Author Topic: The SSSS Scriptorium  (Read 780361 times)

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
Re: The SSSS Scriptorium
« Reply #3465 on: November 11, 2017, 06:25:13 PM »
And here's more updates of stuff nobody wanted to read!

Bits and Bots
A “Stand Still. Stay Silent”/“WALL-E” crossover fanfic
Part 3
Complete Links to Complete Links post
Prior part
Spoiler: Wascally Wobots • show
There had been no warning of what was about to happen, but LALL-E somehow had known anyway. Even as EM-L attempted to defend itself, it registered and recorded that fact for future analysis, assuming it survived to analyze anything.

)Opponent designation:
Gargantuan
Intermingled
Assembly of
Networked
Technology

The very sight of the GIANT was horrible to a bot like EM-L, even though EM-L was immune to the cRash virus that had created it. The GIANT was a hideous, seemingly purposeless amalgamation of bots and random junk thrown together as though by a WALL-R gone mad; but its randomness was only a charade, quickly cast aside once the GIANT turned its attention to potential prey. A GIANT was optimized for one purpose: destruction of any bots unwary enough to come within its range.

Now, EM-L and LALL-E were both in this GIANT’s range, and EM-L’s ammo was dangerously low again…

EM-L had logged into the comm system so that it could give a better, more comprehensive and conclusive report on the GREMLINs, and had decided to see if it could find out a little more about the additional facilities TUUR-E had implied that both LALL-E and REYN-R possessed.

}Available data on extended capacities of units designated REYN-R and LALL-E:
Program:
Military
Assistant
Generic
Improvement
Capability

Type I:
N - [CLASSIFIED]
O - [CLASSIFIED]
I - [CLASSIFIED]
T - [CLASSIFIED]
A - [CLASSIFIED]

Type II:
S - [CLASSIFIED]
E - [CLASSIFIED]
I - [CLASSIFIED]
D - [CLASSIFIED]
U - [CLASSIFIED]
R - [CLASSIFIED]

EM-L was confused. Was the system reacting to EM-L’s old level of access from when EM-L was a simple nursery bot? If not, why would the system still say EM-L’s access level was too low to unmask the data when EM-L obviously had a need to know at least the very basics of what this MAGIC was and how it would affect LALL-E and REYN-R?

]DON’T LET IT GET YOU DOWN, EM-L! EID-E’s “voice” was almost at OLS-N intensity. ]SO WHAT IF SOME DATA-PUSHER THINKS YOU DON’T HAVE THE STUFF? THEY NEVER DO, EVEN IF THE EVIDENCE IS SHOVED IN THEIR OPTICAL DETECTION ARRAY!

)Do you possess any relevant information on this… MAGIC stuff?

]NAAAAH. I’VE WORKED WITH A FEW UNITS IN THE PROGRAM, AND SEEN SOME INTERESTING STUFF, BUT ALL I KNOW IS WHAT MY SENSORS RECORDED AND WHAT I COULD DEDUCE FROM THAT. I SUGGEST THAT YOU KEEP YOUR SENSORS ACTIVE AND YOUR WRITE-PROTECT OFF.

The advice seemed sensible enough, though EM-L wasn’t sure it needed to remove the write-protect from all of its files.

EM-L was facing permanent cessation of function, and was most unhappy. It was also quite distressed at the thought that LALL-E would join it in permanent cessation of function as well. EM-L wondered briefly if shutting down its optical array would make the overall deactivation less unpleasant, but decided it would not; thus, EM-L witnessed what happened next.

LALL-E unfolded like an origami creation, exposing some oddly humped emitter that activated with a loud BUZZZZZZZ. EM-L’s sensors could detect no emissions, but the effect upon the GIANT was sudden and enormous. In almost no time (1.3751 +/-0.0107 x 10^27 planck units, according to EM-L’s internal clock), the GIANT lost all cohesion and interconnectivity, raining down on EM-L and LALL-E as disparate components which were deflected by a different emission from the emitter.

As soon as the shower of parts stopped, LALL-E folded itself back into a familiar form—but EM-L was horrified anew to realize that LALL-E was now in the form that it used when it needed to recharge…

Spoiler: Authorial Notes • show
So, after nine-ish months of being blocked on this, it’s back.

Hopefully, you’ll enjoy what’s coming.

Hey, I for one am very happy to see this back. 
I love casual mention of the planck measurement.  Do their encrypted character sets not include the eth (Ð) character, though, for use in the word seiður? The extended character set may not be available to models from this range.
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

LooNEY_DAC

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #3466 on: November 11, 2017, 07:21:24 PM »
Do their encrypted character sets not include the eth (Ð) character, though, for use in the word seiður? The extended character set may not be available to models from this range.
That information is classified.

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #3467 on: November 11, 2017, 10:57:09 PM »
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Lazy8

• DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: Name only
« Reply #3468 on: November 12, 2017, 07:39:55 AM »
One... more... to... go...

The Yacht Club

:usa: native
:spain: comes back in an emergency
:vaticancity: rusty
:china: can usually manage to order food
:norway: can hold a basic conversation

:chap5: | :book2: | :book3: | :chap17: :chap18:

Windfighter

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Theologian of the Minnion Church
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #3469 on: November 12, 2017, 10:51:06 AM »
Started a new story, inspired by this prompt:
"Imagine everyone in the world has wings and once someone touches their soulmate, the wings fly them both upwards and change colors from white to a perfect mix their eye colors."
My hope is that all chapters will be short and tame enough to be able to post in here, so have the first chapter!

The wings of an angel
Spoiler: Chapter 1 • show

Lalli's wings

Lalli didn't like his wings. To begin with they were small, the same size as people who had lost their soulmate, and couldn't carry him. And since they couldn't carry him they were just in the way instead. They got caught in branches when he climed trees, wanting to get up high like everyone else could. And while most people his age had already found their soulmate and gotten their colourful wings, his was still bright white. Truthfully though, he didn't mind that. He didn't mind being alone. He just wished he could have met his soulmate once before they died.
   ”Lalli, come on down from there!”
   Lalli let out a sigh and climbed down the tree. When his cousin called it was always best to get there quickly, or else she might drag him into something. She was beaming when he got down, her eyes bright. Her wings had already got their colours. A beautiful mix of gray, violet and green and Lalli couldn't stand looking at them. She had left a year earlier to work in a foreign country and came home with her new wings.
   ”I found some more people with white wings, you should meet them!”
   ”It's no use.”
   Lalli stretched his tiny wings as much as he could, so she could understand that there wasn't any need for her to continue like this. He would never meet his soulmate. She waved him off, grabbed his arm and pulled him along. He let her lead him, but none of the people were the one.
Fluent: :sweden:
Decent: :uk:
Phrases: :spain: / :japan:
:book1+:

My stories frequently features themes such as death, suicide, mourning, etc; I cannot give precise warnings for each individual stories, as it would spoil the intrigues.

Grade E cat

• Ranger
  • Headcanon firing in 3... 2... 1...
  • Preferred pronouns: her
« Reply #3470 on: November 12, 2017, 10:53:23 AM »
That thing went through plenty of bumps, including having been in the middle of a form of "development hell" when a certain canon event happened. If anything, I managed to make my plot idea work and finished the one-shot. I re-titled the story and changed the summary because I thought I might as well make all one-shots I write for this Medieval AU part of the same story.

Woodlanders
« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 10:55:32 AM by Grade E cat »
Native: :fr:
So much part of my life it might as well be native: :us:
Few and far between practice opportunities: :es:
A little learned during hardcore anime fan phase: :jp:
Only alternative to English in early junior high school: :de:

Do what cat. Lalli's way of life since age three.

Windfighter

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #3471 on: November 12, 2017, 12:33:39 PM »
The wings of an angel

Warning: Character death. But he got better. So I guess not actually character death.

Spoiler: Chapter 2 • show

Emil's Wings
   Emil had been declared dead. His family's house had caught fire hen he was young and he had been caught in it. When they finally managed to put the fire out Emil wasn't breathing, his heart wasn't beating. He had lost his wings, his body was badly burned, and as a result the medics declared him dead. Because he was.
   And then he had started breathing again. He had spent weeks in the hospital. And when he got back home he refused to go outside.
   His burns had healed now, the scars had disappeared. His wings hadn't grown back, they never would. Emil missed them. He missed being able to fly, to soar from treetop to treetop, watch the animals run far below him. He missed being able to play tag with his friends, or just being able to get anywhere. Because their village was high in the mountains and their house placed where you couldn't go by foot.
   ”I'm heading out, you want to come along?”
   Emil let out a sigh, pushed himself off the bed and left his room. He looked at his mother, at her beautiful wings which shifted in two shades of blue. He looked away and leaned against the wall.
   ”Your wings can't carry two grown people.”
   ”Should I invite someone over? I saw a girl with white wings in the store yesterday.”
   ”Mom, it's... it's okay.”
   ”It'd do you good to meet some people, honey.”
   ”Perhaps”, Emil pushed her towards the door, ”but it's okay. I can't do things they can anyway.”
   ”If you say so.”
   She kissed his head before throwing herself over the edge of the cliff. Emil watched as her wings caught the air and lifted her towards the sky. If only he could fly like that as well...

Spoiler: Chapter 3 • show

Leaving the forest
   Lalli knew he'd never meet his soulmate. And he was fine with it. His cousins less so. He had been forced to shake hands with everyone in the village, with everyone who came to visit the village. Even hiding inside his house didn't help, they would always find him. Hiding in the woods didn't help either, because they had figured out which trees he liked to climb. There was only one thing he could do.
   He put some clothes in a bag, as well as some bread and an axe. His knife was already attatched to his belt. He swung the bag over his shoulder and peeked outside. Neither Tuuri nor Onni were visible and he hurried across the open village, dove into the forest and slid down a slope. He rolled in under a bush and got his wings stuck in its branches.
   ”Stupid useless things.”
   For a second he considered chopping them off, but he couldn't. He wriggled his body a little, got his wings unstuck and crawled further into the bush. Hours went past and his body was feeling cold, but eventually darkness fell. He looked at what little sky he could see through the leaves, noticed the stars. Nighttime. Everyone should be asleep. He crawled back out, waited quietly.
   Nothing. He started moving, passed his favorite trees and kept going until he reached the river. There was a fallen log close to it and he took out his axe, started working on shaping it. He had done it before, since his wings had grown small when he was still young he had learned how to make boats instead, had spent lots of time going up and down the river and discovering their forest from the ground. He had seen sights the others would never see since they stayed in the air outside of the village.
   Sun was breaking through when he was done with the small canoe. He pushed it into the river, threw the bag in it and then jumped into it himself. A long stick served as paddle and he steered the canoe away from the village. He would miss it, would miss his cousins, but this was the only thing he could do. After an hour the trees thinned out around him and he lifted one of his hands, waved towards the forest and the village.
   ”Goodbye Tuuri, Onni. I'll see you again some time.”
« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 01:13:43 PM by Windfighter »

My stories frequently features themes such as death, suicide, mourning, etc; I cannot give precise warnings for each individual stories, as it would spoil the intrigues.

Anna

• Scout
    • Tumblr
  • A majestic circle cat
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #3472 on: November 12, 2017, 03:30:54 PM »
The wings of an angel

Warning: Character death. But he got better. So I guess not actually character death.

Spoiler: Chapter 2 • show

Emil's Wings
   Emil had been declared dead. His family's house had caught fire hen he was young and he had been caught in it. When they finally managed to put the fire out Emil wasn't breathing, his heart wasn't beating. He had lost his wings, his body was badly burned, and as a result the medics declared him dead. Because he was.
   And then he had started breathing again. He had spent weeks in the hospital. And when he got back home he refused to go outside.
   His burns had healed now, the scars had disappeared. His wings hadn't grown back, they never would. Emil missed them. He missed being able to fly, to soar from treetop to treetop, watch the animals run far below him. He missed being able to play tag with his friends, or just being able to get anywhere. Because their village was high in the mountains and their house placed where you couldn't go by foot.
   ”I'm heading out, you want to come along?”
   Emil let out a sigh, pushed himself off the bed and left his room. He looked at his mother, at her beautiful wings which shifted in two shades of blue. He looked away and leaned against the wall.
   ”Your wings can't carry two grown people.”
   ”Should I invite someone over? I saw a girl with white wings in the store yesterday.”
   ”Mom, it's... it's okay.”
   ”It'd do you good to meet some people, honey.”
   ”Perhaps”, Emil pushed her towards the door, ”but it's okay. I can't do things they can anyway.”
   ”If you say so.”
   She kissed his head before throwing herself over the edge of the cliff. Emil watched as her wings caught the air and lifted her towards the sky. If only he could fly like that as well...

Spoiler: Chapter 3 • show

Leaving the forest
   Lalli knew he'd never meet his soulmate. And he was fine with it. His cousins less so. He had been forced to shake hands with everyone in the village, with everyone who came to visit the village. Even hiding inside his house didn't help, they would always find him. Hiding in the woods didn't help either, because they had figured out which trees he liked to climb. There was only one thing he could do.
   He put some clothes in a bag, as well as some bread and an axe. His knife was already attatched to his belt. He swung the bag over his shoulder and peeked outside. Neither Tuuri nor Onni were visible and he hurried across the open village, dove into the forest and slid down a slope. He rolled in under a bush and got his wings stuck in its branches.
   ”Stupid useless things.”
   For a second he considered chopping them off, but he couldn't. He wriggled his body a little, got his wings unstuck and crawled further into the bush. Hours went past and his body was feeling cold, but eventually darkness fell. He looked at what little sky he could see through the leaves, noticed the stars. Nighttime. Everyone should be asleep. He crawled back out, waited quietly.
   Nothing. He started moving, passed his favorite trees and kept going until he reached the river. There was a fallen log close to it and he took out his axe, started working on shaping it. He had done it before, since his wings had grown small when he was still young he had learned how to make boats instead, had spent lots of time going up and down the river and discovering their forest from the ground. He had seen sights the others would never see since they stayed in the air outside of the village.
   Sun was breaking through when he was done with the small canoe. He pushed it into the river, threw the bag in it and then jumped into it himself. A long stick served as paddle and he steered the canoe away from the village. He would miss it, would miss his cousins, but this was the only thing he could do. After an hour the trees thinned out around him and he lifted one of his hands, waved towards the forest and the village.
   ”Goodbye Tuuri, Onni. I'll see you again some time.”

Temporary Character Death might be a more succinct way to put it.
:chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21:
:A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:
:book2::book3::book4:

And remember what peace there may be in silence.

Windfighter

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #3473 on: November 12, 2017, 08:34:24 PM »
Temporary Character Death might be a more succinct way to put it.

aww, gosh blast it. That's it. I officially give up on warnings again. I never learn, I still don't understand them, people laugh at my attempts at warnings and I'm still way too confused about them! I'll keep using those you can check off on ao3 of course (Temporary Character Death is not one of those) but outside of that I give up *flops frustratedly*

And since I'm writing a post, have another chapter!

The wings of an angel
Spoiler: Chapter 4 • show

Leaving the mountain
   ”It'd do you good to meet some people.”
   Emil's mother was right, of course. And he wanted to meet people, it wasn't that. It was the stares they gave him, the whispers behind his back, the giggles when they looked at him. He couldn't stand that. He put some clothes in a bag, put it outside the house. His mother and father would be gone for another few hours, but he needed to hurry. He glanced over the edge of the cliff, gulped. It was pretty far down.
   He went back into the house, gathered all curtains and bedsheets and tied them into a long rope. It wouldn't reach all the way down, but close enough.
   ”I'm sorry, mom.”
   He tied the rope around a pole, threw it over the edge and looked at the house again. He'd miss it, but his mother was right. He couldn't spend his whole life holed up in there. He let out a sigh, grabbed the rope and started the climb down. It didn't take long until his arms started aching, his legs started aching. Part of him wanted to give up, but he didn't have the strenght to pull himself back up. The only way was down.
   It hadn't been an hour, but it felt like ten. There was no more rope and a three meter drop. Bushes grew right by the mountain wall, maybe he could land in one of those. He let his bag fall first, missed the bush with half a meter and then he closed his eyes and let go of the rope.
   His arm scraped against the rock as he fell, branches snapped under his weight and then he stopped falling. His body hurt, blood ran down his arm, but he survived and the wound was superficial. He looked up again.
   ”What have I done?”
   He didn't have a plan, didn't know where to go or what to do. He grabbed his bag, let out a sigh. He really only had one option now – to continue. He glanced at the mountain that had been his home for almost 20 years, lifted a hand and turned his back towards it. He didn't know what he was looking for, but he'd return when he had found it.

Keeper

• Ranger
  • Child of the Sun
« Reply #3474 on: November 12, 2017, 09:01:08 PM »
Windy, I am loving this. <3
:chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :book3: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :book4:

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04:

Mark my words, it's not quite what you thought.

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #3475 on: November 12, 2017, 09:42:08 PM »
Interesting story, Windy. I'm curious to see where you take it.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

LooNEY_DAC

• DeviantArt
« Reply #3476 on: November 13, 2017, 03:14:00 AM »
So, in case you haven't figured it out yet, I'm updating all of my WIPs before moving on to any new stuff that might be percolating through my LooNEY brain. That said...

The Red Herring League
A “Stand Still. Stay Silent”/Superhero AU fanfic
Part 11
Prior part
Spoiler: Mish-Mash Lalli Dash • show
Looking back on it, Sigrun “the Red Terror” Eide was rather glad that she really was invulnerable when “Super Tuuri” Hotakainen broke the Red Herring League out of the illusions into which they’d been shunted, as Emil “the Firework” Västerström was just the slightest bit… over-exuberant… in his response; this was completely understandable, of course, considering that the illusion he’d been locked into had him fighting to reignite himself against impossibly effective fire suppressors. It wasn’t as though anyone on their side needed that troll-ridden city block for anything, after all, and Sigrun herself liked a fire bath every so often, as it tended to clear her pores.

Fortunately for those of the League who weren’t invulnerable, Lalli “Phantom Strike” Hotakainen had been able to speed them all back to the League’s trusty HQ vehicle, their Field Expeditionary Light INfantry OPerations Excursion DEvice (or FELINOPEDE), before they could get caught up in the inferno. Reynir “the Helper” Árnason had been so euphoric in his realization that it had just been yet another illusion that he’d almost managed to catch Lalli in a hug; though Lalli had been able to substitute Mikkel “the Grave Dane” Madsen in the nick of time, the near miss had been jarring.

After this, of course, they’d all split up to try to get over what had just happened in their own ways.

Super Tuuri felt a sharp, cold shiver run down her spine. Somewhere on some other level of reality, another Tuuri Hotakainen—who might not even be named such, but was still Tuuri—had just died.

Super Tuuri had known about the vast complexities of the multiverse for as long as she’d had her powers; she knew, therefore, that among the infinity of other realities, there were many where Tuuri Hotakainen was already dead, was about to die, or was in the middle of dying (whether quickly or slowly), but that knowledge didn’t make the fact that Super Tuuri could feel when each and every one of them finally took the Birds’ Path any easier.

At least this one had gone of her own volition when the Illness had manifested itself in her; a few, a very few but very horrible times, Super Tuuri had had to take action to release another Tuuri who had become trapped as a result of her own denial.

But how would the Lalli and the Onni of that world hold up under this blow?

Super Tuuri sighed and acknowledged that she would probably never discover how her counterpart’s relations would fare in their bereavement.

“Miu!” With a pop of displaced air, a calico ball of fluff appeared at Super Tuuri’s chest level. Fortunately, the young Hero had good enough reflexes to catch the kitten before disaster could strike, cuddling the feline against her with a longer, deeper sigh that was yet half sob. Kitty always knew when her humans needed cuddling.

Emil was playing with the furballs again. This rather annoyed Lalli, as he himself barely tolerated the pesky things, though he admitted they made good allies against the grosslings; they were nearly as good as the cats in that regard. Even so, ever since the sparkly gold furballs had first buried Lalli and Emil in a cooing mass of affection that nearly suffocated the two of them, Lalli had attempted to ensure that the incident would never be repeated.

And did Emil really have to look like he was enjoying himself so much?

Having finished off a few burnt-out troll nests to work the kinks out, the Red Terror was ready to face the greatest challenge of her day: dealing with Mikkel in one of his Graver moods. She’d briefly contemplated having Reynir Help her, if only to try to negate as much of Mikkel’s gloom with his cheeriness as was possible, but decided against it, as the two of them needed to talk about certain things which needed to remain between the two of them—for now, at least.

“So, Mikkel,” she started off casually, “what do your bosses in The Circle say?”

The Circle. Everyone had heard of it, but what everyone had heard was always different from person to person. It was the most secret of spy organizations. It was just a stupid social club with delusions of their own power and influence. It was a legitimate advisory body with no real authority but plenty of moral authority. It was half legend, half truth, and nobody knew for sure which was which. Supposedly, the Nordic Council was the top of the Known World’s hierarchy, but The Circle seemed to float outside of that hierarchy.

Agents of The Circle were said to be under orders to kill anyone who found them out.

Sigrun could see that Mikkel had contemplated denying her “accusation” for a moment; instead, he shrugged and said, “I’ve missed my last few contacts because of our recent… entanglements, so I’m not sure.” He looked Sigrun directly in the eyes, his own opened almost to their full extent for once. “Certainly, they have been as anxious to ascertain just exactly who is trying to thwart our mission and why as the six of us.”

Sigrun relaxed slightly. “I figured as much.”

That out of the way, the conversation moved to their current dilemma…

Oh, look. Mikkel’s a spy. What a surprise. /mikkel

Hopefully, though, this was enjoyable despite the cliches.

Talimee

• Scout
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #3477 on: November 13, 2017, 05:45:24 AM »
Have something new and shiny and worldbuild-y from me! =)

Title: Discoveries at the End of the World
Summary: Decisions and Discoveries are made when a Norwegian whaler and an Icelandic patrol boat meet in the North Sea
Characters: various named and unnamed Ocs
Rating: general audiences
Setting: pre-canon, the late 30's, Iceland is still in isolation, the North Sea, Navy-headquarters in Reykjavík
Tags: worldbuilding, working from prompts, flashfics
Prompts: Any Norwegian Character(s) - this sea-beast is an Icelandic ship; Any Icelandic Character(s) - the end of the isolation policy
[22:31] <@amity> And they care about only two things: Emil/Lalli fanfic, and chewing bubblegum.
[22:31] <@amity> And the word is, they're all out of bubblegum.

Survived:
:chap5::chap6::chap7: :chap20:
:chap8::chap9::chap10:
:chap11::chap12::chap13:
:chap14::chap15::chap16:
:chap17::chap18::chap19:

Anna

• Scout
    • Tumblr
  • A majestic circle cat
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #3478 on: November 13, 2017, 07:24:57 AM »
aww, gosh blast it. That's it. I officially give up on warnings again. I never learn, I still don't understand them, people laugh at my attempts at warnings and I'm still way too confused about them! I'll keep using those you can check off on ao3 of course (Temporary Character Death is not one of those) but outside of that I give up *flops frustratedly*

And since I'm writing a post, have another chapter!

The wings of an angel
Spoiler: Chapter 4 • show

Leaving the mountain
   ”It'd do you good to meet some people.”
   Emil's mother was right, of course. And he wanted to meet people, it wasn't that. It was the stares they gave him, the whispers behind his back, the giggles when they looked at him. He couldn't stand that. He put some clothes in a bag, put it outside the house. His mother and father would be gone for another few hours, but he needed to hurry. He glanced over the edge of the cliff, gulped. It was pretty far down.
   He went back into the house, gathered all curtains and bedsheets and tied them into a long rope. It wouldn't reach all the way down, but close enough.
   ”I'm sorry, mom.”
   He tied the rope around a pole, threw it over the edge and looked at the house again. He'd miss it, but his mother was right. He couldn't spend his whole life holed up in there. He let out a sigh, grabbed the rope and started the climb down. It didn't take long until his arms started aching, his legs started aching. Part of him wanted to give up, but he didn't have the strenght to pull himself back up. The only way was down.
   It hadn't been an hour, but it felt like ten. There was no more rope and a three meter drop. Bushes grew right by the mountain wall, maybe he could land in one of those. He let his bag fall first, missed the bush with half a meter and then he closed his eyes and let go of the rope.
   His arm scraped against the rock as he fell, branches snapped under his weight and then he stopped falling. His body hurt, blood ran down his arm, but he survived and the wound was superficial. He looked up again.
   ”What have I done?”
   He didn't have a plan, didn't know where to go or what to do. He grabbed his bag, let out a sigh. He really only had one option now – to continue. He glanced at the mountain that had been his home for almost 20 years, lifted a hand and turned his back towards it. He didn't know what he was looking for, but he'd return when he had found it.

Ah, crap, I didn’t mean to discourage you! You’re doing great on your own; I need to remember to double-check my phrasing for possible unintentional meanness.
:chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21:
:A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:
:book2::book3::book4:

And remember what peace there may be in silence.

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #3479 on: November 13, 2017, 02:40:14 PM »
So, in case you haven't figured it out yet, I'm updating all of my WIPs before moving on to any new stuff that might be percolating through my LooNEY brain. That said...

The Red Herring League
A “Stand Still. Stay Silent”/Superhero AU fanfic
Part 11
Prior part
Spoiler: Mish-Mash Lalli Dash • show
Looking back on it, Sigrun “the Red Terror” Eide was rather glad that she really was invulnerable when “Super Tuuri” Hotakainen broke the Red Herring League out of the illusions into which they’d been shunted, as Emil “the Firework” Västerström was just the slightest bit… over-exuberant… in his response; this was completely understandable, of course, considering that the illusion he’d been locked into had him fighting to reignite himself against impossibly effective fire suppressors. It wasn’t as though anyone on their side needed that troll-ridden city block for anything, after all, and Sigrun herself liked a fire bath every so often, as it tended to clear her pores.

Fortunately for those of the League who weren’t invulnerable, Lalli “Phantom Strike” Hotakainen had been able to speed them all back to the League’s trusty HQ vehicle, their Field Expeditionary Light INfantry OPerations Excursion DEvice (or FELINOPEDE), before they could get caught up in the inferno. Reynir “the Helper” Árnason had been so euphoric in his realization that it had just been yet another illusion that he’d almost managed to catch Lalli in a hug; though Lalli had been able to substitute Mikkel “the Grave Dane” Madsen in the nick of time, the near miss had been jarring.

After this, of course, they’d all split up to try to get over what had just happened in their own ways.

Super Tuuri felt a sharp, cold shiver run down her spine. Somewhere on some other level of reality, another Tuuri Hotakainen—who might not even be named such, but was still Tuuri—had just died.

Super Tuuri had known about the vast complexities of the multiverse for as long as she’d had her powers; she knew, therefore, that among the infinity of other realities, there were many where Tuuri Hotakainen was already dead, was about to die, or was in the middle of dying (whether quickly or slowly), but that knowledge didn’t make the fact that Super Tuuri could feel when each and every one of them finally took the Birds’ Path any easier.

At least this one had gone of her own volition when the Illness had manifested itself in her; a few, a very few but very horrible times, Super Tuuri had had to take action to release another Tuuri who had become trapped as a result of her own denial.

But how would the Lalli and the Onni of that world hold up under this blow?

Super Tuuri sighed and acknowledged that she would probably never discover how her counterpart’s relations would fare in their bereavement.

“Miu!” With a pop of displaced air, a calico ball of fluff appeared at Super Tuuri’s chest level. Fortunately, the young Hero had good enough reflexes to catch the kitten before disaster could strike, cuddling the feline against her with a longer, deeper sigh that was yet half sob. Kitty always knew when her humans needed cuddling.

Emil was playing with the furballs again. This rather annoyed Lalli, as he himself barely tolerated the pesky things, though he admitted they made good allies against the grosslings; they were nearly as good as the cats in that regard. Even so, ever since the sparkly gold furballs had first buried Lalli and Emil in a cooing mass of affection that nearly suffocated the two of them, Lalli had attempted to ensure that the incident would never be repeated.

And did Emil really have to look like he was enjoying himself so much?

Having finished off a few burnt-out troll nests to work the kinks out, the Red Terror was ready to face the greatest challenge of her day: dealing with Mikkel in one of his Graver moods. She’d briefly contemplated having Reynir Help her, if only to try to negate as much of Mikkel’s gloom with his cheeriness as was possible, but decided against it, as the two of them needed to talk about certain things which needed to remain between the two of them—for now, at least.

“So, Mikkel,” she started off casually, “what do your bosses in The Circle say?”

The Circle. Everyone had heard of it, but what everyone had heard was always different from person to person. It was the most secret of spy organizations. It was just a stupid social club with delusions of their own power and influence. It was a legitimate advisory body with no real authority but plenty of moral authority. It was half legend, half truth, and nobody knew for sure which was which. Supposedly, the Nordic Council was the top of the Known World’s hierarchy, but The Circle seemed to float outside of that hierarchy.

Agents of The Circle were said to be under orders to kill anyone who found them out.

Sigrun could see that Mikkel had contemplated denying her “accusation” for a moment; instead, he shrugged and said, “I’ve missed my last few contacts because of our recent… entanglements, so I’m not sure.” He looked Sigrun directly in the eyes, his own opened almost to their full extent for once. “Certainly, they have been as anxious to ascertain just exactly who is trying to thwart our mission and why as the six of us.”

Sigrun relaxed slightly. “I figured as much.”

That out of the way, the conversation moved to their current dilemma…

Oh, look. Mikkel’s a spy. What a surprise. /mikkel

Hopefully, though, this was enjoyable despite the cliches.

Sometimes a cliche is exactly what's needed, although I wouldn't say this piece is quite as riddled with them as you think.  Also, you have a way with an acronym, for sure.  Fun.
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior