Author Topic: The SSSS Scriptorium  (Read 780535 times)

Lazy8

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: Name only
Re: The SSSS Scriptorium
« Reply #3255 on: July 05, 2017, 08:44:36 AM »
Not the way I want to do it, but oh well...

*drily* Rest assured, I won't hold it against you.
:usa: native
:spain: comes back in an emergency
:vaticancity: rusty
:china: can usually manage to order food
:norway: can hold a basic conversation

:chap5: | :book2: | :book3: | :chap17: :chap18:

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #3256 on: July 05, 2017, 10:33:10 PM »
I thought about posting this in the Leave of Absence thread, but I'm not really going to be absenting myself from the forum - I'm still happy to lurk around the art thread and discuss the comic and various other things, and the index, of course, will still be updated. I am, however, going to take a break from writing fic. Between the shock over the end of this chapter and a recent health scare that I had at almost exactly the same time, I just don't feel like it anymore. I'd like to at least wait and see where the storyline goes from here, then see if I want to pick it up again.

(Oh, and Looney - if you really wanted to beat me on the Alphabet Challenge, now's your chance...)

I get that.  I wrote a post-canon story a few months ago (Fortune), where I deliberately left it ambiguous whether Tuuri was going back to Mora post-expedition alive, on a gurney or in a box, and also whether Onni was dead or alive back in Mora.  Even that ambiguity did not take into account the possibility that she wasn't going back at all; I hate to think what is in store for Onni. 
Also, I hope you get a good idea of exactly what is going on with said medical issue.  I cannot improve upon the advice you've been given by excellent Forum posters, but I can lend support.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 06:07:58 PM by wavewright62 »
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

Ragnarok

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • I write things, and I'm okay at that.
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him
« Reply #3257 on: July 06, 2017, 02:54:03 PM »
My little 'diverges via OC ISOT' fic has updated, and will continue to do so irregularly so long as I wish to inhabit the state of De Nile.

http://archiveofourown.org/works/11348076/chapters/25395165
Survived: Chapters: :chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:
Books: :book3: :book4:

I wrote a thing. It has consumed my life.

Reigning champion of time spent on this forum.

LooNEY_DAC

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #3258 on: July 09, 2017, 01:35:44 AM »
Alphabet Soup
A “Stand Still. Stay Silent” fanfic collection
Series 2, Part 14
Complete Links to Complete Links post
Spoiler: Nurturing Naturally • show
“You’re right, but you’re wrong, too.” These were the first words Emil had said to Lalli since the other had fled after the, er, divine revelation yesterday.

Tuuri—ah, “Tuuri” had reappeared soon after Lalli had fled, and there was no little awkwardness attendant in interacting with her before Sigrun finally said, “To Hel with it” and hugged “Tuuri”. “You still feel real enough, Short Stuff.”

After that and a surreal conversation on how things would move forward after this, the tension in the air had finally fallen away. Emil had hoped “Tuuri’s” advent meant Lalli would also return soon, but the scout hadn’t shown back up until the crack of dawn, as was usual.

Thus it was that Emil had seized the opportunity to broach the subject with Lalli when the Finn was as close to a captive audience as he was likely ever to be.

Lalli cracked one eye open in order to glare at Emil in annoyance, but the Swede was still behind him, and Lalli couldn’t crank his head around far enough to get him in view, as his luonto was a lynx rather than an owl. With a little puff of annoyance, Lalli shut the eye again before soap could get into it.

Emil sighed, knowing that the morning wash wasn’t nearly the best time for this, but it was the only time he could be sure Lalli wouldn’t run away, as he had the night before. His hands still working on getting the grime off of the scout’s rail-thin body, Emil continued, “I don’t understand what you went through back then, but I do understand that you love your… cousins very much…” Lalli jerked so that Emil thought the Finn meant to flee, bath or no, but then Lalli settled back. After a few more moments, Emil said, “…and I very much understand what it’s like to be thrown into the midst of a bunch of strangers against your will at a young age.”

Emil finished up the scrubbing and rinsing in silence, but as he handed Lalli the towel, he added, “I won’t press you, but I want you to know that I’m here if you want to talk.” He paused. “Or not talk. Or…”

Lalli paused in his drying to put his fingers to Emil’s chin and gently but firmly shut the Swede’s mouth, and Emil let him, remaining silent despite the lingering wetness the Swede could feel on his chin.

In another moment or two, Lalli was as dry as he was going to get, and struggling into his sleepwear. In other circumstances, Emil would have told Lalli of his regret that today’s foray was to exclude the scout, but he kept silent in mingled hope and apprehension.

Lalli’s head finally emerged from the sweater. The look on his face mingled weariness and wariness, so Emil essayed a nervous smile and tentatively put up a fist for a fist bump. He wasn’t too surprised when Lalli simply weaved away, making for the vehicle and his waiting bed. “…Okay. See you later.” Emil almost whispered the words…

Spoiler: Authorial Notes • show
And here’s the excessively belated follow-up to “A Man of Many Parts”. There will be more to come, of course.

It’ll probably take a while.

Grade E cat

• Ranger
  • Headcanon firing in 3... 2... 1...
  • Preferred pronouns: her
« Reply #3259 on: July 09, 2017, 11:53:47 AM »
Managed to get a member of my three one-shot deadlock out... now it's just one of my newer ideas and an older one that descended into development hell.

It's a sequel to Aliax's Trial Of Fire one-shot.

Beaten expectations
Emil's parents don't quite agree with his marrige to Lalli, but they go along with it because partly because they are grateful he came back from the expedition alive, partly because they expect it to not last long anyway. Couldn't resist the idea of trying to write about it.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 03:14:12 AM by Grade E cat »
Native: :fr:
So much part of my life it might as well be native: :us:
Few and far between practice opportunities: :es:
A little learned during hardcore anime fan phase: :jp:
Only alternative to English in early junior high school: :de:

Do what cat. Lalli's way of life since age three.

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #3260 on: July 09, 2017, 08:13:04 PM »
That's a nice headcanon.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Buteo

• Ranger
« Reply #3261 on: July 09, 2017, 10:04:09 PM »
Grade E cat, I like it!

LooNEY_DAC

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #3262 on: July 10, 2017, 12:44:06 AM »
Here I go again...

Alphabet Soup
A “Stand Still. Stay Silent” fanfic collection
Series 3, Part 14
Complete Links to Complete Links post
Spoiler: The Night Is Long and Dangerous • show
Lalli was still asleep, and Emil was quietly worrying himself sick.

At the climax of their extremely narrow escape from Jyväskylä, Lalli had assumed a ritualistic pose atop their vehicle and chanted something. When Lalli had brought his hand up from between his feet to high over his head, Emil had felt the hair on his arms rise with the sudden surge of energy—and then the grosslings had begun to die.

A stream of otherworldly force had rocketed from Lalli into the massed attackers, slicing through their ranks with snarls of primal fury, until the only survivors were fleeing into the gathering night. Only after this force, now gathered into the shape of some great cat, had stumbled to a halt and faded away in seeming exhaustion had Lalli fallen to his knees, bleeding from his nose and eyes, at which the hitherto silent Emil had screamed in alarm.

In a surprising display of agility, Mikkel had managed to get both himself and the unconscious Lalli back inside the vehicle without Tuuri having to stop; Sigrun and Emil had had to remain topside until they were sure no more trolls were following them.

That had all happened more than three days ago, and Lalli still hadn’t awakened.

Of the five of them, only Emil seemed more than slightly concerned about Lalli’s continued slumber, but Emil more than made up for the others’ seeming unconcern.

Once they were safely parked in a campsite far enough removed from the dangers of Jyväskylä (and once Emil was able to corner Tuuri so she couldn’t evade his questioning any more), Tuuri had told Emil that the coma was a mage thing: Lalli had over-exerted his magic to stop the attack, and now he had to rest. Emil wasn’t reassured.

Their vehicle had a fairly impressive communications set-up, but they had avoided using it until Jyväskylä was behind them; even now, the interference was still quite intense. Fortunately, Reynir had been working on a galdrastafur to to clear the ether for them, and it actually worked entirely correctly, bringing his success rate to one out of twenty-seven.

Ever since Lalli had shown him he was a mage in the heat of the battle, Reynir had been trying to use his embryonic powers to help their getaway; as mentioned, most of his efforts had failed thus far. This success had allowed the fugitives to get in touch with Keuruu, so at least their families knew that they had survived thus far, and the forces at Keuruu were expecting them.

Unfortunately, their flight had pushed them far to the south and onto a maze of back-country routes with names like “Kuusjärventie” and “Kalliokyläntie”, the latter of which Tuuri claimed would get them to a road that would get them to another road which would get them to Keuruu, assuming they could use all these roads all the way there; there had been several points where they had been forced to reroute or to hack a path through the obstacles 90 years of weather had placed in their way.

Soon, it would be night again, and Sigrun, Mikkel and Emil would have to stand watch in turn while Tuuri, Reynir and Lalli slept. Emil looked at the recumbent form of his friend and knew that, even were they to reach Keuruu, he would not be at ease until Lalli woke…

Spoiler: Authorial Notes • show
More “Deus Ex Mikkeli” and “Keep Driving!” follow-up here.

All errors in geography are my own, of course.

Solokov

• Live life, start chaos.
« Reply #3263 on: July 10, 2017, 01:16:16 AM »
*slowly walks out of my liches lair to drop off some scrolls and quickly retreats from the sun*

Another tale from the Alliance set in the prologue time period and has a minor tie in with the Guardians of Atom and Strelock's Journal.

Presenting: Doctor Bashir's Notes
I'm a writer too,
writing things for you,
Mostly 'pocylyse things though, check out my story from the start, Blog with the Blastwave.
A relay of the /k/ signal corps.

CAMIR

• DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: she
« Reply #3264 on: July 12, 2017, 01:12:27 PM »
Solokov, does your "Doctor Bashir" have something to do with Star Trek: Deep Space Nine. I stumble over the name each time I look at your fic. I have to say I like the scientific tone of the story although I just skipped over it right now.
Native:
Fluent:
Communication is possible:

Solokov

« Reply #3265 on: July 12, 2017, 03:17:22 PM »
Solokov, does your "Doctor Bashir" have something to do with Star Trek: Deep Space Nine. I stumble over the name each time I look at your fic. I have to say I like the scientific tone of the story although I just skipped over it right now.

Doctor Bashir in my fic is both a refference to DS9 Bashir, and Doctor Charles Sherrington (semi famous pathologist who won a nobel prize for his studies iirc).
I'm a writer too,
writing things for you,
Mostly 'pocylyse things though, check out my story from the start, Blog with the Blastwave.

CAMIR

• DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: she
« Reply #3266 on: July 12, 2017, 04:41:54 PM »
That is combination of two very cool references. I will read it in the next few days and give more qualified feedback.
Native:
Fluent:
Communication is possible:

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #3267 on: July 14, 2017, 08:58:10 PM »
Chapter 31 of the superhero AU fic is posted, in which rescue ensues.  http://archiveofourown.org/works/6610714/chapters/25813464
We are getting there.  Half the problem has come in that every time I write part of this one now, I have to go back and match up continuity, and sometimes that takes up what time I've set aside for the project.  I need to go back & do an overall edit to connect some dots and fix continuity I've missed, but I'll do that either just before or just after releasing the planned epilogue chapter.

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #3268 on: July 15, 2017, 06:05:37 AM »
Double-posting, but I got some time to clear away some half-finished WIPs today.  Here is my entry for the letter N in the Alphabet Challenge - a little different from most of the ones I've posted.  It's called ="North Dakota."http://archiveofourown.org/works/11508171
« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 06:07:31 AM by wavewright62 »

Solokov

« Reply #3269 on: July 15, 2017, 01:50:00 PM »
Very nice Wavewright. I am keenly interested in this "coyote" character as he seems less a spirit guide and more possibly a local god.

Also, updated the notes of Dr. Bashir with some notes of my own.
I'm a writer too,
writing things for you,