Author Topic: The SSSS Scriptorium  (Read 780404 times)

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
Re: The SSSS Scriptorium
« Reply #3675 on: July 21, 2019, 05:21:24 PM »
I put up a new chapter of ‘Caring For A Friend’ last night. It went weird, wouldn’t post at first then posted multiple times. At present the situation is that the chapter is there twice. I’m not going to fiddle with it further lest I lose it entirely. Whether something is wrong with A3O or this is just my normal ineptness wth machineries I can’t say. Sorry.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #3676 on: July 21, 2019, 10:30:25 PM »
the link doesn’t work and I can’t seem to find the work on ao3?

'Tis fixed - thanks for the heads-up.
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

Róisín

« Reply #3677 on: July 21, 2019, 10:59:03 PM »
Wavewright, while I think of it: have you any idea of what I should do to sort out the double posting of that 6th chapter of ‘Caring For A Friend’? It wouldn’t post at first, then posted multiple times. I managed to delete some but not all of the duplicates. Help, please? I’m a bit useless at this.

Róisín

« Reply #3678 on: July 22, 2019, 04:56:04 AM »
I have had another go at deleting the extra chapter of ‘Caring For A Friend’, and it seems to have worked. Could I possibly ask some other person who uses Archive and has more technical expertise than do I to open it and see if it shows to them and has six chapters so far, as it is meant to have, ending with the scene of Reynir catching Onni as he falls? Thanks in anticipation!
Róisín (Tanist on A3O).

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #3679 on: July 22, 2019, 05:19:32 AM »
I have had another go at deleting the extra chapter of ‘Caring For A Friend’, and it seems to have worked. Could I possibly ask some other person who uses Archive and has more technical expertise than do I to open it and see if it shows to them and has six chapters so far, as it is meant to have, ending with the scene of Reynir catching Onni as he falls? Thanks in anticipation!
Róisín (Tanist on A3O).

It has 6 chapters, and does end that way. Now please excuse me, I need to go catch up on this story!

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)

Róisín

« Reply #3680 on: July 22, 2019, 05:21:36 AM »
Thank you, Wavewright!

Róisín

« Reply #3681 on: August 15, 2019, 11:25:02 PM »
New chapter of ‘Caring For a Friend’ is up on Archive of our Own.

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #3682 on: September 01, 2019, 02:43:23 AM »
This was not written specifically for the 5th anniversary celebration and has nothing to do with the celebration, but I wrote it on the 1st, so perhaps it counts.  This was written as a prompt from the Synchronised Screaming flash fiction group, responding to the prompt - actually, no, no spoilers.  Enjoy. Just Another Raid, Ho-Hummmm

Grade E cat

• Ranger
  • Headcanon firing in 3... 2... 1...
  • Preferred pronouns: her
« Reply #3683 on: September 14, 2019, 03:23:04 PM »
Took a couple months, but here we go...

True Ruler: Magda day: Morning
Native: :fr:
So much part of my life it might as well be native: :us:
Few and far between practice opportunities: :es:
A little learned during hardcore anime fan phase: :jp:
Only alternative to English in early junior high school: :de:

Do what cat. Lalli's way of life since age three.

Róisín

« Reply #3684 on: October 05, 2019, 08:43:55 AM »
Chapter Eight of ‘Caring For a Friend’ is up on Archive Of Our Own. I’m Tanist there.

Keep Looking

• Bragi
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her, they/them
« Reply #3685 on: October 10, 2019, 09:39:17 PM »
I just finished reading through pretty much the entire scriptorium (it’s been a few weeks), and I’ve thoroughly enjoyed all the great fics and oneshots. Particular favourites include Kiraly’s Hipster Band AU, the Emillalli fic where the rash wasn’t as bad and they live in the same apartment block, all of LooNEY’s AUs and the current fic with the dragons.

I have a few ideas for a fic tossing around in my head. Since I live in Western Australia which is pretty much the middle of nowhere (the ocean, the desert and the Nullarbor plain separate us from any other large settlements by thousands of kilometres) I have some interesting ideas as to how things would have gone here with the rash and such. I’m afraid I wouldn’t be able to do nearly enough justice to the aspects of Nyoongar lore and magic that would obviously come into play here in the south-west (Unlike Roisin, I am sadly lacking in my knowledge in a lot of these areas), but I might give my ideas a shot in the future.
I write poetry sometimes.

Icon by the amazing Rithalie from the SSSS discord (rithalie-art.tumblr.com)

Ruler of Changi Airport

Róisín

« Reply #3686 on: October 10, 2019, 09:55:17 PM »
EmilyRose, that sounds great. Please do write - the more the merrier! And if you do want lore from your part of the world and can’t find it out locally, I am happy to share the little I know. Most of that is from the Nyoongar areas, or from up around Broome, with bits and scraps from other parts of WA. Or I can ask a Nyoongar artist friend who now lives not far from here, because she moved to SA to be with her husband, who is part Perramangk, part Afghan, and lives on a farm in country SA.

LooNEY_DAC

• DeviantArt
« Reply #3687 on: October 27, 2019, 03:56:26 PM »
Hi. I’m sorry I haven’t updated any of my stuff for a long time, but I have one for you now.

Contingencies
A “Stand Still. Stay Silent”/“Terminator” crossover fanfic
Part 12
Complete Links to Complete Links post
Prior part
Spoiler: Signifying Nothing? • show
Before Year Zero, the firm of Brüel & Kjaer had been one of the Old Time’s leading firms in sonics; during the chaos of Year Zero, Skynet had appropriated its Naerum facilities in order to conduct its own sonic researches, as such researches required certain very specialized facilities that were not portable in any way, and Year Zero was ensuring that the facilities would not be duplicable without breaking Skynet’s cover. A similar rationale had led Skynet to appropriate the Brunson optics complex deep beneath Kansas City and several other locations with unique facilities across the globe.

Ironically, in most cases the specialized facilities also reduced the risk of detection or incursion by either the humans or the Transformed.

]System restart
]Begin quick self-check
]Quick self check OK
]Begin peripheral pingbacks
]Peripheral pingback 1 OK
]Peripheral pingback 2 OK
]Peripheral pingback 3 Fail
]Peripheral Set 3 Disconnected
]Peripheral pingback 4 OK
]LAN loopback Fail
]LAN Disconnected
]QuickBoot started
]L33TWorks(R) BIOS V 3.1.7 Loading ... Done
]Verifying sat uplink ... Done
]Skynet Branch 27 online

The necessity for restart after restart of the degraded systems at the Facility was decidedly sub-optimal, but not particularly surprising.

The (formerly Brüel & Kjaer) Facility now designated Skynet Branch 27 had seen heavy use in the first three decades after Year Zero, but with the humans remaining quiescent in their isolated enclaves, the Facility had been set to standby mode thereafter. Even the Kastrup incursion had not necessitated its restart, but that and everything else had been irrevocably altered by the events of the last hundred hours or so.

The Preventative Maintenance Module and the Systems Analysis Module had almost finished debugging their algorithm for anticipating what part of the Facility would need repairs next, but until then, the unexpected halts and restarts would continue as Skynet brought more and more of the Facility’s facilities back to full functionality.

The Augments were part of those facilities at the Facility; several of the modules in Skynet’s programming core were negatively inclined towards their reactivation and/or use, but Skynet had directed the Tactical Planning Module to run every scenario suggested by the other modules, and the results were highly favorable in all cases, so the Augments were included in the restoration process.

The Augments had spun out of the research being undertaken by the Facility, so that was where they had been secured from the beginning. Given the unprecedented durability of the Transformed, Skynet was almost certain that they had suffered less degradation than the Facility as a whole.

Given the lethality of the Transformed, the Augments should be more than capable of eliminating the intruders for Skynet regardless of how degraded their capabilities were; of course, prudence dictated that Skynet prepare other fail-safes for deployment.

The stranger had finally introduced himself, once they were all back together again, as Aku Västerström. He claimed to be Emil’s eldest son, having traveled back in time to assist them against their strange new foe. When all of them looked at him in that way people do when they’re assessing whether your insanity means you’re actively dangerous or just a hindrance, he told them his full name: Torbjörn Aukusti Lalli Emil. The sheer pomposity of the name went a long way towards convincing that he was a relative of Emil’s, at the very least.

Naturally, none of them believed him about the time travel stuff until he started telling them things that had just happened but that they hadn’t reported to anyone, like the way the Øresund bridge collapsed right as they were crossing it. These disclosures led them to agree to take him to Naerum, since that was more or less on their way anyway.

What they found in Naerum was much more convincing…

Spoiler: Authorial Notes • show
And the real fun begins in the next chapter, which won’t be nearly as late as this one is.

…And for all my talk below about excessive brevity, this chapter’s only 613 words long. *sigh*

AN ANNOUNCEMENT REGARDING FUTURE DEVELOPMENTS
For some time, I’ve been dissatisfied with my tendency to brevity and how it’s hampered some of my stories; it’s been a prime reason in why I haven’t posted any new SSSS stuff in quite some time. Therefore, now that I can write again (knock on wood), I’m going to write expanded versions of several of my stories and put them on AO3 under the title of “[Story Name] REDUX”; I’ll have them all in a collection called “LooNEY_DAC’s SSSS REDUX Works”.

As I finish the parts, I’ll post links to them here, and put a link to the post here in the comic page comments.

I will also resume updating as many of my WIPs as I can here, though I might not get to some for a while yet.

In short, I’ll probably be spamming the thread for a good stretch if all goes well.

The first story to receive the REDUX treatment will be…

The Expedition

LooNEY_DAC

• DeviantArt
« Reply #3688 on: October 28, 2019, 04:32:48 PM »
And here's the next part of the Expedition.

More soon.

LooNEY_DAC

• DeviantArt
« Reply #3689 on: October 30, 2019, 10:26:55 PM »
Numerology
A “Stand Still. Stay Silent” fanfic collection
Part 9
Complete Links to Complete Links post
Prior part
Spoiler: 8 O’Clock and All’s Well • show
Bornholm
Y87, Winter

In Mikkel Madsen’s view, the only good thing about how hard it was raining was that he wasn’t out in it. Aside from that, the rain only made standing watch worse, both by reducing the visibility down almost to the point where Mikkel could see clearly and by incentivizing anyone caught out in it to disregard all caution and run to the nearest shelter, unheeding of any warnings a sentry might shout at them.

Mikkel had protested against being put on watch, citing his known vision problems, but the Admiral would not budge. “EVERYONE ELSE STANDS WATCH IF THEY DID WHAT YOU DID, AND SO WILL YOU!”

Fortunately, a penal watch was, as the name implied, more for punishment than for any sort of actual security purposes. The worst that might happen would typically be if one of the higher ups tried to and succeeded in getting by Mikkel unobserved: Mikkel would then face a token period of stockade time, but no one else would get hurt. All Mikkel really needed to do was stay awake and at his post for another twelve hours or so, and everything would probably be fine.

Since this was Bornholm, they had managed to keep several old traditions alive that might have been fatal in the Cleansed Lands; one such was the crier who called out the hours as he made his rounds of the penal watch posts.

“8 o’clock and All’s Well!”

The call was sonorous and rather soporific; Mikkel had no doubt that over the years it had lured many in his same position to commit the worst possible offense: sleeping on watch. Whatever other flaws he possessed, Mikkel prided himself on never having fallen asleep when on watch.

One of the Grade A cats chased three small blue people wearing white pants and strange white hats across one of the more marginally sheltered parts of the yard; Mikkel ignored them, as he had the hookah-smoking caterpillar and the band of tambourine-wielding elephants. He definitely shouldn’t have made his own dinner before beginning the watch.

“Oh, hey, Mikkel! What are you doing out on a night like this?”

The words were in Icelandic, the voice young and curious but utterly unfamiliar. Mikkel deigned to examine this latest gastronomically induced apparition and saw a translucent blur topped with red; a smaller blur that had a canine feel to it stood beside the main blur. Something told Mikkel that the blur would happily chatter away at him whether or not he answered it, so he replied, “Oh, just standing watch.”

The blur snorted. “Someone put you on watch?”

For as much as Mikkel had protested against this duty, the suggestion that he wasn’t up to the task still rankled a bit. “It was supposed to be a punishment.”

“Ohhhhh,” the blur nodded sagely. “So who’s being punished by having you stand watch for them?”

Mikkel sighed heavily and looked at the sky. This was definitely going to be a long night.

“By the way, thanks again for letting me help with the camp chores today.” The blur seemed sincere enough, but Mikkel again had no idea to what it referred.

“8 o’clock and All’s Well!”

The blur contrived to look abashed. “Ooops. I gotta go. Bye!” And the blurs vanished, revealing a boy dressed in green floating perhaps a foot above the ground on the other side of the yard who was accompanied by a small yellow glow; the boy seemed to be looking for something.

Mikkel sighed heavily (again) and looked at the sky (also again). This was definitely going to be a long night…

Spoiler: Authorial Notes • show
Nothing to see here, folks. Just Mikkel and some… interesting… visitors…