Author Topic: The SSSS Scriptorium  (Read 780412 times)

Dverghamrar

• Tumblr
  • Disciple of Katla
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
Re: The SSSS Scriptorium
« Reply #2895 on: January 22, 2017, 08:27:21 PM »
Silent Night reveals! :D I wrote a total of seven fics, a mix of SSSS and aRTD. The SSSS fics are below. I'm also including another gift I wrote for Elleth for the most recent Fandom Stocking. Don't think I shared it here yet. :) You'll also find the other Silent Night aRTD fics in the other respective place, and another Fandom Stocking one in...that other forum. :3

I’m Glad You Came for IdleLeaves
Reynir/Lalli • T • It is summertime, and the boys find themselves missing the adrenaline of the adventure past, and the arms of one other.
Tags: Dreamworld

The Man From The Future for LooNEY_DAC
Mikkel, Paju • G • A hallway leads Mikkel to a very different area of the library, many years back and in another part of the world.
Tags: Crossover, some humor

Respectful and Kind for radiolinked
Lalli & Emil • G • Lalli is missing from the post-expedition reception.
Tags: Post-canon, friendship

And the one for Fandom Stocking:
Title: To’oborni
Pairings/Characters: Sigrun/Tuuri
Words: 1,580+
Rating: Teen
Content/Warning: No archive warnings. Note: hurt/comfort (with some level of violence shown); content: romance, fluff, kissing
Summary: Sigrun takes a hit meant for Tuuri. Out of guilt, Tuuri helps to take care of the injured captain, who is not as angry about being bed-bound as Tuuri may think.
♫ ♪ Sharing secrets with another world
Rubbing shoulders with some unknown lovers
♪ ♫
:chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14:
AO3 (Mageverse) | Twitter | Tumblr
Fluent: :usa:
Various degrees of fluency: :arableague: :mexico: :japan: :italy:
Now acquiring: :germany:
Wishlist: :iceland::finland:
O

Lazy8

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: Name only
:usa: native
:spain: comes back in an emergency
:vaticancity: rusty
:china: can usually manage to order food
:norway: can hold a basic conversation

:chap5: | :book2: | :book3: | :chap17: :chap18:

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #2897 on: January 24, 2017, 03:11:13 PM »
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

Tr

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Mostly lurking these days
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #2898 on: January 25, 2017, 10:50:02 AM »
So, uh, has anyone done a SSSS/Welcome to Night Vale crossover yet? I wrote a thing about what would happen when the Rash came to Night Vale, in the form of a traditional Night Vale episode.
Warnings for a bit of gore, Night Vale spoilers, and things really not making sense if you don't listen to the podcast.
And hey... thanks.
Spoiler: show
Someone once said that life is a journey. This is true. Life is a long, strange, twisting road to a destination that we cannot hope to imagine.
Welcome to Night Vale.
[theme song plays]
Listeners--
Well, I was going to report on the strange illness affecting some of our townspeople, but one of the station interns is approaching. She looks concerned.
Yes? What is it?
Listeners, Intern Leanne tells me that she has a peculiar itch on the back of her neck. It has been there for several days, she says, and it is not only on the surface of her skin, but deep beneath it, invading her muscles and veins and sending deep, stabbing pains to her very bones.
This is probably nothing to worry about. You know what? I bet the Sheriff’s secret police are running tests on the tracking devices they have planted deep beneath our skin again! As all of you know, they regularly send an electronic pulse through these tiny, computerized chips, just to make sure they’re working. This is completely ordinary, though it can cause a little pain and itching if you’re not used to it.
See, Intern Leanne? This isn’t even news! Everyone experiences some unbearable itching and agonizing pain from time to time, but you don’t hear us complaining about it.
More importantly, a mysterious illness has been noticed in Night Vale. This illness has infected several baristas in the Barista District, causing mustaches to twist in strange, horrible patterns and knitted ties to become stained red with blood. It seems to take the form of a rash that causes flesh to become mangled in bizarre and terrifying ways.
Many citizens have been doing what we all must do when we see a sick person… that is, screaming and locking them in the nearest basement! Good for them, I say. It’s always hard to be a Good Samaritan in troubling times like these, but these citizens have risen to the task.
In other news, as citizens die of the Rash, several dark, shadowy figures have been spotted hovering nearby. These are different from the dark, shadowy figures we normally see out of the corners of our eyes, which are either the Faceless Old Woman who secretly lives in your home, members of the Sheriff’s Secret Police, or hallucinations created by our own fevered minds. These shades seem far more hostile. They watch us with bright eyes, pale in the midst of their great darkness, like black stains upon our bright desert air. They watch us in silence, waiting.
Meanwhile, the illness seems to have spread to several more people. Some of the baristas who were infected first have started to change, morphing into twisted, broken, horrifying creatures.... more so than usual, I mean. They pound on basement doors, screeching, nails scratching at the wood. We don’t know how long our basements will hold them, but we must hope it will be long enough.
Former mayor Pamela Winchell has called an emergency press conference in response to this impending disaster. “It’s not that bad,” she insisted, strapping a green gas mask over her face. “It’s just like the last few mutant problems we’ve had. We’ll be fine if we follow the City Council’s Apocalyptic Plague Protocol.”
The City Council’s Apocalyptic Plague Protocol is, of course, inscribed on the front teeth of every Night Vale citizen. To view it, open your mouth and look in a mirror, or ask your dentist to read it for you. I attempted to reach the City Council itself for comments, but merely received a message that the Councilmembers have gone on vacation to Antarctica for an indefinite amount of time. “Call us when you solve the Rash problem,” said the message, which had been carved on the inside of my shoes.
Pamela also said that the shadowy figures in the Abandonded Lot District were probably a more aggressive form of ghost and therefore nothing to worry about. Every child learns Advanced Spirit Banishing in kindergarten. Night Vale would have a very poor school system indeed if they didn’t.
Listeners, the illness is transforming citizens all over town. Normally, some terrifying force invades Night Vale from the outside, but this is different. These are our friends and our family who hunger for our flesh and rip at out basement walls. We are well defended against outsiders, dear listeners, but today we are not fighting outsiders. We are changing, Night Vale, we are changing terribly, and I am afraid...
Intern Leanne is complaining about her itch again. She is shouting from the other room. She is screaming. She is shrieking garbled words in a choked, half-human voice.
Sheesh. It’s just an itch, Intern Leanne. Get it together.
[crashing noises]
Listeners, Intern Leanne is tearing through the station. I fear she has become something horrible… something inhuman, twisted, and unimaginable. Even know I can hear the slap of mangled appendages and the snap of bones. She is coming, dear listeners, she is coming this way, and now, fearing for my life and for all our lives, I take you… to the weather!
[Music plays.]
Well, Night Vale, once again, we have survived.
Instead of rushing towards me, the thing that was once Intern Leanne barreled headlong into the bathroom, where it met Khoshekh and his many kittens, who, sensing danger, puffed up their adorable little spine ridges to defend their home. The creature that was once Intern Leanne was no match for these brave, blessed felines, and though the station’s floor is soaked in blood and viscera, the danger here has passed. Intern Derek, who is wearing one of the station’s many gas masks, is mopping it all up. Good job, Intern Derek.
Which reminds me: To the friends and family of Intern Leanne… loss, valued member of our community, et cetera. I’m sure you know the drill.
Even now, I am getting reports that the Sherriff’s Secret Police, aided by a vague yet menacing government agency, have successfully overpowered the other mutants. They have carted the creatures off to wherever the people who vanish forever in the middle of the night go, where they will trouble our town no more.
Surprisingly, the shadowy figures were banished before our brave local kindergarteners were given a chance to try! A tall being named Erika informed me that they and their compatriots, who were certainly not angels, had taken care of it. “Those were just ghosts. Or whatever,” Erika told me.
Once more, our town has been saved. Perhaps we should not focus on the hardship we underwent today, but the courage and strength our citizens showed in overcoming it. Once more, we have triumphed. We have proved, yet again, that we will stand strong in the face of an uncaring universe.
Stay tuned next for the sound of a nonexistent river rushing along a riverbed that has been dry for centuries, and as always, good night, Night Vale. Good night.

* Tr  disappears back into the void
Avatar by the amazing and wonderful ginger ^-^ :chap11: :chap12: :chap13:
Fluent :usa:, Learning in school :spain:

Ragnarok

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • I write things, and I'm okay at that.
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him
« Reply #2899 on: January 25, 2017, 11:01:48 AM »
So, uh, has anyone done a SSSS/Welcome to Night Vale crossover yet? I wrote a thing about what would happen when the Rash came to Night Vale, in the form of a traditional Night Vale episode.
Warnings for a bit of gore, Night Vale spoilers, and things really not making sense if you don't listen to the podcast.
And hey... thanks.
Someone once said that life is a journey. This is true. Life is a long, strange, twisting road to a destination that we cannot hope to imagine.
Welcome to Night Vale.
[theme song plays]
Listeners--
Well, I was going to report on the strange illness affecting some of our townspeople, but one of the station interns is approaching. She looks concerned.
Yes? What is it?
Listeners, Intern Leanne tells me that she has a peculiar itch on the back of her neck. It has been there for several days, she says, and it is not only on the surface of her skin, but deep beneath it, invading her muscles and veins and sending deep, stabbing pains to her very bones.
This is probably nothing to worry about. You know what? I bet the Sheriff’s secret police are running tests on the tracking devices they have planted deep beneath our skin again! As all of you know, they regularly send an electronic pulse through these tiny, computerized chips, just to make sure they’re working. This is completely ordinary, though it can cause a little pain and itching if you’re not used to it.
See, Intern Leanne? This isn’t even news! Everyone experiences some unbearable itching and agonizing pain from time to time, but you don’t hear us complaining about it.
More importantly, a mysterious illness has been noticed in Night Vale. This illness has infected several baristas in the Barista District, causing mustaches to twist in strange, horrible patterns and knitted ties to become stained red with blood. It seems to take the form of a rash that causes flesh to become mangled in bizarre and terrifying ways.
Many citizens have been doing what we all must do when we see a sick person… that is, screaming and locking them in the nearest basement! Good for them, I say. It’s always hard to be a Good Samaritan in troubling times like these, but these citizens have risen to the task.
In other news, as citizens die of the Rash, several dark, shadowy figures have been spotted hovering nearby. These are different from the dark, shadowy figures we normally see out of the corners of our eyes, which are either the Faceless Old Woman who secretly lives in your home, members of the Sheriff’s Secret Police, or hallucinations created by our own fevered minds. These shades seem far more hostile. They watch us with bright eyes, pale in the midst of their great darkness, like black stains upon our bright desert air. They watch us in silence, waiting.
Meanwhile, the illness seems to have spread to several more people. Some of the baristas who were infected first have started to change, morphing into twisted, broken, horrifying creatures.... more so than usual, I mean. They pound on basement doors, screeching, nails scratching at the wood. We don’t know how long our basements will hold them, but we must hope it will be long enough.
Former mayor Pamela Winchell has called an emergency press conference in response to this impending disaster. “It’s not that bad,” she insisted, strapping a green gas mask over her face. “It’s just like the last few mutant problems we’ve had. We’ll be fine if we follow the City Council’s Apocalyptic Plague Protocol.”
The City Council’s Apocalyptic Plague Protocol is, of course, inscribed on the front teeth of every Night Vale citizen. To view it, open your mouth and look in a mirror, or ask your dentist to read it for you. I attempted to reach the City Council itself for comments, but merely received a message that the Councilmembers have gone on vacation to Antarctica for an indefinite amount of time. “Call us when you solve the Rash problem,” said the message, which had been carved on the inside of my shoes.
Pamela also said that the shadowy figures in the Abandonded Lot District were probably a more aggressive form of ghost and therefore nothing to worry about. Every child learns Advanced Spirit Banishing in kindergarten. Night Vale would have a very poor school system indeed if they didn’t.
Listeners, the illness is transforming citizens all over town. Normally, some terrifying force invades Night Vale from the outside, but this is different. These are our friends and our family who hunger for our flesh and rip at out basement walls. We are well defended against outsiders, dear listeners, but today we are not fighting outsiders. We are changing, Night Vale, we are changing terribly, and I am afraid...
Intern Leanne is complaining about her itch again. She is shouting from the other room. She is screaming. She is shrieking garbled words in a choked, half-human voice.
[crashing noises]
Listeners, Intern Leanne is tearing through the station. I fear she has become something horrible… something inhuman, twisted, and unimaginable. Even know I can hear the slap of mangled appendages and the snap of bones. She is coming, dear listeners, she is coming this way, and now, fearing for my life and for all our lives, I take you… to the weather!
[Music plays.]
Instead of rushing towards me, the thing that was once Intern Leanne barreled headlong into the bathroom, where it met Khoshekh and his many kittens, who, sensing danger, puffed up their adorable little spine ridges to defend their home. The creature that was once Intern Leanne was no match for these brave, blessed felines, and though the station’s floor is soaked in blood and viscera, the danger here has passed. Intern Derek, who is wearing one of the station’s many gas masks, is mopping it all up. Good job, Intern Derek.
Which reminds me: To the friends and family of Intern Leanne… loss, valued member of our community, et cetera. I’m sure you know the drill.
Even now, I am getting reports that the Sherriff’s Secret Police, aided by a vague yet menacing government agency, have successfully overpowered the other mutants. They have carted the creatures off to wherever the people who vanish forever in the middle of the night go, where they will trouble our town no more.
Surprisingly, the shadowy figures were banished before our brave local kindergarteners were given a chance to try! A tall being named Erika informed me that they and their compatriots, who were certainly not angels, had taken care of it. “Those were just ghosts. Or whatever,” Erika told me.
Once more, our town has been saved. Perhaps we should not focus on the hardship we underwent today, but the courage and strength our citizens showed in overcoming it. Once more, we have triumphed. We have proved, yet again, that we will stand strong in the face of an uncaring universe.
Stay tuned next for the sound of a nonexistent river rushing along a riverbed that has been dry for centuries, and as always, good night, Night Vale. Good night.

I can totally see this being a Night Vale episode.
Survived: Chapters: :chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:
Books: :book3: :book4:

I wrote a thing. It has consumed my life.

Reigning champion of time spent on this forum.

Pupunen

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
« Reply #2900 on: January 25, 2017, 02:46:29 PM »
And hey... thanks.
Welcome to Night Vale.
[theme song plays]
Listeners--
Yes? What is it?
[crashing noises]
[Music plays.]

I love this!  :D

And wavewright62, that fic about six-year-old Sigrun was one of my favourites in the exchange, absolutely hilarious!

Here are my own Silent Night contributions:

Favourites, a Sigrun/Tuuri story set at the end of chapter 10.

Far from the treacherous world, in which Onni performs a funeral ritual.

Also, I wrote this Reynir/Onni fic a while back but I don't think I ever got around to posting it here.
Native: :finland:
Fluent: :sweden: :uk:
Good: :italy:
Understand but don't speak: :denmark: :norway:
Basics: :russia: :wales: :iceland: :vaticancity:

:chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15:

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #2901 on: January 25, 2017, 02:53:12 PM »
I love this!  :D

And wavewright62, that fic about six-year-old Sigrun was one of my favourites in the exchange, absolutely hilarious!

Here are my own Silent Night contributions:

Favourites, a Sigrun/Tuuri story set at the end of chapter 10.

Far from the treacherous world, in which Onni performs a funeral ritual.

Also, I wrote this Reynir/Onni fic a while back but I don't think I ever got around to posting it here.

Awww, thank you!  I really liked Far from the Treacherous World, too.  I should have guessed that a native Finn wrote that one, as I felt that forest very keenly.

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)

LooNEY_DAC

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #2902 on: January 26, 2017, 08:42:06 PM »
Bent and Twisted
A “Stand Still. Stay Silent”/“Avatar: the Last Airbender” crossover fanfic
Part 11
Complete Links to Complete Links post
Prior part
Spoiler: The First Book of Chronicles • show
The great mass of the Air Temple noiselessly hovered above the vehicle sheltering the Exiles. Lalli knew it was there and who rode within its halls, but it was not relevant to his primary concern at the moment, which was Sigrun and Emil, who still weren’t back.

...Oh. There they were just now, dragging a bear as best as they could. Emil’s eyes looked suspiciously red, but that could just be from the strain of the dragging.

Lalli rolled his eyes at his own Onni-esque excuse-making. No, Emil had been crying; but unless Emil wanted to tell Lalli about it, Lalli wouldn’t press him to.

Suddenly, a fierce gust of wind caught the carcass, lifting it from the bearers’ grasp and setting it down almost daintily by the vehicle’s door. “I hope you will excuse the presumption,” a voice called out in the Gnorr tongue from the Temple.

“Uncle Trond!” Sigrun exclaimed in surprise. “What are you doing here?”

The elderly Gnorr Air-Bender slowly floated down to meet the two as they scrambled back to the vehicle. “‘Hither have the winds of Fate borne me; hence shall they send me, I know not when.’”

Sigrun guffawed. “Oh, yes, Uncle Trond: your comings and goings are just as random and unpredictable as the Lady Moon’s phases.”

“I can see you’re just as unlearned in Air Nomad culture as ever,” Trond replied. “Despite the ignorant editorializing, it is good to see you again, Sigrun.”

Onni had descended alongside Trond. With a sharp signal to Lalli, the younger Air-Bender went into the vehicle, and Lalli followed.

“Come with me, Sigrun. You as well, Emil Ex-Västerström; we have much to discuss, whether you can understand it or not.” Trond lifted them up to the floating mass that loomed over them.

They went down a confusing series of hallways to a fairly small chamber which held at the far wall a Portal.

“Wait, what’s this, Uncle Trond?” Sigrun asked in alarm.

“It is one of the few remaining Portals to the Spirit World that can be accessed without risking the Silent Lands,” Trond replied calmly. “It moves with this Temple, but stays stationary in the Spirit World. My parents helped your grandparents to fashion it, and other and greater things, like...”

“The Girdle of Dalsnes,” Sigrun finished for him. “The greatest feat of Earth-Bending ever.”

“It could not have been made without the others,” Trond told her pointedly. “It is their tale that I have brought you here to hear.

“They were known ever after as the Dalsnes Four; so are they known even to this day...”

NINETY YEARS EARLIER...

The blast of wind lifted the grossling and smashed it hard against one of the fjord’s high walls. Just for good measure, the wind-wave repeated the smashing two or three times more.

“I’m not sure you killed it enough, Gøran,” Aksel Eide joked to his team-mate, Gøran Andersen, but both Fire- and Air-Bender alike gasped in horror when the thing slowly picked itself up again.

Rain began to lash the thing as Gøran blew it back into the sky, the precipitate precipitation courtesy Ingrid Petersen, the Water-Bender on their team. Aksel set his jaw and called forth the lightning over and over again, until the thing had been practically incinerated.

A troll had closed in on Aksel from behind without his noticing it, but just as it was about to strike, a pinnacle of rock impaled it, the sharp tip just protruding from the top of its skull.

Sigrun Larsen, Earth-Bender, was not about to let Aksel get killed on her watch.

“They just keep coming without end,” Aksel remarked. “If we can’t find a way to block them, eventually they will get through.”

“I’ve been meditating on the idea,” Sigrun said, “and a Spirit came by and gave me the answer, but it’ll take all four of us to do it.”

Aksel made a face. “Can the newbies handle this long enough for us to get it done, Gøran?”

The Air-Bender made a face. “They’ll have to at some point, if we ever want to sleep again,” he pointed out. “Why not now?”

“We need to get to Wan’s Peak,” Sigrun told the others once that had been sorted. “I know you don’t like being used as a taxi, Gøran, but time is of the essence now.”

So they went, Sigrun pointing out the cave they would need to enter. There, deep within the mountain towering over Dalsnes, Sigrun formed the Girdle, a giant Ring that would keep Dalsnes safe for all time to come; but she could not bring it to life by herself.

Ingrid took Gøran’s hand in hers; Gøran took Sigrun’s hand; Sigrun raised her free palm to Aksel, and flames arose from it. “Take the Fire from my hand, Aksel,” she commanded.

Aksel took hold of the flame rising from Sigrun’s palm and felt his Bending return. In a blinding display, he poured Energy--the combined chi from four heterogenous Benders--into the waiting Girdle, until it burst into dazzling, coruscating radiance.

“Now,” Trond said at last, “I must seek out the knowledge that shall enable the next part of your Quest.”

Sigrun frowned. “We aren’t on any Quest, Uncle Trond,” she protested.

“Why else would your team have come together as they have, were it not that the Quest has willed it so?” The old man smiled that little smile of his that said, ‘I know your deepest and darkest secrets, and I shall use that knowledge for my purposes’. “Your time shall come soon, Sigrun. Be ready for my return.” He turned to face the Portal, but paused. “Oh, and Emil: Onni should be bringing Lalli to join you shortly; it is vital that he do so, and that you are still here then.”

Trond passed through the portal and into the Spirit World...

Spoiler: Authorial Notes • show
And here begins the New Plot that will carry this little tale through until its end. The next part should drop within 24ish hours.

...Also, Sunflower and others should start looking to see just which sources I’m blatantly ripping off homaging here and in the rest.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 02:28:28 PM by LooNEY_DAC »

Kiraly

• Tumblr
  • SSSSinnamon roll
  • Preferred pronouns: she, her, etc.
« Reply #2903 on: January 26, 2017, 11:40:45 PM »
I...kinda forgot to put my Silent Night fics in here...and I'm still not going to, because all I have the energy for right now is dropping off this fic I wrote tonight to get out some of the Feelings caused by page 666.

Stupid, Useless Things. Mostly Lalli angst, cat-holding, and a little bit of Emil/Lalli if you squint.
Languages: :usa: (native) :mexico: (conversational but out of practice) :germany: (attempting to learn)
Survivor: :artd::book1+::chap6::chap7::chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21:

LooNEY_DAC

• DeviantArt
« Reply #2904 on: January 27, 2017, 02:49:49 AM »
Alphabet Soup
A “Stand Still. Stay Silent” fanfic collection
Series 1, Part 1
Spoiler: An After-Dinner Chat • show
“So, Mikkel.”

“...”

“Miiiiiikelllllllllllllllll.”

“Mphrm.”

“Mikkel Mikkel MIKKEL Mikkel Mikkel.”

“...Yes?”

“Sorry to bust you out of your mutinist plans, but we need to talk about something.”

“...”

“...”

“...And that something is?”

“The squirrel.”

“Ah. That.”

“Yep.”

“...”

“Now, don’t get me wrong: I think it’s great that you’re getting meat for the pot and all, but could you at least skin the next one?”

“If I’m allowed to, certainly.”

“???”

“In any case, I thought you were hoping to run across some more of those deer.”

“Wwwwwwelllllllllllllll...”

“...”

“...I sorta reconsidered that.”

“And what prompted that minor miracle, pray tell?”

“Emil threw up the last time we gutted one.”

“A natural enough response for a city boy seeing his first dressing; I shouldn’t think it’ll happen again, and I see no reason for that to hinder your pursuit of additional provender.”

“Neither would I, except Twigs came over and glared at me with those weird cat eyes he has.”

“Mmm?”

“Well, you may not believe in mages, but I’ve been around enough of ’em to know that you reallllllllly don’t want to be on one’s bad side.”

“I can see that that would be a less-than-desirable circumstance in which to find oneself; however, would not any potential ire be appeased by acclimating our young Swede to the dressing out process and letting his Finn friend see that it no longer bothers him?”

“Not unless we stop somewhere long enough to set up some snares; we probably won’t luck out enough to find another Kastellet on the way to Odense.”

“...”

“...”

“...Would not the snares attract grosslings as well?”

“That’s the best part of setting snares: nabbing a few grosslings clueless enough to go for free meat!”

“Ah.”

“Yep.”

“Do you think Emil will enjoy that any more than the other kills he’s racked up so far?”

“Nah, but he won’t shy away from ’em, either, as his current kill count shows. He knows it’s putting them out of their misery.”

“...”

“?”

“...If you say so.”

“I do, as I know him rather better than you do. He talks to me more than he does to you.”

“Hmmm.”

“You just got off on the wrong foot with him ‘cause you trusted all that rot-gut that was in his files.”

“...Yes. I’m sure it was all just rot-gut.”

“All that ‘scholastic assessment’ stuff doesn’t say beans about how you’ll do under fire--nor have I ever seen one that takes a kind heart into account, or anything else worth anything: just ‘name this’ and ‘date that’, as if that was the end-all be-all of life.”

“Mrh.”

“Besides, if this little trip’s taught me anything, it’s that the Swedes don’t know beans about how to handle a kid like Emil.”

“...Actually, there we agree.”

“Good. And I really hate to think what they’d do if they found someone like Skinny on their hands.”

“The mind boggles.”

“No, the gorge rises, as does the choler. And speaking of rising gorges, can I get a less equivocal answer on the squirrel question?”

Series 1 of this collection features titles which start with the indefinite article, “A/An”.

So, I finally began the challenge everyone else started a week or so ago, even though I was the one who announced it, with this little dialogue. Well, hopefully this will distract from the Minna Sundberg Feels-Pounding Special of the last few pages.

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #2905 on: January 27, 2017, 03:08:45 AM »
LooNEY, I like this. Twigs glaring at her for upsetting Emil. And I do agree about the education thing - marks are not a reliable indicator of either skills or nature. Memory, yes, and the ability to regurgitate facts. Emil is more than the sum of his academic results.

Kiraly: I didn't go into much detail in my comments, because today is even busier than Fridays normally are for me (the usual prep for tomorrow's Farmers Market, plus a whole lot of extra flowers to pick and bunch because tomorrow is the fifth birthday of our market, so hundreds of extra people, a celebrity chef, etc etc etc. plus the first day of harvest for rosehips and goji berries. Chaos.) however, the story was just beautiful. Thank you.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #2906 on: January 27, 2017, 06:19:39 PM »
Alphabet Soup
A “Stand Still. Stay Silent” fanfic collection
Series 1, Part 1
Spoiler: An After-Dinner Chat • show
“So, Mikkel.”

“...”

“Miiiiiikelllllllllllllllll.”

“Mphrm.”

“Mikkel Mikkel MIKKEL Mikkel Mikkel.”

“...Yes?”

“Sorry to bust you out of your mutinist plans, but we need to talk about something.”

“...”

“...”

“...And that something is?”

“The squirrel.”

“Ah. That.”

“Yep.”

“...”

“Now, don’t get me wrong: I think it’s great that you’re getting meat for the pot and all, but could you at least skin the next one?”

“If I’m allowed to, certainly.”

“???”

“In any case, I thought you were hoping to run across some more of those deer.”

“Wwwwwwelllllllllllllll...”

“...”

“...I sorta reconsidered that.”

“And what prompted that minor miracle, pray tell?”

“Emil threw up the last time we gutted one.”

“A natural enough response for a city boy seeing his first dressing; I shouldn’t think it’ll happen again, and I see no reason for that to hinder your pursuit of additional provender.”

“Neither would I, except Twigs came over and glared at me with those weird cat eyes he has.”

“Mmm?”

“Well, you may not believe in mages, but I’ve been around enough of ’em to know that you reallllllllly don’t want to be on one’s bad side.”

“I can see that that would be a less-than-desirable circumstance in which to find oneself; however, would not any potential ire be appeased by acclimating our young Swede to the dressing out process and letting his Finn friend see that it no longer bothers him?”

“Not unless we stop somewhere long enough to set up some snares; we probably won’t luck out enough to find another Kastellet on the way to Odense.”

“...”

“...”

“...Would not the snares attract grosslings as well?”

“That’s the best part of setting snares: nabbing a few grosslings clueless enough to go for free meat!”

“Ah.”

“Yep.”

“Do you think Emil will enjoy that any more than the other kills he’s racked up so far?”

“Nah, but he won’t shy away from ’em, either, as his current kill count shows. He knows it’s putting them out of their misery.”

“...”

“?”

“...If you say so.”

“I do, as I know him rather better than you do. He talks to me more than he does to you.”

“Hmmm.”

“You just got off on the wrong foot with him ‘cause you trusted all that rot-gut that was in his files.”

“...Yes. I’m sure it was all just rot-gut.”

“All that ‘scholastic assessment’ stuff doesn’t say beans about how you’ll do under fire--nor have I ever seen one that takes a kind heart into account, or anything else worth anything: just ‘name this’ and ‘date that’, as if that was the end-all be-all of life.”

“Mrh.”

“Besides, if this little trip’s taught me anything, it’s that the Swedes don’t know beans about how to handle a kid like Emil.”

“...Actually, there we agree.”

“Good. And I really hate to think what they’d do if they found someone like Skinny on their hands.”

“The mind boggles.”

“No, the gorge rises, as does the choler. And speaking of rising gorges, can I get a less equivocal answer on the squirrel question?”

Series 1 of this collection features titles which start with the indefinite article, “A/An”.

So, I finally began the challenge everyone else started a week or so ago, even though I was the one who announced it, with this little dialogue. Well, hopefully this will distract from the Minna Sundberg Feels-Pounding Special of the last few pages.

Yay, and you're away!  Yes, about those squirrels.  Hrm.  Even a kind heart will go for the protein if they have to.  (Only niggle: would Sigrun use a word like 'equivocal'?)

Do you reckon you should set up an official collection for the Alphabet Soup on AO3?

LooNEY_DAC

• DeviantArt
« Reply #2907 on: January 27, 2017, 06:44:37 PM »
Yay, and you're away!  Yes, about those squirrels.  Hrm.  Even a kind heart will go for the protein if they have to.  (Only niggle: would Sigrun use a word like 'equivocal'?)
She would if she were mocking Mikkel's highfalutin' speechifying.
Do you reckon you should set up an official collection for the Alphabet Soup on AO3?
Done.

Silent

• I don't know how I'm still sane
« Reply #2908 on: January 27, 2017, 07:17:17 PM »
And hey... thanks.
Welcome to Night Vale.
[theme song plays]
Listeners--
Yes? What is it?
[crashing noises]
[Music plays.]

I even read it in in his voice, great job!

LooNEY_DAC

• DeviantArt
« Reply #2909 on: January 27, 2017, 07:21:31 PM »
*Is about an hour early*
*Posts anyway*

Bent and Twisted
A “Stand Still. Stay Silent”/“Avatar: the Last Airbender” crossover fanfic
Part 12
Prior part
Spoiler: Acts • show
The Death-Shades clustered thick around the cavern that Trond sought, deep in the shifting twists of the Spirit World. He set them to an all too temporary flight before turning his attention to the granite mass.

“Aunt Sigrun!” Trond called. “Open your fastness for an old friend!” Then he muttered in an aside, “Well, that could never be misinterpreted in several amusing ways, could it?”

“Who calls upon me in such familiar manner?” The voice was strong and vibrant. It was the voice of a strong, vibrant and fearless woman, a voice that Trond knew well despite not having heard it for well over twenty years.

“It is I, Trond, son of Gøran and Ingrid!” A pause. “You know, the best friends you had to whom you weren’t married!”

With a rumble of stone upon stone, an opening appeared. “Well don’t just stand there, you jerk! Get a move on in!” Trond made haste to go through it, while a tenuous, barely visible membrane held back the Death-Shades.

Within was a place of rare beauty. The Elder Sigrun Eide had evidently spent her time in the Spirit World to create delicate crystalline figurine and other such bits, and in such numbers that Trond wondered if the door trick were truly the only bit of her legendary Earth-Bending that she had managed to retain upon her ascension to the Spirit World.

But when Trond finally gazed upon the Elder Sigrun, all these thoughts flew from his mind, and he was a teenager again, staring at the vision who had been his first crush so many years before. After a long moment, he managed to hobble over whither she awaited him.

The Elder Sigrun cupped Trond’s cheek fondly. “Little Trond, now grown old and proud.” She closed her eyes for a moment, recalling days long past.

“I have come on behalf of your namesake and heiress,” Trond said, remembering his purpose at last. “And yes, she is quite as foolhardy and insane as you ever were. The time is at hand for the Return of the Avatar, and for that, we must create a new Portal, so it’s time to get creaking back to the Mortal World.”

“I cannot return to the Mortal World with you,” Sigrun said calmly. “Nor can I possess even my great-granddaughter’s body: I am bound to this place, and the only way I may leave is by a second death.”

“But only you can create the Portal we need; none other has had that mastery of Earth-Bending, before or since,” Trond argued. “You must return with me, and save the world once more.”

“Blah, blah, blah. Don’t get yourself all worked up about it, Trond; I whipped something up to get around our little problem long ago.” While Trond was speaking, the Elder Sigrun had turned to a pedestal upon which rested a glowing necklace whose equal Trond had never seen. She picked up this necklace and stared at the glowing stones in her hands. “Behold, the Shiny!” Then she grew serious. “I have poured all my knowledge and craft into these stones; once she wears them, my heiress will have all my skills at her command. So much of me is in them, though, that I shall not possess the strength to stave off the Death-Shades for long once you depart with them.”

This was decidedly enough to disturb even Trond’s vaunted equipoise. At his look of dismay, Sigrun smiled sadly.

“Sometimes, the great purpose of your life is to enable another to fulfill their own even greater purpose,” she said. “It is my ‘life’ to give, and I give it to the woman who bears my name.” With this, she thrust the jewels at Trond and flung the portal wide.

The Death-Shades immediately flooded the room, but a brilliant radiance pushed them back against the walls. Trond knew its source, so did not stop to look back but sprinted out, bearing the necklace.

He would not fly: he needed all his power to keep the Death-Shades at bay; and even then, it might not suffice.

“NO!” The demented scream was only barely recognizable as female, and certainly it had not come from Sigrun. So powerful was it, though, that Trond checked for a moment in stunned horror, and that was when the lead Death-Shade caught up to him.

Trond fought vigorously, but the Death-Shade had latched on to Trond unshakably and was swiftly draining him. Just as Trond’s vision had started to blur around the edges, a quartet of shining figures fell upon the Death-Shade, breaking Trond free of its ghoulish grasp. For a moment, he blinked at the sight of the Dalsnes Four fighting their last hopeless battle as more Death-Shades piled in, but then Trond turned and fled for the portal with the necklace that would help to save the worlds.

Trond had been horribly weakened, and the portal was quite a distance. After a depressingly brief period, the Death-Shades reappeared at the edges of Trond’s failing perception, slowly drawing closer in anticipation of the kill.

Trond knew that nothing mattered now so much as speed. Without repining or hesitation, he began to run as hard as he could, feeling his chest tighten with every step.

At last, barely able to move now, Trond tottered out into the temple, the portal shattering behind him. “SIGRUN!” he bellowed with what little strength he had left...

Any guesses on today’s source yet? I think I’ve made it pretty obvious.

“Go now. Save the other Lyssa.”
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 02:33:46 PM by LooNEY_DAC »