Author Topic: The SSSS Scriptorium  (Read 778953 times)

Lazy8

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: Name only
Re: The SSSS Scriptorium
« Reply #3210 on: June 05, 2017, 07:21:41 AM »
Don't know if this makes me a bad person, but I definitely snerked at your affectionate parody of Minna's little problem...
:usa: native
:spain: comes back in an emergency
:vaticancity: rusty
:china: can usually manage to order food
:norway: can hold a basic conversation

:chap5: | :book2: | :book3: | :chap17: :chap18:

Lazy8

• DeviantArt
« Reply #3211 on: June 05, 2017, 09:53:38 AM »
Here, have some more dark stuff.

A Number to Murder Two

OwlsG0

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • I am occasionally scared by my own hair.
  • Preferred pronouns: She/She?/Human?/ Gender?
« Reply #3212 on: June 07, 2017, 08:54:22 AM »
http://archiveofourown.org/works/9787259/chapters/24821706

I really should be studying for my end-of-semester-tests. But the sweet siren song of Lalli-centric angst called my name too sweetly.
I saw the future.
We are not doomed, because our Cat overlords are benevolent leaders :3

:chap11: :book2:  :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16:

LooNEY_DAC

• DeviantArt
« Reply #3213 on: June 08, 2017, 10:50:14 PM »
Light before darkness...

Alphabet Soup
A “Stand Still. Stay Silent” fanfic collection
Series 3, Part 12
Complete Links to Complete Links post
Spoiler: The Last Giant-Killer • show
Sing, O Muse,
of the last and the greatest
of the slayers of Giants,
and the course of her quest
through the quiet land’s coasts,
fell fleetly followed
by five fast-held friends,
for finding her fortune
that tales might be told
of her deeds of renown.

Rosy-Fingered Dawn,
Bright Daughter of Morning,
her glory did spread
along the horizon
as swift, silent Lalli,
the wily young cat-scout,
returned from his wand’rings.
Moon-kissed they were,
and wide were their ranging,
for warding the camp.

There awaiting him,
the protocol wardens,
with bath and with hose,
were strong, silent Mikkel,
the medic so massive,
and gold, sparkly Emil,
the fiery young Cleanser,
a Swedish soulmate,
to purify Lalli,
ere seeing his captain.

Decontamination past,
swift, silent Lalli,
the wily young cat-scout,
went into the cockpit,
that he might report,
to small, lively Tuuri,
the master mechanic,
the polyglot Finn,
on map and by word-hoard,
just what lay ahead.

It is DECIDED!
This word from their Captain,
that their course of action,
was fixed and unyielding,
emboldened them all,
from red-braided Reynir,
the budding young mageling,
to even their cat,
a feisty young feline,
of calico coat.

“Wait… Are you trying to say that our ancestor was among the Great Sigrun’s crew on the Silent World Expedition?” Three sets of young eyes poured scorn on their obviously duplicitous elder.

“I have told you this before, when you were almost too young to know anything at all. Do you not remember? And certainly I have told of how, ages ago, I myself had the privilege of sitting in the laps of all six of the members of that expedition.”

The scorn redoubled. “You and everyone else’s mother!” one of the youths guffawed. The others giggled at this sally.

“I don’t know about ‘everyone else’s mother’, but I, like my mother before me, was cooed at and made much of by the expedition crew when I was barely old enough to walk.” The elder drew herself up proudly. “But if you must have more proof than the word of your elder, go over to the mantelpiece and look at the pictures resting upon it.” She closed her eyes, the picture of blithe unconcern as the youths hurried off.

When they slunk back, the youths were obviously torn between humiliation at having been so wrong and awe at their elder’s proximity to the Great Sigrun. A strained silence clawed at the youths until one of them finally burst out, “What was she like?”

Before the elder could answer, a barrage of other questions poured forth from the youths, as though the first had been but the initial leak signifying a dam’s collapse. At last, the elder had to call the youths to order or be swept under herself. She then held forth for quite some time about what her mother and grandmother had told her about the few reunions the crew had managed over the years, and about each member of the crew individually.

“Remember, youths,” she concluded, lashing her tail stridently, “that you are of the line of the Incomparable Kisu, the Cat Beyond Grade A who braved the Silent World by the Great Sigrun’s side!”

Spoiler: Authorial Notes • show
This was under way before OwlsG0’s ‘Headcanon Thread!’ post.

Meow

Meow

Meow

Meow

Meow

Buteo

• Ranger
« Reply #3214 on: June 09, 2017, 01:43:15 AM »
I got it at "...sitting in the laps of all six..."  ;D

Well done, LooNEY! A timely lightness!

Róisín

• Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #3215 on: June 09, 2017, 01:58:11 AM »
Good one, LooNEY!
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

LooNEY_DAC

• DeviantArt
« Reply #3216 on: June 11, 2017, 10:46:34 PM »
Alphabet Soup
Series 1, Part 13
Spoiler: A Man of Many Parts • show
“You don’t understand anything.”

With that, Lalli had fled like all the grosslings in the world were after him. Emil couldn’t really blame his Finn friend for not wanting to face the truth the… “gods”… had just exposed: that Tuuri and the heretofore unseen Onni were simply products of Lalli’s mind and… magic… (and there was something Emil himself couldn’t deal with right now, though he supposed he would need to) working in tandem, as his actual cousins had died long ago; Emil had to think that giving up such a cherished delusion would have to be hard for anyone. With Lalli, Emil thought the task would be even more difficult than the fox-thing had hinted at.

Fortunately, Emil had managed to hustle Lalli outside before any of the others could react to the “visitation”, ensuring they would have some privacy for this first conversation. Knowing that there would be no good way to broach the subject, Emil had opted to address it head-on, talking to Lalli in Swedish about what they’d just seen and what it meant. Emil had spoken softly and gently, trying to express his sympathy in what he feared was all too clumsy a way, while Lalli had remained silent until his outburst and flight.

The others had come out after Lalli had left, trickling out one by one, and Emil had put them off as best he could. Tuuri—ah, “Tuuri” hadn’t reappeared, which no one took as a good sign, but they’d all tried to go about what business they had with their scout and their skald absent. Sigrun and Mikkel had been on the radio for quite some time, presumably about their new charge. Sigrun, at least, hadn’t mentioned the “visitation”, though Mikkel might have been reciting an Icelandic saga for all Emil could tell.

Emil stared out into the gathering gloom. Lalli had been gone for quite some time now; Emil was trying not to worry as he had on Lalli’s first excursion, as he knew how skilled a scout Lalli was by now. The problem was that on that first night, Lalli hadn’t been fleeing from the inescapable; he had only had to deal with grosslings rather than the ghosts of his past.

Even should the thin Finn make it through the grossling-filled night, would the dawn see Lalli’s return to the camp? Emil could only hope so. “I’m sorry,” he whispered uselessly, his mood waning with the light.

The pain in Lalli’s voice still cut at Emil, even through the muting effect of memory. He wished he could have just left it alone, or found some mythical means to draw the hurt from his friend, but he was just a godless Swede whose only accomplishment was maintaining his sparkly golden hair; unless you counted putting his foot in his mouth, which he seemed to have done again and at the worst possible time.

On the other hand, Emil now realized something he should have caught at the time but hadn’t: that bitter and rather derisive parting remark had been in Swedish

So here at last is the sequel to A Helping Hand.

Took me long enough, didn’t it?
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 12:05:32 AM by LooNEY_DAC »

Róisín

• Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #3217 on: June 11, 2017, 11:37:03 PM »
Glad to see it, however long it took.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #3218 on: June 12, 2017, 05:10:29 AM »
I had the great boon of a day off, and was determined to make a fanwork with my boon of time.  So here is my entry for K in the Alphabet Soup, entitled "Knuckles," and featuring Sigrun and No-Arms.
http://archiveofourown.org/works/11177979

Spoiler: show
So many great K words in this fandom, and mulling over them over the last few weeks has been quite fruitless in terms of inspiring any sort of story.  Ah well, I got something out there anyway.  It beats a haiku and a drawing of Kisu, which is what I was pondering before this one came to me.
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

Grade E cat

• Ranger
  • Headcanon firing in 3... 2... 1...
  • Preferred pronouns: her
« Reply #3219 on: June 12, 2017, 04:54:55 PM »
Yay, something managed to get out of that multiple partially written fic deadlock of mine! Now enjoy... an addition to that "For want of a sheepherder" AU that made me a mass character killer? Really? I don't understand my own brain, sometimes...

For want of a call
Native: :fr:
So much part of my life it might as well be native: :us:
Few and far between practice opportunities: :es:
A little learned during hardcore anime fan phase: :jp:
Only alternative to English in early junior high school: :de:

Do what cat. Lalli's way of life since age three.

Lazy8

• DeviantArt
« Reply #3220 on: June 14, 2017, 09:01:15 AM »
Ever cried over spilled milk before it's even been spilled?

A Phase I'm Going Through

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #3221 on: June 16, 2017, 01:25:49 AM »
In which I ponder universally enduring truths:
http://archiveofourown.org/works/11213457
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

Lazy8

• DeviantArt
« Reply #3222 on: June 17, 2017, 09:48:21 AM »
Dropping this here before I go to bed.

A Question of Honor

LooNEY_DAC

• DeviantArt
« Reply #3223 on: June 17, 2017, 10:29:16 PM »
WARNING!

This is dark.

Extremely dark.

Got it?

Alphabet Soup
Series 2, Part 13
Spoiler: Miles from Home • show
Captain Sparkle, brave leader of THE NORSE AVENGERS, looked at the Winter Huntress’ counterpart (hopefully also named Sigrun), who was their counterparts’ obvious leader, and asked her, “So, we’ve been shifted into another reality, have we?”

Sigrun nodded. “And dozens, perhaps hundreds like us, all normals.” She gestured to a mass of machinery behind her, where Tuuri sat, her hands pulling back from a set of controls. “We brought you here, and here’s why…”

EARLIER…

It took them several days to reach the thing (Mikkel called it an “arcology”, but after the whole “face-cancer” episode, his credibility was in doubt) that was where Copenhagen should have been. All the while, it neither rained nor snowed; and Lalli insisted that only he should be allowed out of the vehicle, during the nights at least. Sigrun was almost as upset over this as Emil, until Lalli led her around the trail of abandoned vehicles on the path they were following.

Sigrun’s assertion that “Twigs is right; we’d better stay inside” only amplified Emil’s private worries over Lalli’s nightly runs.

Emil had nearly pulled his hair out a dozen times over by the time they reached the near edge of the massive structure, but he found no comfort in what followed, for the group had to abandon their vehicle to enter the warped and jagged tear in the structure’s side that was to be their portal into it.

The warren of corridors they found were dust- and debris-free, and all brightly lit. There was no sign Emil could discern to differentiate where they were, where they’d been, or where they were going, but Lalli led them along a specific route without faltering or hesitating once.

Eventually, Lalli stopped at one particular doorway, which opened in front of them. They went inside, but what first caught their attentions was not the massive pile of equipment jury-rigged into one giant machine, but—

Another Tuuri waved languidly back at them, only this Tuuri was painfully, hideously thin--the kind of thin Emil had only seen in ancient photographs about “the Shoah”.

“It’s good to see you, even if you aren’t my crew,” the emaciated Tuuri said in a voice that creaked as though she hadn’t had water for days on end. “Get comfortable; this will take some time—perhaps all the time I have left.”

This other Tuuri told them of what she and others since dead had pieced together: that this was an alternate to their own worlds, and that some group of people had deliberately and purposefully brought them here to suffer, fight and die for the amusement of that sadistic group.

“Nothing grows here,” Tuuri creaked. “The only way to survive is to eat the rations new arrivals bring... or the new arrivals themselves. Even then, even if you survive constantly fighting the newbies and yourselves, the malnutrition will kill you eventually.” She looked down. “I—I just couldn’t, but other versions of me could, and did,” she said miserably. “Because of that, all of my crew died.”

Tuuri waved at the array of weirdly-configured machinery behind her. “Whoever brought us here left behind caches of stuff that would enable one of them to escape if stranded here; I and some others managed to mash this together so that you could get help—for your sake, and that of all the others here, murderous cannibals or not. Find someone or some group powerful enough to vanquish the fiends who brought us here, then turn them loose against our tormentors.”

A fit of dry, heaving coughs wracked the decrepit Tuuri, until they stopped abruptly. She would tell them no more.

“They brought us here to fight; we brought you here to fight them.”

Captain Sparkle looked over at the Winter Huntress; then both turned back to the other Sigrun and smiled

The next bit will be lighter fare; if you’ll recall, I’ve mentioned before how cannibalism tends to leave a bad taste in the mouth.

…And Emil knows exactly and correctly what the Shoah was.

Lazy8

• DeviantArt
« Reply #3224 on: June 18, 2017, 01:10:31 AM »
Looney, would you mind reminding me which fic proceeds this one so I can archive it properly?