Author Topic: The SSSS Scriptorium  (Read 784395 times)

Sumeri

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Hämäläisjuntti
Re: The SSSS Scriptorium
« Reply #450 on: June 04, 2015, 09:06:55 PM »
Thank god. I was actually going to write it in Kalevala meter, but then I nope'd outta that faster than your average politician, so that didn't happen. I am just so happy that somebody did a thing for my thing oKAy. Thank you a lot!

(also I kinda ended up making my own kinda of meter in the process. kinda)

Ohh yea, I think that attempting Kalevala meter in English would make just about anyone nope the hell out of dodge, so no judging from here :D And WAAAHHH you liked it, yay! And hey, the meter you came up with is plenty beautiful too, just so you know :D
Lankeaa
metsän henget
polvilleen

native: :fi:
fluent: :gb:
somewhat struggling with: :se:
learned but mostly forgotten: :fr:

:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14:

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #451 on: June 04, 2015, 10:03:09 PM »
KicknRun: that is beautiful. And very well conceived. It's true that all Finns have some magic, so I can just see Tuuri doing that, and an appeal to her namesake goddess would have the best chance. Well made!

Sumeri: also great. My Finnish is minimal, but I can follow enough to see that the poem is graceful, and fits well with KicknRun's story.

Well done, both!
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

KMK

• Scout
« Reply #452 on: June 05, 2015, 12:06:15 AM »
Today on: Kick writes wish fulfillment!

They were lucky, the first few raids.The first raid wasn’t too bad, and practice makes perfect, right? The second and third raids went just fine.

This raid was on a crash course to failing spectacularly.

Everything goes wrong, very very loudly. Its in a library, once proud stone now decaying, what is means defiled and gone, ready to be opened like one of the Old World’s innumerable rotten presents.

(Number 42: library, many books above ground, preserved books below ground. high value collection)

There is a loud rumbling sound, and as Tuuri looks out from the window, more of the roof starts to cave in. Mikkel is at the door of the library, and Sigrun, Lalli, and Emil already seem to be getting out of there. Sigrun, of all people, has a gash running down her arm, and favors her arm as she runs. Tuuri starts the engine.

It doesn’t start, and the ground begins to rumble. There is a thudding sound at the cockpit, and Tuuri turns her head to look back at the door, even though she already knows who it  is.

“Is something happening! What’s going on? ”, Reynir yelps in panicked Icelandic, and Tuuri winces, because she needs to think, and having a panicking Icelandic boy at the door is not. Helping.

Tuuri tries to start the engine again, and it fails again.

“I’m starting the engine! We’re leaving, and everything will be fine.”, Tuuri lies. She tries not to think of what ‘everything will be fine’ means, because she isn’t fooling herself, and she doesn’t think she’s fooling Reynir either. Because, if she can’t start this engine, they’ll all be nothing but dead, and she can’t have that.

The ground rumbles again, stronger, and Tuuri feels it though the metal treads of the tank. The old library collapses in on itself,entirely, and something like a displeased rumble sounds.

Its a giant
a giant
giant

The word giant loops itself on an endless circle around her mind, stopping everything else. Then Tuuri forces down her panic like the weak little thing it is, and tries the engine one last time.

And the proximity monitor beeps. They’ve finally reached the tank. Tuuri yanks down the lever that will let them in and leaves them to close the door for themselves.

The engine still hasn’t started. She had a ton of luck right now, a full load but a broken boat.

Something weak and fleshy starts breaking out from the once-library, and a chittering starts, and Tuuri knows she will not die this way. 

Onni had never taught her much about this, but he had taught her a little, and that was hopefully enough. Beside, any Finn worth their salt knew how to compose a runo. What she needed was a goddess, and a goal. She (un)fortunately had both.

They must be getting restless now, but they couldn't leave until they had been decontaminated , so she could do this. Actually, she had to do this.

Tuuri stands up, spreads her arms straight and wide, takes a deep breath, and sings.

I call to Tuuri, my namesake

Listen to my fear
as I call to your grace
From a dark and silent land
Full of danger, this place

Grant of me you grace
I beg
I plea
I beseech

for luck

So we can live,
a goal we hope to reach

For Tuonela is another day
Our lives a keepsake

Her arms drop, and Tuuri takes in a swallow from her throat to her now much dryer mouth. Tuuri counts to ten before trying the engine once again, because the goddess could always choose not to listen, or punish her for her impatience, and they would all die.

The engine starts. 

A/N: ahhh, i really just wanted to see Tuuri do something magic, since Minna said that even people who don't have magical talent can do runos, and I'm pretty proud of this catastrophe. and to anyone who's reading Hop Skip Fall, the next chapter's going smooth! I'm just putting 75% of my creative output into the Tomorrow Villains AU, which is going to be lengthy.
Word count is 624 words. Its like 200 in my notebook.
Love, love, love this!

SectoBoss

• Ranger
« Reply #453 on: June 05, 2015, 04:14:39 PM »
This idea was born out of two separate ones: I wanted to see the crew several years down the line getting put back together, and for some mad reason I wanted to see how Reynir would react to seeing a helicopter. Somewhere along the way, it became the story of the known world coming to an end and Sigrun putting the crew back together for one last desperate mission out into the silent lands to save it. The actual mission itself I have no intention of actually writing – what I’ve got is already probably going to get canoned super hard within a year or two, plus long stories are way too hard for me to write.

Anyway, enough spiel:

http://archiveofourown.org/works/4081177/chapters/9191830

I hope you like it! (And yes, the title is a Pacific Rim reference. You watch that film enough times for a crossover fic and bits start to rub off on you.)

And KicknRun: I love your story! We really need more badass Tuuri around here.
Native: :uk:  Remembers dregs: :france: :vaticancity:  Learning (slowly): :sweden:
Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
Proud owner of a Haizvatar
I write a bit on AO3

KicknRun

• Ranger
  • excitable hatred
  • Preferred pronouns: he/her
« Reply #454 on: June 05, 2015, 04:22:24 PM »

Aw yisssssssssssss. I am so ready. And I like how Sigrun is recognizable after 6 years, and how Renyir still gets his hopes and dreams dashed.

Also, about the badass Tuuri thing I might have just written another story and started revealing depths to her character just maybe oops.

:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
SSSSoulcount:0

Icon drawn by Piney

SectoBoss

• Ranger
« Reply #455 on: June 06, 2015, 06:38:58 AM »
Aw yisssssssssssss. I am so ready. And I like how Sigrun is recognizable after 6 years, and how Renyir still gets his hopes and dreams dashed.

Also, about the badass Tuuri thing I might have just written another story and started revealing depths to her character just maybe oops.

Thank you! And I look forward to reading this new story you're writing :)
Native: :uk:  Remembers dregs: :france: :vaticancity:  Learning (slowly): :sweden:
Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
Proud owner of a Haizvatar
I write a bit on AO3

Haiz

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #456 on: June 07, 2015, 06:01:13 AM »
There seems to be a lot of great things happening in the Scriptorium, and I'm hoping to catch up with all of it at some point! For the time being I've read the first chapter of Solovei's Hotakainen backstory and everything by SectoBoss, and it's all great! I don't think you need to hear any additional squee'ing about the pacific rim au, just know that there is a lot of it.

ANYWAY, I kind of promised in the art thread to write some more of that high school au, involving cookies. So I did. It's short, ridiculous and as OOC as ever, I hope you enjoy it!

~*Standstill High part 5: The Cookiepocalypse*~
(only english version for the time being, might translate if I get the opportunity later on)
you'll know where to find me.

Dane Murgen

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • wannabe polyglot
  • Preferred pronouns: They/Them/Their
« Reply #457 on: June 07, 2015, 06:12:59 AM »
There seems to be a lot of great things happening in the Scriptorium, and I'm hoping to catch up with all of it at some point! For the time being I've read the first chapter of Solovei's Hotakainen backstory and everything by SectoBoss, and it's all great! I don't think you need to hear any additional squee'ing about the pacific rim au, just know that there is a lot of it.

ANYWAY, I kind of promised in the art thread to write some more of that high school au, involving cookies. So I did. It's short, ridiculous and as OOC as ever, I hope you enjoy it!

(only english version for the time being, might translate if I get the opportunity later on)

This is brilliant and perfectly timed, too! I literally just made chocolate chip cookies a few hours ago, so that was hilarious.
A life without death is a life not worth living.

Survived: :artd::book1+::chap6::chap7::chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11:

Speaks+reads: :newzealand:
Speaks: :philippines:
Barely reads: :france:
Can read a few sentences: :china:
Want to learn: twelve other languages, *sigh*

OrigamiOwl

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
« Reply #458 on: June 07, 2015, 06:15:11 AM »

Awwww! There were so many lines that had me crying with stifled laughter, but the last sentence broke me. IT BROKE ME.
Spoiler: show

"Swift as a shadow, Lalli left him and climbed out the kitchen window, away from everyone."
Until this point I had, somehow, not envisioned a window... so in my mind, it just appeared out of nowhere and lalli spider-scuttles through it in a slightly sped up way...

Also, I ended up thinking about What if Lalli goes to escape out a window and finds it locked or one of those unopenable ones, and he's just there....patting the window...
« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 06:20:12 AM by OrigamiOwl »
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

KicknRun

• Ranger
  • excitable hatred
  • Preferred pronouns: he/her
« Reply #459 on: June 07, 2015, 06:47:04 AM »

Spoiler: show
Hah! Renyir wondering who exactly Tuuri is related to. Emil defending the bowl with a mop. Blackmail, and you got how crushes work a little wrong, but yeah mostly right. (but you don't get crushes so)

Wait a second
*confusion
Aren't you supposed to have the Norwegian thingy first.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 06:49:31 AM by KicknRun »

:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
SSSSoulcount:0

Icon drawn by Piney

Haiz

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #460 on: June 07, 2015, 07:08:12 AM »
ahahh thank you for your comments, it brings me Much Joy to see you enjoy it! I'm also always surprised to find out who (and how many) my readers are, there are different people commenting every time O:

Wait a second
*confusion
Aren't you supposed to have the Norwegian thingy first.
yeaaahh that's what I usually do, but for a Variety of Reasons I can't do the translation thingy for the moment, and since most of you don't speak or read Norwegian anyway........ it can wait.

also, I haven't established any crushes yet 8) you're free to interpret it any way you want though, i'm just doing my weird thing and haha what are feelings. But if you want to go indepth on what you feel was a little off, you can PM me about it!
you'll know where to find me.

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #461 on: June 07, 2015, 07:17:24 AM »
Haiz: that is so sweet and funny! And in character. Love it.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Cat Is in the Moon

• Such Evil.
« Reply #462 on: June 07, 2015, 07:24:44 AM »
"That’s when they heard the squeal."
That squeal was probably mine. XD
You did the cookie scene! *dances around the room*
Happiness! :D Cookies! Thank you!

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #463 on: June 07, 2015, 07:49:54 AM »

"Awwwwww..." ? *Less and less constructive*
I assume everyone see perfectly the scene :) (Poor Emil ^^)

Edit : will we see an Ikea excursion ? :D
« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 09:03:11 AM by Mélusine »
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Sumeri

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Hämäläisjuntti
« Reply #464 on: June 07, 2015, 08:21:20 AM »

....I...I....I cannot deal with- are you trying to- hnnnnngh oH MY GOD I DO WORSHIP YOU NOW, YOU ETHEREAL BEING OF GREATNESS
the mop fight, it broke me
Lankeaa
metsän henget
polvilleen

native: :fi:
fluent: :gb:
somewhat struggling with: :se:
learned but mostly forgotten: :fr:

:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: