Author Topic: The SSSS Scriptorium  (Read 780181 times)

LooNEY_DAC

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • DeviantArt
Re: The SSSS Scriptorium
« Reply #540 on: June 17, 2015, 02:44:38 AM »
Yes, yes, it took me long enough.

Run Fast, Run Far
A “Stand Still. Stay Silent” fanfic
Part IV
Spoiler: show
The Road to Perdition

Sigrun’s journey from Bergen had not gone terribly well. While she’d made the trip from Dalsnes on Gunnar’s boat (no, they still hadn’t fixed the road) just fine, the long-suffering flight staff had been forced to give Sigrun sedatives (the single strongest drink they could pour, with a little extra stuff thrown in for good measure) once the plane took off and she realized they were off-the-ground-what-devilry-is-this flying, but by the time she reached Oran, they’d worn off. She really had no idea how she’d been transferred at this “deGaulle Airport” place, but she assumed that it was better that way.

The lines, crowds, more lines and more crowds were beginning to get to her. At first, she’d been (more) able to tamp the instinctive agoraphobia of even an immune Y90 denizen down, but as she wove her way through the massive lines and crowds that characterized this era’s air travel, it kept gnawing at her more and more. There were just too many people all piled into this place, and every one seemed intent on jostling her. A few times, she’d had to give someone a Look (as opposed to a blow), which had generally scared the offender off, to her relief. These Old Timers weren’t the most courageous bunch, either.

The others were waiting for her by the “Baggage Claim” carousel-thing. Sigrun suppressed a shudder as she glanced at it again. These Old Time machines could be worse than any trolls, for with trolls at least you knew where they would and wouldn’t fit. The machines could be anywhere, though, and do just about anything, even (Sigrun suppressed another shudder) talk. It was just so... unnatural.

Tuuri, Mikkel, and Emil looked almost as overwhelmed by the noise, the press of the crowds, and the smells as she was beginning to feel. The four of them formed a visible knot of silent (and tall; even Tuuri was as tall as or taller than most of the local men) Norse-ness around which the more normal airport traffic, mostly Arabic, flowed.

The very first thing Sigrun did when she reached her comrades-in-arms surprised even her, however. As soon as she was in range, her arms seemed to reach out of their own accord to pull the other three into a relieved group hug, an embrace the others all fell into with the same mix of emotions as were running through her. They stayed that way for a blissful moment, but then broke apart.

“We have a ground car and a map of sorts,” Tuuri said. “The way it’s marked is kinda confusing, though, but Reynir said Lalli says not to show it to you until we’re in the car.”

“That is most wise,” Mikkel rumbled contemplatively. “In fact, we shouldn’t say anything more at all until then.” Sigrun flicked him a surprised glance and almost spoke, but for once thought better of it.

Reynir whistled tunelessly as he waited for the call. His great-great-grandparents were turning out to be really nice people, who seemed to totally buy his story about being from this place called “Canada” and “trying to find his Icelandic roots”. The calls he’d passed off as to and from various sources: work, family, friends. Of course, the fact that Reynir was willing to help out in exchange for his room and board, as well as the “probable family connection”, probably eased his path with them.

Finally, the phone rang.

“OK, um, it says here that you’re each supposed to have a... ‘cover story’? Weird. Anyway, Tuuri, you’re supposed to be a lawyer, Emil’s a corporate negotiator, Mikkel’s a doctor, and Sigrun is... it says here ‘muscle-slash-heavy’, which I don’t get either. Um. You’re meeting with this guy ‘Achhhhhhhhhmed’--” Reynir briefly broke into a coughing fit “--Sorry, something in my throat. Anyway, you meet with this ‘Achmed’ guy, he takes you to this place where they have a sample of the Rash--no, Tuuri, there’s nothing in here about how they got it in the first place. No, Lalli didn’t mention anything about that, but when--When I call them back, I’ll ask, but I don’t think they know either. Anyway, once you know it’s the Rash sample, you smile politely, fob ‘Achmed’ off, and blow the whole place to Jotunheim as soon as possible. Emil’s boom-boom kit got there OK, right? Oh, good. OK. Yes. Yes. Fine. Right, I’ll just call now and let you know once I know. Of course. ‘Bye.”

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #541 on: June 17, 2015, 06:10:10 AM »
Neat! I can totally see Y90 people having a bit of a 'thing' about the crowds and stench of a modern city - don't care for them myself! Are they going to have to blow themselves up to kill the Rash sample? I look forward with interest to your next chapter.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Ren

• Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them
« Reply #542 on: June 17, 2015, 03:29:54 PM »
*Maniacal laughter intensifies*

So, here's the next part.

Let the epicness begin.

Run Fast, Run Far
Part III
 He Who Remains

Lalli Hotakainen stood still and stayed silent as he leaned over the Well of Watching, well, watching. This, of course, was simply his way, as it had been since he was a child. The dim spectral image of his cousin Onni Hotakainen stood equally sphinx-like beside Lalli to his left; a confused but equally spectral Reynir to his right; and across from the three of them, propped on the edge of the Well by his forepaws... Puppy-Fox. Somehow, Lalli knew that they would all understand anything that was spoken while in this room, as far as languages went.

“I keep telling you that I’m not the villain here!” Puppy-Fox, that infamous trickster, exclaimed. “Come on! Who do you think placed the Aarnivalkea here for you to find, and who gave you the means to find it? I practically led you here by the hand! You make one stupid mistake when you’re younger and it brands you for life...”

“Be still, O Messenger,” a deep and resonant voice boomed from behind Puppy-Fox, who immediately looked abashed. A very, very, very old man slowly hobbled out of the swirling mists up to the Well. Oh, my. This was the Old Man Himself! “Be still. You have done your part, and done it well. Now, depart.”

“Without seeing the rest of the story?” Puppy-Fox whined. His ears had perked at the Old Man’s praise, but now his crest was well and truly fallen.

“I shall show it to you later,” the Old Man promised. As Puppy-Fox reluctantly slinked off, his departure unmourned by any of the mortals present, the Old Man looked at the boy and the two spirits flanking him. “So, Kin of Hotakainen from the Lake of Many Islands and Man of the Land of Burning Glaciers, you have finally come. The Bear was certain you would, but the Swan had his doubts. Now, it is time for you, and your distant friends, to take up the challenge We have set before you, for your own sake, and for the sake of two worlds: this one, and the one into which your friends have been dispatched. Fail, and this world will fall, and you shall never see your friends again. Succeed, and the Cleansing of the Silent Lands can begin in earnest.”

Lalli and Onni continued to regard the Old Man impassively, while Reynir gaped soundlessly. The Old Man gestured, and the Bear, the Great Spirit to whom this place had been dedicated and with whose motifs both room and Well were bedecked, stepped forward from the mists to continue the geas-giving. All the manifold carvings and images seemed to shimmer at the Bear’s approach, reflecting the presence of that of which they were mere shadows.

Power gathered round and thickened the air as the Bear spoke, his voice solemn as the grave, and with every word he spoke, the three could feel the binding grow upon them, for the Bear spoke thus:

“Hotakainen Mage called Lalli
Unto you I make this promise

“Conquer now this Godly Challenge
Save your sister world from grosslings
And your own world will start healing
Sloughing off the plague of Rash-kind

“Failure though must bring disaster
Rash will spread through ev’ry plenum
Darken all the worlds forever
Bringing all to final ruin

“So I charge and I command thee
Seven sent to slay the Silence.”

The Bear stepped back into the shadows, vanishing into the mists that had borne him there, but his runo-geas hovered in the silence of the room, lingering like the echoes of a deep and sonorous bell tolling out doom.

Finally, Lalli spoke. “What must we do, and how are we to do it?”

The Old Man replied, “How is up to you. I shall only tell the what, and that will take long enough. Your cohorts have been sent to another world, a close sister to this one, but a bit younger, and without the taint of Rash. They must stop the Rash from claiming that world as it has this one, and you must guide them as they do, Lalli. All else that you must know can be seen in the Well. Reynir, Walker through Dreams, your steps span two worlds now: it is you who must bring Lalli’s instructions to the others through the talk-box your body holds in the other world. Onni, strong and stalwart Defender of Keuruu, your charge is now to defend this place, for the Rash will soon know that your allies are working to its destruction, and its counter-stroke will fall like a great avalanche upon this place. Watch and ward, that your cousin may succeed.”

With that, the Old Man stepped back, slowly vanishing, and the three mortals knew there would be no more such speech until their victory or their failure. It seemed their talk had lasted ages; but then it seemed that they had not heard nearly enough. Lalli swallowed hard and looked deep into the Well, which obligingly cleared to show him...

This story is sooooo amazing so far!! I can't wait to see where you take it!!
Learning Spanish and Norwegian

Chapter Break Survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19:

RandomTexanReader

• Ranger
  • Forum Prophet (avatar by the incredible mad robin)
« Reply #543 on: June 17, 2015, 09:43:38 PM »
I'd put it in the "Scenes we'd like to see" thread, but I don't want to see this scene.
Emil tripped and fell flat on his face. Twisting around, he saw the rash-beast--retreating? It fell over, spasming, writhing, its bony legs thrashings like a spider's, then shuddered and lay still.
"Emil?"
"Sigrun!" Emil sat up. "The- the beast, it's-"
Sigrun looked down at the monstrosity by her feet. "Yeah, I see it." She knelt down carefully. The beast whined piteously and tried to lick her hand. "There, there, boy," Sigrun murmured soothingly, stroking the little bit of matted fur that still remained, "it's going to be okay. It's going to be just fine." The beast whined again and lay back, its exposed flesh quivering. "You're a good boy," continued Sigrun, aiming her gun, "a good boy."
Emil flinched at the sound of the shot.
"You okay?" Sigrun asked, standing and wiping the blood splatter off of her face.
"Yeah," Emil said shakily, getting to his feet. "It... it didn't attack me..."
"Probably used to be a pet. Maybe you reminded it of its owner."
Emil looked up at the captain in horror. "It remembered?"
Sigrun raised her eyebrows in surprise. "You didn't know that?" When Emil shook his head she told him, "the rash doesn't make its own life, you know, it just takes over other's. The victim's still in there."
"That's horrible!" Emil burst out.
"That's life," Sigrun shrugged. "Have you ever heard a troll talk?"
"T-talk?" Emil's mind shot back to the train, the clawing hands and a decaying face, and the rusty sound---
"They're begging." Sigrun slung her gun back over her shoulder. "There are some things worse than death."
... Texas ... is a mystique closely approximating a religion. And this is true to the extent that people either passionately love Texas or passionately hate it....
John Steinbeck
:usa:
:vaticancity: Domine, non sum dignus....
:mexico: No habla Espanol
:croatia: Hvala za nishto, dobro za nishto, mali vrag.

KicknRun

• Ranger
  • excitable hatred
  • Preferred pronouns: he/her
« Reply #544 on: June 17, 2015, 09:47:44 PM »
I'd put it in the "Scenes we'd like to see" thread, but I don't want to see this scene.
Emil tripped and fell flat on his face. Twisting around, he saw the rash-beast--retreating? It fell over, spasming, writhing, its bony legs thrashings like a spider's, then shuddered and lay still.
"Emil?"
Sigrun looked down at the monstrosity by her feet. "Yeah, I see it." She knelt down carefully. The beast whined piteously and tried to lick her hand. "There, there, boy," Sigrun murmured soothingly, stroking the little bit of matted fur that still remained, "it's going to be okay. It's going to be just fine." The beast whined again and lay back, its exposed flesh quivering. "You're a good boy," continued Sigrun, aiming her gun, "a good boy."
"You okay?" Sigrun asked, standing and wiping the blood splatter off of her face.
Sigrun raised her eyebrows in surprise. "You didn't know that?" When Emil shook his head she told him, "the rash doesn't make its own life, you know, it just takes over other's. The victim's still in there."
"T-talk?" Emil's mind shot back to the train, the clawing hands and a decaying face, and the rusty sound---
"They're begging." Sigrun slung her gun back over her shoulder. "There are some things worse than death."

this is awful
I NEED SOME MORE YESTERDAY

:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
SSSSoulcount:0

Icon drawn by Piney

Silent Fox

• Scout
  • Speaks little, writes a lot
« Reply #545 on: June 17, 2015, 09:53:52 PM »
"Emil?"

Very well written, and absolutely soul-shredding. We need moar (tissues)!
Native: :germany:
Getting fluent after 10 years: :usa:

:chap7: :chap8:

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #546 on: June 17, 2015, 10:02:38 PM »
Owww! Dark, but all too probable.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #547 on: June 18, 2015, 12:14:04 AM »
"Emil?"

O_O
RTR, did you hack into/share my thoughts last night?? Because I was thinking about this exact scenario and now I'm really weirded out o___________o
The only difference would be that I thought about the dog's tail wagging little bit before Sigrun put it down. But other than that. EXacTly THE SAme.
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #548 on: June 18, 2015, 04:18:28 AM »
"Emil?"

Yeah I'd say this ranks high on the list of "scenes we're really afraid we'll see" -list instead. That was just... so sad. Poor doggie. ;^; *joins the "MORE" chorus*
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #549 on: June 18, 2015, 05:30:47 AM »
"Emil?"
I had a similar conclusion with a friend yesterday evening. I admire how Minna is building her universe, it's dark but beautiful but dark, and this is both a sad and very good idea.
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

ButterflyWings

• Retired Moderator
  • Scout
« Reply #550 on: June 18, 2015, 05:34:57 AM »
This is eerily similar to my story, of how there are these two sides. I called it the madness.

Speaks some: Finnish, English, Old English, Russian, Dutch, Ancient Greek, Latin, Arabic, German, French, Spanish

W̕e ̀l̵i͠e o̡n bu͏t̡te͘r͞f͟ly҉ ͞win͏gs̸ ìn͝ ̶th́is g͟oss̸ame̵re͡d d̀ecay,͞ ͢st҉ŗi̵n̶g͝s͘ ͝t҉o ͜needles ͠pi͏ęr̨ci̡ng̨ th̀e fles͝h́
Yo̷ù ̨make͘ m͘e ͢st͞r҉i̸p ̨dowń t̷o͘ t͡h̛e͢ bone,͘ t̴h̴en s͟t̕ùm͠ble͘ i̧n my͢ ̕foot́s̡tep̷s ̸seek̨ing ́a̡bs͏o͞lut̛i͠on

Guardian G.I.

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • and normal people close
« Reply #551 on: June 18, 2015, 02:12:39 PM »
Danish National Archives: File ARC-F32 "Excerpts of pre-Rash news articles, found near Hägnars, Åland Islands, former Finland (Y40)"

The following file is a compilation of data extracted from a HDD drive found during the Y40 Swedish scouting expedition to the Åland Islands. Although the primary goal of the expedition - the Finnish Defence Force's supply depots near Önningby were found to be overrun by the infected, several pieces of salvage were recovered by the scouts at the nearby military compound to the east of Mariehamn, including 2 relatively undamaged military computers. The Swedish couldn't get them running and disassembled them for spare parts - one HDD drive was purchased by representatives of the Danish Historical Preservation Institute at a scrapyard in Mora. The contents of the HDD drive were mostly corrupted. Luckily, our technicians managed to recover several valuable bits and pieces of information - excerpts of pre-Rash news from the cache files of the so-called "Firefox" program, which was reportedly used to access international information networks before the outbreak of the Rash.

All data was originally in English. It is believed to be originally written by journalists of YLE's English news service.

No.1

"...[inv]estigation into the activities of the so-called Finnish peace movement by the SuPo have confirmed its connections with Russia. Several prominent agents, including... *corrupted*...en will be charged w...*corrupted* …[incl]uding members of the banned totalitarian political party SKP have attempted to block the movements of a NATO convoy in Knutsboda last year, allegedly in protest of the “illegal” re-militarization of Åland in face of the ever-growing Russian threat to the Finnish democracy. The minist[ry] *corrupted* …ly endangering the national security and independence of Fin[land]… *corrupted* …then start sending our children into Gulags, what else are we going to do? These people are clearly traitors” – a concerned citizen told our journalists in Mariehamn... *corrupted* …are set to be… *corrupted*”

No.2

“…[acco]rding to NATO’s spokep[ers]on, Jeffrey McIntire. Several mem… *corrupted* …[Fi]nnish soldiers are r[epo]rted to be alive and well. This is the eighth attack of Kim Jong-un’s loyalists at NATO pe[aceke]epers since May 201… *corrupted* …[we] cl[ea]rly have a case of irrati[ona]l aggression – even now many North Ko[rean]s conti[nue]… *corrupted* …and even calling us murderers and occupiers, even though our presence is nothing but ben[eficial] *corrupted* gangs[ters] [ca]lling the[mse]lves the ‘Korean Resistance’ fighting North Korea’s libera[tors] *corrupted*”

No.3

“…the new adv[anc]ements in biotec[hnolo]gy promise to revolut[ionize]… *corrupted* [e]ven the m[embe]rs of the sex industry, which claim the genetic mo[dific]ation technology would b[oo]st their prof[its] to new… *corrupted* …all this and m[uc]h more will be available in no furt[her] than 10 years, according to scie[ntists] *corrupted*”

No.4

“…[h]ave come to g[re]et them, lining up in the str[eet]s of Ta[ll]inn to wave at Am[eri]can tanks. These 5000 t[roo]ps and 40 M1A2 Abrams t[an]ks will join the 90000-strong NATO rea[ct]ion force def[ending] *corrupted* Russia’s well kno[wn] plan to ex[termi]nate the free p[eop]le of the Balt[ics] *corrupted*”

No.5

“…satellite foot[age] recording ren[ewe]d activ[ity] at the Biopreparat f[acili]ty *corrupted* …we’re not r[ea]dy to coun[te]r the Ru[ssia]n biolo[gi]cal threat with… *corrupted* the co[lla]pse of the talks in Brussels over the c[rea]tion of the unified Eu[rope]an army… *corrupted*”

No.6

(some skalds assume this lines date to the early days of the outbreak)
“…not[hi]ng but pa[ran]oia of the ty[ran]nical Belarusian reg[ime] *corrupted* …in[cl]uding… *corrupted* …c[losi]ng all bor[ders] *corrupted* …more b[ase]less acc[us]ations… *corrupted*”

« Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 03:33:29 PM by Guardian G.I. »
Fluent: :russia:
Very rusty:
Can understand, but not speak: :ukraine:
Learning: :uk: :germany:

Solovei

• Tumblr
  • You name it, Captain Solo will ship it.
« Reply #552 on: June 18, 2015, 03:45:44 PM »
Danish National Archives: File ARC-F32 "Excerpts of pre-Rash news articles, found near Hägnars, Åland Islands, former Finland (Y40)"

The following file is a compilation of data extracted from a HDD drive found during the Y40 Swedish scouting expedition to the Åland Islands. Although the primary goal of the expedition - the Finnish Defence Force's supply depots near Önningby were found to be overrun by the infected, several pieces of salvage were recovered by the scouts at the nearby military compound to the east of Mariehamn, including 2 relatively undamaged military computers. The Swedish couldn't get them running and disassembled them for spare parts - one HDD drive was purchased by representatives of the Danish Historical Preservation Institute at a scrapyard in Mora. The contents of the HDD drive were mostly corrupted. Luckily, our technicians managed to recover several valuable bits and pieces of information - excerpts of pre-Rash news from the cache files of the so-called "Firefox" program, which was reportedly used to access international information networks before the outbreak of the Rash.

All data was originally in English. It is believed to be originally written by journalists of YLE's English news service.

No.1

"...[inv]estigation into the activities of the so-called Finnish peace movement by the SuPo have confirmed its connections with Russia. Several prominent agents, including... *corrupted*...en will be charged w...*corrupted* …[incl]uding members of the banned totalitarian political party SKP have attempted to block the movements of a NATO convoy in Knutsboda last year, allegedly in protest of the “illegal” re-militarization of Åland in face of the ever-growing Russian threat to the Finnish democracy. The minist[ry] *corrupted* …ly endangering the national security and independence of Fin[land]… *corrupted* …then start sending our children into Gulags, what else are we going to do? These people are clearly traitors” – a concerned citizen told our journalists in Mariehamn... *corrupted* …are set to be… *corrupted*”

No.2

“…[acco]rding to NATO’s spokep[ers]on, Jeffrey McIntire. Several mem… *corrupted* …[Fi]nnish soldiers are r[epo]rted to be alive and well. This is the eighth attack of Kim Jong-un’s loyalists at NATO pe[aceke]epers since May 201… *corrupted* …[we] cl[ea]rly have a case of irrati[ona]l aggression – even now many North Ko[rean]s conti[nue]… *corrupted* …and even calling us murderers and occupiers, even though our presence is nothing but ben[eficial] *corrupted* gangs[ters] [ca]lling the[mse]lves the ‘Korean Resistance’ fighting North Korea’s libera[tors] *corrupted*”

No.3

“…the new adv[anc]ements in biotec[hnolo]gy promise to revolut[ionize]… *corrupted* [e]ven the m[embe]rs of the sex industry, which claim the genetic mo[dific]ation technology would b[oo]st their prof[its] to new… *corrupted* …all this and m[uc]h more will be available in no furt[her] than 10 years, according to scie[ntists] *corrupted*”

No.4

“…[h]ave come to g[re]et them, lining up in the str[eet]s of Ta[ll]inn to wave at Am[eri]can tanks. These 5000 t[roo]ps and 40 M1A2 Abrams t[an]ks will join the 90000-strong NATO rea[ct]ion force def[ending] *corrupted* Russia’s well kno[wn] plan to ex[termi]nate the free p[eop]le of the Balt[ics] *corrupted*”

No.5

“…satellite foot[age] recording ren[ewe]d activ[ity] at the Biopreparat f[acili]ty *corrupted* …we’re not r[ea]dy to coun[te]r the Ru[ssia]n biolo[gi]cal threat with… *corrupted* the co[lla]pse of the talks in Brussels over the c[rea]tion of the unified Eu[rope]an army… *corrupted*”

No.6

(some skalds assume this lines date to the early days of the outbreak)
“…not[hi]ng but pa[ran]oia of the ty[ran]nical Belarusian reg[ime] *corrupted* …in[cl]uding… *corrupted* …c[losi]ng all bor[ders] *corrupted* …more b[ase]less acc[us]ations… *corrupted*”

Oooh, this is neat :D
:hat:Support your fanfic authors!:betterhat:
Co-admin of the SSSS Wiki | AO3 |
:chap2:
:chap3:
:chap4:
:chap5:
:chap6:
:chap7:
:chap8:

Fluent: :canada: :russia:
Managing to stumble through: :sweden:

LooNEY_DAC

• DeviantArt
« Reply #553 on: June 18, 2015, 08:48:07 PM »
Ready or not, here it comes!

Run Fast, Run Far
Part V
Dis-covered, Dat-covered, All de Odder Covered

Out in the very middle of nowhere, a small guard shack stood, looking for all the world like some abandoned WWII or colonial relic, gatehouse to an otherwise vanished military base, dismantled and long since forgotten. Yet, if you tried to approach it from any direction other than the shabby track the locals called a highway, you’d soon find your way blocked by a rusty tangle of barbed wire, if you didn’t accidentally blow yourself up from a land mine. If you approached along the road, you’d be blissfully unaware of the muzzles tracking you unless they decided to open fire. This was the Installation, a place where Death in its various illicit forms was bought and sold by various illicit parties.

Leaning heavily against the blast door that blocked their way down into the Installation, Emil trembled, as well he might. He’d just made the horrible but inevitable discovery that normal humans were both much easier and yet infinitely more difficult to kill than any troll they’d yet faced.

“Emil!” Sigrun’s snap of command above the clanging alarms brought Emil back to the present. “Help me with Mikkel.” Obediently, Emil went over to where Mikkel lay by the outer door, an ugly-looking dart sticking out of the big man’s shoulder.

Meanwhile, Tuuri had seated herself at the control station of the guardroom and was pecking at the various controls.
The alarms fell silent, and she muttered, “Huh. That’s odd.”

“At least whoever-he-was didn’t take the car,” Emil huffed as he and Sigrun slowly and painfully manhandled their incapacitated comrade into the vehicle.

“Guys? Guys!” Tuuri called. “I think you should see this!”

The other two crowded around the banks of monitors and controls, their eyes wide with amazement at this display of Old Time technology. “I think this board controls the whole security system,” Tuuri said in a hushed voice. “But why would they put it up here, instead of lower down?”

“So they could bring down the whole place if disaster struck.” Surprisingly, Emil was the one who made this observation, instead of Sigrun, who glanced at him in silent approval. “The Rash may be the worst horror here, but it’ll be far from the only one, unless I miss my guess--Oh, no. Get to the car.”

The girls looked at Emil blankly for a moment. When he shouted, “GET TO THE CAR!”, though, they both moved.

“How much time?” Sigrun grunted as they hurled themselves into the small sedan.

“Probably not enough--One, maybe two minutes at most.”

Sigrun smiled a smile utterly lacking in mirth. “So, our covers weren’t really blown, then. We just got here right when some flunky unleashed his Big Plan to steal the Rash and blow the Installation to cover his tracks, and he used our arrival to get by the topside guards.”

Mikkel murmured in assent, his eyes fluctuating between wide open and totally shut.

“Don’t worry,” Tuuri said confidently. “Reynir says Lalli’s tracking our target, so we’ll find him, no matter where he goes.”

As they drove off after their prey, the desert behind them lit brighter than the sun overhead for a few terrible seconds, and then the blast wave hit the little car with a sound none of them could ever describe after. Since they were rear-on to the blast, though, the car managed to stay on course and in one piece (as such), so when the tremors finally died, they were still steadily rolling down the road, driving into the next stage of their fate...

SectoBoss

• Ranger
« Reply #554 on: June 19, 2015, 08:31:02 PM »
Fanfiction 15. Someone stop this madness...

I wrote a cheerful little story about Emil and Lalli getting their hands on a frisbee!
Nothing bad happens. Promise.
Would I lie to you?

http://archiveofourown.org/works/4167570

Hope you like it!
I’m so sorry I lied.
Native: :uk:  Remembers dregs: :france: :vaticancity:  Learning (slowly): :sweden:
Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
Proud owner of a Haizvatar
I write a bit on AO3