused to test the ground.
This whole “vectoring-everyone-else-in” thing was getting frustrating for Lalli, especially as he had to go through Reynir, who, while enthusiastic and not actually that bad of a communicator, wasn’t Tuuri. He was starting to miss the others’ voices, even though their speech was gibberish. How weird. He glanced at the spectral form Onni, wondering if he should try talking this over with his older, more experienced cousin, who had been more like a parent to him and to Tuuri after What Had Happened. Onni was looking back at him, and the two exchanged a wordless conversation that told Lalli all he needed to know.
The view in the Well shifted abruptly as the last of the cultists fell, moving from the ruins of their compound to a stretch of open ground where a single troll was trying to flee. Lalli was about to pass this along through Reynir to Turri and beyond when he saw Emil running up after it.
As Emil fired at the troll, he saw the car swinging around behind it to cut it off. That was good, but Tuuri--
The car was gone.
Wait, what? Where could the car have gone? What happened to Tuuri and Mikkel? Emil was almost distracted enough to let the troll hit him, but not quite. The troll got his gun, though, but since Sigrun had snuck up on its blind side, it didn’t matter. What mattered, Emil thought as he jogged towards where the car had been, Sigrun swiftly following after setting the final carcass aflame, was--what had happened to their friends?
“Can you see them, Sigrun?” Emil stopped and looked back. He was alone.
The phone! But he didn’t speak Icelandic. Oh, my. Perhaps Reynir would know what he meant anyway?
Lalli had watched his friends vanish even as they vanquished the final troll. “Reynir?” he yelped. “What is happening?” But no one answered. Even Onni’s presence had vanished. A vortex formed in the Well of Watching...

ButterflyWings

• Retired Moderator
  • Scout
« Reply #584 on: June 26, 2015, 05:03:41 AM »
Here's a bit I wrote today. Should I continue?

Old Man Gray, excerpt Y90.

She was ushered into the high walled, glass book-cased interior, by a mouse of a receptionist.

The window was open, light rain spatter was puddling around the cast iron radiator.

A man wearing a white coat, smart leather shoes was standing in front of the window looking down into the court yard. A large desk with a high leather chair divided her from him.

Softened noises from people could be heard between the patter of the rain. The door closed behind her.

The man turned partially around, his features were craggy, his white hair windswept across his bulbous head. He smiled his lopsided grin as he gripped the back of the office chair.

The wind shifted blowing in a spray of cascading water. The head continued to turn, revealing blasted features of flexing muscle terminating in bone shards. Things writhed under his white jacket as he tapped the back of the chair.

One perfectly normal eye and another a bloodish black mess, constantly twitching, looked on her, as he ran his hand self consciously over his head, wiping away the rain. A thin smile ran across his ragged lips.

"Hello. Come closer so that we can begin."

The wind blew a little harder. The scalpels and sharpened bones hanging point down from the ceiling on near invisible threads, clinked against each other.

« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 07:11:47 AM by OnButerflyWings »
Speaks some: Finnish, English, Old English, Russian, Dutch, Ancient Greek, Latin, Arabic, German, French, Spanish

W̕e ̀l̵i͠e o̡n bu͏t̡te͘r͞f͟ly҉ ͞win͏gs̸ ìn͝ ̶th́is g͟oss̸ame̵re͡d d̀ecay,͞ ͢st҉ŗi̵n̶g͝s͘ ͝t҉o ͜needles ͠pi͏ęr̨ci̡ng̨ th̀e fles͝h́
Yo̷ù ̨make͘ m͘e ͢st͞r҉i̸p ̨dowń t̷o͘ t͡h̛e͢ bone,͘ t̴h̴en s͟t̕ùm͠ble͘ i̧n my͢ ̕foot́s̡tep̷s ̸seek̨ing ́a̡bs͏o͞lut̛i͠on