Author Topic: The SSSS Scriptorium  (Read 779971 times)

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
Re: The SSSS Scriptorium
« Reply #3345 on: September 16, 2017, 03:11:47 AM »
No one else is writing, and this makes me sad.

The Knife

I am writing, but not *finishing* - not yet anyway.  Parenthetically, I console you on the loss of Cassini.
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

LooNEY_DAC

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #3346 on: September 16, 2017, 05:18:07 AM »
I am writing, but not *finishing* - not yet anyway.
*Grumble grumble*
Ditto.
*Grumble grumble*

LooNEY_DAC

• DeviantArt
« Reply #3347 on: September 16, 2017, 06:38:14 AM »
Oh, look. I finished something.

Alphabet Soup
A “Stand Still. Stay Silent” fanfic collection
Series 3, Part 16
Complete Links to Complete Links post
Spoiler: The Poets Will Sing of It • show
Finding Sigrun took quite a bit longer than the others had expected, as she had squirreled herself away in a tiny little hidey-hole near where she’d washed ashore, but they did find her in the end. Of course, Emil had had to risk life and limb in order to wake her so that they could get her back to their rather pitiful little camp, but he got through it more or less unscathed.

Once all of them were safely ensconced back in camp, Mikkel drew Emil aside, as the big Dane had something he wished to show the young Swede. Mikkel had worked up a burning-glass as a rude fire-starting device, and he wanted Emil well away from the camp when the firebug saw it, lest his reaction bring the local grosslings down on them.

Surprisingly enough, though, Emil’s reaction, though sufficiently appreciative, was muted; perhaps the young Swede had been thinking along the same lines as Mikkel in this instance.

What was even more surprising over the following days was that they had been on the big island for quite some time now, but they had yet to find any trace of the Illness at all; in fact, they had spotted a number of mammals that yet bore no sign of either infection or fear of humans. Could this island actually be a naturally occurring Safe area?

The geography of the island was intriguing on a number of other points as well: above the beach to which they’d initially crossed over from the islet, there rose stark granite cliffs that formed the edge of a high plateau bounded on all sides by fairly formidable water obstacles. Once they had explored the plateau, Sigrun had firmly declared that “This was sculpted into a redoubt, probably even before Year Zero”, and the others could not help but concur.

With that in mind, Sigrun began a close examination of the cliff face, and was soon rewarded by the discovery of what she excitedly claimed must be an artificial cavern high above the sands. “See how they used the vines and such as camo for the doors and windows?” she asked Mikkel, pointing at the relevant places.

Before Mikkel could answer, Sigrun was climbing the vines and calling for the others to join her.

Emil was always impressed by how utterly competent (to say the very least) Sigrun was in matters related to physical combat; it was obviously far and away her favorite pastime. Now, her expertise was on full display as her little band silently explored the seemingly long-abandoned habitation she’d discovered for them. She was almost as excited as Tuuri was at exploring this place, though still worlds more cautious.

“I have a great feeling about all this, Fuzzy-Head,” she confessed to the skald as they probed yet another chamber hewn from the living rock. “When we get this story back to the Known World, we’re going to be remembered forever! It’s going to be another Edda!”

Within the room that had obviously served as the bunk-room, they found a skeleton and a book that was just as obviously a diary. The writing was in English, but fortunately, Tuuri could read that long-dead tongue.

Riffling quickly through the aged tome, Tuuri stopped at one particular point. “OK, here’s the last entry.” She cleared her throat. “So, the Great Winnowing has come at last. All my stratagems have been put into place; I can only hope they will outlive me, and hold the plateau of Prospect Heights against what is to come. As for myself, I choose to die with the world that birthed me; the alkaloid I have chosen is bitter, but not unpleasantly so.” Tuuri looked at the others. “It ends there.”

“Kind of him to leave us such suitable lodgings,” Mikkel rumbled.

Lalli, who had been silent hitherto, spoke now, using the fragments of Swedish he’d picked up along their long journeys thus far. “I don’t like this.”

Sigrun snorted. “Join the club. Rather than ‘kind’, I’d call this just a little too ‘convenient’ for my tastes.”

“Are you trying to replace Kissu now, sniffing out a Rat-Beast?” Emil essayed in a somewhat hollow attempt at humor.

Sigrun smiled at him tightly. “Don’t you worry, Little Viking; whatever the secret of this place is, we’ll suss it out, and beat it to death with a blunt instrument if need be.” She yawned elaborately, possibly fooling Reynir, but none of the others. “On that note, why not secure the place and get some shut-eye?”

The others agreed, and so the band settled down in their new quarters for the night…

Spoiler: Authorial Notes • show
More Jules Verne!

…Which, again, no one asked for.

Lazy8

• DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: Name only
« Reply #3348 on: September 16, 2017, 06:47:34 AM »
Yay!
:usa: native
:spain: comes back in an emergency
:vaticancity: rusty
:china: can usually manage to order food
:norway: can hold a basic conversation

:chap5: | :book2: | :book3: | :chap17: :chap18:

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #3349 on: September 16, 2017, 09:10:23 AM »
Good one, LooNEY! It's a trap, isn't it? And is this related to those of your tales where a Cult looses the rash apurpose? I recognise the Verne influence.

On another note, though still fic-related: I recently switched to another iPad (not new, but more recent in origin than my original original iPad), and had some of the software updated. I'm now ready to have another try at loading stuff up to A3O, including some tales that never made it to the Scriptorium, some that only made it to the Scriptorium but not A3O, and the long fic of which I put up three chapters on A3O a couple of years ago, in which I left the story with a missing Lalli, and Mikkel and Reynir about to go in search of him. That one is finished long since, and I'd like to get it all up there.

One of the tales I want to put up is the original first chapter, and some of the chapters I have since written, of that one I wrote for you for that '1,000 years in the future' challenge. I looked for it in the Scriptorium, but couldn't find it. Have you any idea where it might be?
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

LooNEY_DAC

• DeviantArt
« Reply #3350 on: September 16, 2017, 09:14:42 AM »
One of the tales I want to put up is the original first chapter, and some of the chapters I have since written, of that one I wrote for you for that '1,000 years in the future' challenge. I looked for it in the Scriptorium, but couldn't find it. Have you any idea where it might be?
Here.

Lazy8

• DeviantArt
« Reply #3351 on: September 16, 2017, 09:24:39 AM »

*grumbles something about this is what I made the Index for*

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #3352 on: September 16, 2017, 09:40:31 AM »
LooNEY, thanks! Probably won't try it tonight, have to sleep sometime, but soon.

Lazy8: I wasn't even sure where/when to look. By the way, thanks again for that index.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Anna

• Scout
    • Tumblr
  • A majestic circle cat
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #3353 on: September 16, 2017, 03:49:23 PM »
*Grumble grumble*
Ditto.
*Grumble grumble*
I lost my manuscript! *muffled shriek*
:chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21:
:A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:
:book2::book3::book4:

And remember what peace there may be in silence.

Lazy8

• DeviantArt
« Reply #3354 on: September 16, 2017, 09:44:39 PM »
LooNEY, thanks! Probably won't try it tonight, have to sleep sometime, but soon.

Lazy8: I wasn't even sure where/when to look. By the way, thanks again for that index.

I'd start with either under your Author entries (since you don't have that many), or under the Next Gen entry (since again, there aren't that many). Ah well, you did eventually find it though.

LooNEY_DAC

• DeviantArt
« Reply #3355 on: September 17, 2017, 07:24:39 PM »
Something rises from a long slumber...

Mikkel’s Malmö Misadventures
A “Stand Still. Stay Silent” fanfic
Part 5
Complete Links to Complete Links post
Prior part
Spoiler: Väst(erström) Troubles • show
My name is Mikkel Madsen. I used to be a spy, until I decided to resign...

Most spies going on a raid expect to have at least one back-up for their escape route. The problem comes when you can’t trust that the floor plans you have will match up with what’s actually there. Cut through the wrong section of wall, and you can electrocute yourself or worse.

Cut through the right section of wall, and there’s still the chance that there’ll be someone or something waiting for you on the other side.

“EIDE-HO!”

FOOM FOOM FOOM

...Of course, sometimes you’re glad that someone or something’s waiting for you on the other side, because you’re hoping they’ll take care of the mess you’ve stumbled into. While Sigrun Eide would have claimed herself equal to handling the situation on her own if asked, as would her protégé Emil Västerström, Mikkel would much prefer that such a mess as this be cleaned up by those responsible for making it in the first place.

The fact that Emil was using short bursts on his flamethrower told Mikkel that the fire-happy Swede was running low on fuel, which was bad. Mikkel wasn’t in a position to do much damage to their attackers himself, as he was armed only with a crowbar, but Sigrun had firmly vetoed the idea of letting him have some other and more potent weapon, her opinion of his “battling skills” not being very high. As Sigrun was far and away the best combatant on the team, Mikkel had deferred to her judgment in this.

A monster was creeping up behind Sigrun until its head exploded with a sharp PING; fortunately for them, their stealth man Lalli Hotakainen did not appear to be low on rounds for his sniper rifle. On the other hand, what on earth made that kind of noise when it blew up?

Something even more utterly wrong had happened in this hospital-ward-that-didn’t-exist than Mikkel and his team had been led to believe; perhaps it was something even more utterly wrong than anyone believed could have happened in the first place. Regardless of that, it was now up to Mikkel to get his team out; or the part of it that was in, at any rate.

There had been intermittent, short bursts of weird and sometimes painful radio interference over the team comms ever since they’d entered the Ward That Was Not, usually (though not always) directly preceding another assault by whatever these things were; this made keeping contact open with Lalli’s grifter cousin Tuuri Hotakainen and the team intern Reynir, both safely outside this embryonic charnel house, much more difficult than otherwise. Now, however, the most recent burst of black noise was (or seemed to be) dying away, which was a relief to the team’s ears.

Essentially, though, the real problem Mikkel and his team faced was less how to get out of what was looking more and more like a death trap than how to get out while keeping all these things in—or, better yet, making this a death trap for them rather than Mikkel’s team. Mikkel spared a moment’s concentration to briefly curse the team’s mysterious “handler” Trond and the certain people who had engaged him as their agent for this endeavor.

Lalli sniped the last of the most recent wave of attackers, leaving the others panting with exertion amidst the corpses of their enemies. Sigrun grinned after a moment and said, “This is so metal.”

Emil managed a distracted grin, while Mikkel actually laughed outright—a rarity for him. Sigrun grinned toothily back.

The moment was interrupted by Tuuri coming through on the comm. “Mikkel! [buzz] What the [buzz] that just now?”

Before Mikkel could answer, though, Emil piped up. “Tuuri, I’ve got it.”

Tuuri’s voice was rather cold when she answered, “Got what, Emil?” Evidently, she was still sore over the smoke-in-the-vents issue to which Emil had inadvertently admitted culpability just before the most recent attack.

“How to burn this place out,” Emil replied, seemingly unconcerned with her latent hostility. “All we have to do is use the burn-out system whoever designed this ward put in when they made it, but we probably can’t do it from here.”

“How do you know there is one?” Tuuri challenged.

“Well, if there isn’t the people running the place are idiots,” Emil replied. “They picked us to check this incident out before taking the place down, so they definitely aren’t idiots and therefore have a self-destruct built into the place, so Reynir needs to find it and set it off after we get out.”

“Have you considered the possibility that the self-destruct might take out more than just this ward?” Mikkel said calmly.

Emil nodded grimly. “So might anything we can rig up here,” he pointed out.

Mikkel nodded. “Do it, Reynir,” he ordered. “We’ll make an escape hatch and bail when you’re ready.”

If they survived long enough…

Spoiler: Authorial Notes • show
So, I decided to resurrect this thing.

Other such will follow.

October Sky

• Tumblr
  • Smile like you mean it
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they? Honestly no clue at this point
« Reply #3356 on: September 18, 2017, 12:23:42 PM »
Instructions on the Care of Your New Cat/Boyfriend

I finally wrote a proper Emil/Lalli fic!
Nationality: :usa:
kinda but not really: :japan:
:chap16: :chap17: :chap18:

Grade E cat

• Ranger
  • Headcanon firing in 3... 2... 1...
  • Preferred pronouns: her
« Reply #3357 on: September 18, 2017, 04:11:56 PM »
Sorry Lazy8, I could only resist the temptation to make an ending-overriding sequel to your Evil!Emil steampunk fic for so long.

Small steps
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 04:13:32 PM by Grade E cat »
Native: :fr:
So much part of my life it might as well be native: :us:
Few and far between practice opportunities: :es:
A little learned during hardcore anime fan phase: :jp:
Only alternative to English in early junior high school: :de:

Do what cat. Lalli's way of life since age three.

Lazy8

• DeviantArt
« Reply #3358 on: September 19, 2017, 06:22:35 AM »
Yaaaaaaaaaay people are writing again!

Windfighter

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Theologian of the Minnion Church
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #3359 on: September 19, 2017, 06:46:49 AM »
Pff, I've been writing the whole time, you people just don't see it because I don't post here any longer ;) Still nice to the thread moving by those of you who do post here! ♥
or maybe I don't count as people
*goes back into hiding*
Fluent: :sweden:
Decent: :uk:
Phrases: :spain: / :japan:
:book1+:

My stories frequently features themes such as death, suicide, mourning, etc; I cannot give precise warnings for each individual stories, as it would spoil the intrigues.