Author Topic: The SSSS Scriptorium  (Read 780103 times)

LooNEY_DAC

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • DeviantArt
Re: The SSSS Scriptorium
« Reply #3360 on: September 19, 2017, 07:58:08 AM »
Alphabet Soup
A “Stand Still. Stay Silent” fanfic collection
Series 1, Part 17
Complete Links to Complete Links post
Spoiler: A Quiet Place • show
It had been four days since the Dalahästen wreck, days full of close calls, quick escapes and bitter disappointments; not the least of these was the sight of the Baggen flying by, all unheeding of the six refugees desperately in need of their notice.

They were still following the Sveavägen line’s tracks, since these were the best and most direct route to get where they were going, and had the advantage of being swept on a regular basis, which both lowered the risk of grossling encounters and raised their chances of getting rescued, though not to a certainty, as the recent Baggen incident demonstrated. They would have to be more careful next time.

The cats had been life-savers many times over; cute little furry life-savers with rather snooty attitudes toward those they kept having to save, but life-savers nonetheless. Emil thought they were keeping score amongst themselves of their kill and rescue counts, but since they were cats, he couldn’t be sure—though he also suspected that Lalli might be able to tell him.

Of course, that presupposed that he and Lalli would be able to speak with each other at all, something their pell-mell hustle along the tracks while the sun gave them cover tended to preclude. The ever-growing cold shielded their campsites during the nights, but the foreshortened spans of daylight meant their travels had to be swifter than most of them were comfortable with; even Emil had had trouble keeping up the pace a time or two.

The best part had been when they got to watch Sigrun run down a deer, which she claimed was the self-same one that had escaped her on that first day: not only had Sigrun’s performance been a true spectacle; not only was there meat for dinner; but Sigrun had been winded enough by the chase to let them take it easier for the rest of the day’s march, which meant marching instead of jogging and marching.

They had reached a charmingly pastoral section of the track line; the whole area was deceptively peaceful. Unfortunately, the only structures Lalli had found were either too far out of their way, nest traps, or otherwise unsuitable for the little band to take shelter in them tonight. Desperate times called for desperate measures, though, so nightfall found them huddled in a tumble-down shell of some tiny outbuilding, their only protection from the elements a few blankets scavenged from the house in which they’d spent the first night of this journey.

Tuuri and Reynir passed out within seconds of snuggling into the sleeping pile, and Mikkel followed soon after. Emil had the first watch again, which was good, as he was ready to swear he wouldn’t be able to get even a wink of sleep in this horribly exposed campsite. Ola stayed up with him, as did Sigrun, but the two humans and the cat were too aware of their potential peril to make any noises, so Emil’s watch passed in silence.

The moon was very bright, but there was no noise at all from outside, which lent everything a dreamlike quality. Emil kept his eyes on Lalli and the cats until Sigrun put a hand onto his shoulder, signaling that his watch was done. Now Emil had to try to sleep…

Spoiler: Authorial Notes • show
More “trying to reach Mora”!

…I swear, all these titles were cooked up months before Tuuri died.

Lazy8

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: Name only
« Reply #3361 on: September 19, 2017, 08:15:09 AM »
Looney, is that the sequel to something else?

Pff, I've been writing the whole time, you people just don't see it because I don't post here any longer ;) Still nice to the thread moving by those of you who do post here! ♥
or maybe I don't count as people
*goes back into hiding*

Don't be silly, of course you count as people! I'm just not indexing you any longer, that's all.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 08:19:04 AM by Lazy8 »
:usa: native
:spain: comes back in an emergency
:vaticancity: rusty
:china: can usually manage to order food
:norway: can hold a basic conversation

:chap5: | :book2: | :book3: | :chap17: :chap18:

LooNEY_DAC

• DeviantArt
« Reply #3362 on: September 19, 2017, 03:17:59 PM »
Looney, is that the sequel to something else?
"Into the Silent World" and "The Jitters", in order.

Lazy8

• DeviantArt
« Reply #3363 on: September 19, 2017, 07:20:55 PM »
"Into the Silent World" and "The Jitters", in order.

Thanks!

Lazy8

• DeviantArt
« Reply #3364 on: September 20, 2017, 09:13:21 AM »
Dirty double poster makes a dirty double post.

The Last Unicorn

LooNEY_DAC

• DeviantArt
« Reply #3365 on: September 23, 2017, 06:50:06 PM »
And now I risk the sobriquet of "copycat". *Sigh*

Alphabet Soup
Series 2, Part 17
Spoiler: Quests Old and New • show
None of the Six Sojourners were happy with the Blue Wizard; not Sigrun of the Haladin Guard; not Mikkel Foundling Son of Man; not Lalli and Tuuri Pesky-Door, two Hobbits now very far from the Shire and (of rather more importance to them) a good meal; not Emil Dúnduin, who was wondering how he could redeem his family honor if none of his countrymen ever knew of his valor; not even Reynir Half-Elven, far and away the most easy-going of them. They had passed the Eastern Sea, the Sea of Rhûn, and yet gone on into lands either legendary to them or utterly beyond their ken.

After their escape from the Caves of Otherworldly Regrets on the far shores of the Sea of Rhûn and during their subsequent trek through the Last Desert (which Tuuri and Lalli had believed a myth) on the way to the ruins of the Red Mountains and where the Lands of Awakening had been, they had had to fight off a group of really odd magicians bearing a peculiar and sinister snake sigil who made words in various odd scripts appear in the air whenever someone spoke. Aside from that, defeating them was fairly easy; certainly much easier than fighting off the intermittent dragon attacks that had plagued them from the beginning.

The Blue Wizard had actually winced in shame when these magicians had first attacked, and had disclosed afterwards, “I am ashamed to admit that they are a corrupt offshoot of the teachings I and my fellows attempted to plant in these lands; once we discovered their corruption, we moved to limit the damage they could do by twisting their knowledge into near-uselessness.”

Notwithstanding their successful passage out of the desert into a region of great fertility and verdure, the Six were still not happy with the Blue Wizard, for it was beginning to seem that they were on a journey with no end at all. Indeed, the next time the Blue Wizard went off on his own, there were strong suggestions that the Six simply start for home immediately; Sigrun and Emil refused to countenance them, and the matter was tabled.

The Six had become accustomed to the Blue Wizard vanishing for upwards of a week; so when he returned scarcely a day later, none of them bothered to hide their astonishment. The Blue Wizard was, however, too upset at what he had found to notice their surprise.

“The situation is worse than I had expected, and by far, though not irretrievably so,” the Blue Wizard declared solemnly. “We shall have to plan our attacks and counter-attacks at once.”

The Six reacted to this non sequitur as might be expected: bewildered silence. It had not escaped their attention that sometimes the Blue Wizard assumed that he had told them (or that they somehow knew) things he had never once mentioned; the best way to deal with this was to disabuse him of that errant assumption at the outset. Thus it was that Sigrun told him, “None of us has the faintest clue as to what you’re babbling about.”

The Blue Wizard looked carefully at each of the others around him. Once thus convinced that Sigrun spoke only the truth, he expostulated, “I brought the six of you here in order that you might win a war. This war is between the good folk of the village of Marambaraparatharamda and the evil Lord of the Great Burgh of Kyankanamarakanan, who covets it.”

“And this ‘war’ can be decided by the addition of six warriors?” Sigrun asked skeptically.

“The village itself has perhaps two score souls in residence,” the Blue Wizard replied. “The evil Lord can muster perhaps three score warriors for this fight. Now, this war I’ve brought you into might not seem of any great moment to you, but for those you would be defending, this is of the uttermost moment. Nothing in their lives has been of more importance.” He turned away from the group. “Now, you must make your choice: will you come to the aid of the weak against the strong, or shall you simply make your way homeward, leaving them to their doom?”

The Six Sojourners looked at each other doubtfully, the silence after the Blue Wizard’s question lingering for quite some time as they each pondered the matter…

More Tolkien! (Even though it’ll look copy-cattish, when this has been in the works for weeks. Dagnabbit.)

Hopefully, my utterly made-up names aren’t obscenities in some language known to other Minnions.

Oh, and the magicians are a really bad joke of mine: instead of mastering subtilties, they’ve mastered subtitles.

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #3366 on: September 23, 2017, 07:50:16 PM »
Subtitles.....LooNEY! But I'm still curious to see what happens next.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

LooNEY_DAC

• DeviantArt
« Reply #3367 on: September 24, 2017, 07:20:38 PM »
Alphabet Soup
Series 3, Part 17
Spoiler: The Quick and the Bed • show
Emil Västerström had been a hired grenadier for longer than he wished to remember, but never had he run into such a dilemma as this.

Normally, a hired gun had colleagues rather than friends, since today’s ally could be tomorrow’s enemy, but Lalli had always been different. Ostensibly, they couldn’t have been more different: an explosives man and a knife fighter; a hothead and a cool customer. The similes and analogies went on and on, but somehow… none of it had mattered, nor did it matter now.

Thus was born Emil’s dilemma: Emil and Lalli were friends; Emil could no more kill Lalli than he could have killed himself. But Emil had pledged his honor to wipe out the farmstead; while others might turn craven or coldly renege on their commitments, to do either was as impossible for Emil… as it would be for him to kill Lalli.

If it were anyone else, Emil could call a quick truce, meet them in no man’s land, shake hands, go back to his side, and fulfill his commitment.

What could he do?

Lalli was torn in a way he’d never been before. Tuuri (and, by extension, Reynir) was family; there was no way he could let her and hers die.

Equally, there was no way Lalli could ever kill Emil.

Lalli had had to kill acquaintances before, of course; it was a hazard of his profession, and had been handled in a “nothing-personal-just-doing-my-job” way by both parties.

There was no way Lalli could ever kill Emil. Even the thought of having to mercy kill Emil twisted Lalli’s guts.

What could he do?

The siege let up at dawn; according to Tuuri and Reynir, it always did. Lalli’s stomach roiled regardless, for he knew that sunset would bring the moment of truth.

As soon as he decently could after breakfast, Lalli slipped away to the room he’d been given, eschewing the narrow bed for the floor beneath it, as was his wont. His lips twitched in an embryonic smile as he recalled all the times he’d slept beneath Emil’s bunk; Emil had a soft, buzzing snore that actually settled Lalli’s nerves, rather than jangling on them as most snores did.

Perhaps in a better world, Lalli and Emil and Tuuri and even Reynir could have gone gallivanting off on caper after caper; but they had to live in this world, not any other.

The doc who’d patched up Emil’s boss had sent an unpleasant tingle down Emil’s spine; Emil’s parents would have said, “Someone just walked over your grave”. Perhaps that “someone” had been Lalli.

Lalli. Emil still couldn’t figure a way out of his dilemma: his current boss wasn’t the kind to let any of his men walk away from a job, even if Emil could bring himself to ask to be released.

Back in his hotel room, Emil absently played with a few matches, hoping the little flames would send him to sleep. Not being a complete fool, his colleagues’ opinion of him notwithstanding, Emil held the lit matches out over a tin basin half filled with water, so that when he dropped the burnt-down match, it was harmlessly extinguished. Eventually, Emil’s eyes closed.

Emil coughed and coughed as he watched the hotel burn. Everyone was telling him how lucky he was to have escaped the conflagration, but Emil paid them no heed; his attention was caught by what he saw in the flames.

Emil could swear he saw a man standing in the middle of the inferno, laughing…

More exclamation points—um, more Western! Though not part of “The Good, the Bad, and the Bestial” (the next bit of that is still in the works); this follows “Have Pukko, Will Travel”.

…And this is still an “&”, not a “/”, OK?

Gaemmel

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #3368 on: September 26, 2017, 03:54:57 AM »
After another long period of nothing, I managed my entry for the letter F in the song challenge! (I'm awfully slow.)

It's exactly what you'd usually expect from me :D

http://archiveofourown.org/works/9629999/chapters/27685185
I'm the left one on the picture.

Fluent: :germany: :uk:
In school I had: :france: :spain:
Some words and phrases: :japan:
Learning: :sweden:

:chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21:

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #3369 on: September 28, 2017, 05:50:12 AM »
I have finished a crack opus, named 'Stranded,'  by posting the Epilogue today.  http://archiveofourown.org/works/6610714/chapters/27729420
Gadzooks.
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

LooNEY_DAC

• DeviantArt
« Reply #3370 on: September 29, 2017, 02:26:41 AM »
...And with this, I hit the 2/3 mark.

Alphabet Soup
Series 1, Part 18
Spoiler: A Restful Ride • show
The steady thud-thud-thud of the horse’s hooves over the soft turf made for a soothing background to Emil’s turbulent thoughts. The field he was letting the horse canter through was wide enough that a grossling encounter was unlikely at best, so his mental distraction wasn’t likely to endanger either himself or the horse.

Reynir had done Emil a great favor, and so should be repaid in some fashion; but Emil hadn’t the least notion of how best to repay the gangly Icelander, just as Reynir himself had no notion that he’d done Emil a favor.

When they had fled the Jyväskylä Exclusion, they had left the horses wherever Lalli had led them for safekeeping before the onslaught had begun. They had only realized this long after the fact, what with everything else that had been going on, and most of them had agreed that there was nothing to be done; the only ones not to agree were the unconscious Lalli and the idealistic (and newly fledged mage) Reynir, who had set his mind to using his powers to bring the horses to them.

To everyone’s surprise, Reynir had succeeded, and without bringing a horde of grosslings in the horses’ wake. Moreover, when the horses had finally caught up with them (shortly after they’d finally turned from the road marked “604” to one marked “23”), the equine duo had brought with them some intangible thing that had knocked Lalli back to wakefulness. So while Emil was stuck caring for the horses again, he wasn’t about to complain, and he owed something to Reynir as well.

Since none of them knew whether the horses were immune or not and considering their extensive absence, Sigrun had insisted that Emil put them in a sort of pseudo-quarantine, sequestering them from Tuuri and Reynir and keeping a close watch on them for any signs or symptoms: this was to last either until two weeks had gone by or until they reached Keuruu, whichever came first; once they made it to Keuruu, they would all go into quarantine regardless.

Tuuri and Reynir were plotting some way around this prohibition, of course, but Emil took keeping the non-immunes alive rather seriously. He wished he could talk it over with Lalli, but their schedules continued to overlap only briefly, since Lalli still needed to scout out their route every night for traps like the one they’d almost stumbled into while following the road marked “607”.

They should be less than a week out from Keuruu’s outposts; every morning, Emil expected Lalli to return with news that he’d made contact with one, though that had yet to occur. Emil wasn’t really sure how he felt about reaching Keuruu: on the one hand, it meant safety for them all at last; on the other, it meant the six of them would inevitably split up, as only Tuuri and Lalli had places in Keuruu. Sigrun, Emil and Reynir would return to their units in their home countries, while Mikkel had spoken of returning to his family farm for a rest (and to let whoever had “volunteered” him on their original mission cool down).

It was most unlikely the six of them would ever see each other, which saddened Emil. It also reminded him that he had a looming deadline by which he needed to repay Reynir…

This follows “Deus Ex Mikkeli”, “The Easy Way”, “Keep Driving!” and “The Night Is Long and Dangerous”, but isn’t nearly the end of it.

Buteo

• Ranger
« Reply #3371 on: September 29, 2017, 02:55:38 AM »
...but isn’t nearly the end of it.

I'm very glad to hear that!

Lazy8

• DeviantArt
« Reply #3372 on: September 29, 2017, 09:07:04 AM »
*jumps on the CoH crossover bandwagon*

Here, have some crack!

(Also, halfway through the final third of the challenge, yaaaaaaay!)

The Massacre

Lazy8

• DeviantArt
« Reply #3373 on: October 01, 2017, 09:46:46 AM »
...the stupid index is updated in spite of my stupid wireless not cooperating.

(Also, holy crap, the Scriptorium got bumped to the second page?? We need to get writing, pronto!)

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #3374 on: October 01, 2017, 06:37:09 PM »
...the stupid index is updated in spite of my stupid wireless not cooperating.

(Also, holy crap, the Scriptorium got bumped to the second page?? We need to get writing, pronto!)
}hugs{ for wireless difficulties.  I should be finally able to finish the Q story I put on hold a few weeks ago, but this month it's mostly going to be about drawing. (Not that it really matters.)
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior