Author Topic: The SSSS Scriptorium  (Read 780237 times)

Buteo

• Ranger
Re: The SSSS Scriptorium
« Reply #2670 on: October 09, 2016, 09:19:04 PM »
LooNEY, I had forgotten about that particular conceit. So happy you followed up and included it in one of your great stories!

Tr, what a great illustration!

I'm just going to sit here, reread the whole RHL story again, and giggle happily to myself....

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #2671 on: October 10, 2016, 03:12:12 AM »
Bwahahahah! LooNEY, that's so funny! Do go on.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

LooNEY_DAC

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #2672 on: October 10, 2016, 05:56:05 PM »
Slightly more serious…

Bent and Twisted
A “Stand Still. Stay Silent”/“Avatar: the Last Airbender” crossover fanfic
Part 5
Complete Links to Complete Links post
Prior part
Spoiler: Deuteronomy • show
THE FIRST RULE
for survival outside the safe areas

If you come across
a Beast, a Troll or a Giant
do not run or call for help
but
stand still and stay silent.
It might go away.

The poster was old, ragged and weathered, but still legible. Apart from that, it looked like any number of posters just like it that Sigrun had seen since her childhood.

But it had been over six weeks--forty-five full interminable days of fighting and hiding and fighting again--since their Exile, and the relative abundance of forage showed they were almost certainly farther from the Safe Areas than any had been for decades, so whence had this poster come?

The “safe haven” of the lighthouse had been an obvious trap, but there were no such claims on this poster, and certainly no specific location mentioned.

Was this just another trap, albeit a far more subtle trap than any they’d chanced upon so far? Or was this a sign that others had passed this way before--and survived?

Sometimes, Benders (of whatever sort) start believing themselves invulnerable. The more powerful the Bender, the more likely this is to happen.

The Reaving likes showing those who think themselves invulnerable just how wrong they are.

Sigrun had found this out on more than one occasion, both directly and by observation. However, Emil, her right-hand warrior and burning battle buddy, would probably never learn this particular lesson except by observation, if Sigrun was right in how she’d sized him up.

While Emil was a very, VERY powerful Fire-Bender, his power incontinence frightened him, which led to more awkwardness, stress, and uncontrolled outbursts. Sigrun had seen not a few cases like his back in her hometown, though Emil’s was about the worst, and most maltreated. Those Svensk who’d tried to take him in hand must have just been idiots; simply being in company with her and Lalli for these forty-five days had already brought Emil’s outbursts down substantially. He’d almost stopped flinching like he expected to be hit each time he involuntarily lit something ablaze, too.

On the other hand, there was Lalli. Tuuri had been helping him (and Reynir) to learn some basic Svensk so that he could talk to the others without having to have her around, and as Sigrun watched and listened to him, she thought she could see the kind of pride in him that would invariably lead to the Reaving making him fall. Sigrun knew that she’d have to keep an eye out to try to minimize the damage when it happened.

Sigrun wasn’t quite aware that Lalli had already had his fall.

Lalli knew the Death-Shades were still tracking their little group, but he was still at a loss as to how to protect the others. Even the Braided Fool had been of more use in that regard than Lalli had at their first encounter, and only Onni’s intervention had kept all of them from dying.

Onni, being an Air-Bender rather than a Water-Bender, had naturally been unable to provide Lalli with any means or methods to combat the Death-Shades, but he had given Lalli a piece of advice that Lalli had taken to heart: “Seek out the Spirits of the old Mark of Denn. If any can aid you in combating the Death-Shades, they can.” But where to start?

Sigrun’s unsettling find marked the first hint Lalli had had of where they should look. If they went in the direction hinted at by where the sign was posted, and found other signs hinting the same, they might maybe possibly find where the Original Spirits of the old Mark had hidden themselves away. Then, Lalli would humbly come before them, prostrate himself, and beg their aid and tutelage. Only thus could he keep the others safe, and it might well cost him his life.

Sigrun had had to speak very carefully to avoid crushing Emil when she’d assigned him guard duty at the camp, but it was unavoidable. Mikkel claimed he could read a secret message in an old Dennish code hidden on the sign she’d found, so he had to come along, and Lalli was needed to suss out anything sinister lying in wait along their path, so Emil had to stay behind and watch over the “helpless babies”.

The three of them hadn’t been gone for more than ten minutes when the first of the Giant Horrors passed by the camp...

Spoiler: Authorial Notes • show
Gosh, I’m just resurrecting these old ones right and left, am I not? I’ll try to keep going on them.

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #2673 on: October 10, 2016, 06:21:45 PM »
Good! Please do.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Lazy8

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: Name only
« Reply #2674 on: October 14, 2016, 10:33:10 PM »
Nothing too original this time.

97. Safety First
:usa: native
:spain: comes back in an emergency
:vaticancity: rusty
:china: can usually manage to order food
:norway: can hold a basic conversation

:chap5: | :book2: | :book3: | :chap17: :chap18:

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #2675 on: October 15, 2016, 12:58:00 AM »
I've posted the next chapter in the Reynir / superhero AU, where Reynir finally finds his feet and leaves Helvetia behind.

http://archiveofourown.org/works/6610714/chapters/18981464
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

LooNEY_DAC

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #2676 on: October 15, 2016, 02:50:47 AM »
Immune: A Tale of Year Zero
A “Stand Still. Stay Silent” fanfic
Part 1
Prior part
Spoiler: A Tale of a Fateful Trip • show
“Our world is built upon a mountain of anguish. Once you stir it up, who can tell what you will find?”

Norwegian Cruise Lines cruise ship Norwegian Epic
Crew: 1724
Passengers: 3172
Days at sea: 9

The ‘Economy’ cabin was rather small, but being a ‘Disabled’ cabin helped a bit. They had managed to get the inside cabin at a reduced rate because people had grown increasingly superstitious over the last week or so, and no one wanted a berth on Deck 13.

The boy’s brow was furrowed as he read the English text aloud to the wheelchair-bound blind man beside him. “‘...I am Dickory Dock.’” Switching to their native tongue of Swedish, the boy opined to his father, “I don’t get it.”

“‘Who is “Dick Ory”?’” his father quoted in English.

“I still don’t get it.”

The man sighed. “Dickory Dock has been mocked for her name for so long that before the book even began, she was running away from it, and from the past that made Garson describe her as ‘haunted’. Now, in the final few paragraphs of the story, she’s embracing the name, even eager for Isaac Bickerstaffe to mock it, because it will make him happy.”

“Oh.”

The man let his son think on that silently for a bit before continuing, “Now, I’ll ask you the question Dickory asked herself earlier on: ‘What one word describes Garson?’”

The boy essayed a few answers, each capturing part of the complex character described in the book, but never quite epitomizing the artist.

Finally, the man told his son, “Not bad, but none quite right. It’s interesting that Dickory couldn’t quite think of it either, because it’s the same word that he chose to epitomize her: ‘haunted’.”

“Ohhhhhhhhhh,” the boy breathed in sudden understanding.

“Precisely. Garson is haunted by what his past actions wrought, and running away from his past as surely as Dickory was up until the end.” The man paused. “Do you remember ‘The Minister’s Black Veil’?” At his son’s soft affirmative, he continued, “That story and this book share many themes, primarily that we humans almost constantly use lies as masks and shields in order to hide away who we really are, but this book makes the point that the past will always come back in the end, no matter how adroit your lies. Thus, you should be who you are rather than who you think others want you to be, as shown by Julius Panzpresser and his Cookie.”

A sudden lurch as the storm outside battered the ship brought them back to the real world. Setting the book aside, the boy told his father, “I’ll go see if I can get us some food.”

“Hurry back, please,” his father said, putting his headphones on and starting his MP3 player.

They had been refused entry at the port of Granada, and every other port thereafter. This would have been less of a problem at the beginning of the cruise; however, Granada was the penultimate port of call, near the end of the cruise, and the provender would soon run thin.

Passengers and crew alike had reason to thank the captain’s foresight in taking aboard as much food and water as his ship would hold for this final run, but the victualing crisis was secondary in their minds to far worse tidings: the Rash was aboard.

It had only been three days now since Iceland had decided to close their borders, but even less paranoid nations wouldn’t accept a boatload of Rash cases in one of their ports. The captain had therefore decided to try to reach Norway, reasoning that their home port couldn’t refuse them. Whether he was right remained to be seen...

I mentioned in the ‘Books!’ thread that The Tattooed Potato and Other Clues, by Ellen Raskin, is one of my favorite YA books; hopefully, this minor bit of analysis partially shows why.

The cruise line, the itinerary and the ship are real; hopefully, they’ll forgive any forthcoming slander on their staff and/or facilities.

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #2677 on: October 15, 2016, 03:50:27 AM »
Immune: A Tale of Year Zero
A “Stand Still. Stay Silent” fanfic
Part 1
Prior part
Spoiler: A Tale of a Fateful Trip • show
“Our world is built upon a mountain of anguish. Once you stir it up, who can tell what you will find?”

Norwegian Cruise Lines cruise ship Norwegian Epic
Crew: 1724
Passengers: 3172
Days at sea: 9

The ‘Economy’ cabin was rather small, but being a ‘Disabled’ cabin helped a bit. They had managed to get the inside cabin at a reduced rate because people had grown increasingly superstitious over the last week or so, and no one wanted a berth on Deck 13.

The boy’s brow was furrowed as he read the English text aloud to the wheelchair-bound blind man beside him. “‘...I am Dickory Dock.’” Switching to their native tongue of Swedish, the boy opined to his father, “I don’t get it.”

“‘Who is “Dick Ory”?’” his father quoted in English.

“I still don’t get it.”

The man sighed. “Dickory Dock has been mocked for her name for so long that before the book even began, she was running away from it, and from the past that made Garson describe her as ‘haunted’. Now, in the final few paragraphs of the story, she’s embracing the name, even eager for Isaac Bickerstaffe to mock it, because it will make him happy.”

“Oh.”

The man let his son think on that silently for a bit before continuing, “Now, I’ll ask you the question Dickory asked herself earlier on: ‘What one word describes Garson?’”

The boy essayed a few answers, each capturing part of the complex character described in the book, but never quite epitomizing the artist.

Finally, the man told his son, “Not bad, but none quite right. It’s interesting that Dickory couldn’t quite think of it either, because it’s the same word that he chose to epitomize her: ‘haunted’.”

“Ohhhhhhhhhh,” the boy breathed in sudden understanding.

“Precisely. Garson is haunted by what his past actions wrought, and running away from his past as surely as Dickory was up until the end.” The man paused. “Do you remember ‘The Minister’s Black Veil’?” At his son’s soft affirmative, he continued, “That story and this book share many themes, primarily that we humans almost constantly use lies as masks and shields in order to hide away who we really are, but this book makes the point that the past will always come back in the end, no matter how adroit your lies. Thus, you should be who you are rather than who you think others want you to be, as shown by Julius Panzpresser and his Cookie.”

A sudden lurch as the storm outside battered the ship brought them back to the real world. Setting the book aside, the boy told his father, “I’ll go see if I can get us some food.”

“Hurry back, please,” his father said, putting his headphones on and starting his MP3 player.

They had been refused entry at the port of Granada, and every other port thereafter. This would have been less of a problem at the beginning of the cruise; however, Granada was the penultimate port of call, near the end of the cruise, and the provender would soon run thin.

Passengers and crew alike had reason to thank the captain’s foresight in taking aboard as much food and water as his ship would hold for this final run, but the victualing crisis was secondary in their minds to far worse tidings: the Rash was aboard.

It had only been three days now since Iceland had decided to close their borders, but even less paranoid nations wouldn’t accept a boatload of Rash cases in one of their ports. The captain had therefore decided to try to reach Norway, reasoning that their home port couldn’t refuse them. Whether he was right remained to be seen...

I mentioned in the ‘Books!’ thread that The Tattooed Potato and Other Clues, by Ellen Raskin, is one of my favorite YA books; hopefully, this minor bit of analysis partially shows why.

The cruise line, the itinerary and the ship are real; hopefully, they’ll forgive any forthcoming slander on their staff and/or facilities.

Fics aweigh!  This bodes well for us, not so much for your characters.

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)

Buteo

• Ranger
« Reply #2678 on: October 16, 2016, 02:37:30 AM »
LooNEY, thank you for continuing with "Immune." I've been looking forward to this!

Lazy8

• DeviantArt
« Reply #2679 on: October 19, 2016, 06:07:30 PM »
Allow me to present you with something silly, cause next chapter's gonna get dark again.

98. Puzzle
:china: can usually manage to order food
:norway: can hold a basic conversation

:chap5: | :book2: | :book3: | :chap17: :chap18:

Buteo

• Ranger
« Reply #2680 on: October 20, 2016, 05:07:04 PM »
Thank you, Lazy8! That is delightful!

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #2681 on: October 20, 2016, 05:41:06 PM »
I have an early update on the next chapter of the superhero AU fic, wherein Reynir has returned to Norway:
http://archiveofourown.org/works/6610714/chapters/19089766

I'm away for the long weekend, enjoy!

Buteo

• Ranger
« Reply #2682 on: October 21, 2016, 12:43:38 AM »
Have a good weekend, Wavewright!

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #2683 on: October 22, 2016, 08:35:35 PM »
Have a good weekend, Wavewright!
I am,  thank you, look for photos in the Picture thread Monday or Tuesday.

Lazy8

• DeviantArt
« Reply #2684 on: October 23, 2016, 01:04:56 AM »
Blame Elleth.

99. Solitude