Author Topic: The SSSS Scriptorium  (Read 778348 times)

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
Re: The SSSS Scriptorium
« Reply #3495 on: November 24, 2017, 04:43:22 AM »
Hmmm, not really a double post if there's a gap of a few days, right?
First WIP clearance of the weekend, tick - I bring a new story for the letter S in the Alphabet Challenge, entitled "Static."
http://archiveofourown.org/works/12811851
It's a look at what was going on back at Mora HQ during the events of pages 740-750, and is told from Siv's POV.
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

Grade E cat

• Ranger
  • Headcanon firing in 3... 2... 1...
  • Preferred pronouns: her
« Reply #3496 on: November 25, 2017, 04:19:31 PM »
Prompt fics continue. Looks like I have an elaborate headcanon about Frida Eide now.

Early-bird contact
Native: :fr:
So much part of my life it might as well be native: :us:
Few and far between practice opportunities: :es:
A little learned during hardcore anime fan phase: :jp:
Only alternative to English in early junior high school: :de:

Do what cat. Lalli's way of life since age three.

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #3497 on: November 26, 2017, 03:34:06 AM »
Yuss, WIP III of the weekend, tick!  (WIP II was my entry for the Advent Calendar, which now is also done!  *pats self on back*)
This stands for the letter T in the SSSS Alphabet Challenge, and is a self-indulgent expansion of the family legend told by my self-insert SSSSona Helle-Mai.  It's called 'Tädi Katri and the Troll.'
http://archiveofourown.org/works/12830346

It's been a good weekend.
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

LooNEY_DAC

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #3498 on: November 27, 2017, 05:30:37 AM »
Get ready...

Juster Quick Trip
A “Stand Still. Stay Silent”/“The Phantom Tollbooth” crossover fanfic
Part 1
Complete Links to Complete Links post
Spoiler: Lalligagging Around • show
Well, this wasn’t helpful at all.

Emil put his hands on his hips in frustration as the emu-sized bird that called itself “the Ever-Present Word-Snatcher” continued to evade the questions he was asking of it. They were running out of time.

Emil and his friends, Lalli the Watch-Finn and Mikkel the Humbug, had to get through the desolate Mountains of Ignorance and to the Castle in the Air, where the twin princesses of Rhyme and Reason resided in their exile. This bird before them might just be able to tell them the best way to get through the mountains without encountering the various Demons lurking there, but it stubbornly refused to assist them.

At first, Mikkel had tried to beat the bird at its own game, the two of them trading homonyms in a pun duel that had outlasted Mikkel’s voice. Now, he stood still and stayed silent as Emil wrangled with the deliberately mis-interpretive bird, while Lalli simply glowered at it.

“Stupid weird bird,” Lalli mumbled.

Unfortunately the bird heard him. “I’ve never stoop-ed to your level of burred rudeness, to be sure.”

There was no telling how long this would have continued had not a fairly sizable hardbound volume suddenly impacted the back of Lalli’s head, coming seemingly out of nowhere. “Ow!” he said, rubbing the point of impact. “What’s this?”

Emil read the lettering on the volume’s spine. “Roget’s Thesaurus.” He looked at Lalli. “It’s a book of synonyms with which we can fight this homonym-happy bird!” So saying, he grabbed the book and brandished it at the bird.

“But where did that thing come from?” Lalli asked in bewilderment. As a Watch-Finn, it was part of his remit to be aware of everything in his surroundings at all times, so he knew better than any of them that no one was around to have chucked the book at him.

“It was those horrible FANS!” the bird shrieked. “They got it to you even through the fourth wall!”

Lalli looked at Emil. Emil looked at Lalli. Both shrugged, then Emil returned to brandishing the book at the bird. “Tell us how, in what manner or by which road, track, path, way or route we can reach, come to or arrive at our goal, endpoint or destination: the Castle in the Air.”

The bird writhed all over, hopping up and down like mad, but finally yielded. “Follow the road and you’ll get to a stairway that will take you to the Castle.” With one final bound, the bird took to the air, weeping now. “I hate that book!”

As it flew away, Emil cried out, scarcely knowing why, “Wait!” He had let the book fall, but the bird still fled across the mountains.

“Seventy-eight pounds!” came the reply, and then the bird was gone. Emil frowned. By its own admission, the bird was only “barely a Nuisance”, and not a true Demon at all; how much worse would tangling with a full-fledged Demon be?

Emil, Lalli and Mikkel got back into their little red automobile and started back down the road, not knowing that they’d come across the real Demons soon enough…

Spoiler: Authorial Notes • show
So here’s yet another WIP for me to string out waaaaaaaay past its sell-by date.

*sigh*

Lazy8

• DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: Name only
« Reply #3499 on: November 27, 2017, 06:41:18 AM »
Aaaaaah you actually did it! *snicker*

Are you going by "Juster Quick Trip" for the title or "Lalligagging Around"?
:usa: native
:spain: comes back in an emergency
:vaticancity: rusty
:china: can usually manage to order food
:norway: can hold a basic conversation

:chap5: | :book2: | :book3: | :chap17: :chap18:

LooNEY_DAC

• DeviantArt
« Reply #3500 on: November 27, 2017, 06:50:54 AM »
Aaaaaah you actually did it! *snicker*

Are you going by "Juster Quick Trip" for the title or "Lalligagging Around"?
Juster Quick Trip, as there will be other parts.

LooNEY_DAC

• DeviantArt
« Reply #3501 on: November 28, 2017, 06:12:27 AM »
Speaking of other parts...

The Eide Traveling Mercenaries, Er, Players
A “Stand Still. Stay Silent”/Napoleonic Wars AU fanfic
Part 2
Complete Links to Complete Links post
Prior part
Spoiler: Goa Their Way • show
Tuuri was still frowning down thunderously at the blank sheets in front of her when Sigrun went by the office area; this caught the troupe leader’s attention, as it was unlike Tuuri to fuss over something for any length of time. “What’s up, Fuzzy-Head? What’s got that frown on your face?”

Tuuri half-growled, half-sighed, rubbing the back of her neck in frustration. “I wanted to write a new play for us to perform when we get back to Europe, but I’m… well, I’m just… y’know, stuck! I can write a letter in Tamil, a proclamation in Russian, a fatwa in Arabic, or a quatrain in French, Swedish, English or Finnish off the top of my head, but I can’t work out how to start a brand-new play for us, even though I’ve been adapting other people’s plays for our troupe since forever! It’s just so… maddening!”

“Well, ‘when in doubt, add an adjective’, y’know?” Sigrun quoted in an attempt to be helpful.

Tuuri shot Sigrun a Look. “I can’t add an adjective when I haven’t even put the first sentence down yet,” she pointed out in the tone of forced patience people use when they’re trying to explain something that their listener can’t quite understand.

Sigrun didn’t let it bother her. “Well, why don’t you start with something easy, like, ‘It was a dark and stormy night’?”

“Have you been reading my Minerva Press novels again?” Tuuri asked suspiciously. “Besides, plays don’t start out like that.” She sighed heavily. “I’m not even sure what this play should be about, now!”

“Well,” Sigrun said thoughtfully, looking off into the distance, “why don’t you make it about one of our adventures, like our latest trip through the subcontinent?”

Tuuri looked appalled. “I can’t! It would blow our cover!”

Sigrun dismissed that worry with an airy wave of one hand. “Naaaaaaah. Just change the names and dates and put in some silly stuff like… I don’t know… maybe a dragon coming to the rescue in the last battle or something. Just throw in something to tell the audience ‘this is just a show’ and our cover will be fine.”

“Nobody’ll like the size of their parts,” Tuuri groused, but Sigrun could see a glint of inspiration start in her eyes. “Especially Emil.”

“Just give him a noble and dramatic death scene and he’ll be fine with whatever else you throw at him,” Sigrun advised.

“And where should I even start?” Tuuri asked. “Should I go back to when we got the job, or pick up when we landed in Goa, or what?”

“Well, you could start with…”

Lalli emptied his stomach over the side of the wharf while Emil watched on in helpless concern. Now that they were back on dry land, Lalli would have some relief from his pervasive sea-sickness that always proved such a problem for them on these trips.

“You want me to open on Lalli puking his guts up? Why?”

“Well, it gets the audience’s sympathies aroused, so they care about him.” Sigrun leaned in and said in a confidential voice, “You know, your cousin isn’t the easiest guy in the world to get along with, and that’s a problem in a play.”

Tuuri giggled, as Sigrun had intended.

“It also sets up the Emil-Lalli relationship,” Sigrun continued, “which is always important when you have something of such portent.”

“Your point,” Tuuri acknowledged.

“Anyway, if you start there, you can go on with…”

Mikkel handed Emil a canteen. “Here. Help him clean up.” He gestured at the wretched form of the retching Finn.

Emil looked at the canteen dubiously. “It’s just water, right?”

Mikkel rolled his eyes. “Even I know that this is not the time for such things, Emil,” he told the younger man.

“MIKKEL! GET OVER HERE BEFORE I SMASH THIS IDIOT’S STUPID FACE IN!”

Mikkel rolled his eyes again and started off in the direction of the bellicose bellow…

Spoiler: Authorial Notes • show
Oh, how meta this is.

But it’s also the start of something that I hope you’ll like.

Róisín

• Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #3502 on: November 28, 2017, 06:50:59 AM »
Looks promising!
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Lazy8

• DeviantArt
« Reply #3503 on: December 01, 2017, 07:18:04 AM »
Index has been updated, and surprisingly painlessly considering my wireless and the fact that I just modified the program. New feature shows authors' active dates!

Gaemmel

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
« Reply #3504 on: December 01, 2017, 02:12:10 PM »
Thanks for all the amazing work you're doing with the index, Lazy8!
I think you might have forgotten "Despite the cold", which I published on the 12th of november (but didn't announce here, because it's NSFW).
I'm the left one on the picture.

Fluent: :germany: :uk:
In school I had: :france: :spain:
Some words and phrases: :japan:
Learning: :sweden:

:chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21:

Windfighter

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Theologian of the Minnion Church
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #3505 on: December 01, 2017, 03:45:44 PM »
I think you might have forgotten "Despite the cold", which I published on the 12th of november (but didn't announce here, because it's NSFW).

From the fanfiction index-thread:
What you can expect not to find: anything NSFW. If someone wants to repeat this venture on the NSFW board, go right ahead, but I'm not on that board and don't want to link explicit stuff here.
Fluent: :sweden:
Decent: :uk:
Phrases: :spain: / :japan:
:book1+:

My stories frequently features themes such as death, suicide, mourning, etc; I cannot give precise warnings for each individual stories, as it would spoil the intrigues.

Gaemmel

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
« Reply #3506 on: December 01, 2017, 03:51:36 PM »
Oh, okay, sorry :(
I'm the left one on the picture.

Fluent: :germany: :uk:
In school I had: :france: :spain:
Some words and phrases: :japan:
Learning: :sweden:

:chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21:

Lazy8

• DeviantArt
« Reply #3507 on: December 01, 2017, 09:33:55 PM »
Windy's right: I can't link to explicit stuff on the main board index as per forum rules.

Grade E cat

• Ranger
« Reply #3508 on: December 02, 2017, 04:53:41 AM »
Had a funny idea for the reunion of the two groups.

The oblivious messenger

Grade E cat

• Ranger
« Reply #3509 on: December 06, 2017, 03:22:24 PM »
Sorry for the double post, hope it's okay after four days. A new prompt fic is ready. An element of the Second chances / Somewhere, somehow AU that I didn't get around mentioning in those stories wrestled itself into this one.

Uncertain future