Author Topic: The SSSS Scriptorium  (Read 787029 times)

KicknRun

• Ranger
  • excitable hatred
  • Preferred pronouns: he/her
Re: The SSSS Scriptorium
« Reply #420 on: May 26, 2015, 04:01:08 PM »
Here is the link to Chapter two
http://archiveofourown.org/works/3856330/chapters/9019474

Here is Chapter one, for those who haven't read it
http://archiveofourown.org/works/3856330/chapters/8611471

This so good! I like how indignant Emil was. It was funny. And Alma. Alma was very cool.
*pokes your Sigrun characterization
yes good
*pokes my Sigrun characterization
yes not good
(Okay I'm working on it but stilllllll)

:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
SSSSoulcount:0

Icon drawn by Piney

SectoBoss

• Ranger
« Reply #421 on: May 26, 2015, 04:16:14 PM »
Realism? Pfff, what's that?
I don't know if you've ever seen Gurren Lagann, but obviously I was going to end it with the participants literally throwing entire universes at each other.
(Please note that this genuinely happens in Gurren Lagann.)

I've heard tales of how mad that show got but I never thought it got that mad.

As for realism, my idea for Yr 90 Britain includes London becoming a single fused super-giant that regains human intelligence and re-mutates trolls and giants to suit its needs (think a cross between Olaf Stapledon's Fourth Men and Scott Westerfeld's Leviathan Trilogy), technophobic zealots on the Isle of Wight who were only saved by pretending the island had already fallen to the Rash so no refugees turned up there, the Isle of Man being kept safe by a freak storm they attribute to the sea god Manannán mac Lir, and the Welsh holed up in their castles along the coast a la the Finns in Saimaa.

All a bit demented, and hardly in keeping with the established facts about the Rash and what kind of survivor communities it leaves behind, but hey - it's kind of fun (I think). One day I hope to set a 'people of the know world'-type fanfic there...
Native: :uk:  Remembers dregs: :france: :vaticancity:  Learning (slowly): :sweden:
Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
Proud owner of a Haizvatar
I write a bit on AO3

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #422 on: May 26, 2015, 07:39:49 PM »
Ooh, Isle of Man! Yes please. It's been many years since last I was there, but there's enough weirdness there already to make it a very good setting for such a tale. The otherworld runs very close to the surface, and there's already a lot of folklore about how the local spirits have protected it from various wars and disasters. Specifically Manannaan, of course -it's his island, hence the name. Have you ever read 'The Wanderings of Oisín'? There aren't many good translations, most are far too scholarly and obscure and obsessed with word forms - four pages discussion of a line of poetry for each line of the adventure, and some of the 19th century translations from the Scottish and Isles variants of the tale are downright painful.
William Butler Yeats did a retelling in verse which is a little turgid in language but catches the sweep of the story. The parts of the tale where Oisín and Niamh rescue the kid from the weird interdimensional building full of monsters are set in the Otherworld Isle of Man. I do like it when things like that turn up in a bronze age story!
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

KMK

• Scout
« Reply #423 on: May 27, 2015, 02:07:24 AM »
I was wondering if any of you natives could tell me what companies exist as jewelry shops and sporting/camping/hunting stores in Copenhagen. I am working on a Christmas fic where the characters are going to search for things other than books to give each other as Christmas gifts. Many things will have fallen to dust in 90 years but gold and gems will not. And aluminum camping pots will be intact too. Possibly even high grade cast ironware if they were still in boxes and not directly under a waterleak. Guns and ammo locked in a gunsafe could still be fine. If you can think of any other durable product that survived that they might scrounge as presents let me know.

ParanormalAndroid

« Reply #424 on: May 27, 2015, 05:39:37 AM »
I was wondering if any of you natives could tell me what companies exist as jewelry shops and sporting/camping/hunting stores in Copenhagen. I am working on a Christmas fic where the characters are going to search for things other than books to give each other as Christmas gifts. Many things will have fallen to dust in 90 years but gold and gems will not. And aluminum camping pots will be intact too. Possibly even high grade cast ironware if they were still in boxes and not directly under a waterleak. Guns and ammo locked in a gunsafe could still be fine. If you can think of any other durable product that survived that they might scrounge as presents let me know.
Long-life canned food, if stored properly.
You could be nice to your characters and give them hot chocolate, or be cruel and make it pickles or Spam or something.

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #425 on: May 27, 2015, 05:52:00 AM »
Year-gifts, hmm....camping shop - firestrikers, maybe high-quality blades if they've stored well enough. Trangias (those sets of nested aluminium cooking pots with a little firepot to go under the frame). Axes, cleavers, hammers, mallets, tomahawks. Rucksacks. Socks (again, depends how well stored). Tarpaulins ditto. Boots ditto. Climbing picks or geopicks. Those little sets of nested aluminium drinking cups. Fancy water canteens. Synthetic rope (don't know if you know how labour-intensive making natural rope is, even if you can get the hemp or flax. An intact coil of nylon rope would be a treasure). Clips, springs, carabiniers. Waterproof containers. Waxed thread (again, if well enough stored).
Nothing very ornamental in that lot, I'm afraid, but this is an old bushie thinking about what she'd like to be given in such a case!
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

ParanormalAndroid

« Reply #426 on: May 27, 2015, 06:19:42 AM »
Synthetic rope (don't know if you know how labour-intensive making natural rope is, even if you can get the hemp or flax. An intact coil of nylon rope would be a treasure).
Speaking from experience, making properly strong and reliable natural rope is massively irritating, even if you've got properly prepared flax fibres.

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
Glassware
« Reply #427 on: May 27, 2015, 02:08:34 PM »

Glass will last for centuries, undisturbed.  Aside from glassware (drinking glasses, pitchers, vases, dishes, etc.), jewelry, suncatchers and similar window doodads, and figurines /artworks, they might also find functional and optical glass:  prisms, surveyor's scopes, binoculars, magnifying glasses, telescopes, and so forth.  Canning jars, cookware, and lab equipment, too. 

Imagine finding a teapot like this.  Or stumbling across a Baccarat storefront.  (Long ago, I had a job at Gumps, a very fancy gift store in San Francisco.  On my breaks, I would wander into the art glass department and ogle all the pretty things.  Can you tell?  ;))

I know that glass from pre-industrial eras flows and deforms very slowly over time, which is why stained-glass windowpanes in cathedrals and such are now slightly thicker at the bottom than the top.  But I don't know if A) that happens to industrially made high-quality glass, e.g. lead crystal or lab-type borosilicate glass; and B) if 90+ years would be enough to make a piece of industrial glass sag enough to lose its precision.  (In other words, would binoculars from Year Zero still work, assuming their other mechanism wasn't rusted/damaged?)
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 02:10:14 PM by Sunflower »
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Sunflower

• Saraswati
« Reply #428 on: May 27, 2015, 02:20:24 PM »
Long-life canned food, if stored properly.
You could be nice to your characters and give them hot chocolate, or be cruel and make it pickles or Spam or something.

Don't they occasionally find supplies from late-19th and early-20th century polar explorers that are still edible?  A quick peek at Wikipedia re: Scott's doomed Antarctic expedition turned up this:

While the preservation of food in the freezing temperatures and dry climate has been noted, bacterial decay still occurs. Visitors describe the seal meat preserved at the Discovery Hut as smelling 'quite rancid', and some[who?] have expressed concerns that the fabric of these huts are being affected by fungal decay.
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

ParanormalAndroid

« Reply #429 on: May 27, 2015, 02:28:38 PM »
Don't they occasionally find supplies from late-19th and early-20th century polar explorers that are still edible?  A quick peek at Wikipedia re: Scott's doomed Antarctic expedition turned up this:

While the preservation of food in the freezing temperatures and dry climate has been noted, bacterial decay still occurs. Visitors describe the seal meat preserved at the Discovery Hut as smelling 'quite rancid', and some[who?] have expressed concerns that the fabric of these huts are being affected by fungal decay.
Well, with modern food and the amount of preservatives and sealing going into them, if they happened to be in a cool basement or something similar I can't see why they wouldn't still be edible after 90 years. Especially desiccated things like chocolate powder.

Sunflower

• Saraswati
« Reply #430 on: May 27, 2015, 02:42:57 PM »
I was wondering if any of you natives could tell me what companies exist as jewelry shops and sporting/camping/hunting stores in Copenhagen. I am working on a Christmas fic where the characters are going to search for things other than books to give each other as Christmas gifts.

What about wines and liquors?  A much earlier entry in the Scriptorium had Our Heroes triumphantly returning to the Oresund base; the *first* box to "fall off the truck" and somehow find its way into Admiral Olsen's hands was a crate of top-shelf French brandy.  (I have a feeling the kiddies might over-indulge in this stuff because it doesn't have the same burns-so-you-know-it's-working-real-good feeling as akvavit or Finnish vodka... but that might be kind of entertaining...) 

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
Re: Glassware
« Reply #431 on: May 27, 2015, 03:21:51 PM »
I know that glass from pre-industrial eras flows and deforms very slowly over time, which is why stained-glass windowpanes in cathedrals and such are now slightly thicker at the bottom than the top.
Actually that is being disputed.

Anyway, to quote an even more relevant part of that article:
"Sometimes people say that good evidence that glass does not flow is provided by telescope lenses which after 150 years still maintain excellent optical qualities.  They would be spoiled by the slightest deformation."
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Sunflower

• Saraswati
Re: Glassware
« Reply #432 on: May 27, 2015, 03:50:21 PM »
Actually that is being disputed.

Anyway, to quote an even more relevant part of that article:
"Sometimes people say that good evidence that glass does not flow is provided by telescope lenses which after 150 years still maintain excellent optical qualities.  They would be spoiled by the slightest deformation."

Thanks, JoB.  I knew somebody in our well-informed community would know! 
I find glass so intriguing -- don't know why.

SectoBoss

• Ranger
« Reply #433 on: May 27, 2015, 07:26:38 PM »
As someone slogging through a science degree, I’m slightly sad we never saw much of Siv’s work in the comic. So I wrote this, a short story of Siv pulling a late shift in the lab on the night Torbjörn quit his job. Remember those trolls in the background of page 138? Siv certainly will after this…

http://archiveofourown.org/works/4023631

I hope you all like it!

(I really need to stop writing and do some revision now)
Native: :uk:  Remembers dregs: :france: :vaticancity:  Learning (slowly): :sweden:
Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
Proud owner of a Haizvatar
I write a bit on AO3

Sunflower

• Saraswati
« Reply #434 on: May 27, 2015, 08:06:47 PM »
As someone slogging through a science degree, I’m slightly sad we never saw much of Siv’s work in the comic. So I wrote this, a short story of Siv pulling a late shift in the lab on the night Torbjörn quit his job. Remember those trolls in the background of page 138? Siv certainly will after this…

http://archiveofourown.org/works/4023631

I hope you all like it!

(I really need to stop writing and do some revision now)

Brilliant!  (Troll names FTW...)