Author Topic: The SSSS Scriptorium  (Read 779976 times)

Solovei

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • You name it, Captain Solo will ship it.
Re: The SSSS Scriptorium
« Reply #150 on: February 19, 2015, 10:34:33 PM »
I read this yesterday (rather than working like I should have been doing - congratulations :P ) and just had to comment to say how much I liked it ^_^ I've nothing clever to say about it really, but the little story has really struck a chord, and has been lingering at the back of my head since reading it. So yeah, good job  :D

Awww, thank you! ^_^
:hat:Support your fanfic authors!:betterhat:
Co-admin of the SSSS Wiki | AO3 |
:chap2:
:chap3:
:chap4:
:chap5:
:chap6:
:chap7:
:chap8:

Fluent: :canada: :russia:
Managing to stumble through: :sweden:

StellersJayC

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Happy!
« Reply #151 on: February 22, 2015, 10:28:18 AM »
As I promised some people on the IRC, I have written a thing:
Story!!

I honestly never pictured myself writing fanfiction, but it's the first piece of writing I've finished in four years (that's about a fourth of my life, do at this point I'll take anything). Even better, it was fun! So I may have to do it again. :)

Solovei

• Tumblr
« Reply #152 on: February 22, 2015, 12:22:14 PM »
As I promised some people on the IRC, I have written a thing:
Story!!

I honestly never pictured myself writing fanfiction, but it's the first piece of writing I've finished in four years (that's about a fourth of my life, do at this point I'll take anything). Even better, it was fun! So I may have to do it again. :)

So cute! ^_^ I love that "minor injuries" is a tag, haha...

Dai

« Reply #153 on: February 23, 2015, 12:46:02 AM »
Just added this little effort from a couple days ago (had to modify it slightly to get around the NetNanny-style security!):

Thump. Thump. Thump. Thump....
Emil was lying on his stomach on a bunk, idly kicking his foot into the wall.
Emil was bored.

Mikkel looked up from his book, an irritated expression on his normally impassive face. "Could you please stop that? It's most distracting..."

Emil stopped thumping and rolled over."Well, excuse me!" he muttered.

It was becoming intolerable.

The expedition had been stalled for more than a week now.

All of their leads had ended up in empty dead-ends or impassible giants' lairs.

Now the normally reliable tank had developed an elusive electrical fault that left them immobile. Emil could hear the banging and uncharacteristic cursing - colourfully, in three languages - from an unusually grumpy Tuuri.

An increasingly tetchy Mikkel had immersed himself in the books they had recovered. This current one seemed to have held his attention for a few days now - though his mood had not improved much.

Sigrun couldn't stand the inaction and had been almost continually hunting for the past week; the only upside of this situation was that they had enough meat to feed  a platoon for a month.

Emil rolled over again and frowned at the still figure under the bunk.

Only Lalli seemed to be dealing with the situation. He had come back from a scouting mission - that had found nothing - and then just...slept.
He'd been sleeping for three days now...

Emil's frown deepened. Or *was* it sleep? There was something uncanny about the stillness...was Lalli even *breathing*?

Emil rolled off the bunk and leaned closer...

Lalli's eyes snapped open.

Emil jerked backwards, stifling a curse as he hit the back of his head on the bunk.  He could have sworn the Finn's eyes were *glowing*...

Lalli, his mouth curved in a rare smile, spoke something in Finnish. There was a lull in the banging and cursing from the mechanic. 

"Well, hello! He's finally back." She launched into an incomprehensible conversation with her cousin.

"'Back'?" thought Emil. "Funny way of putting it..."

Lalli spoke again. Tuuri nodded, her face softening into the cheerful expression to which Emil was accustomed.

She leaned back with a sigh. "He's found it! Lalli's found the reason we're stuck here."

Emil frowned."Reason? I thought it was just a patch of bad luck."

"No, it's more than that", replied Tuuri. "Things breaking down, all paths blocked,  or too dangerous, even for Sigrun... it was just too much, all at once."

"So, Lalli has been trying to invoke the help of the spirits. That's where he's been for the last three days..."

Emil looked sceptical. "Well? What's the answer?"

Tuuri stretched and smiled. "Chapter break."

"What?! Is he sure?"

"Positive. We can't do anything constructive until it's over."

"Great..." Emil flopped face-down on to the bunk again.

Tuuri grinned. "*But* - it's nearly over."

Emil raised his face from the pillow. "HOW nearly?"

"A day, maybe two at most..."

"Excellent!" They turned to the source of the voice.

Mikkel was sitting up, holding the book in which he had been so engrossed.
"In that case, we might as well pass the time with a little game I've found..."

Mikkel held up the book, entitled "A Guide for Competitive Cardplayers - Winners' Tips and Strategies".

He smiled...

"Funny how little expression is behind that smile." thought Emil...

DiscoMonster

« Reply #154 on: February 23, 2015, 02:22:45 AM »
I’m unlikely to write anymore, so I’ll post it here. Apologies for the lack of characterisation, dialogue, etc. It’s set in an England I barely remember and is told from the perspective of a British equivalent of a mage, albeit, one who’s going slightly mad.

I grew up in and around Alderley Edge. Magic is ancient and strong there. The tunnels mined there attracted the magical and let them hide away from us, all the while keeping a weaveway to the other world. Sometimes fog and mist would weave into wisps and direct The Predisposed – the empathetic and the aware – to tunnels that weaved a path to magical states. The truth – in the form of stories, song and poetry – emanated from these magical stations. But we had forgotten how to listen and entwine with that world. Although, someone must have remembered.

I was one of The Predisposed.

I had been showing the Blue John Mine to distant cousins when I saw The Distorted in the cavern waters. Transfixed by the Magidream I saw translucent wraith beings growing out and irregular from the reflections of those people on the other side of the ripple-free cavern water. The reflections swam free in the water and warped my appreciation of reality. I looked up at the faces of those who had lost their shadows to another realm. I felt their brainweaves recombining to discordant song and broken rhythm. Those faces were rashed, were burning hot and in pain. I saw the stalactites above and behind them drip polluting fluid into their lungs. Then the stalactites and crystal formed into the hideous teeth and many limbs of The Distorted Giants. They reached out to me. I vomited. I passed out. I had become a seer, magic had revealed itself to me, The Rash was in existence somewhere in the world.

When I was sixteen, my family moved from Alderley Edge to Eyam in Hope Valley. Another abode of magic and mystery for me: barrows, ancient circles and magical architecture. The Plague Village’s border stones form the island, another name for Eyam. The village had kept itself isolated for 14 months during the Bubonic plague; we knew what to do when The Rash came. I, The Seer, knew what to keep out of Eyam and beyond the village’s borders.

Magic had hidden away from people. It did so to protect us because we had found alternative means to navigate and shape the world. The potency of evil in Magic had to be hidden from us – if builders could wend magic and technology we would be fearsome. Magic disappeared from view. But the presence of magic takes a long time to fade and magical beings still stepped into our realm. I suspect a line was crossed. Someone became fearsome, wrought death and life in the same being.

Alderley Edge and the caverns, hills, valleys and moors of the Peak District are seats of magic, reservoirs of spells and enchantments. Magic was still known and sung and told from generation to generation before it could die from memory – before the world could be truly rational and lost to Magic. There are many such Magidepths in the world. Somewhere, someone who was predisposed must have sung a terrible song, woven magic into a story and then interlaced it with the viruses of body, technology and dream. Carelessly, evil was transported across all realms.

When the rash came, I felt it again, stronger than I had in the caverns of The Blue John Mine. It was said that the ban on showing images of the Plague Boat victims in Barcelona had been taken out of respect for the families of the victims. But I saw dreams from Tunisia, Morocco, Algeria and Libya, saw people from North Africa and Sub-Sahara caught in a physiology altering nightmare. People had already yielded to The Rash before it washed up in Europe. From the beach to the bar to the bed, but where was it before the beach? International hubs succumbed and hurried The
Rash around the world, and somewhere a few people were saying, “What is this evil that we’ve done?”

Travel restrictions could only slow the spread, buy time. The censorship surrounding its spread and effects prevented panic. In Eyam I had the ears of the village elders from day one. I predicted events correctly, therefore they listened to me. We remade the old plague border, I sensed those who belonged to The Immune and had them work with me. We killed vermin. We stockpiled. We prepared. I was interviewed for the local TV news. Plague village becomes haven for mystic survivalists they said. Our neighbours in Buxton, Sheffield, Derby and Manchester ridiculed us for a few days.

But as the roads shut, as the communications died, as modern life shut down and ground to a halt they wished us well and hoped we could stay clean. Final communiques with medics and the military losing their sanity insisted that we shoot to kill and burn to cleanse. I knew what they meant. I drew images of the monsters inhabiting my dreams. I showed my villagers the horrors that would be approaching us. Then we blocked the roads and started to dig ditches and make earthen defences. We reinforced stone walls and rolled out barbed wire fences. We set up radio communications.

Then The Immune came: people and cats. Eyam’s reputation as the village in Hope Valley; the mystic’s realm that had closed its border meant it became seen as the safe haven it really was. Of course, we kept The Immune at bay at first and made them live in tents beyond the village border. But most had come prepared with vans and lorries of guns and goods for us and stories and pictures. We sent them out gathering more food and weapons and cats. They told us about The Distorted they had seen, fought, killed and run from.  We exchanged goods for medical help. Eyam expanded as the world shrank.

In my otherrealmworld, I met other Predisposed, small bands of survivors in rural communities. People who had known what to do and who had banded together with The Immune. Via the Weaveway, we communicated images of what we had discovered and how we should act.

I Magidreamt. I weaved. I communicated. Some Rash Distorted called for help, but some I had to flee or fight in my dreams. I didn’t know which realm they were in. During my waking hours I sensed beasts coming and directed Eyam’s best fighters to kill them. We shot deer, sheep, cattle, hounds; destroyed flocks and herds. We burnt burrows, dens and warrens.

Alongside us, the cats killed vermin and small creatures like never before. They walked with us like never before, communicating their wariness to us. Then The Distorted started to appear on our borders, so we burnt the surrounding villages and farmhouses during the day, making our first enchantments to clear the fog and mist, the smoke of the burning cities.

When winter was deep and I could sense The Distorted were dying of cold or were nested inactive. I called other Magidreamers to gather in a realm and we decided on action while we could. Eyam’s Immune looted and then razed Buxton to the ground. I sensed the town's Distorted surrendering to flames and cold. We were elated. In winter I Magidreamt further afield. Other survivor communities also burnt down their neighbouring areas. Wales, Scotland, The Pennines had viable communities of survivors.

We Magidreamers were disturbed by our new ability, but necessity meant we soon learnt to use our gift. We also learnt to do magic in the otherrealmworlds or we would fallen to the dreaming Distorted, who could also inhabit these otherrealmworlds. We travelled with our soul saviours: animals that could transport us back to a safe realm from a dangerous realm; they were lucid dreamers within our lucid dreams, guiding us Magidreamers to safety.

Evil skulked out of the massive northern English cities in the spring. The Distorted shuffled, crawled, slithered, scuttled, struggled out of their first hibernation. They could sense The Predisposed. We could feel their rage and their pain. If I had known, I would have insisted that we burn Chesterfield, Stockport, Sheffield, Manchester that first winter. Of course, some parts had burnt in the uncontrolled blazes The Immune and the last of the Hazmat wearing military had set, but we still needed a directed fire and we were too few to manage it.

The Distorted began to roam far from the towns and cities in spring. They moved at night or under grey skies. I lost contact with two Magidreamers in the smaller survivor communities. I dreamt routes around cities for those wishing to join up with us. A Magidreamer showed me that the old A6 from Stockport had become a Distorted-infested route at night. So we took the most aware cats and went along that route burning houses.

When we got to the outskirts of Stockport I became numb with fear, shook with panic. Then it appeared. It was an Amalgi – an amalgamation of several Distorted. We blasted it with our guns. In the end we had to kill each head it possessed, seven in all. We set alight any building in the vicinity that we could and left well before light faded.

We won every battle but it felt like we were losing the war. Trauma and stress were overwhelming us. We were surviving, we were human, we were alive but all we had was hope. We needed a plan. We needed a future. That wasn’t my world. I had to let others take care of that vision.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 02:35:37 AM by DiscoMonster »

Solovei

• Tumblr
« Reply #155 on: February 23, 2015, 10:54:22 AM »
Just added this little effort from a couple days ago (had to modify it slightly to get around the NetNanny-style security!):

XDDD "Chapter Break" I love it!  <3

P__

« Reply #156 on: February 23, 2015, 12:45:39 PM »
boy am I glad I finally read through this thread (not AO3 yet though)
:book2: aye: :france: :portugal: :uk:
:book3: meh: :italy: :germany: :spain: :sweden:
:book4: :betterhat: :hat:
:chap5: :A2chap01: :A2chap03: :A2chap04:

StellersJayC

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Happy!
« Reply #157 on: February 23, 2015, 07:57:21 PM »
I remember reading the chapter break one in the comments. It was so funny. :)

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #158 on: February 24, 2015, 08:29:33 PM »
I now have an AO3 account as well, so I posted my (still-incomplete) story "Parliament of Fowles" to it:
http://archiveofourown.org/works/3431273

I promise I have the whole story sketched out, just not yet filled in.  As I'm only now discovering, fiction writing takes time, even when one is building on someone else's world- and character-creation!  It'll get finished before too long, though.

(It's about Tuuri's efforts to revive that Old World tradition, Valentine's Day.)
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Rainy

« Reply #159 on: February 26, 2015, 03:57:02 PM »
I now have an AO3 account as well, so I posted my (still-incomplete) story "Parliament of Fowles" to it:
http://archiveofourown.org/works/3431273

(It's about Tuuri's efforts to revive that Old World tradition, Valentine's Day.)

I just now read this story, thank you for sharing it! I think your Tuuri is a very believable young girl/woman. Now we know the real reason she wanted to see the world outside Keuruu. ;)

(Wondering if Sigrun shares her "war stories" with the whole crew or with just Tuuri. Heh.) 
Fluent: :finland: :uk:
Okay: :sweden:
Knows some: :russia: :vaticancity:

AwsomelyNotAwsome

« Reply #160 on: March 03, 2015, 12:31:48 PM »
Yes, only 969 words! *does victory-dance* Anyway, I started this story a while ago and finally found the time to finish it.

Awwww. too cute. ^_^  11/10 - IGN

The ship is real!!

Curry

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • [musically] IB IS KILLIN ME
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them/theirs
« Reply #161 on: March 04, 2015, 04:18:01 PM »
Oh man, all of these stories are amazing and I have too many new headcanons now.

I actually have a fic of my own I've been working on for a while and I was wondering if you guys would be interested in me posting it? It kind of branches off of the story (around right now, actually) and I do have a couple of OCs featured heavily, but none of them are shipped with the main characters and none of them will be (apart from one character being unrequitedly creepy.) It's not all that ship-driven either but there are a couple (Sigrun X megaphone, Lalli x Emil x Braidy in any combination etc etc). Would this be the right place to post it?
YEET

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #162 on: March 04, 2015, 04:42:17 PM »
You had me at "Sigrun x megaphone."   8)
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Curry

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • [musically] IB IS KILLIN ME
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them/theirs
« Reply #163 on: March 04, 2015, 04:45:32 PM »
You had me at "Sigrun x megaphone."   8)

Yes, to the displeasure of literally every other character in this fanfiction, it's a solar-powered megaphone, so that ship is never going to sink. Ever. (evil laughing)
YEET

Sumeri

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Hämäläisjuntti
« Reply #164 on: March 04, 2015, 05:02:58 PM »
Yes, only 969 words! *does victory-dance* Anyway, I started this story a while ago and finally found the time to finish it.

I am fighting (and failing) against the need to squeal like a madwoman. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS
Lankeaa
metsän henget
polvilleen

native: :fi:
fluent: :gb:
somewhat struggling with: :se:
learned but mostly forgotten: :fr:

:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: