Author Topic: The SSSS Scriptorium  (Read 776990 times)

Róisín

• Elder of the Ruined Realm
Re: The SSSS Scriptorium
« Reply #480 on: June 08, 2015, 02:25:12 AM »
Solovei: yes, that's a great how-not-to book.

Sunflower: I got my pamphlet-sized paperback edition of 'From Elfland To Poughkeepsie' back in the early 1970s from Space Age Books in Melbourne, Victoria. They had an amazing list of imported books of SF and fantasy, as well as obscure things like the poetry of Roger Zelazny, Robert E. Howard and H.P. Lovecraft. I actually put music to some of Lovecraft's poems, and still sing them.

Le Guin gives really good writing advice. I went to a writers workshop she ran at a science-fiction convention in Melbourne, decades ago, and have never forgotten it.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

AquaAurion

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #481 on: June 08, 2015, 04:27:42 AM »
I have been neglecting this thread lately ;n;
I just came to say: Haiz, that was WONDERFUL. I love your AU so much x3

Eagerly waiting since November 2014:  :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02:
(✿σ‿σ) ~<3

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
« Reply #482 on: June 08, 2015, 03:05:37 PM »
Sigrun is likely annoyed enough to haunt Emil for the rest of his probably brief days!
Sigrun: "Hey, this is great! I was afraid I'ld have to work around the language barrier with interpretative dance or something to tell you about your part in my revenge plan, my little Finnish mage."
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

KicknRun

• Ranger
  • excitable hatred
  • Preferred pronouns: he/her
« Reply #483 on: June 08, 2015, 03:11:20 PM »
Sigrun: "Hey, this is great! I was afraid I'ld have to work around the language barrier with interpretative dance or something to tell you about your part in my revenge plan, my little Finnish mage."

That's actually exactly what I have planned.

:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
SSSSoulcount:0

Icon drawn by Piney

RandomTexanReader

• Ranger
  • Forum Prophet (avatar by the incredible mad robin)
« Reply #484 on: June 08, 2015, 04:59:02 PM »

Somehow, Emil gets back, away from the school (the place where her body lies, probably with some troll or beast is already consuming it. emil knows he’d consider it a fate worse than death) and over the truck (didn’t she help you up that?), and to the tank, where he almost but doesn’t quite crash into the door. He slides down it instead, crumpling.The door opens. Mikkel comes out. “Where is Sigrun?, he asks.

Emil doesn’t honestly know the answer.

(Emil does not cry himself to sleep. He simply cries.)

THIS IS TERRIBLE AND HORRIBLE AND HEARTBREAKING AND IN NO WAY OKAY AND I HAD TO ADD TO IT.

Spoiler: show

Mikkel pushed Emil's head down between his knees. "Deep breaths, kid. Deep breaths."
Emil's sobs were frantic, and his breathing fast and shallow. Mikkel pressed a big hand over Emil's mouth. "Breathe slower. Slow, Emil. Slow. Breathe slow and deep." Emil struggled to obey, tears still running down his face. He was shaking all over. Mikkel kept on talking to him. "I'm going to get you a blanket now, okay? I need you to keep your head between your knees and keep breathing slow and deep. I'll be right back."
Tuuri looked up from the book she was studying, her voice slightly muffled by the mask. "Are Emil and Sigrun okay?"
Mikkel shook his head. "Something happened." He took the blanket from the bed and headed back towards Emil, adding over his shoulder, "Keep your mask on."
"Wha-" Reynir began,
"Keep your mask on," Mikkel told him in Icelandic, "Something happened."

It was a while before Mikkel felt Emil was stable enough that he could be left on his own. He was washed, warm, and breathing easily now, asleep on the bottom bunk, near the heater. Lalli was perched in the corner, watching Emil with wide eyes.

Tuuri was trying to hold back her tears. "What happened?" she asked, "Is Sigrun-"
"She might not be," Mikkel said, strapping his medical supply belt on, "I'm going to go and see. Don't open the door until you see it's me, and keep your mask on." He paused, then said slowly, "If I'm not back by noon tomorrow, take the tank back to the tunnel. Leave the camp here."
"But-"
"That was an order." Mikkel took a deep breath. "Don't ask Emil any questions. Don't let Reynir go outside, and you don't either. Listen to your cousin, and if he says you need to leave, you leave. Do you understand?" Tuuri nodded. "Good." Mikkel checked that he had everything, then picked up his gun. "I'll try to get back before sundown."

The rain had stopped. Mikkel moved as quickly and as silently as he could, on the alert for trolls or beasts. Before long he was at the building and went in carefully, looking for Sigrun. Maybe she was okay. Maybe she had just been cornered somewhere and needed someone to get her out. Maybe she was unconscious, but not hurt too badly. Maybe he could still save her. Maybe---he saw her then.

Mikkel knelt down next to the body. Sigrun's eyes were still open, her features frozen in a relieved smile. The bleeding was minimal---the shot must have gone straight through her heart. At least it had been an instantaneous death.
Mikkel covered his mouth. It was sixteen years since he had seen his first casualty, and it never got any better. Just easier to forget.
Taking a deep breath, he carefully closed the sightless eyes, then began removing the items from the corpse, unbuckling the belts and going through the pockets. Finding a folded pohtograph he carefully smoothed it out and looked at it: it was a bearded man and a lady with braids, holding a small girl between them. A family portrait. Mikkel swore softly, refolding the picture and tucked it safely away in an inside pocket.
When he had removed everything of value, he stood up and looked around. Emil's gun was lying nearby, and he gathered that up as well, clicking the safety on and slinging it over his shoulder. Then pulling out a canister of lighter fluid, he poured it over Sigrun---Sigrun's body---and lit a match.
It was protocol to stay in order to insure that the body finished burning completely, but Mikkel didn't give a blank about protocol right now.
As he started to head out of the building, Mikkel saw the bags. They were full and strapped up, ready to go.
Mikkel stared at them, then slowly, deliberately, began to swear. He swore for a long time then stopped, took a deep, shuddering breath, and gathered up the bags as well.
He estimated they weighed about 20 kg, combined.
20 kg of books for one Norwegian captain.

"Tuuri, it's Mikkel. Let me in." The door slid open and Mikkel got in, dumping everything in an untidy heap on the ground. "Don't touch anything. Get back into the sleeping area while I decontaminate." Tuuri obeyed silently as Mikkel began peeling off his gloves and boots and bundling the things he had brought into the decontamination unit.

Tuuri looked up as Mikkel came in, looking twenty years older. She had been crying. Lalli was sitting next to her, his hand comfortingly on her back. Reynir was cross-legged on the cot, watching with wide frightened eyes.
 "What-what happened?" Tuuri asked.
Mikkel checked on Emil. The boy was still asleep. Then he shook his head.
"Accident," was all he said. "She was dead when I got there."
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 05:01:52 PM by RandomTexanReader »
... Texas ... is a mystique closely approximating a religion. And this is true to the extent that people either passionately love Texas or passionately hate it....
John Steinbeck
:usa:
:vaticancity: Domine, non sum dignus....
:mexico: No habla Espanol
:croatia: Hvala za nishto, dobro za nishto, mali vrag.

KicknRun

• Ranger
  • excitable hatred
« Reply #485 on: June 08, 2015, 05:07:55 PM »

THIS IS TERRIBLE AND HORRIBLE AND HEARTBREAKING AND IN NO WAY OKAY AND I HAD TO ADD TO IT.

Mikkel pushed Emil's head down between his knees. "Deep breaths, kid. Deep breaths."
Emil's sobs were frantic, and his breathing fast and shallow. Mikkel pressed a big hand over Emil's mouth. "Breathe slower. Slow, Emil. Slow. Breathe slow and deep." Emil struggled to obey, tears still running down his face. He was shaking all over. Mikkel kept on talking to him. "I'm going to get you a blanket now, okay? I need you to keep your head between your knees and keep breathing slow and deep. I'll be right back."
Tuuri looked up from the book she was studying, her voice slightly muffled by the mask. "Are Emil and Sigrun okay?"
Mikkel shook his head. "Something happened." He took the blanket from the bed and headed back towards Emil, adding over his shoulder, "Keep your mask on."
"Wha-" Reynir began,

It was a while before Mikkel felt Emil was stable enough that he could be left on his own. He was washed, warm, and breathing easily now, asleep on the bottom bunk, near the heater. Lalli was perched in the corner, watching Emil with wide eyes.

Tuuri was trying to hold back her tears. "What happened?" she asked, "Is Sigrun-"
"She might not be," Mikkel said, strapping his medical supply belt on, "I'm going to go and see. Don't open the door until you see it's me, and keep your mask on." He paused, then said slowly, "If I'm not back by noon tomorrow, take the tank back to the tunnel. Leave the camp here."
"But-"
"That was an order." Mikkel took a deep breath. "Don't ask Emil any questions. Don't let Reynir go outside, and you don't either. Listen to your cousin, and if he says you need to leave, you leave. Do you understand?" Tuuri nodded. "Good." Mikkel checked that he had everything, then picked up his gun. "I'll try to get back before sundown."

The rain had stopped. Mikkel moved as quickly and as silently as he could, on the alert for trolls or beasts. Before long he was at the building and went in carefully, looking for Sigrun. Maybe she was okay. Maybe she had just been cornered somewhere and needed someone to get her out. Maybe she was unconscious, but not hurt too badly. Maybe he could still save her. Maybe---he saw her then.

Mikkel knelt down next to the body. Sigrun's eyes were still open, her features frozen in a relieved smile. The bleeding was minimal---the shot must have gone straight through her heart. At least it had been an instantaneous death.
Mikkel covered his mouth. It was sixteen years since he had seen his first casualty, and it never got any better. Just easier to forget.
Taking a deep breath, he carefully closed the sightless eyes, then began removing the items from the corpse, unbuckling the belts and going through the pockets. Finding a folded pohtograph he carefully smoothed it out and looked at it: it was a bearded man and a lady with braids, holding a small girl between them. A family portrait. Mikkel swore softly, refolding the picture and tucked it safely away in an inside pocket.
When he had removed everything of value, he stood up and looked around. Emil's gun was lying nearby, and he gathered that up as well, clicking the safety on and slinging it over his shoulder. Then pulling out a canister of lighter fluid, he poured it over Sigrun---Sigrun's body---and lit a match.
It was protocol to stay in order to insure that the body finished burning completely, but Mikkel didn't give a blank about protocol right now.
As he started to head out of the building, Mikkel saw the bags. They were full and strapped up, ready to go.
Mikkel stared at them, then slowly, deliberately, began to swear. He swore for a long time then stopped, took a deep, shuddering breath, and gathered up the bags as well.

"Tuuri, it's Mikkel. Let me in." The door slid open and Mikkel got in, dumping everything in an untidy heap on the ground. "Don't touch anything. Get back into the sleeping area while I decontaminate." Tuuri obeyed silently as Mikkel began peeling off his gloves and boots and bundling the things he had brought into the decontamination unit.

Tuuri looked up as Mikkel came in, looking twenty years older. She had been crying. Lalli was sitting next to her, his hand comfortingly on her back. Reynir was cross-legged on the cot, watching with wide frightened eyes.

YOU TOOK MY SAD THING AND YOU MADE IT
SADDER
OH MY GOD
(i was smiling the entire way through, though, b/c i was so happy that somebody wrote for me a thing )

And yeah! I didn't say it in the story, but emil didn't murder sigrun, he was startled, in case anyone misinterpreted it.

Icon drawn by Piney

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #486 on: June 08, 2015, 05:33:19 PM »
Wha... what's happening here ? O_o T_T
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

KicknRun

• Ranger
  • excitable hatred
« Reply #487 on: June 08, 2015, 05:51:27 PM »
Wha... what's happening here ? O_o T_T

Uhh, nobody's really written anything sad for this fandom yet, but i just did?

Icon drawn by Piney

Mélusine

« Reply #488 on: June 08, 2015, 06:16:50 PM »
We're reaching my own limits in fanfiction. I'll just pretend I have not read that.
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Solovei

• Tumblr
  • You name it, Captain Solo will ship it.
« Reply #489 on: June 08, 2015, 09:06:52 PM »
Oh yes they have. There have been a few (too many, for my liking) fics with character deaths and the like. I'm a little concerned, actually. Do people think there's something wrong with the somewhat lighthearted tone of the comic?

I mean, I'd rather we focus our collective energies on writing more shippy stuff, but I won't say anything XD
:hat:Support your fanfic authors!:betterhat:
Co-admin of the SSSS Wiki | AO3 |
:chap2:
:chap3:
:chap4:
:chap5:
:chap6:
:chap7:
:chap8:

Fluent: :canada: :russia:
Managing to stumble through: :sweden:

Róisín

• Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #490 on: June 08, 2015, 11:49:55 PM »
Some of the fan-fic does seem a bit gloomy. Mine included, I guess, though I didn't actually kill anybody from the main cast. I like the lighter intervals Minna puts into the comic, because it gives a real-life feel to the story. People in real life-or-death situations, in my experience, are not unrelievedly solemn, boding or gloomy, but tend to find what humour they can in the situation, even if their humour may be a little dark.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 05:46:08 AM by Róisín »
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Mélusine

« Reply #491 on: June 09, 2015, 04:44:44 AM »
I don't want misunderstanding : writing fan-fiction is taking over both universe and characters for writing what you want. But this example had made me remember why I'm not able/I don't want to use a story's main characters. It was well written, it's not the question, and I'm not the last to see how dark this universe can or could be :) Keep writing ! I'm just too... too... well, it doesn't matter.

AquaAurion

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #492 on: June 09, 2015, 06:26:45 AM »
I wrote a 1000+ words today! Crap.

Spoiler: WARNINGS FOR THE STORY • show

death

SPOILER TAGS ARE NOT WORKING-WILL TRY AGAIN LATER-TOO LATE AT NIGHT FOR ME TO DO ANYTHING

Something That Will Follow Us

Sigrun checked her watch. It had been about fifteen minutes since Emil had gone off to check for danger. He was either killing something idiotically, lost, or idiotically dead. Hopefully, Emil was lost.  If he had spectacularly bad luck, he was dead. Sigrun put the watch back, and set out for Emil.(or his body)

¤

Emil’s hand is on the trigger of his gun. Beginner's mistake.

¤

Emil had pretty good ears, Sigrun considered. He could have made a pretty good Hunter, back in Norway. Too bad he was dripping ‘round the ears and, ya know, not from Norway.

Sigrun’s ears perk up. Pitter pat. Pitter patter. Its not from the rain either-which has stopped-it’s feet. Which is good, because she did not want to deal with a deal body. Sigrun curves around to duck her head into one corridor. The sound is louder here, and now more of a shuffle than a patter. One of the doors are open. All the other doors are closed.

Sigrun goes through the open door. Shuffle. Emil is there, back turned away from her. A smile comes to her face. At least he isn’t dead.

“Gre-”

BANG.

¤

There is a dead body on the floor, and she is smiling. Sigrun is smiling. Sigrun is dead.  Sigrun is smiling and dead. Emil killed Sigrun.

The gun drops. Emil runs. Emil falls, on crazy lady, on the woman who saved his life ,on Sigrun Eide from Dalsnes, with a family that is still alive, skilled enough to survive too many brutal hunting seasons but not one stupid trainee and Emil hears a crack and he isn’t quite sure who it belongs to but he flails around some more and (deadeadMURDERER) and gets up and runs.  Calling it flying would be far too elegant, and calling it fleeing would be far too cruel, but it is accurate. Emil flees.

¤

Somehow, Emil gets back, away from the school (the place where her body lies, probably with some troll or beast is already consuming it. emil knows he’d consider it a fate worse than death) and over the truck (didn’t she help you up that?), and to the tank, where he almost but doesn’t quite crash into the door. He slides down it instead, crumpling.The door opens. Mikkel comes out. “Where is Sigrun?, he asks.

Emil doesn’t honestly know the answer.

(Emil does not cry himself to sleep. He simply cries.)

A/N; huwooo, everything i wrote today was sad. I'm never writing death again by the way. also, to the people who follow me on tumblr, yup, this was the worrying sentence.  EDIT: This was written before the monday page happened, and it was typed afterwards.

BONUS:where is the title from-hint the comic
Oh my god, poor Emil and poor Sigrun T_T

"Wha-" Reynir began,

"But-"

Like my feels weren't broken already ;n;

Eagerly waiting since November 2014:  :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02:
(✿σ‿σ) ~<3

Ren

• Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them
« Reply #493 on: June 10, 2015, 02:25:08 AM »
~*Standstill High part 5: The Cookiepocalypse*~
(only english version for the time being, might translate if I get the opportunity later on)

I know I'm a little late with this but this is an awesome story!! I started laughing around the second paragraph and didn't stop laughing until 5 minutes after finishing. Thanks for continuing the story Haiz.
Learning Spanish and Norwegian

Chapter Break Survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19:

Silent Fox

• Scout
  • Speaks little, writes a lot
« Reply #494 on: June 10, 2015, 06:39:59 AM »
So is this where little vignettes  of our self-inserts with the rest of the comic characters go?
Native: :germany:
Getting fluent after 10 years: :usa:

:chap7: :chap8: