Author Topic: The SSSS Scriptorium  (Read 780159 times)

Solovei

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • You name it, Captain Solo will ship it.
Re: Looking for a Beta reader.
« Reply #120 on: February 07, 2015, 11:50:53 AM »
I'll PM sunflower asking her to merge the two threads?
:hat:Support your fanfic authors!:betterhat:
Co-admin of the SSSS Wiki | AO3 |
:chap2:
:chap3:
:chap4:
:chap5:
:chap6:
:chap7:
:chap8:

Fluent: :canada: :russia:
Managing to stumble through: :sweden:

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
Re: Looking for a Beta reader.
« Reply #121 on: February 07, 2015, 05:47:32 PM »
I'll PM sunflower asking her to merge the two threads?

Done.  I left the original message headings so DancingRanger's request would still be spottable.

Once you get used to finding this thread in its new home, how about deleting your messages requesting the change?  (I.e. the 3 before this one, and then I'll delete this one too.)

Thanks for asking -- I'm happy to help!
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Sumeri

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Hämäläisjuntti
Re: The SSSS Scriptorium
« Reply #122 on: February 10, 2015, 04:26:23 PM »
Uhmm. So I was bored, and then this thing comes tumbling out of my brain and I thought I'd post the result to you guys :D So in this lil ficlet the Lallemil duo is wandering about in a forest at night. Unfortunate things happen. Didn't know what to do with the others, so let's just say the rest of the motley crew are waiting for them in the catmobile.

Now, I ain't a native English speaker, so you'll forgive me the possible errors in grammar. Anyway, here it is;

This forest was troublesome.

This forest was extremely troublesome. No moon in sight, no stars twinkling in the sky, just deep inky black darkness. Even with his night vision being better than most humans’, Lalli still had some trouble extinguishing…well, anything at all.
Except of course, the obvious; the large, huffing, gurgling elk-like beast slowly making its way towards the bushes they were hiding in.

There was no wind blowing through the trees, no sounds suitable to provide a distraction needed for them to slip away unnoticed by the ungodly creature leaving trails of dark reddish, disgusting gooey substance in its wake as it dripped from various parts of the beast’s body. Aside from the occasional vicious gurgle, it moved with a surprisingly quiet gait, slightly rotten feet carrying the large body with ease. Crusted blood and pieces of flesh decorating its antlers, one of its eyes dangling from the nerves still attached to the eye-socket, the elk was truly a gruesome sight. As it was, there’d be no running from this one if they were noticed, for the horrible being had the advantage of having by far a superior speed to any human on his or her feet. Being gored by the sharp antlers or trampled by the strong hooves was not something he wanted to experience anytime soon.

So he stayed still. Very, very still and very, very silent. Wracking his brain for a quick, but quiet spell for their defense, he glanced at the Swede crouching beside him. Despite the lack of wind, the temperature was below freezing, so they were huddled close enough together for him to feel Emil tremble slightly while clutching his gun, probably anxious by the elk-beast’s sudden appearance seemingly out of nowhere. Hmmmh. He should probably try to calm down his messy Swede of a teammate, before he grew too nervous and crushed a twig or something. And Spirits help him if he sneezed. He would murder the Swede, if the beast didn’t get to him first.

With that in mind, Lalli quietly laid a hand on Emil’s back. The minuscule trembling stopped, and the Swede turned his head to look at him. In response, the mage put a finger on his lips in the universal shushing gesture, and nodded his head at the wraithlike beastling.

It was coming closer.

...didn't know how to proceed, so I left it at that. Maybe I'll write more once I come up with what happens next. If anyone's interested to see :D
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 04:30:25 PM by Sumeri »
Lankeaa
metsän henget
polvilleen

native: :fi:
fluent: :gb:
somewhat struggling with: :se:
learned but mostly forgotten: :fr:

:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14:

Sigrid Marie

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Draws a lot and sleeps very little
« Reply #123 on: February 10, 2015, 04:31:46 PM »
Uhmm. So I was bored, and then this thing comes tumbling out of my brain and I thought I'd post the result to you guys :D So in this lil ficlet the Lallemil duo is wandering about in a forest at night. Unfortunate things happen. Didn't know what to do with the others, so let's just say the rest of the motley crew are waiting for them in the catmobile.

Now, I ain't a native English speaker, so you'll forgive me the possible errors in grammar. Anyway, here it is;

This is lovely! You should definitely write more! :D

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
Parliament of Fowls (Part 1)
« Reply #124 on: February 10, 2015, 05:04:42 PM »
Here's a story I whipped up to be seasonally appropriate.  (This is just the first installment -- it kind of got away from me.  The date becomes relevant in the next part.)

For narrative convenience, I pretended the mission launched in early January and they've been at it for about a month.  (So they haven't had time to level up *too* much, just to get to know one another.)

Parliament of Fowls
PART 1

Fiddles and flutes played as strong arms swept Tuuri up into the dance, whirling madly around a palatial hall lit with thousands of electric bulbs.  Her feet, in glittering Old-Time slippers, barely seemed to touch the floor as her long princess skirt flared around her ankles.  Then the whirling stopped, the arms tightened around her, and golden hair brushed her brow as a voice murmured…

“Tuuri?  Tuuri!” 
Fingers snapped in front of her nose. 

“Wake up, little pal!  I said, can you read back the status report?”
The Finnish skald dropped her notebook, blushingly scooped it back up, and read:

“Year 91, Day 119.   Before-Times reckoning: Day 42.  Weather:  Warm and rainy. 
“Status report:  Disabled list, four personnel.  None serious.  Eide:  Black eye, mild concussion.  Hotakainen, L: shin splints.  Madsen: wrenched back.  Vasterstrom: food poisoning, minor burns.”

(Lalli murmured:  “I told him those weren’t the kind of mushrooms you can eat, or at least without saying the right words while they cook.  But he just ignored me and kept jabbering, as usual…”)

“At Capt. Eide’s recommendation, we are taking a three-day rest and recovery period while we wait for the weather to turn in our favor.  Dr. Madsen will conduct a thorough inventory while the Captain leads weapons and self-defense practice.
“Books found at our last stop include…”

“All right, brainiac, you can save those details for our bosses,” Sigrun said affably.  “You’re having too much fun with ‘em, anyway.  I should check out the one that makes you giggle so much – Halvtreds Gråtoner, is that it?  Although gray is such a boring color…”

“Ooh, uh, it is boring.  That’s what makes me giggle,” Tuuri said hastily.  The last thing she wanted at the moment was more of Sigrun’s “war stories,” full of details that seemed not only unnerving but anatomically unlikely. 

“All right, crew, an hour to yourselves, then we meet back here at 0900 hours for judo practice.  Remember to strip and remake your bunks neatly, or the good doctor here’s going to have some words with you about protocol.”

As the crew got up to leave, Sigrun grabbed her wrist.  “Hey, Mikkel, I think this one might have a concussion too – remember how she whacked her head against the bunk this morning?  Give her that eye-test-thingie you gave me.”

The medic lumbered over, gently took Tuuri’s chin in one hand, and looked steadily into her eyes for the space of 10 heartbeats, while he probed her scalp with the other hand.  She could feel her face growing hot, and wished she could drop her gaze.  Instead, she tried to think of the exact shade of dark blue his eyes were.  Lake Saimaa in full summer, maybe?

Mikkel let her go and turned to Sigrun.  “No, her pupils are the same size, and she focuses and tracks just fine.  She’s got a bit of a goose egg back there, but nothing time and maybe a cold compress won’t cure.  You, though, are not allowed to grab and throw anyone until I’m satisfied you can actually see straight.”

“Yeah, yeah, you and what army are going to stop me,” the captain said, rolling her eyes.  Once he was out of earshot, she leaned over Tuuri with a sly expression.

“I didn’t actually think you had a concussion, kiddo.  I think spring’s coming early for someone.  And I wanted to see how you reacted.  Haha, you’re still red!  Back home in Norway, we’d just lock a couple in the broom closet till they’d gotten it out of their systems.  Here – I dunno, I could take the boys hunting for an hour and you and Mikkel would have the tank to yourselves…”

“Oh, no!  No, no, it’s not like that!” Tuuri said, horrified.  “I mean – Mikkel’s so big! – er, old!  Besides, he’s always ordering me around, just like the Supply-Sergeant at home.  I’d never… I couldn’t…”

“OK, kiddo, OK, I believe you,” Sigrun said comfortably.  “So how about the pretty Swede?  I mean, he screams a lot, but you know what they say about screamers…”

“It’s not like that,” said poor Tuuri, near tears.  (Truthfully, early on she had been fascinated by Emil’s golden hair and how it always flowed so gracefully, unlike the rough military haircuts she was used to.  But after you’ve stumbled over someone’s sweaty boots a dozen times, fished clots of his blond hair out of the shower drain, and mopped up his vomit, the enchantment does fade.)

“Well, little pal, I don’t know what to tell you.  You’re probably smart not to get your meat where you get your bread… but it’s not like Prince Charming is going to come riding out of the forest like in the old stories.  Tell you what – the minute we get back to civilization, I’ll pick out a couple of hot prospects for you.  Okay?” 

And with a friendly shoulder-punch, the captain strode off.

“Prince Charming riding out of the forest…” Tuuri murmured.

TO BE CONTINUED
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Solovei

• Tumblr
« Reply #125 on: February 10, 2015, 05:04:55 PM »

...didn't know how to proceed, so I left it at that. Maybe I'll write more once I come up with what happens next. If anyone's interested to see :D

That was great! :D I'd love to read the rest!

Sumeri

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Hämäläisjuntti
« Reply #126 on: February 10, 2015, 06:16:00 PM »
That was great! :D I'd love to read the rest!

Thanks :D I think I can squeeze the next scene out of my brain(possibly with fanart) during the weekend, since school is being dumb and giving me things to do again so I'll have to focus on that until Friday. Ugh. Doing things. Doing. Blegh.

Oh and Sunflower, that was simply aaaawesome :D
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 06:18:06 PM by Sumeri »
Lankeaa
metsän henget
polvilleen

native: :fi:
fluent: :gb:
somewhat struggling with: :se:
learned but mostly forgotten: :fr:

:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14:

kahli

• Scout
« Reply #127 on: February 10, 2015, 07:02:22 PM »
Here's a story I whipped up to be seasonally appropriate.
Parliament of Fowls

Wonderful Sunflower!  ;D I can't wait to see the rest!
Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious
Chapter break survivor: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
Re: Parliament of Fowls (Part 1)
« Reply #128 on: February 10, 2015, 08:53:25 PM »
Here's a story I whipped up to be seasonally appropriate.  (This is just the first installment -- it kind of got away from me.  The date becomes relevant in the next part.)

For narrative convenience, I pretended the mission launched in early January and they've been at it for about a month.  (So they haven't had time to level up *too* much, just to get to know one another.)

Parliament of Fowls
PART 1

Ahaha I loved it! ;D I wonder now if anyone's going to come riding out of the forest... ;)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 11:27:32 PM by Piney »

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

Solovei

• Tumblr
« Reply #129 on: February 10, 2015, 10:52:16 PM »

Parliament of Fowls
PART 1

Aaaaahhhh that was cute! :DD Adorable, even! Hehe... Will Braidy be Tuuri's secret prince charming?

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #130 on: February 10, 2015, 11:34:25 PM »
Will Braidy be Tuuri's secret prince charming?

*CROSSES FINGERS*

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #131 on: February 11, 2015, 12:09:06 PM »
I wonder now if anyone's going to come riding out of the forest... ;)
... pray tell, on what!? :o
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

SeaAngel

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #132 on: February 11, 2015, 12:23:26 PM »
... pray tell, on what!? :o

That's a good question...

A tiger!!! Yes.
Or a lynx!
Fluent:
OK:

Solovei

• Tumblr
« Reply #133 on: February 11, 2015, 12:26:54 PM »
Guys, guys, this is Braidy we're talking about here...

It's obviously going to be a sheep.

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #134 on: February 11, 2015, 12:49:39 PM »
We meet back here at 0900 hours for judo practice.  Remember to strip
:0
and remake your bunks neatly
:|

I counted four instances of what I choose to interpret as innuendo (which means they probably weren't intended as such).