Author Topic: The SSSS Scriptorium  (Read 787024 times)

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
Re: The SSSS Scriptorium
« Reply #3960 on: January 19, 2022, 09:13:49 AM »
So far it is a fine tale, with some Character Development, I like that.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #3961 on: January 19, 2022, 11:14:32 AM »
Thank you Grey, for such a lovely and exotic gift!
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

dmeck7755

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
« Reply #3962 on: January 19, 2022, 04:00:10 PM »
I have a question and could not really find it in the FAQ's

If some one writes a story and they would like to use specifics of other people's work.

do/should you get permissions first?
or
Identify where some of the plot points came from? In notes?  I am not sure if either A03 or fanfic have an acknowledgement header.
or
don't use other's peoples plot points at all?

I am not talking about using other people's work, but if something in their world building is something you want to incorporate in your story.  (kinda like making your story take part in their world)

I am not sure I am getting my question across cleanly
"without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."

-Frank Zappa

Yuuago

• Tumblr
  • Well, there's still hope in this world.
  • Preferred pronouns: He/etc
« Reply #3963 on: January 19, 2022, 05:29:05 PM »
I have a question and could not really find it in the FAQ's

If some one writes a story and they would like to use specifics of other people's work.

do/should you get permissions first?
or
Identify where some of the plot points came from? In notes?  I am not sure if either A03 or fanfic have an acknowledgement header.
or
don't use other's peoples plot points at all?

I am not talking about using other people's work, but if something in their world building is something you want to incorporate in your story.  (kinda like making your story take part in their world)

I am not sure I am getting my question across cleanly

Ao3: if you want to use a worldbuilding detail inspired by someone else’s story, many people appreciate being contacted about it. Since Ao3 doesn’t have a private message system, the easiest way to do the is comment on the relevant story with your question.

Then when you post your work, you can put the info about where the inspiration came from in the Author Notes section, and link to the story that inspired it.

If it’s heavily inspired by another work, you can also use the “Inspired By (other work)” function on Ao3. This creates a link between your story and the other person’s work, and will display as inspired by that work.
Journal | Tumblr | Fic Archive
Og kring meg i myrket/snøar og snøar det. - Olav H. Hauge

thegreyarea

• Skald
  • Proud Guardian of Cabo Ruivo Seaport (Lisbon)
« Reply #3964 on: January 19, 2022, 07:16:14 PM »
Dmeck, I second all that Yuuago said, and would add that if the author of the story that's inspiring your work is here in the Forum than you have the option to send a Personal Message asking for permission. Personally I would feel honoured if another author wanted to use something from one of my stories. :)
Chapter break survivor: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:
Languages: :pt: :br: Capable: :gb: Can read and survive: :es: Knows a bit: :fr: :it:

proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #3965 on: January 20, 2022, 12:10:24 AM »
I think I know what you mean. Not being a very imaginative person, I started writing fanfic by being inspired by a loose end in another writer’s story. I sent them a message asking if I might continue their story and write more about one of their original characters, they agreed that I could do so, and the still-ongoing serial story ‘A Few of Mikkel’s Secrets’ was born. Before that story, I had never written fanfic, and until getting involved in this fandom I had never even encountered the concept, although I had been involved in Science Fiction fandom for decades before that. One of my major interests in the SF community was filk, and I had written or helped to write a bit of that. The concept of publishing stuff on the internet was also new to me. Not that I had never written before, but most of the works that I had previously had published in magazines, technical journals, newspapers or anthologies or broadcast on the ABC or various community radio stations was either technical articles, poetry, songs or ‘hard’ science fiction short stories. So writing fanfic for a fantasy comic on the internet was a huge step!

Anyway, when I put up the start of my first fanfic story, I explained to the readers where the idea had come from - it seemed polite to do so.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #3966 on: January 20, 2022, 03:08:32 AM »
I second everything in this. Generally I would expect most writers would be happy about being an inspiration to another. Of course it’s always polite to acknowledge your inspiration.

Using someone else’s original character would in my mind require explicit permission from the original author. There is of course some grey area in what constitutes an “original character”, for example I have written a couple of short bits about the childhood of Sointu Takasuo, the Eyes of Vipers. She appears in a newspaper article with a picture, so is she a canon character or an OC? I’m happy with anyone using my child Sointu and/or the ideas about the animal affinity magic, but it’s an example of the question. If in doubt, I would prefer to err on the side of caution, i.e. ask rather than not ask.

Then again, the original author may not be around anymore. If you tried to reach them and didn’t get a a response, then you probably could go with the “inspired by” function. After all, the overall SSSS setting is on loan from Minna to all of the fanfic authors. It wouldn’t seem proper to me to claim that no one may borrow anything I have written in this setting that was borrowed by me :) Again that gets hazy in the case of AUs though.

If you wish to set your story to someone else’s continuum in a way that could affect that world, it’s also possible to collaborate by making a work or a series co-authored. Obviously only if the other one agrees :) For example I was inspired by a story by tehta where she mentioned a runo, so I wrote the runo. I sent it to her and as she liked it, we added it as a second chapter in the story and we are now both authors. I won’t link it here because of reasons that will be apparent if you come across it :)

One more thing, the Saimaa Floating Town is a collaboration and free to use as a setting by anyone without asking. So far Grey has done most work on it.

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

tehta

• Ranger
« Reply #3967 on: January 20, 2022, 06:00:26 AM »
I can't add much to all the excellent replies on here, except to agree that I would love it if anyone used any element of my work in theirs. Or was inspired by something I wrote.
I do agree that sending the author a note/review is a good idea, both in case they feel differently and in case they love the idea, so they can enjoy the warm glow of having inspired something.

(My one ssss story that is linked to another author's, Polite Rituals, was a bit more of an ambiguous case, since it's a bit of a parody of how ridiculous Emil and Lalli were in her fic. Luckily, she intended them to be ridiculous and is completely on board with more ridiculousness. And now I chat with her from time to time, and get to see her unposted pieces... win-win.)
fluent: :pl: :us:, conversational: :fr: :de:, can spy on conversations: :de: (:ch:) :it:, knows curses: so many others

tehta

• Ranger
« Reply #3968 on: February 26, 2022, 01:10:10 AM »
Hey, I posted a thing! (A few days back now, but I'm a little distracted.

It's titled 'The Mosquito Effect', it's a time-travel story of sorts, and it can be found at https://archiveofourown.org/works/37305544
fluent: :pl: :us:, conversational: :fr: :de:, can spy on conversations: :de: (:ch:) :it:, knows curses: so many others

dmeck7755

« Reply #3969 on: March 21, 2022, 10:04:48 PM »
I decided that a story about scavengers may be in order.  So, here is a little quickie.
https://archiveofourown.org/works/37885927/chapters/94606966

-Frank Zappa

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #3970 on: March 22, 2022, 12:52:34 PM »
Dmeck, great story! Interesting that you made the scavengers a guild! And I absolutely love the pettroll idea!

May I suggest you add a warning for violence, because a named person sliced to ribbons is kinda, well, violent. I would also rate at T.

dmeck7755

« Reply #3971 on: March 22, 2022, 01:21:16 PM »

May I suggest you add a warning for violence, because a named person sliced to ribbons is kinda, well, violent. I would also rate at T.

Thank you for the suggestion.  I have done this.

-Frank Zappa

tehta

• Ranger
« Reply #3972 on: March 26, 2022, 12:32:16 PM »
Just in case anyone else out there is in need of fluff (I know I am; that's why I wrote it) I wanted to mention my new Emilalli fic. It is set during the Epilogue, somewhere before The Great Snow Shoveling Adventure, and yes, it is pointless fluff.
It can be found at AO3.

tehta

• Ranger
« Reply #3973 on: April 06, 2022, 06:27:10 AM »
Several people have expressed interest in ssss gap-fillers. Well, angstyastronaut just posted one: a story about the discussion between Onni and Lalli that must surely have occurred in the Lehto.

It can be found on AO3. I really like it!

dmeck7755

« Reply #3974 on: April 06, 2022, 08:03:03 AM »
Several people have expressed interest in ssss gap-fillers. Well, angstyastronaut just posted one: a story about the discussion between Onni and Lalli that must surely have occurred in the Lehto.

It can be found on AO3. I really like it!

yeah,  it breaks your heart...

-Frank Zappa