Author Topic: The SSSS Scriptorium  (Read 787304 times)

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
Re: The SSSS Scriptorium
« Reply #3645 on: February 24, 2019, 01:32:52 AM »
Nellie, that is lovely, and seems likely.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Róisín

« Reply #3646 on: February 25, 2019, 02:29:45 AM »
Just put up a new chapter of 'A Few of Mikkel's Secrets' over on Archive of our Own, where I am Tanist. Warning for horror and gore, and finding out the identity of one of the people doing weird science out in the Silent World. Also elves.

Nellie McEnt

• Scout
    • DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: she/they/he/it
« Reply #3647 on: February 25, 2019, 02:30:03 PM »
Roísín!

I went to your A3O page to look for your latest fic, but the first thing I saw was called "Reynir Helps!" and who can resist a title like that?
Oh my holy Lalli, I loved it.
Now I'm going to go read all your other fanfiction, see you in a couple months!
Speaks: 🇺🇸/🇬🇧
Learning (and not particularly good at): 🇨🇳, Latin
carpe diem

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Róisín

« Reply #3648 on: February 25, 2019, 04:32:57 PM »
Thank you! Have fun.

Róisín

« Reply #3649 on: March 09, 2019, 01:48:17 AM »
Meant to say a day or so back: I have put up a third chapter of 'Year 3, Very Far to the South' over on Archive of Our Own'.

Grade E cat

• Ranger
  • Headcanon firing in 3... 2... 1...
  • Preferred pronouns: her
« Reply #3650 on: March 11, 2019, 05:09:48 PM »
Flash-back time for True Ruler, thanks to my brain utterly refusing to develop any other ideas I had for that chapter.

True Ruler: Memories
Native: :fr:
So much part of my life it might as well be native: :us:
Few and far between practice opportunities: :es:
A little learned during hardcore anime fan phase: :jp:
Only alternative to English in early junior high school: :de:

Do what cat. Lalli's way of life since age three.

Nellie McEnt

• Scout
    • DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: she/they/he/it
« Reply #3651 on: March 11, 2019, 10:43:01 PM »
I'm really looking forward to reading all of the fics posted in here lately!

Until I do that:
drops my own AO3 account in forum and runs away
https://archiveofourown.org/users/Nellie_McEnt/works
Speaks: 🇺🇸/🇬🇧
Learning (and not particularly good at): 🇨🇳, Latin
carpe diem

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Grade E cat

• Ranger
  • Headcanon firing in 3... 2... 1...
  • Preferred pronouns: her
« Reply #3652 on: March 20, 2019, 05:05:17 PM »
And "Three for the price of one" has an ending, if one that is a little rushed. Always satisfying to finish something, especially when something new may very well get started soon.

Three for the price of one: Chapter 12
Native: :fr:
So much part of my life it might as well be native: :us:
Few and far between practice opportunities: :es:
A little learned during hardcore anime fan phase: :jp:
Only alternative to English in early junior high school: :de:

Do what cat. Lalli's way of life since age three.

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #3653 on: March 29, 2019, 10:30:20 PM »
A drabble, written in response to a challenge from Windfighter, "'I hope I’m never stuck with you on a deserted island.' for the SSSS-crowd?"  Challenge accepted!

He never spoke much, even when there was someone who spoke his language.  He always seemed more than faintly disapproving of them all, and conspicuously kept more than an arm’s length from her in particular.
“You know, Lalli,” Sigrun remarked to the scout, “I hope I’m never stuck with you on a deserted island.”  He responded with his usual uncomprehending glare, but his eyes were glowing with faint blue magic.  Good, he was going to need more than that rat-sticker he kept on his hip, to deal with what they’d flushed out this time.
“Good thing this island isn’t deserted.”
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #3654 on: April 05, 2019, 05:27:04 PM »
Another drabble, Onni decides it's Time to Go:

Onni had been standing in the foyer of Reynir's home for some minutes, not actually looking at the scattered wet boots, but looking far away to where the birches' leaves were quaking and the gnats droned in his ear.

Why were there no gnats here? He'd been here all summer, and never noticed until now.

He was losing his focus in this pleasant place, and in his absence evil walked among the trees of his home. Now that he was sure Lalli would be protected, he could fly to his perch and scan the horizon, find his nemesis, and swoop.

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)

Windfighter

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Theologian of the Minnion Church
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #3655 on: April 05, 2019, 06:26:45 PM »
Wrote some words:

Spoiler: Can I have this dance? • show
The music was too loud, there were too many people, too many lights, too many smells, too much of everything. Lalli mrr'd, wondered for the 100th time that evening why he had agreed to go to the prom with Tuuri. It was torture. He sank down on a chair, as far away from the ruckus as possible and placed his hands over his ears, clenching his eyes shut. Tuuri was busy socializing with others anyway. Suddenly there was a weight placed over his head, the lights grew duller and the sounds muffled. He opened his eyes and saw two very blue eyes stare at him.
”Hey”, the eyes said. ”You looked overwhelmed. You okay?”
The sounds disappeared completely, there was only the eyes, the person they belonged to. He smelled like food, smoke and safety. Lalli blinked, felt like he should know the person but he didn't. Blond hair fell into the person's eyes but was quickly brushed away.
”I'm Emil”, the person continued. ”We're in the same grade.”
”...Lalli.”
”I know. Do you need to go outside?”
”Is fine now.”
Emil had hidden both of them under a blanket and Lalli tilted his head, looked at him. Most people thought he was a freak, but Emil seemed to understand. Lalli wasn't sure what to think.
”You're... nice”, Lalli stated.
Emil blinked, blushed and looked away.
”You've never shoved me into the lockers.”
”Why would I?”
Emil shrugged, but didn't look at Lalli.
”Most people do.”
They fell silent, Emil seemed uncertain, like he had said too much, and Lalli couldn't take his eyes off him, couldn't read him like he did most other people. The sounds were starting to come back, but he was calmer now. Another minute passed, then he tugged at the blanket, freed the two of them from it. He didn't know where Emil had gotten it from and let it fall to the floor. Emil blinked, looked at him again. One song ended, another begun and Emil stood up, bit his lower lip and offered Lalli a hand.
”Can I have this dance?”
Lalli looked at the hand, at Emil's face and back at the hand. Slowly he lifted his own and rested it in Emil's. He got to his feet, nodded. It was a slow song and Emil pulled him close, let him bury his face in Emil's neck. Emil's arms felt strong around him, protective, and he felt safer than he had done the whole evening.
He definately wanted to do this again.
Fluent: :sweden:
Decent: :uk:
Phrases: :spain: / :japan:
:book1+:

My stories frequently features themes such as death, suicide, mourning, etc; I cannot give precise warnings for each individual stories, as it would spoil the intrigues.

Anna

• Scout
    • Tumblr
  • A majestic circle cat
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #3656 on: April 06, 2019, 11:11:56 PM »
Wrote some words:

Spoiler: Can I have this dance? • show
The music was too loud, there were too many people, too many lights, too many smells, too much of everything. Lalli mrr'd, wondered for the 100th time that evening why he had agreed to go to the prom with Tuuri. It was torture. He sank down on a chair, as far away from the ruckus as possible and placed his hands over his ears, clenching his eyes shut. Tuuri was busy socializing with others anyway. Suddenly there was a weight placed over his head, the lights grew duller and the sounds muffled. He opened his eyes and saw two very blue eyes stare at him.
”Hey”, the eyes said. ”You looked overwhelmed. You okay?”
The sounds disappeared completely, there was only the eyes, the person they belonged to. He smelled like food, smoke and safety. Lalli blinked, felt like he should know the person but he didn't. Blond hair fell into the person's eyes but was quickly brushed away.
”I'm Emil”, the person continued. ”We're in the same grade.”
”...Lalli.”
”I know. Do you need to go outside?”
”Is fine now.”
Emil had hidden both of them under a blanket and Lalli tilted his head, looked at him. Most people thought he was a freak, but Emil seemed to understand. Lalli wasn't sure what to think.
”You're... nice”, Lalli stated.
Emil blinked, blushed and looked away.
”You've never shoved me into the lockers.”
”Why would I?”
Emil shrugged, but didn't look at Lalli.
”Most people do.”
They fell silent, Emil seemed uncertain, like he had said too much, and Lalli couldn't take his eyes off him, couldn't read him like he did most other people. The sounds were starting to come back, but he was calmer now. Another minute passed, then he tugged at the blanket, freed the two of them from it. He didn't know where Emil had gotten it from and let it fall to the floor. Emil blinked, looked at him again. One song ended, another begun and Emil stood up, bit his lower lip and offered Lalli a hand.
”Can I have this dance?”
Lalli looked at the hand, at Emil's face and back at the hand. Slowly he lifted his own and rested it in Emil's. He got to his feet, nodded. It was a slow song and Emil pulled him close, let him bury his face in Emil's neck. Emil's arms felt strong around him, protective, and he felt safer than he had done the whole evening.
He definately wanted to do this again.

Those are some nice words!
:chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21:
:A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:
:book2::book3::book4:

And remember what peace there may be in silence.

Oripoke

• Tumblr
« Reply #3657 on: April 11, 2019, 07:00:15 PM »
So I suppose I'll spill the beans a bit.

I'm working on a fanfic. It's an AU story that features dragons.
This bit is the prologue. There aren't any recognizable characters at the moment, although the setting may seem familiar...
Chapter 1 will introduce some of the characters we all know and love, though :)

I'm planning to publish updates on my Ao3, but for now, enjoy this little teaser:

Spoiler: Prologue • show

Silence surrounds the military outpost at Keuruu, the soldiers stationed there having long since retreated to bed in their barracks. A single pinprick of light flickers between the densely packed trees in the forest, the last embers of that evening's bonfire simmering down to a low glow. The night hangs, undisturbed and silent, without even a slim crescent moon to banish the shadows.

In this darkness, muffled wingbeats trouble the still air. A dark shape, silhouetted against the stars, glides sinuously through the sky. The cold breeze of the upper atmosphere ruffles the fur on its back. It searches the land below with eyes that glow with a kindled light within. Spying its target, it draws its wings in close to its body and pulls into a dive, aiming for that tiny speck of light among the trees.

As it hurtles towards the ground, it extends its wings just before it hits the earth to abruptly slow its descent. The shockwave from its wingbeats rustles the tops of trees and extinguishes the last of the fire. A few of the Keuruu soldiers turn over in their beds, troubled by a peculiar dream.
The creature alights on the roof of the tallest cabin. Its claws cut into the thatch roof and its tail wraps around the sides of the building. The slit pupils in its glowing eyes widen as it searches through the darkness, using just the stars for light. It scans the camp, the soft and deep bellow of its breath the only sound in the still night.

The creature's eyes train upwards. A flagpole stands above the Keuruu gate, the flags hanging limp with no wind. With one flap of its wings, a breeze whooshes through the camp and unfurls the flag of the Kingdom of Scania.

Its pupils narrow to slits and the rumbling in its chest grows louder. Its mouth opens, lips curled back in a snarl, and a bright light begins to glow at the back of its throat. There is a soft click and then white-hot flames fountain out of the creature's mouth, striking the flag atop the pole and immolating it instantly. The creature snorts, spewing embers from its nostrils, and then spits another concentrated blast of fire onto a boat moored at the docks. With a flap of its wings, it takes to the skies again, spewing flames even as it propels itself into the air, igniting the roof of the building it had previously stood.

Now shouts start to emanate from the barracks and people begin spilling out. Fingers point to the silver-grey shape of the creature that hovers above, lit by the flames below.

"Dragon!" one soldier screams.

"Shoot it down!" orders another.

A crossbow bolt sails over the dragon's shoulder, just missing its wing as it swoops down low over the camp for a second pass. A line of fire burns in its wake as it scorches the ground beneath.

One soldier hurls a spear in its direction and manages to put a nick in its flank, drawing blood. The dragon pulls into the air sharply and circles overhead, swiftly weaving between each projectile as it continues its fiery onslaught.

More and more soldiers begin running to the docks, dredging up buckets of water to use in putting out the fires that tear through the camp, hungrily devouring all in their path.

The dragon pivots in midair to face the soldiers in the camp down below. Flames gather between its jaws as it expels a massive fireball, which falls like a meteor from the sky, colliding with the armory and setting everything within it ablaze.

Then, with another thunderous clap of wings, the dragon launches itself upwards, far beyond the treetops and out of range of the soldiers' bows. It propels itself up, up into the wispy clouds and out of sight, leaving only the screaming, smoldering chaos of Keuruu behind.

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #3658 on: April 12, 2019, 07:35:59 PM »
That's very promising, Oripoke.  Scania? Hmmm.  A dragon with fur, able to live in the cold, also intriguing. Do go on.

Oripoke

• Tumblr
« Reply #3659 on: April 15, 2019, 12:16:55 PM »
Thanks for your comment! I've written a whole lot more since then, actually. This story is kinda taking over my life at the moment.

I've gone ahead published Chapter 1 on Archive of Our Own. You can click on that link to read it, if you're interested.

Here's a quick snapshot:

Title: when there's fire in my woods it burns me and nobody else
Genre: Fantasy, Adventure, Alternate Universe
Pairing(s): Emil/Lalli (very minor. primarily not a romance.)
Tags: Dragons, Medieval era, Swords, Prophetic Dreams, Gratuitous Overuse of Fire Metaphors
Plot Summary/Synopsis: "Emil is a Cleanser, a knight that specializes in the eradication of monsters in the name of the King. He is deployed to the remote outpost of Keuruu to address the problem they are having with a dragon that has appeared nearby. There, he encounters several strange characters, particularly a mysterious young man who keeps appearing in his dreams. In his quest to slay his target, Emil begins to learn that some things are not what they seem, and that dragons may be more than mere beasts..."
« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 12:49:26 AM by Oripoke »