Author Topic: The SSSS Scriptorium  (Read 787304 times)

Groupoid

• Safe-Zone Citizen
Re: The SSSS Scriptorium
« Reply #3900 on: March 10, 2021, 06:30:07 PM »
O_O such headcanon, much wow, expressed in so few words (doge meme). That’s quite some writing-skill.
Native: :de: (:ch:), Ok: :gb:, Rusty: :fr:, A bit: :ru:

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #3901 on: March 11, 2021, 01:30:27 AM »
I don’t know who was the more upset, Mikkel to find his kids, all grown up and settled*, still causing a commotion. Or the boys, upon learning that Mikkel can cook good food after all.

* he’s of course kept tabs on his family
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

Maglor

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #3902 on: March 11, 2021, 03:55:56 AM »
Reading waverwright fic.
I believe it's rather starf than stave. Plus starf is a runescript, while what Reynir uses is obviosly a bindrunes.
Whoa, so he's bi?
Oh, am I correct to say I gave you the idea of lassoing a troll with a magic chain?)
I believe it's Mages, not Mags. Or do yo have smth to say with this form of multiple number?
Native: Russian.
Fluent: English.
Understandable: Belorussian and Ukrainian.
A bit: French.

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #3903 on: March 11, 2021, 05:44:54 PM »
Reading waverwright fic.
I believe it's rather starf than stave. Plus starf is a runescript, while what Reynir uses is obviosly a bindrunes.
Whoa, so he's bi?
Oh, am I correct to say I gave you the idea of lassoing a troll with a magic chain?)
I believe it's Mages, not Mags. Or do yo have smth to say with this form of multiple number?

Starting from the bottom:
'Mags' is just a nickname for Magda.  Sigrun has a nickname for everybody, but Magda is not a fleshed-out character so giving her a more Sigrunesque nickname wouldn't work for the reader.

I didn't *consciously* borrow your chain, Maglor, I was going with the prompt for "restraint/binding" but I have to admit that I was beta-reading your story when I interrupted to write this one, so maybe?  I didn't lift it on purpose, but can't discount the possibility.

I left a lot of things ambiguous in the story, including Reynir's preferences in flirtations.  Remember, the military in post-Rash Norway is not exclusively cishet male. He could be flirting with anyone, and he'd probably know enough about the rest of the troop to know where their inclinations lie in turn.

I do not have a firm headcanon on the sexual preferences of most of the cast, rather writing my stories to suit a prompt or idea (or joke).  Going through my stories, I chop and change things a lot (for instance, Michael, Mikkel's twin, is dead at Kastrup, or living as a trans woman, or in Iceland somewhere, or back at the farm...).  Since I almost exclusively write genfic and don't get into what body parts interact, I reckon I can get away with being ambiguous.

The innovative designs of galdrastafir he's used in this story encompass both the 'binding' of the prompt, and also rendering the beast docile and tractable.  I won't speculate on the actual designs; I invoke hand-waving 'whatever works for the story' and not actual researched Icelandic or Finnish magic. 

And many thanks for the compliments on my leeetle response.  Heh. 
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

Jellyfish

• Super-Newbie
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them
« Reply #3904 on: March 27, 2021, 10:31:15 PM »
State of the Union Version Four is a go.
I'll try to get chapters out at least biweekly.
LINK:https://archiveofourown.org/works/29931972/chapters/73674021

Mirasol

• Ranger
  • Always do what cat!
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #3905 on: March 28, 2021, 12:39:54 PM »
State of the Union Version Four is a go.
I'll try to get chapters out at least biweekly.
LINK:https://archiveofourown.org/works/29931972/chapters/73674021

Hi there, just pinching in to tell you that to make links work you have to put them in the brackets you get when clicking on "insert hyperlink" above you´re typing-window. They look approximately like this: [url ]link[ /url] (without spaces in between. Just quote my post to see how I did it.) I hope I could help! :)

Here´s your link in working: https://archiveofourown.org/works/29931972/chapters/73674021

I very much enjoy your story! Scary and sad, but very well-written, I like the episodic character. Keep it up!
supposedly studying, most likely drawing…

fluent: :de: :us: sort of: :fr: learning!: :fi: I wish…: :it:

Proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

:squirrelcookie: Current Squirrel-cookie-chef :squirrelcookie:

lwise

• Scout
« Reply #3906 on: April 25, 2021, 08:44:45 AM »
Róisín suggested that I should put this in the Scriptorium.  It's just a little fan-ficlet about a voting prompt on page 417.  I hope this works.

Spoiler: "Bedtime story" • show
"And then," Sigrun said, extending her leg and admiring the new cast, "the dumb-bunny mages all took off deeper into the hotel, even though I was shouting at them to come back."

"She shouted in Norwegian, which they didn't understand," Mikkel explained, bouncing the five-year-old twins, Asbjørn and Morten, on his knees. "That's why you have to speak Norwegian, Icelandic, and Finnish."

"Then the mama bear beast burst through the window, glass flying everywhere, and she glared right into my eyes! We three had to run back up the stairs and …" She paused dramatically.

"And? And?" Morten asked anxiously.

"And that is a story for another day," Mikkel said firmly. He lifted the children and seated one on each shoulder. "You will hear it tomorrow if you are good boys, brush your teeth, and go to bed without arguing."

"Oh, no," the children whined in unison, but their parents knew the power of that bribe, and they smiled at each other, looking forward to telling the tale once more.

Then I started a thing on Archive of Our Own that's a much more extended version.  Only three chapters so far, though.

Keep Looking

• Bragi
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her, they/them
« Reply #3907 on: April 25, 2021, 09:05:15 AM »
lwise, this is a really sweet and funny story!
I write poetry sometimes.

Icon by the amazing Rithalie from the SSSS discord (rithalie-art.tumblr.com)

Ruler of Changi Airport

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #3908 on: April 26, 2021, 12:00:12 AM »
Iwise, I am so glad you put this up! Good story, and I hope there will be more.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

lwise

• Scout
« Reply #3909 on: April 30, 2021, 11:47:42 AM »
I have added a fourth chapter to 1001 Tales of the Norwegian Nights on Archive of Our Own.

Róisín

« Reply #3910 on: May 02, 2021, 09:26:57 AM »
A good chapter indeed!

Róisín

« Reply #3911 on: May 09, 2021, 08:38:31 AM »
I have just put up on Archive of our Own my story from the last Chapter Break Filler, ‘Hunting and Game’’. It will become part of my ‘Very Far to the South’ series.

Róisín

« Reply #3912 on: May 10, 2021, 06:52:07 AM »
Have put up on Archive of our Own my other Chapter Break Filler story: ‘Möntti’, the tale of one of the bear beasts. Sad but I think has a sort-of-happy ending.

Jellyfish

• Super-Newbie
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them
« Reply #3913 on: May 18, 2021, 06:48:52 PM »
I've finally gotten a new chapter added to State of the Union. Took me way longer than expected to type all that out. Anyway, here's the link to the full work, which hopefully is properly formatted this time.https://archiveofourown.org/works/29931972/chapters/73674021

lwise

• Scout
« Reply #3914 on: May 21, 2021, 04:49:15 PM »
1001 Tales of the Norwegian Nights on Archive of Our Own now has seven chapters.