Author Topic: The SSSS Scriptorium  (Read 780265 times)

Yuuago

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • Well, there's still hope in this world.
  • Preferred pronouns: He/etc
Re: The SSSS Scriptorium
« Reply #2580 on: September 10, 2016, 08:15:11 PM »
Now that we know what Ensi Hotakainen (AKA Grandma Hotakainen) looks like and what her name is, I decided to write something with her. < 3 Just something quick!

"On a Midnight Clear". 1k. 13+ for canon-typical violence. No pairings.
Summary: She's been tracking this thing for several nights. Now, she's finally found it.
Other details: #32, "Night", in the 100-fic challenge.
On Ao3: http://archiveofourown.org/works/8005276
On Dreamwidth: http://roesslyng.dreamwidth.org/75223.html
Journal | Tumblr | Fic Archive
Og kring meg i myrket/snøar og snøar det. - Olav H. Hauge

LooNEY_DAC

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #2581 on: September 10, 2016, 11:53:30 PM »
Mikkel’s Malmö Misadventures
A “Stand Still. Stay Silent” fanfic
Part 3
Complete Links to Complete Links post
Prior part
Spoiler: In Media Res • show
My name is Mikkel Madsen. I used to be a spy, until I decided to resign...

Most people, when confronted by a cypher-locked door in a research hospital bearing the legend “NO ENTRY”, would at least pause to reflect that there might be good reasons to stay out. Sigrun Eide was not one of those people. Her protégé, Emil Västerström, was, but he was standing watch outside while Sigrun, Mikkel and Lalli went in.

There was a soft click as the cypher-lock disengaged, Reynir’s computer skills triumphing over Sigrun’s hopes of just busting in like a whirlwind. This was the only conceivable way Reynir had of triumphing over Sigrun, but he still would have babbled out an apology if he’d known what he’d done.

Sigrun made to push the door open, but Lalli had already swept by her while she was raising her arm. Sigrun blinked and followed the swift Finn into the room, Mikkel bringing up the rear in his usual taciturn way.

It had all started with a phone call, of course. After Mikkel had delivered the item Trond had requested that he obtain to the place Trond had requested Mikkel to drop it off, a few uneventful but exceedingly tense days had gone by before Tuuri had received a call on the phone she thought no one knew the number to.

After destroying the phone, Tuuri let Mikkel know about their new job, or what little Trond had told her. Emil got another call from Trond a few minutes later, and Mikkel was able to get a little more out of the not-too-forthcoming old Norwegian.

In any event, there was something rotten in Malmö’s Clinical Research Centre, which was run by Lund University. Two days ago, part of the Centre had gone dark, and certain people were beginning to get a little concerned.

Biological weapons were comprehensively outlawed throughout the civilized world (which Trond seemed to view as the Norse nations and maybe Finland) with one crucial exception: in order to research cures and vaccines, active biological weapons were essential. Now, no one wanted to admit where or what research was being done, but one of the University Hospitals in the bustling city of Malmö, home to a large cross-section of Eurasian phenotypes, would be a plausible site for such defensive research.

Now, Trond didn’t state outright, “They were working with horrible diseases and somebody goofed, so they’re probably all dead”, but that was the general tone of his message. Mikkel and “his team” were to effect an entry into the affected portion of the Centre (which officially didn’t exist, which complicated things), assess the situation, and “take appropriate action”. Again, Trond didn’t say, “Kill anyone unfortunate enough to still be alive and torch the place so nothing can get out”, but that was the general tone lurking behind his phrase.

Why not the police? The military? Anyone else besides Mikkel and the five companions Fate had allotted to him? Well, this was the kind of delicate op that necessitated plausible deniability--uh, delicate handling “of the kind that you have such a good touch for”.

While Danish and Norwegian were mutually inter-comprehensible, it was amazing how much, er, translating talking with Trond always required.

Breaking into the ward that didn’t exist had been surprisingly easy, but it was what was awaiting them there that would prove the real surprise...

Spoiler: Authorial Notes • show
Oh, look. Another misadventure is about to begin.

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #2582 on: September 11, 2016, 05:42:11 AM »
I have also completed the next chapter of the superhero AU:
http://archiveofourown.org/works/6610714/chapters/18336223

Includes the crew getting their uniforms on before the end of the ride to Øresund, and Reynir getting in touch with his fylgja for the first time in this AU.  Hint: it's not a lot more helpful than in canon.
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

LooNEY_DAC

• DeviantArt
« Reply #2583 on: September 11, 2016, 03:48:22 PM »
Now that we know what Ensi Hotakainen (AKA Grandma Hotakainen) looks like and what her name is, I decided to write something with her. < 3 Just something quick!

"On a Midnight Clear". 1k. 13+ for canon-typical violence. No pairings.
Summary: She's been tracking this thing for several nights. Now, she's finally found it.
Other details: #32, "Night", in the 100-fic challenge.
On Ao3: http://archiveofourown.org/works/8005276
On Dreamwidth: http://roesslyng.dreamwidth.org/75223.html
I seem to have neglected to commemorate this as…

THE 350TH AO3 SSSS FIC!!!!!!

Also…

The Good, the Bad, and the Bestial
A “Stand Still. Stay Silent”/Western crossover fanfic
Part 27
Caper the 4th: The Madsen Connection
Part 2
Prior part
Spoiler: Connections Good and Bad • show
Wow. This guy was such a bad liar that even Reynir wasn’t buying it.

Eventually, Sigrun had Emil put the guy in a headlock just to see if that would get him to stop lying, while Lalli casually waved his knife in various figures an inch or two from the liar’s face.

“Jimmy,” Mikkel said heavily, “when you got that abscess and I took care of it for you, I never thought you’d turn on me this way when I asked for a favor. Is this your gratitude?” He sighed. “Now, you can either stop lying to us and tell me who put you up to this and why, or...” Mikkel glanced at the knife. “...Well, I’m sure you can figure for yourself what’ll happen if you keep trying to con us.”

‘Jimmy’ swallowed, his eyes following the knife as Lalli brought it back and forth and around...

The journey was taking as long as Lalli Ghost-of-Forest had predicted, so there was plenty of time to contemplate what they’d been told. Emil and Lalli were each adamant that they hadn’t learned the whole story. While the boys agreed that Trond might be amenable to ratting them out for the right price, Lalli maintained the probity of Taru Walks-the-World, as did Emil for his aunt and uncle.

Fortunately, not nearly all of Mikkel’s “useful connections” on the way to Milwaukee were so treacherous. Unfortunately, the ones who were, were generally better liars than ‘Jimmy’ had been. The trip to Milwaukee thus proved fraught with peril at almost every turn, or, as Sigrun put it, “The most fun I’ve had in a while!”

Typical was the encounter they had at an old homestead around twenty miles from anywhere and thirty miles from anywhere important. Their erstwhile hosts had been all kindness in their welcoming, without a hint of what was to come. Fortunately (though the others wouldn’t have thought so at the time), Tuuri Face-Like-Baby had availed herself a little too freely of the liquor cabinet, and Reynir had joined her, so...

“THERE! NOW I SEE IT!”

When the men came with their rifles ready, they found Lalli Ghost-of-Forest and Emil Westbrook waiting. After that, there wasn’t much left of the homestead.

Not so typical, however, was their next stop, also twenty miles from anywhere, and also an old homestead with a seemingly warm welcome for them. A drugged dinner later, their hosts were discussing whether or not they should bother cooking up Lalli Ghost-of-Forest with the rest, as he was “all skin and bones”. A hatstand fashioned from femurs silently said this wasn’t the first time this had happened.

That time, only Sigrun’s native sense of ambush had saved them, and even there, she’d barely managed to load the others into the wagon and get them well away before succumbing herself.

Once they all were awake and Sigrun had filled them in on what had almost happened, Tuuri had wanted to go back and feed them a few of Emil’s Incendiary Delights, but Sigrun was adamant about not backtracking. “At least two of you would end up dying. Let’s avoid that this time, shall we?”

Nevertheless, all the action certainly seemed to whet Sigrun’s appetite for the coming confrontation with Trond and the others. Even Lalli took pause at the enthusiasm she displayed in her planning.

Her enthusiasm would not turn out to be wasted, though, in the end...

Well, aren’t Mikkel’s acquaintances eclectic.

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #2584 on: September 11, 2016, 11:19:17 PM »
I seem to have neglected to commemorate this as…

THE 350TH AO3 SSSS FIC!!!!!!

Also…

The Good, the Bad, and the Bestial
A “Stand Still. Stay Silent”/Western crossover fanfic
Part 27
Caper the 4th: The Madsen Connection
Part 2
Prior part
Spoiler: Connections Good and Bad • show
Wow. This guy was such a bad liar that even Reynir wasn’t buying it.

Eventually, Sigrun had Emil put the guy in a headlock just to see if that would get him to stop lying, while Lalli casually waved his knife in various figures an inch or two from the liar’s face.

“Jimmy,” Mikkel said heavily, “when you got that abscess and I took care of it for you, I never thought you’d turn on me this way when I asked for a favor. Is this your gratitude?” He sighed. “Now, you can either stop lying to us and tell me who put you up to this and why, or...” Mikkel glanced at the knife. “...Well, I’m sure you can figure for yourself what’ll happen if you keep trying to con us.”

‘Jimmy’ swallowed, his eyes following the knife as Lalli brought it back and forth and around...

The journey was taking as long as Lalli Ghost-of-Forest had predicted, so there was plenty of time to contemplate what they’d been told. Emil and Lalli were each adamant that they hadn’t learned the whole story. While the boys agreed that Trond might be amenable to ratting them out for the right price, Lalli maintained the probity of Taru Walks-the-World, as did Emil for his aunt and uncle.

Fortunately, not nearly all of Mikkel’s “useful connections” on the way to Milwaukee were so treacherous. Unfortunately, the ones who were, were generally better liars than ‘Jimmy’ had been. The trip to Milwaukee thus proved fraught with peril at almost every turn, or, as Sigrun put it, “The most fun I’ve had in a while!”

Typical was the encounter they had at an old homestead around twenty miles from anywhere and thirty miles from anywhere important. Their erstwhile hosts had been all kindness in their welcoming, without a hint of what was to come. Fortunately (though the others wouldn’t have thought so at the time), Tuuri Face-Like-Baby had availed herself a little too freely of the liquor cabinet, and Reynir had joined her, so...

“THERE! NOW I SEE IT!”

When the men came with their rifles ready, they found Lalli Ghost-of-Forest and Emil Westbrook waiting. After that, there wasn’t much left of the homestead.

Not so typical, however, was their next stop, also twenty miles from anywhere, and also an old homestead with a seemingly warm welcome for them. A drugged dinner later, their hosts were discussing whether or not they should bother cooking up Lalli Ghost-of-Forest with the rest, as he was “all skin and bones”. A hatstand fashioned from femurs silently said this wasn’t the first time this had happened.

That time, only Sigrun’s native sense of ambush had saved them, and even there, she’d barely managed to load the others into the wagon and get them well away before succumbing herself.

Once they all were awake and Sigrun had filled them in on what had almost happened, Tuuri had wanted to go back and feed them a few of Emil’s Incendiary Delights, but Sigrun was adamant about not backtracking. “At least two of you would end up dying. Let’s avoid that this time, shall we?”

Nevertheless, all the action certainly seemed to whet Sigrun’s appetite for the coming confrontation with Trond and the others. Even Lalli took pause at the enthusiasm she displayed in her planning.

Her enthusiasm would not turn out to be wasted, though, in the end...

Well, aren’t Mikkel’s acquaintances eclectic.

Huzzah!
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #2585 on: September 12, 2016, 01:59:54 AM »
Loud cheers!
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

OwlsG0

• I am occasionally scared by my own hair.
  • Preferred pronouns: She/She?/Human?/ Gender?
« Reply #2586 on: September 12, 2016, 08:13:46 AM »
44: Hate http://archiveofourown.org/works/6445972/chapters/18361804

My own contribution to the recent Ensi-craze. Watch out for themes of abandonment and grandmothers regretting life choices. Also, Emilalli
I saw the future.
We are not doomed, because our Cat overlords are benevolent leaders :3

:chap11: :book2:  :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16:

Basse

• Scout
  • I don't know what I'm doing!
« Reply #2587 on: September 12, 2016, 05:25:32 PM »
Lars challenged me to kill Emil, so I killed Emil. Here, have a story:
Title: Playful Giant
Summary: Emil is standing guard when he hears a weird voice inside the hospital

(Okay, he probably didn't really die)
(I'm actually not sure)
(But don't worry, I'm sure Sigrun's safe at least!)
Reading Lars comment made me think you would drop a piano on him but not this!
Native: :sweden:
:chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:
:book3:

Lazy8

• DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: Name only
« Reply #2588 on: September 12, 2016, 09:24:59 PM »
Lars challenged me to kill Emil, so I killed Emil. Here, have a story:
Title: Playful Giant
Summary: Emil is standing guard when he hears a weird voice inside the hospital

(Okay, he probably didn't really die)
(I'm actually not sure)
(But don't worry, I'm sure Sigrun's safe at least!)

Weeeeeeell, it's not so much that I didn't trust you to write it as I immediately thought of the forum's most (in)famous crack writer.

Also, welcome to Club "Let's Kill Our Favorite Character"! Felt kinda sorry for the poor giant, though. It just wanted to play...
:usa: native
:spain: comes back in an emergency
:vaticancity: rusty
:china: can usually manage to order food
:norway: can hold a basic conversation

:chap5: | :book2: | :book3: | :chap17: :chap18:

Windfighter

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Theologian of the Minnion Church
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #2589 on: September 13, 2016, 12:02:10 AM »
Reading Lars comment made me think you would drop a piano on him but not this!

haha, that would have been kinda funny! Sadly I'm not very good at writing funny :P

Weeeeeeell, it's not so much that I didn't trust you to write it as I immediately thought of the forum's most (in)famous crack writer.

Also, welcome to Club "Let's Kill Our Favorite Character"! Felt kinda sorry for the poor giant, though. It just wanted to play...

...wait, I've been killing Emil for like at least a year and I'm not welcome to the club until now? D: Forget it, I don't wanna join you guys ;|
...nooooo, wait, I wanna be with the cool kids, lemme join!
Fluent: :sweden:
Decent: :uk:
Phrases: :spain: / :japan:
:book1+:

My stories frequently features themes such as death, suicide, mourning, etc; I cannot give precise warnings for each individual stories, as it would spoil the intrigues.

Lazy8

• DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: Name only
« Reply #2590 on: September 13, 2016, 09:15:38 AM »
...wait, I've been killing Emil for like at least a year and I'm not welcome to the club until now? D: Forget it, I don't wanna join you guys ;|
...nooooo, wait, I wanna be with the cool kids, lemme join!

*stops*

*extracts foot from mouth*

...okay, let's try this again.

Congratulations, you have now received your VIP membership in the club.

*bows and walks away before I can say anything else stupid*
:usa: native
:spain: comes back in an emergency
:vaticancity: rusty
:china: can usually manage to order food
:norway: can hold a basic conversation

:chap5: | :book2: | :book3: | :chap17: :chap18:

ButterflyWings

• Retired Moderator
  • Scout
« Reply #2591 on: September 15, 2016, 09:45:07 AM »
Vignette - WIP

This is a small scene I am working on, it needs more details and possibly continuation as my dear character moves from Copenhagen to the hospital on the trail of the main characters in SSSS.

Spoiler: show

The water under the fort was green, scummy and smelled of human waste and worse. The lights would occasionally dim and then burn back with blinding phosphorescent white, bringing sharp finger shadows from the many concrete support pillars.

I moved carefully across the light, trying to keep myself low in the water. The light hurt me, and the shadows were just inky spots of terror. I gripped my rifle more carefully. The carefully scraping of the cross away on the rifle’s frame with a Thor’s hammer was distracting as it sparkled half submerged in this harsh light.

I heard the boots before I saw them. The soldiers in their crazy sharp uniforms tromping towards the scummy water. They were highlighted in the doorway, hesitating for a moment before, I slipped the safety off.

Eye to the iron sights as I put two shiny Swedish steel rounds into their pristine uniforms.

The rest halted momentarily before eagerly piling across their fallen comrades to get at me. 

The rifle hammered into my shoulder. I had broken something back there, and I could feel the scalpel blade like bone shards jabbing me. The metallic taste of blood and bile in mouth as I fired a tracer round into the head of one of the creatures.

Already I was reaching out with my left hand to swap out magazines. Magazines were rare, but my life was more precious. 150 rounds left in five magazines, 120 loose rounds and one bullet already in the chamber.

There were no guarantees how many more there would be and I need to make my rounds count. I continued walking backwards, back the way I had come. I fired more shots, but the creatures were already swarming past the doorway into the same chamber as me.

Swap out, safety off the grenade launcher as I raised it into the doorway and pulled the trigger. Despite my attempts to submerge myself the shockwave hit me with a tidal wave of force. There was all sorts of shards peppering me. I ignored them, as I swapped out to a pistol and moved forward.

The blinding light was less as the explosion must have knocked out the lights. The water was now fetid with chunks of creatures. I moved carefully forward trying not to think what I was stepping on. A creature with most of its flesh ripped off gripped on to me as I pulled its head out of the water.

The hair was once blond. The face and neck were covered in thick foundation. It’s eyebrows painted on above that. The uniform with its sharp angles looked like it had been ironed with the soldier inside. A loose silver cross around his neck showed that it once had been a human. All this I was thinking as I gripped it, covering its eyes as I put a bullet in its forehead.

The wailing from far off, like a spoiled child that had been denied its toys could be heard echoing around the facility. I gave a prayer to the departed as I moved on through the now cleared doorway.

I remember years ago walking through this tunnels, back when I was repelling the invasion of humanity back to Copenhagen. Then creatures such as the toymaker seemed more wholesome for we were bound by our need for safety and the protection of our city and its memories. Now seeing the creatures that it had created from the captured Scandinavian soldiers filled me with a deep seated sadness and hatred.

All around the facility were the signs of the last stand that was held. The bullet casings on the floors, the black blood stains against the walls. What are worse were the writings of hopelessness and insanity along those same walls and corridors.  Years ago my job was to deny the defenders their use of the armoury, let the horrors that come be theirs. Now I just wanted to cleanse this fortification.
Speaks some: Finnish, English, Old English, Russian, Dutch, Ancient Greek, Latin, Arabic, German, French, Spanish

W̕e ̀l̵i͠e o̡n bu͏t̡te͘r͞f͟ly҉ ͞win͏gs̸ ìn͝ ̶th́is g͟oss̸ame̵re͡d d̀ecay,͞ ͢st҉ŗi̵n̶g͝s͘ ͝t҉o ͜needles ͠pi͏ęr̨ci̡ng̨ th̀e fles͝h́
Yo̷ù ̨make͘ m͘e ͢st͞r҉i̸p ̨dowń t̷o͘ t͡h̛e͢ bone,͘ t̴h̴en s͟t̕ùm͠ble͘ i̧n my͢ ̕foot́s̡tep̷s ̸seek̨ing ́a̡bs͏o͞lut̛i͠on

OwlsG0

« Reply #2592 on: September 16, 2016, 08:45:21 AM »
Everybody is killing Emil right now. Come on, guys, usually we do this to Sigrun!

15: Silence http://archiveofourown.org/works/6445972/chapters/18438262

The lack of silence, that is. A look at the team dynamic when language barriers do not exist
I saw the future.

Rykka

« Reply #2593 on: September 16, 2016, 09:32:31 PM »
OwlsG0, your 100prompts fic needs some kind of summary table of contents thingy! After 95 chapters I am forever going "what was that one chapter with this person and the thing" and can never match it to the prompt name!  ;)

OwlsG0

« Reply #2594 on: September 16, 2016, 10:06:42 PM »
OwlsG0, your 100prompts fic needs some kind of summary table of contents thingy! After 95 chapters I am forever going "what was that one chapter with this person and the thing" and can never match it to the prompt name!  ;)

Oh believe me I know the struggle. There are only five prompts left to do, and I'm still struggling to figure out which prompts I have yet to fill. If there's one chapter you really want to find then feel free to shoot me a PM. I've almost got the whos and what's memorised after spending nearly five months working on this
I saw the future.