Author Topic: The SSSS Scriptorium  (Read 787135 times)

tehta

• Ranger
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
Re: The SSSS Scriptorium
« Reply #3975 on: April 11, 2022, 03:56:54 AM »
So, I just posted something that is NOT Emilalli! And is a touch more serious than my usual.

It's the second chapter of my story Curse Not Thy Guest, in which Reynir, while in Iceland, encounters the ghosts of refugees and finds out about his country's (and family's) past. It features quite a bit of Icelandic magic, grounded in my best internet research.
fluent: :pl: :us:, conversational: :fr: :de:, can spy on conversations: :de: (:ch:) :it:, knows curses: so many others

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #3976 on: April 12, 2022, 06:22:10 AM »
Just in case anyone else out there is in need of fluff (I know I am; that's why I wrote it) I wanted to mention my new Emilalli fic. It is set during the Epilogue, somewhere before The Great Snow Shoveling Adventure, and yes, it is pointless fluff.
It can be found at AO3.

And awesome fluff it is.  The nice, plausible kind of fluff, with in-character interactions and missing-scene worldbuilding.
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

tehta

• Ranger
« Reply #3977 on: April 14, 2022, 12:53:23 AM »
Thank you so much! I definitely meant for this to be a gapfiller (to explain Emil's rapidly improving Finnish, as well as Lalli's impressive laziness) as well as comfort-fluff.
fluent: :pl: :us:, conversational: :fr: :de:, can spy on conversations: :de: (:ch:) :it:, knows curses: so many others

Mirasol

• Ranger
  • Always do what cat!
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #3978 on: April 17, 2022, 05:07:03 PM »
*Manifests out of thin air*

I was in a writing-mood today! Well, more in an editing-mood... I posted some (slightly proofread) stories I posted here for various events before on Ao3 now:

(How to catch) Karvaturri: posted originally for the bear-beast-chapter-break-filler, last year´s March/April. Warning, this one´s a bit gory.

Nightmares: this one is two stories. The first one I already posted here (the one based on a dream I had), and today I decided to finish the second dream-story that´s been sitting on my laptop for over a year now. So chapter 2 is a new story!

Uh... good you´ve all been posting fluff recently, these ones definitly aren´t... that. :'D

*goes back into her writing-hole to hopefully continue the Kitty-story*
supposedly studying, most likely drawing…

fluent: :de: :us: sort of: :fr: learning!: :fi: I wish…: :it:

Proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

:squirrelcookie: Current Squirrel-cookie-chef :squirrelcookie:

dmeck7755

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
« Reply #3979 on: April 18, 2022, 04:45:39 PM »
I have been thinking on how everyone would start working together in the early days also.  So here is a beginning of the world thing. 
 It kinda fits in the end of the world...

https://archiveofourown.org/works/37885927/chapters/96137602
"without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."

-Frank Zappa

tehta

• Ranger
« Reply #3980 on: May 03, 2022, 10:53:31 AM »
So, I wrote a story I actually like! It's an AU-or-canon-fix of Adventure Two, and it's mercifully short (1.5k words).

The crew has been wintering in Finland for quite a while, and they’re very comfortable. Still, something feels a little off. With the weather, with Onni, and especially with all of their dreams.

It can be found here.

thegreyarea

• Skald
  • Proud Guardian of Cabo Ruivo Seaport (Lisbon)
« Reply #3981 on: May 14, 2022, 07:22:13 PM »
Hi! I've made this for the Prompt of the Week, but thought that it makes sense to put a link here at the Scriptorium.

The Wanderer

I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.  :)
Chapter break survivor: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:
Languages: :pt: :br: Capable: :gb: Can read and survive: :es: Knows a bit: :fr: :it:

proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

Buteo

• Ranger
« Reply #3982 on: May 15, 2022, 01:45:17 AM »
I thoroughly enjoyed it, thegreyarea. And your surprise was a success! Turns out it was a good thing to read your two stories in reverse order.

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #3983 on: May 15, 2022, 07:53:52 AM »
Yeah, good story, Grey. One wonders if your wanderer is another one like Pastor A who is held together by their will despite being infected?
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

thegreyarea

• Skald
« Reply #3984 on: May 15, 2022, 08:02:18 AM »
I thoroughly enjoyed it, thegreyarea. And your surprise was a success! Turns out it was a good thing to read your two stories in reverse order.
Thanks, Buteo! I'm very happy that it worked! :)

Yeah, good story, Grey. One wonders if your wanderer is another one like Pastor A who is held together by their will despite being infected?
Thanks, Róisín! I'd say that will is extremely important (how one stays sane after eight years crossing the silent world?) but in this case there's also a magic component...

real spoiler below:

Chapter break survivor: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:
Languages: :pt: :br: Capable: :gb: Can read and survive: :es: Knows a bit: :fr: :it:

dmeck7755

« Reply #3985 on: May 15, 2022, 09:18:41 AM »
Thanks, Buteo! I'm very happy that it worked! :)
Thanks, Róisín! I'd say that will is extremely important (how one stays sane after eight years crossing the silent world?) but in this case there's also a magic component...

real spoiler below:

Grey, I love your “surprise” stories.  This was great.  I agree with Róisín, that reverse order makes it better.

Spoiler: show
Grandma’s gift, necklace?
"without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."

-Frank Zappa

thegreyarea

• Skald
« Reply #3986 on: May 15, 2022, 07:52:37 PM »
Grey, I love your “surprise” stories.  This was great.  I agree with Róisín, that reverse order makes it better.

Grandma’s gift, necklace?

Thanks, dmeck! I'm very glad that you liked it.  ^-^  I was a little worried about it all becoming "too much surprises", afraid to overuse the trick. Next story's characters will be exactly what they seem to be.
 (will they? ;D )

I'll probably organize them as a single story with two chapters (for the moment), but with The Wanderer being the first.
And yes, you're right about the necklace. It seems that Gregor's grandma really had a secret or two...  ;)

tehta

• Ranger
« Reply #3987 on: July 10, 2022, 05:18:01 PM »
After a lot of pain and suffering (well, mostly after a lot of procrastination) I have finally finished a story I built around on a series of ficlets I wrote for last year's Yoinktober.

It's complete fluff with no nutritional value: a comedy (of errors) featuring Emil/Lalli and Reynir/Onni, set a few years post-canon, during a wedding in Iceland. And I actually think it might make more sense to read all at once than chapter-by-chapter, as I posted it, because the various heroes stories interlock quite a bit, which will be easier to see in a single reading.

Anyway, it can be found here: https://archiveofourown.org/works/38158930/

And now I can get back to my usual EXTREMELY SERIOUS writing.

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #3988 on: July 10, 2022, 10:39:05 PM »
That story was great fun! Pity about Reynir’s fancy tunic. Maybe they could make a new pair of tunics together, with Reynir putting runes on one for Onni, and Onni stitching appropriate knots into the fabric embroidery and singing his magic into the knots? After all, traditional Finnish magic has a number of knot-spells, though they were mostly used for protection and weather-working.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

tehta

• Ranger
« Reply #3989 on: July 11, 2022, 05:21:02 AM »
Thank you, Róisín! Yes, I think that they might enjoy doing a couple's activity like that. And spells of protection might be much, much more useful than Reynir's love runes.
(The love-tunic is probably fine though! Lalli was wearing it last, and he survived the story unscathed.)