Author Topic: The SSSS Scriptorium  (Read 777239 times)

OwlsG0

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • I am occasionally scared by my own hair.
  • Preferred pronouns: She/She?/Human?/ Gender?
Re: The SSSS Scriptorium
« Reply #2985 on: February 25, 2017, 05:35:35 AM »
linky-loo

New, unexpectedly short chapter. Really didn't turn out the way I thought it was gonna go but I ran out of time. I have a 3 a.m. wake up call tomorrow for a trip to renew certain paperworks. Then I start university the day after. I'm doomed.
I saw the future.
We are not doomed, because our Cat overlords are benevolent leaders :3

:chap11: :book2:  :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16:

Ragnarok

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • I write things, and I'm okay at that.
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him
« Reply #2986 on: February 25, 2017, 12:30:09 PM »
Ch 25 is up! We see the effect introducing gunpowder has on Westeros.

http://archiveofourown.org/works/7707919/chapters/22234388
Survived: Chapters: :chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:
Books: :book3: :book4:

I wrote a thing. It has consumed my life.

Reigning champion of time spent on this forum.

LooNEY_DAC

• DeviantArt
« Reply #2987 on: February 25, 2017, 09:26:59 PM »
Link to latest Maglor update.

Róisín

• Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #2988 on: February 25, 2017, 09:52:12 PM »
Huzzah! This is fascinating.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Lazy8

• DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: Name only
« Reply #2989 on: February 26, 2017, 08:13:06 AM »
Kill Bill? Why, I've never even heard of that Quentin Tarantino movie!

Just a Job to Do

:usa: native
:spain: comes back in an emergency
:vaticancity: rusty
:china: can usually manage to order food
:norway: can hold a basic conversation

:chap5: | :book2: | :book3: | :chap17: :chap18:

Grade E cat

• Ranger
  • Headcanon firing in 3... 2... 1...
  • Preferred pronouns: her
« Reply #2990 on: February 26, 2017, 10:02:52 AM »
Here's the last chapter I've written so far. For any continuation, I think I may wait for the 14-15 chapter break as 1) The vacation I've been taking for most of Chapter 14's run is going to technically end tomorrow. 2) I will need to have all of Chapter 14 to figure out how I will deal with it. 3) I'm hoping to find a way for Tuuri to be bitten that doesn't involve double the number of human errors from canon in the meantime. Has been fun writng this.

Previous chapter

Broken bridges

Ghosts just won't leave the crew alone.

Spoiler: Chapter 12 • show

Once they were far away enough from the hospital that he no longer had to try keeping the ghosts away just by wishing very hard for it, Reynir realized that their departure circumstances meant that his predictions had been right: there were ghosts wherever that Rash cure had been used. But before he could give it any more thought, Lalli was suddenly extremely close to his masked face for someone who preferred avoiding physical contact and speaking Swedish to him:
-Drawing. Ghosts come close. Fire.
-What?
He got a much clearer version of what Lalli was probably trying to tell him from Emil:
-Your damn drawing caught fire in my pocket! Do you realize I have to carry explosives for my work?
That could have become ugly indeed.
-I'm sorry! I didn't know it would do that! I'm still learning!
Well, at least that one was doing something, not like the other ones. His following thought was the realization that from Emil's point of view, a random drawing had spontaneously caught fire in his pocket, yet he had to be accepting the fact to some degree to have just been complaining to Reynir about it. He was probably about to ask him a bunch on questions. That expectation was shot down immediately by Emil simply turning away and making a beeline for the dormitory, where he just collapsed on his bunk. On the other hand, maybe things would have to move slowly with him. Accepting that something had caught fire by magic and telling the person who was responsible as far as he was concerned was one thing. Actually asking questions about it may be a level of acceptance for which Emil wasn't ready yet. Reynir turned his eye to Mikkel. Had he heard any of what Emil or Lalli had said? Apparently not, as he had been busy keeping the papers away from Reynir and Tuuri until he was sure the two of them could come close to them without any risk.

Mikkel told the story in both Icelandic and Danish to make as many people possible aware of the situation. Lalli would have been the only one left out if it wasn't for the fact that he was already taking a nap. The people in that place had found something that cured the Rash, but it had the unexplained side effect of gradual, and irreversible brain death. However, the report made it obvious that they were aware of trolls at the time, even though they weren't called that yet, or named at all. They had made a decision for all the patients: that it was better for them to get that "cure" than to risk turning into a troll. They had manufactured it and sent it to as many treatment centers as they could, not informing caretakers of the side effects. Reynir remembered that letter in the first campsite containing both the cure and the ghosts, which suggested that the caretakers were genuinely expecting the patients to wake up.

They were now only a few days away from their pick up spot, which was a Danish outpost built during the reclamation attempts. The boat meant to pick them up was about to be sent away from Iceland, but it would take at least twenty days for it to reach them. They were considered to have done enough already and suggested to use their waiting time to prepare properly for what was awaiting them once they came back, whatever that ended up being. Just as Torbjörn was telling them this, Reynir noticed Lalli preparing to head out much earlier than usual.

Reynir had felt that the ghosts and trolls that had been following them the whole way were getting closer every day, but he hadn't realized that they had become that close. Once they has parked the tank in a field that left an open line of fire, Reynir informed Onni and Hildur via dreamspace, in case they were able to help. Lalli then dragged him outside and asked him to draw his newest rune outside the tank. He also made a few runes to keep trolls away, but wasn't able to make them completely surround the tank before he literally bumped into Mikkel, who was not happy seeing him outside at all. Reynir considered himself lucky to not have been noticed in such a long time, when he heard Emil whispering to him as Mikkel was dragging him inside:
-Couldn't distract him forever, sorry.
So Emil accepted what had happened earlier in the day enough to realize that he shouldn't be interrupted while drawing runes. The fact that Mikkel was currently pushing him into the dormitory told him what a difference even that level of understanding could make. Fortunately, one of the first things Reynir had done with the anti-troll runes taught to him by Hildur had been to draw a few on the dormitory’s walls. He had even managed to paint a large version of the most powerful one on the floor. He and Tuuri, who was sitting on Emil's bunk, were going to be safe in there.

Hildur almost finished the job that the children had started on her hair when she realized how little she was going to able to do to help. When Onni had said that he was going to need a completely empty room, she had helped him and Bjarni clear a place that was really a storage closet, and hence didn't contain any furniture that wasn't intended to be easy to move. What Onni was going to try was going to put such a strain on his body that he was going to be out for several days, and Hildur was to be the one to provide long-distance assistance to the crew if it turned out to be needed in the meantime. Her more immediate task was to keep Siv and the children away from the room, and get him in bed once he collapsed. Why did that horde have to catch up with them today, of all days? Was their discovery, or rather lack of it, going to be overshadowed by her father getting proven right just a few hours later? She'd give anything for this to not happen. Anything.

You just had to tempt fate, Hildur. And I may just have to make it quite cruel to squeeze that AU through the end of Chapter 13...
« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 10:04:40 AM by Grade E cat »
Native: :fr:
So much part of my life it might as well be native: :us:
Few and far between practice opportunities: :es:
A little learned during hardcore anime fan phase: :jp:
Only alternative to English in early junior high school: :de:

Do what cat. Lalli's way of life since age three.

Lazy8

• DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: Name only
« Reply #2991 on: February 28, 2017, 08:09:53 AM »
Maybe I need a break. Or to work on something else for a while. Or a break.

Knocking on Forbidden Doors

:usa: native
:spain: comes back in an emergency
:vaticancity: rusty
:china: can usually manage to order food
:norway: can hold a basic conversation

:chap5: | :book2: | :book3: | :chap17: :chap18:

OwlsG0

• I am occasionally scared by my own hair.
  • Preferred pronouns: She/She?/Human?/ Gender?
« Reply #2992 on: March 02, 2017, 06:32:53 AM »
Chapter four

Everybody gets a spirit animal friend thingie! Reynir and Tuuri have a chat about hope! Reynir discovers his potty mouth! Emil melts down at an animal with fur the exact same glorious shade of gold as his own hair! Mikkel wears the 'business breeches'!
I saw the future.
We are not doomed, because our Cat overlords are benevolent leaders :3

:chap11: :book2:  :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16:

Ragnarok

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • I write things, and I'm okay at that.
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him
« Reply #2993 on: March 02, 2017, 11:57:35 AM »
A chapter of TKotIT that we somehow missed posting.....takes place before Ch24, obviously.

http://archiveofourown.org/works/7707919/chapters/22400903
Survived: Chapters: :chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:
Books: :book3: :book4:

I wrote a thing. It has consumed my life.

Reigning champion of time spent on this forum.

Solokov

• Live life, start chaos.
« Reply #2994 on: March 04, 2017, 02:47:25 AM »
To be fair we were kinda rapid fire messaging back and forth at that point.
I'm a writer too,
writing things for you,
Mostly 'pocylyse things though, check out my story from the start, Blog with the Blastwave.
A relay of the /k/ signal corps.

LooNEY_DAC

• DeviantArt
« Reply #2995 on: March 04, 2017, 08:41:09 PM »
Alphabet Soup
A “Stand Still. Stay Silent” fanfic collection
Series 1, Part 2
Complete Links to Complete Links post
Spoiler: A Bestial Thing to Do • show
The wizened little detective faced down the dozen Seiður assembled around the coffee table. “One of you is a murderer,” he said bluntly. “Poor Olafur, who ate his last meal here at this very table less than two days ago, was murdered, and the sea-wall breach merely a ruse to cover the killer’s tracks!”

Voices rose in anger, fear and consternation, but the detective never turned a hair at the commotion. Soon, the group around the table had nearly reached the point of physical violence as everyone present presented each other with airings of every petty little grievance as evidence that there was the murderer.

All this time, the detective had remained unmoved; nor did he attempt some futile demonstration of physical prowess now. Instead, he raised his own voice again. “This cozy little circle of yours has had everything their own way for so long that most of you think that it’s ‘the natural order of things’, and one of you thought he could get away with murder. Well, you were wrong, Bjarni Einarson!”

A mass of papers landed on the desk next to Reynir with a loud thud just as he reached the detective’s revelation of the murderer’s identity. Not unnaturally, the hapless Icelander came just shy of breaking his head on the vehicle’s metal roof immediately thereafter.

“Where did you get that pulp trash?” Mikkel asked, nodding at the ragged, flimsy booklet Reynir had almost flung into the big Dane’s face in his surprise.

“My mother wrote it,” Reynir replied, an understandable note of frost coloring his voice. “It’s one of a series she wrote about this little old guy who keeps getting caught up in murders and other mysteries. She wouldn’t let me read them while I was living at home, so I grabbed this one on my way out.”

Mikkel pinched the bridge of his nose and mumbled something about “that accursed Loki Saxet copycat fad” that Reynir didn’t really understand. The big Dane, at his very most Danish, then informed Reynir that the Icelander should vacate the office so that Tuuri could get to work on the papers Mikkel had just delivered.

Reynir saw Tuuri peeping apologetically from behind the great Madsen mass. “Oh--sorry about that, Tuuri.” As he was still twitchy from his earlier startle, it took him a few awkward moments to disentangle his limbs from each other so that he could yield the desk to her.

The murderer stood blocking the only exit, but the wizened little detective remained as calm as though he were chatting about commonplaces in his favorite tea-room instead of facing down an unrepentant murderer.

Reynir swallowed nervously as he read the passage, one hand tightly gripping the wood frame of the bunk he was sitting on. It didn’t help that a thunderstorm had sprung up out of nowhere while he’d been reading in the sleeping quarters, the fierce rattle of the rain against their vehicle adding to the tense atmosphere the prose engendered. He tried petting the kitten ensconced in his lap, but despite the resultant purring, his nerves still thrummed with tension.

“Whether or not your confounded meddling brings me to grief, your own doom has come.”

“Your own doom has come!” someone whispered in Reynir’s ear. Not until much later did Reynir realize that Tuuri had crept up to him and read the words over his shoulder; at the moment, he was far too busy panicking.

It took quite some time to coax the kitten down from Reynir’s head, and even longer to set all the bunks to rights...

Spoiler: Authorial Notes • show
So, here’s another little glimpse into the literature of Y90.

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #2996 on: March 05, 2017, 05:23:29 AM »
Bedtime.  The story I was getting ready for the letter D needs a lot more work, and is getting assigned to another letter later in the alphabet.  So this other one presented itself instead - entitled "Ducks."
http://archiveofourown.org/works/10097225

I promised that this story was not going to be titled after a food commodity, didn't I?  Well, it isn't about food, not really... not much anyway.
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

Gaemmel

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
« Reply #2997 on: March 05, 2017, 11:51:35 AM »
FINALLY! I managed to write something for the letter D. I searched for a song for ages.

http://archiveofourown.org/works/9629999/chapters/22498208

Characters: Sigrun/Tuuri
Please read the warnings at the beginning of the chapter, this is maybe not very brutal, but still a lot more brutal than it usually gets in my writing.
I'm the left one on the picture.

Fluent: :germany: :uk:
In school I had: :france: :spain:
Some words and phrases: :japan:
Learning: :sweden:

:chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21:

Grade E cat

• Ranger
  • Headcanon firing in 3... 2... 1...
  • Preferred pronouns: her
« Reply #2998 on: March 05, 2017, 11:58:30 AM »
I finally wrote a really long one-shot that I really, really wanted to publish. This means the revival of my old alter ego on Fanfiction.net!

First of all, the new work:

Just in case

Onni still suspects Reynir is hiding something from him, and decides to magically spy on him for a day. He ends up following the crew's first day of actually adressing many of the last battle's consequences almost through Reynir's eyes, and getting answers to a few questions he's never asked himself in addition to the one he's actually seeking.

Since I was completely new to what had become of the site in the last five years, I got used to the interface again by uploading "Worst case scenario" on the account as well. "Broken bridges" will come in time. My brain decided it was going to be when Chapter 13 would be ready, because I figured out what to put in it just three days ago and have just gotten around deciding I didn't like the first version.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 12:01:03 PM by Grade E cat »
Native: :fr:
So much part of my life it might as well be native: :us:
Few and far between practice opportunities: :es:
A little learned during hardcore anime fan phase: :jp:
Only alternative to English in early junior high school: :de:

Do what cat. Lalli's way of life since age three.

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #2999 on: March 05, 2017, 12:27:50 PM »
Alphabet Soup
A “Stand Still. Stay Silent” fanfic collection
Series 1, Part 2
Complete Links to Complete Links post
Spoiler: A Bestial Thing to Do • show
The wizened little detective faced down the dozen Seiður assembled around the coffee table. “One of you is a murderer,” he said bluntly. “Poor Olafur, who ate his last meal here at this very table less than two days ago, was murdered, and the sea-wall breach merely a ruse to cover the killer’s tracks!”

Voices rose in anger, fear and consternation, but the detective never turned a hair at the commotion. Soon, the group around the table had nearly reached the point of physical violence as everyone present presented each other with airings of every petty little grievance as evidence that there was the murderer.

All this time, the detective had remained unmoved; nor did he attempt some futile demonstration of physical prowess now. Instead, he raised his own voice again. “This cozy little circle of yours has had everything their own way for so long that most of you think that it’s ‘the natural order of things’, and one of you thought he could get away with murder. Well, you were wrong, Bjarni Einarson!”

A mass of papers landed on the desk next to Reynir with a loud thud just as he reached the detective’s revelation of the murderer’s identity. Not unnaturally, the hapless Icelander came just shy of breaking his head on the vehicle’s metal roof immediately thereafter.

“Where did you get that pulp trash?” Mikkel asked, nodding at the ragged, flimsy booklet Reynir had almost flung into the big Dane’s face in his surprise.

“My mother wrote it,” Reynir replied, an understandable note of frost coloring his voice. “It’s one of a series she wrote about this little old guy who keeps getting caught up in murders and other mysteries. She wouldn’t let me read them while I was living at home, so I grabbed this one on my way out.”

Mikkel pinched the bridge of his nose and mumbled something about “that accursed Loki Saxet copycat fad” that Reynir didn’t really understand. The big Dane, at his very most Danish, then informed Reynir that the Icelander should vacate the office so that Tuuri could get to work on the papers Mikkel had just delivered.

Reynir saw Tuuri peeping apologetically from behind the great Madsen mass. “Oh--sorry about that, Tuuri.” As he was still twitchy from his earlier startle, it took him a few awkward moments to disentangle his limbs from each other so that he could yield the desk to her.

The murderer stood blocking the only exit, but the wizened little detective remained as calm as though he were chatting about commonplaces in his favorite tea-room instead of facing down an unrepentant murderer.

Reynir swallowed nervously as he read the passage, one hand tightly gripping the wood frame of the bunk he was sitting on. It didn’t help that a thunderstorm had sprung up out of nowhere while he’d been reading in the sleeping quarters, the fierce rattle of the rain against their vehicle adding to the tense atmosphere the prose engendered. He tried petting the kitten ensconced in his lap, but despite the resultant purring, his nerves still thrummed with tension.

“Whether or not your confounded meddling brings me to grief, your own doom has come.”

“Your own doom has come!” someone whispered in Reynir’s ear. Not until much later did Reynir realize that Tuuri had crept up to him and read the words over his shoulder; at the moment, he was far too busy panicking.

It took quite some time to coax the kitten down from Reynir’s head, and even longer to set all the bunks to rights...

Spoiler: Authorial Notes • show
So, here’s another little glimpse into the literature of Y90.

Hahahahaha, I'm having fun thinking of Tuuri intoning Doom, and thinking she can't quite come up with the requisite basso profundo - and it just doesn't matter!  Mum, eh?
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior