Author Topic: The SSSS Scriptorium  (Read 787135 times)

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
Re: The SSSS Scriptorium
« Reply #3750 on: June 07, 2020, 06:45:01 PM »
Haha, Wave, lovely! Onni’s especially is very beautiful, except for the last sentence.

Well, yes, that last bit was an afterthought.  I personally find smoking a huge turn-off and a deal-breaker, but I started thinking about Onni and the mindset that would cause him to sell himself as a soulful poet looking for luurrrve in the forest, and well, it fit that vision.  I kept it terse to be more in tune with his actual character (whom I headcanon as awkward and stone-faced if he gets an actual date from this ad, frantically wondering how he can get from 'hello' to 'oh look, here's some nice handy moss now').
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

thegreyarea

• Skald
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Proud Guardian of Cabo Ruivo Seaport (Lisbon)
« Reply #3751 on: June 08, 2020, 12:59:56 PM »
Anybody up for a bit of harmless humour?  I had an inspiration for a piece this afternoon, definitely not to be overthunk.
As seen on AO3 and in the spoilers below - https://archiveofourown.org/works/24584164
Feel free to add your own take on the concept.

Spoiler: ssss dating profiles • show

What would the cast write for themselves if they had listings in the dating section classifieds of the newspaper (assuming canon tech)? NB: Gendering of desired partners left off deliberately.

Work Text:
Reynir
Hi! I’m Reynir, tall with looooong red hair, green eyes. You can always spot me because of my freckles! (Get it, *spot* me?) Anyway, I love long walks on the beach under the palm trees – except that I’m not immune, so we can’t actually *go* to the beach, but I’d love it. I’m really easygoing and have a great sense of humour, and a good listener. I don’t actually have a job right now, but I can do anything, and I’m helpful around the house, and I’m a mage, too! I don’t know anything about sheep, so would not be suitable on a farm safe in Iceland. Call me!!

Mikkel
Male, immune, 193cm, good build, all my own hair and teeth, Dane. Resourceful, fine with cooking and housework. Looking for an independent type to be my partner in crime, ha ha. I like to travel. Strong preference for names starting with M.

Sigrun
I’m a Captain in the great Norwegian military, from a long line of generals! Great kill ratio (I’ve lost track, but it’s hundreds), fast knife work, good shot, can lay traps, not afraid to get in there and do what needs to be done, might even be you?! I can go all night, especially in the summertime. Can’t stand prissy people or sitting around. If you like to go hard, you should totally pick me!

Lalli
Not weird.

Onni
When the forest is quiet, you can hear best. The sounds travels over the water. The music holds all things in its hands and gives it to the stars. I see the stars reflected in your eyes as my knees sink into the moss. Smokers okay.

Väinö
I hold an honoured and essential position as a skilled noita, ever vigilant against threats to Saimaa. But watching the frontier is lonely work, and the power of a thousand wings only goes so far on long winter nights. I can offer a secure home with breathtaking views. Immunes preferred.

Emil
I come from a good and proud family. I am tidy, good-looking, well-presented, and appreciate someone with refined tastes like mine. Family is very important to me, and there’s nothing I like better than a comfortable home, with good food and a nice fire burning hot and bright and flickering with leaping tongues of flames charring the logs in the hearth to red-hot glowing coals. I also love kids.

Wave, since you said "fell free...", I've received several anonymous responses for the adds (some problem with Y90 mail, for sure). I'll put them below.

Spoiler: Anonymous responses to SSSS dating profiles • show

Reynir
Hi! I’m Reynir, tall with looooong red hair, green eyes. You can always spot me because of my freckles! (Get it, *spot* me?) Anyway, I love long walks on the beach under the palm trees – except that I’m not immune, so we can’t actually *go* to the beach, but I’d love it. I’m really easygoing and have a great sense of humour, and a good listener. I don’t actually have a job right now, but I can do anything, and I’m helpful around the house, and I’m a mage, too! I don’t know anything about sheep, so would not be suitable on a farm safe in Iceland. Call me!
!
Anonymous Response
I also enjoy very long walks, when you can hear Nature's music. Since the beach is part of Nature, I feel that I belong there too. We seem to have lots in common. I'm also not immune, and a mage. If you are such a good listener, I could tell you stories, and you can teach me what's "Humour". Will our eyes reflect the same stars? I want to find if you're the person in my dreams.

Mikkel
Male, immune, 193cm, good build, all my own hair and teeth, Dane. Resourceful, fine with cooking and housework. Looking for an independent type to be my partner in crime, ha ha. I like to travel. Strong preference for names starting with M.

Anonymous Response
Hi! I'm a tall redhead female, also all original and awesome. You seem to be the most best kind of man, someone that does what need to be done and is ready to dive into adventure. Want to find out if I'm your future partner in crime? I'll take the lead, just remember that I don't tolerate mutiny! My name does not start with M, but I guarantee that you won't care about that after meeting me.

Sigrun
I’m a Captain in the great Norwegian military, from a long line of generals! Great kill ratio (I’ve lost track, but it’s hundreds), fast knife work, good shot, can lay traps, not afraid to get in there and do what needs to be done, might even be you?! I can go all night, especially in the summertime. Can’t stand prissy people or sitting around. If you like to go hard, you should totally pick me!

Anonymous Response
Have been in the army, too, and had several missions along my life, never sitting around for much time, so perhaps we can travel together and do what needs to be done? Maybe I should pick you as my future partner in crime, ha ha. Does your name start with M?

Lalli
Not weird.

Anonymous Response
I'm not weird, just a nice-looking guy that enjoys the good, simple things in life, like a well-combed hair. How is yours? I don't know if you're telling that you are not weird, or if you want to meet someone that isn't, but whatever communication problems we may face, I'm sure we can work that out on a nice chat near the fire watching how beautifully it burns turning the logs into bright, crackling coals while felling the heat on our skins. Do you like kids?

Onni
When the forest is quiet, you can hear best. The sounds travels over the water. The music holds all things in its hands and gives it to the stars. I see the stars reflected in your eyes as my knees sink into the moss. Smokers okay.

Anonymous Response
Hi! I love natural things like sheep, trees (particularly palm trees) and stars! I'm a good listener, and maybe we can try to hear the forest together. I'm a helpful person, and would love to help you with whatever you like to do kneeling into the moss. Your message sounds like a dream, and I enjoy dreaming too (I can even walk on water there)! Maybe we could have some dreams together. Call me!!

Väinö
I hold an honoured and essential position as a skilled noita, ever vigilant against threats to Saimaa. But watching the frontier is lonely work, and the power of a thousand wings only goes so far on long winter nights. I can offer a secure home with breathtaking views. Immunes preferred.

Anonymous Response
I'm from Saimaa, and would love to have some company on the long winter nights, and also on the long summer days. I'm very curious and would surely enjoy learning many things from a wise noita. I have some experience with wings, and it's quite fun. Immunity is not a problem. Are you afraid of ghosts?

Emil
I come from a good and proud family. I am tidy, good-looking, well-presented, and appreciate someone with refined tastes like mine. Family is very important to me, and there’s nothing I like better than a comfortable home, with good food and a nice fire burning hot and bright and flickering with leaping tongues of flames charring the logs in the hearth to red-hot glowing coals. I also love kids.

Anonymous Response
Like family too. You sound weird, but maybe we try. Like cats?
Chapter break survivor: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:
Languages: :pt: :br: Capable: :gb: Can read and survive: :es: Knows a bit: :fr: :it:

proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

Grade E cat

• Ranger
  • Headcanon firing in 3... 2... 1...
  • Preferred pronouns: her
« Reply #3752 on: June 08, 2020, 03:09:10 PM »
Nice. Though the answer to Väinö's is a little weird to me personally because I have stub of a story somewhere in which I made him the grandfather of the female OC I roll out when I want to make Onni a father (and it's an AU where Tuuri lives on top of that).
« Last Edit: June 08, 2020, 03:11:04 PM by Grade E cat »
Native: :fr:
So much part of my life it might as well be native: :us:
Few and far between practice opportunities: :es:
A little learned during hardcore anime fan phase: :jp:
Only alternative to English in early junior high school: :de:

Do what cat. Lalli's way of life since age three.

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #3753 on: June 08, 2020, 07:00:47 PM »
Heee 'Anonymous' my foot.   >:D

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)

LilG

« Reply #3754 on: June 09, 2020, 12:47:08 PM »
not afraid to get in there and do what needs to be done, might even be you?! I can go all night, especially in the summertime. (...) If you like to go hard, you should totally pick me!

Well then, Sigrun seems pretty... eager to get it started, doesn’t she?

Anonymous Response
Have been in the army, too, and had several missions along my life, never sitting around for much time, so perhaps we can travel together and do what needs to be done? Maybe I should pick you as my future partner in crime, ha ha. Does your name start with M?

Thankfully, Mikk- er, I mean Mr./Mrs. anonymous is here to fulfill her “demands” ;)
Native :romania:
Fluent :uk:
Sucks at :france:

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #3755 on: June 09, 2020, 08:07:46 PM »
Well then, Sigrun seems pretty... eager to get it started, doesn’t she?

Sigrun can be fairly intimidating when she wants what she wants.  Better to get that out up front, no?

In other news, I published the second half of the Abide With Me story, I Triumph Still, if Thou Abide With Me.  This features pre-canon General Asbjørn & Lieutenant Sigrun and their squad encountering the troll.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2020, 08:10:31 PM by wavewright62 »

Grade E cat

• Ranger
  • Headcanon firing in 3... 2... 1...
  • Preferred pronouns: her
« Reply #3756 on: June 18, 2020, 07:07:13 AM »
And... hello partial reason I'm sticking to pinch hitter this chapter break:

True Ruler 11: Chrysalis
Native: :fr:
So much part of my life it might as well be native: :us:
Few and far between practice opportunities: :es:
A little learned during hardcore anime fan phase: :jp:
Only alternative to English in early junior high school: :de:

Do what cat. Lalli's way of life since age three.

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #3757 on: July 14, 2020, 07:56:53 AM »
I have just put up Chapter 5 of ‘Year 3: Very Far to the South’ on Archive of Our Own. Patsy works out what she is, and begins to realise just how much trouble the world is in. I am’Tanist’ over there.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #3758 on: July 14, 2020, 06:21:12 PM »

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #3759 on: July 14, 2020, 06:25:27 PM »
Also a fic recce for lwise2019 (dunno if they have a Forum identity?), who is writing some of the best Mikkel material I've ever clapped eyeballs on: https://archiveofourown.org/users/lwise2019/pseuds/lwise2019
You'll laugh, you'll cry, you'll see frogs fly.

Róisín

« Reply #3760 on: July 14, 2020, 09:12:20 PM »
Wavewright, thank you very much for that. I have never been able to make links! And I am glad you were able to do the same for Iwise! I really like their stuff, and their take on Mikkel is very much as I imagine him. Well worth reading.

midwestmutt

• Scout
« Reply #3761 on: July 16, 2020, 11:58:55 AM »
Also a fic recce for lwise2019 (dunno if they have a Forum identity?), who is writing some of the best Mikkel material I've ever clapped eyeballs on: https://archiveofourown.org/users/lwise2019/pseuds/lwise2019
You'll laugh, you'll cry, you'll see frogs fly.
I just finished binge reading this series. I give it a rating of Most Best. Seriously, check it out.
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :chap17: :chap18:

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #3762 on: July 20, 2020, 03:59:02 AM »
A bit of blowing of my own horn this time - I participated in the Multifandom Drabble exchange that's just been revealed, and I have written a bunch of treats for SSSS.  Drabbles are 100 words or exact multiples, so can be a little challenging to write, but they are like popcorn to read.  I'll just link, although if anyone has trouble seeing AO3, these are short enough to post here.
All of these are G-rated, and most of them are humourous, or at least attempt it.

Confrontation - Onni comes face-to-face with.... a suspense story.  Kinda.  Sorta.
Eyes of Owls - Onni again, in a post-canon story.  No prizes for guessing what my headcanon is.
Wednesday Hotakainen - a very silly crossover of the Prologue Hotakainens with the old Addams Family TV series.  There's a cartoon illustration as well.
A Likely Story - absolutely no Hotakainens in this one - a Madsen family vignette.
Spoiler: girl genius drabble • show

My actual assignment was a match on Girl Genius, so for completion's sake, instead of posting it by itself in the Forum Scriptorium thread, here is No Coffee For You - featuring Agatha, Zeetha, Violetta, and Krosp, eating breakfast.  Et cetera.  Probably not comprehensible if you don't know the characters and their history.

Róisín

« Reply #3763 on: July 20, 2020, 07:46:27 AM »
Love all of these!

ftmshepard

• slowing growing roots (more or less)
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him
« Reply #3764 on: July 22, 2020, 11:15:47 PM »
Brief question from a newbie: does canonical levels of violence/character death count as pg-13? If I'm writing a story where a human dies, should I link it instead?
know: :usa:/ :canada: || extremely familiar: :vaticancity: learning: :mexico: :brazil: ancient greek || know the alphabet: :southkorea: :russia: || wish I knew :finland: