Author Topic: The SSSS Scriptorium  (Read 786854 times)

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
Re: The SSSS Scriptorium
« Reply #135 on: February 11, 2015, 01:02:49 PM »
Guys, guys, this is Braidy we're talking about here...
It's obviously going to be a sheep.
Not just any plain sheep, I trust?
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
Re: Parliament of Fowls (Part 1)
« Reply #136 on: February 11, 2015, 01:51:35 PM »

I counted four instances of what I choose to interpret as innuendo (which means they probably weren't intended as such).

Remember, this is Sigrun we're talking about.  Red-Haired Most Best Captain Terror Ma'am doesn't do innuendo, except with a sledgehammer.  I've spared readers some of her more vivid stories so as not to fall under Thor's Ban.  (But you can imagine why Tuuri was so nervous about Sigrun getting her hands on "50 Shades of Grey.")

There, she was just ribbing Doc about his adherence to protocol.  I don't think she cares about laundry or hospital corners on the bunks. 
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 03:21:11 PM by Sunflower »
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Sunflower

• Saraswati
« Reply #137 on: February 11, 2015, 01:58:49 PM »
Uhmm. So I was bored, and then this thing comes tumbling out of my brain and I thought I'd post the result to you guys :D So in this lil ficlet the Lallemil duo is wandering about in a forest at night. Unfortunate things happen. Didn't know what to do with the others, so let's just say the rest of the motley crew are waiting for them in the catmobile.

...didn't know how to proceed, so I left it at that. Maybe I'll write more once I come up with what happens next. If anyone's interested to see :D

That's wonderful!  Extremely vivid description of the elk-beast.  I'm looking forward to hearing what ingenious spell Lalli comes up with.... and whether the messy Swede sneezes.  (Will Lalli have to rub his back to relax him?   ;) )
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Sunflower

• Saraswati
Parliament of Fowls (Part 2)
« Reply #138 on: February 11, 2015, 03:31:37 PM »
Here's another chunk of Parliament of Fowls.  It doesn't advance the plot, but it does provide some back-story for Tuuri and her family.  (Which I'm sure will eventually be contradicted by Word of God...)

Goodness, writing proper fiction is hard, even when working from another creator's characters and world!  Or, as Chaucer put it in the original "Parliament of Fowls":

The life so short, the craft so long to learn,
The assay so hard, so sharp the conquering,
The fearful joy that slips away in turn...

Anyway, further developments as I flesh them out.

PART 2
The little skald went to her desk and pulled out the almanac. Day 42, Old Reckoning, worked out to the date of February 11.  She leafed ahead a few pages.  Sure enough, February 14 was listed as St. Valentine’s Day. 

Tuuri thought back to the stories her mother used to tell about Valentine’s Day – how it was a love-festival for the Old Timers, and how the birds would pick their mates that morning for the year ahead. 

“And chickie, anyone who sees the birds’ assembly can ask for a sight of their future husband or wife,” her mother would say as she braided Tuuri’s hair.  “Remember the song?  Lennä, lennä, leppätiira, Miss' päi miu morsiammei, Onks Sivossa vai Savossa, Vai oma pello pientareella?” ("Fly, fly, tern.  Where is my loved one, Is she/he in Sivo or Savo, or in my field’s ground?")

Tuuri pulled out her stash of birchbark sheets, which she used for personal writings she didn’t want to be accountable for.  (She’d been lectured more than enough at Keuruu about how expensive typewriter ribbons are and how many man-hours of fishing and lumbering they cost.)  She doodled absently with a carbon pencil as memories overwhelmed her.

How her father, coming home from the sawmill in the evening, would call, “Where’s my little princess?” and swing her up off the ground with a kiss.  Then, “Where’s my strong warrior?” and lastly, “Where’s the queen of the castle?”  At which her mother would hurry over, even smudged with garden soil, paint, or flour, and he’d swing her up in his arms as if she weighed no more than Tuuri.

She remembered that the neighbors always said her parents were a real love match, just like in the old stories.  Her father had had a proper bride arranged for him in the village, but he broke the engagement, signed on with a crew of timber brokers, and spent four years trading all around Lake Saimaa.

And when at last the scandal had died down, her father showed up with a bride he’d picked out all on his own – a stranger, an orphan, an Old Believer, with no family ties to share, no land-rights or business-shares to bestow, no livestock, machines, or furniture in her dowry -- just a box of clothes and a paint-kit. 

“She’s not even all that pretty, with that dark foreign hair,” Tuuri had heard one old woman say to another.  “And yet Jussi dotes over her like a rooster with one hen.”

“Well, women have their ways,” the other one had replied.  And then their voices had sunk too low for Tuuri, up on the watch platform, to hear them.

Ways, Tuuri pondered.  Delightful ideas began bubbling up, and she giggled a little as she put the pages back in the drawer.

Paul Ferris

« Reply #139 on: February 13, 2015, 06:32:02 AM »
Wonderful writing Sunflower. I love the way you force the character's personalities through their own plotty prism, but they come out as if Minna had written your stories :)
Learning: :denmark:
Can read and sort-of speak: :france:
Native: :australia:

Solovei

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • You name it, Captain Solo will ship it.
Re: Parliament of Fowls (Part 2)
« Reply #140 on: February 13, 2015, 12:19:45 PM »
Here's another chunk of Parliament of Fowls.  It doesn't advance the plot, but it does provide some back-story for Tuuri and her family.  (Which I'm sure will eventually be contradicted by Word of God...)

Omg I love it! I love how old-fashioned it sounds <3
:hat:Support your fanfic authors!:betterhat:
Co-admin of the SSSS Wiki | AO3 |
:chap2:
:chap3:
:chap4:
:chap5:
:chap6:
:chap7:
:chap8:

Fluent: :canada: :russia:
Managing to stumble through: :sweden:

Solovei

• Tumblr
« Reply #141 on: February 16, 2015, 02:09:46 PM »
Finally put this up on AO3!

http://archiveofourown.org/works/3373166

Pretty short little thing about Lalli and Tuuri that I originally wrote for one of the forum members but decided to post anyway. Hope you guys like it!

Sunflower

• Saraswati
« Reply #142 on: February 16, 2015, 02:21:43 PM »

Pretty short little thing about Lalli and Tuuri that I originally wrote for one of the forum members but decided to post anyway. Hope you guys like it!

The adorableness!  Tuuri explaining things in terms Lalli can understand!  I love it!

(Just one question:  When you say the... new character... is "about the same age as her brother," do you mean Tuuri's brother Onni, i.e. about 23 in story time?  Or did you actually mean "same age as her COUSIN," i.e. as Lalli?)

Solovei

• Tumblr
« Reply #143 on: February 16, 2015, 02:24:22 PM »
The adorableness!  Tuuri explaining things in terms Lalli can understand!  I love it!

(Just one question:  When you say the... new character... is "about the same age as her brother," do you mean Tuuri's brother Onni, i.e. about 23 in story time?  Or did you actually mean "same age as her COUSIN," i.e. as Lalli?)
I meant same age as Onni :)
I realize that an early-20s person asking out a 16-year-old would be a little weird in real life, but something tells me the rash may have changed societal attitudes about dating somewhat.

Solovei

• Tumblr
« Reply #144 on: February 17, 2015, 12:40:20 PM »
Woops looks like I did it again! Have another fic, you guys!. Just a word of warning that there's some actual making out in this one! Nothing explicit, but I thought I would let you know.

It's set during Year 1, in Iceland, and features some of the Hotel Survivors and Arni, from the prologue! Hope y'all like it :)

Sunflower

• Saraswati
« Reply #145 on: February 17, 2015, 12:57:35 PM »
Woops looks like I did it again! Have another fic, you guys!. Just a word of warning that there's some actual making out in this one! Nothing explicit, but I thought I would let you know.

It's set during Year 1, in Iceland, and features some of the Hotel Survivors and Arni, from the prologue! Hope y'all like it :)

Wow, that's lovely.  I'm old-fashioned enough that I had to, uh, adjust my expectations about the romantic encounter.  But I think it's very touching and well-motivated. 

Question:  When one of the Hotel Survivors refers to Hannah as his "mother," he means his host or adoptive mother, right?

EDIT:  How much work is it to sign up for An AOOO account?  I'm still working on my story, which will be at least twice the length of what I've shared so far, and I'm starting to think I shouldn't just spam this thread with it.

Solovei

• Tumblr
« Reply #146 on: February 17, 2015, 01:13:24 PM »
Wow, that's lovely.  I'm old-fashioned enough that I had to, uh, adjust my expectations about the romantic encounter.  But I think it's very touching and well-motivated. 

Question:  When one of the Hotel Survivors refers to Hannah as his "mother," he means his host or adoptive mother, right?

EDIT:  How much work is it to sign up for An AOOO account?  I'm still working on my story, which will be at least twice the length of what I've shared so far, and I'm starting to think I shouldn't just spam this thread with it.

Ah, sorry if that's confusing... I should add it into the notes. Hannah is another girl who happened to get stuck in Iceland (en route to denmark to study). Mikkel was actually travelling with his parents at the time, so both his mother and father are around. Anyway, Hannah and Mikkel became really good friends and she went to live with them on the farm.

As for AO3 accounts: it's invite-only so far, so you have to request one and usually it's emailed to you within a day or two!

ruth

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • pining for the fjords
« Reply #147 on: February 17, 2015, 01:27:51 PM »
...and another new chapter. i hope you guys like it. :)
Principal mouthnoises: :spain: :uk: :norway:

Sigrid Marie

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Draws a lot and sleeps very little
« Reply #148 on: February 17, 2015, 01:55:42 PM »
How much work is it to sign up for An AOOO account?  I'm still working on my story, which will be at least twice the length of what I've shared so far, and I'm starting to think I shouldn't just spam this thread with it.

When I signed up for ao3 I got my invitation in just an hour or something ;3 (but like Solovei said it could take a day, maybe two, at most)

Gwenno

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Be the change you wish to see
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #149 on: February 19, 2015, 07:41:54 PM »

I read this yesterday (rather than working like I should have been doing - congratulations :P ) and just had to comment to say how much I liked it ^_^ I've nothing clever to say about it really, but the little story has really struck a chord, and has been lingering at the back of my head since reading it. So yeah, good job  :D
You're a fool if you dance or not so you might as well dance

Fluent: :wls: :gb:
駄洒落だけ: :jp:
Working on it :nl:
Tourist level: :es: :fr: :it:

Chapter break survivor : :artd: :book1+: :book2: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14:
Soulcount: 10

proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society
Roleplay doc