Author Topic: The SSSS Scriptorium  (Read 787116 times)

OwlsG0

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • I am occasionally scared by my own hair.
  • Preferred pronouns: She/She?/Human?/ Gender?
Re: The SSSS Scriptorium
« Reply #2535 on: August 30, 2016, 03:13:49 AM »
For some reason I keep getting the crazy urge to ramble at length about that gladiator!Sigrun AU I came up with a while back but will probably never get around to writing.

Spoiler: This got long • show

This is the way I originally envisioned the thing, as set in the actual ancient Roman Empire:

[list]
[li]Sigrun, Mikkel, and Emil are all slaves who were captured by the Empire, Sigrun at a very young age and Emil at the start of the story when he's closer to his canon age of 19. Sigrun is a gladiator and Emil soon enters the ring as well; Mikkel is a slave who's had some training in medicine.[/li]
[li]Despite having lived in the Empire since childhood, Sigrun's Latin is pretty much limited to "Ave, Imperator, morituri te salutant." She immediately latches onto Emil by virtue of him being one of the few people she can talk to. (Mikkel is perfectly fluent in Latin, thank you very much.)[/li]
[li]In canon, I'm convinced that Sigrun has severe untreated ADHD. In this AU, though, it's entirely possible that she's suffered from childhood lead poisoning from lead-lined Roman aqueducts, which can also cause learning disabilities. Mikkel, who knew better, avoided drinking any water that came from those pipes, and after he met Sigrun saw to it that she and Emil didn't drink the stuff either, but in her case the damage had already been done.[/li]
[li]There's not really a place for any of the Finns in this story, sorry. Reynir is around, though: he's the son of a wealthy Roman family who quickly picks Emil as a favorite once he enters the ring.[/li]
[li]...this story wants to be Emil/Reynir, because my muse hates me.[/li]
[li]Speaking of Emil, with Sigrun teaching him he eventually gets to the point where he can step into the ring and not die. When it finally hits him that this is supposed to involve actual killing, though, it does not go over well. First time ended with Sigrun pinning him after she won a round against him (facedown in the dirt, to keep him from dishonoring himself by screaming like a baby), and though he was too grateful to feel anything but relief after the crowd called for mercy, he later couldn't stop wondering whether she actually would have killed him if they'd instead given her the thumbs-up. The first time Emil has to make a kill or forfeit his own life, he was severely traumatized and refused to talk to Sigrun for days.[/li]
[li]Meanwhile, Sigrun (with Mikkel's help) has been fomenting a gladiator rebellion for some time now so she can be free to fight on her own terms, but Emil somehow provides the catalyst that pushes her into actually doing it. They pull it off and successfully escape into the wilderness while Rome is sacked, but somehow end up getting stuck with this utterly clueless civilian in tow...[/li]
[/list]

...yeah. I could have some fun writing this, but whether it will ever come about is another matter entirely...

yess......yeeees write all of this do it do it this would be awesome. If you can find the time, this is definitely an idea you should think about developing. Even the synopsis is super interesting!
I saw the future.
We are not doomed, because our Cat overlords are benevolent leaders :3

:chap11: :book2:  :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16:

Miriam

• Scout
  • Icon by HulluPunaKettu
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #2536 on: August 30, 2016, 05:33:05 AM »
Miriam, these last two fics are too cute!!! I love how the most recent one is all about respecting boundaries and finding ways to display affection that work for both of them. :))

Thank you!

My fanfic of today: Hug coupon.
Lalli wants to hug Emil but doesn't know how to initiate it. He gets an idea on how to communicate it.
Native: :netherlands:
Some. Enough.: :uk:
Special: :germany: :france:
:chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :book4: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

OwlsG0

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • I am occasionally scared by my own hair.
  • Preferred pronouns: She/She?/Human?/ Gender?
« Reply #2537 on: August 30, 2016, 10:49:14 AM »
89: Through the fire http://archiveofourown.org/works/6445972/chapters/18080782

One of Mikkel's leg is made of living tree from the knee down, for a reason slightly more sad than could have been predicted.
I saw the future.
We are not doomed, because our Cat overlords are benevolent leaders :3

:chap11: :book2:  :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16:

Solokov

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Live life, start chaos.
« Reply #2538 on: August 30, 2016, 03:37:34 PM »
Seriously we had no idea what we were doing writing a character optimistic enough to make book 1 sansa stark look like a giant cynic.
I'm a writer too,
writing things for you,
Mostly 'pocylyse things though, check out my story from the start, Blog with the Blastwave.
A relay of the /k/ signal corps.

Talimee

• Scout
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #2539 on: August 30, 2016, 04:49:35 PM »
Well, for better or for worse, Chapter 10 of 'The Khalasar of the Iron Tiger' is up. Please leave feedback, especially for this, as neither Solokov nor I had the slightest idea if he was in-character, being unused to writing optimistic characters.

I will write feedback, one of these days - but I'm still stuck in the Eddard-chapter. D: I liked the chapters so far, all in all I find it a bit strange that Khal Drogo and Daenerys are so nice and welcoming. I can't see the immediate benefit for them, but as this looks like it's going to be a looooong fic we will see eventually. (Or as soon as I find the time to read more. =/ ) More detailed comments on AO3 (eventually).

My fanfic of today: Hug coupon.
Lalli wants to hug Emil but doesn't know how to initiate it. He gets an idea on how to communicate it.

Very cute idea!
Somehow AO3 shows your stories at weird points on the site, so people just going through today's uploads won't see them. The latest for example is shown for the 27th of August. Oo

89: Through the fire http://archiveofourown.org/works/6445972/chapters/18080782
One of Mikkel's leg is made of living tree from the knee down, for a reason slightly more sad than could have been predicted.

This was funny, but also deeply disturbing. Very, very deeply disturbing. I'm with Emil there. Totally. *shivers out* *shivers back in* Disturbing.
[22:31] <@amity> And they care about only two things: Emil/Lalli fanfic, and chewing bubblegum.
[22:31] <@amity> And the word is, they're all out of bubblegum.

Survived:
:chap5::chap6::chap7: :chap20:
:chap8::chap9::chap10:
:chap11::chap12::chap13:
:chap14::chap15::chap16:
:chap17::chap18::chap19:

Solokov

« Reply #2540 on: August 30, 2016, 05:01:45 PM »
I will write feedback, one of these days - but I'm still stuck in the Eddard-chapter. D: I liked the chapters so far, all in all I find it a bit strange that Khal Drogo and Daenerys are so nice and welcoming. I can't see the immediate benefit for them, but as this looks like it's going to be a looooong fic we will see eventually. (Or as soon as I find the time to read more. =/ ) More detailed comments on AO3 (eventually)

Well... a tpk right at the first encounter would be a bad thing for story longevity... it's mainly why there's oc characters mixed in in the first place. It was either that or have danish or swedish be very much like westerosi or low valryian.
I'm a writer too,
writing things for you,
Mostly 'pocylyse things though, check out my story from the start, Blog with the Blastwave.

Talimee

• Scout
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #2541 on: August 30, 2016, 05:04:53 PM »
    • ...this story wants to be Emil/Reynir, because my muse hates me.

Audite resus mei!
    [22:31] <@amity> And they care about only two things: Emil/Lalli fanfic, and chewing bubblegum.

Survived:

Lazy8

• DeviantArt
    • Preferred pronouns: Name only
    « Reply #2542 on: August 30, 2016, 05:16:57 PM »
    Audite resus mei!

Hear my... something? (Here's a toast to my rusty, rusty high school Latin.)

*pulls up Google Translate*

*attempts to look up unknown word and realizes that it's still set to Norwegian for Reasons*

*sheepishly sets translator back to English*

*translator still fails to find word*

...y'know, technology isn't always superior. I have a nice paper Latin dictionary back in my room (not to mention Google Translate completely fails at declensions), but I'm currently in my office >:( .

Hear my... laughter? Et tu, Brute?
    :usa: native
    :spain: comes back in an emergency
    :vaticancity: rusty
    :china: can usually manage to order food
    :norway: can hold a basic conversation

:chap5: | :book2: | :book3: | :chap17: :chap18:

Ragnarok

• Tumblr
      • DeviantArt
    • I write things, and I'm okay at that.
    • Preferred pronouns: he/him
    « Reply #2543 on: August 30, 2016, 05:24:13 PM »
    I will write feedback, one of these days - but I'm still stuck in the Eddard-chapter. D: I liked the chapters so far, all in all I find it a bit strange that Khal Drogo and Daenerys are so nice and welcoming. I can't see the immediate benefit for them, but as this looks like it's going to be a looooong fic we will see eventually. (Or as soon as I find the time to read more. =/ ) More detailed comments on AO3 (eventually).

I'll put up an author's note to this effect shortly, but the short of it is that Khal Drogo is smart enough to realize that attacking the group with the giant metal tiger miiiight be a bad idea. Daenerys for her part is partly glad to meet people who speak her language, and partly similar reasons as Drogo.
    Plus, there's approx. three months of travel we've basically skimmed over, that will be brought up and explained in a later chapter.
    Survived: Chapters: :chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:
    Books: :book3: :book4:

I wrote a thing. It has consumed my life.

Reigning champion of time spent on this forum.

Miriam

• Scout
    • Icon by HulluPunaKettu
    « Reply #2544 on: August 30, 2016, 05:26:23 PM »
    Very cute idea!
    Somehow AO3 shows your stories at weird points on the site, so people just going through today's uploads won't see them. The latest for example is shown for the 27th of August. Oo

Thanks. Yes, for some reason the last three stories seem to be dated the 27th of August *cries*.
    :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :book4: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
    • Elder of the Ruined Realm
    « Reply #2545 on: August 30, 2016, 05:37:11 PM »
    I noticed the date confusion when I was looking for something else and found one of your stories tucked in halfway down a page. Weird!
    « Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 07:20:01 PM by Róisín »
    Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Talimee

• Scout
      • Tumblr
      • DeviantArt
    « Reply #2546 on: August 30, 2016, 06:21:46 PM »
    Hear my... laughter? Et tu, Brute?

Your rusty school latin was better than mine - I had to look up everything. :D
    And yes. Me too.  >:D I mean, if the story is too long in the making you could just skip to the interesting parts and parts.

Survived:

Yuuago

• Tumblr
    • Well, there's still hope in this world.
    • Preferred pronouns: He/etc
    « Reply #2547 on: August 30, 2016, 07:01:47 PM »
    Thanks. Yes, for some reason the last three stories seem to be dated the 27th of August *cries*.

If this happens again (or if you want to change the date on any of your other stories) you can do it by going to the story's edit screen, scrolling to the checkbox for "Set a different publication date", and choosing the correct date. Sometimes Ao3 does weird things.
    Journal | Tumblr | Fic Archive
    Og kring meg i myrket/snøar og snøar det. - Olav H. Hauge

Solokov

« Reply #2548 on: August 30, 2016, 07:49:32 PM »
    I'll put up an author's note to this effect shortly, but the short of it is that Khal Drogo is smart enough to realize that attacking the group with the giant metal tiger miiiight be a bad idea. Daenerys for her part is partly glad to meet people who speak her language, and partly similar reasons as Drogo.
    Plus, there's approx. three months of travel we've basically skimmed over, that will be brought up and explained in a later chapter.

There's also the fact had we gone with the most likely result of first contact with dothraki.. well ragnarok and I would have very quickly become the most hated writers in the ssss fan-verse.
    I'm a writer too,
    writing things for you,

Miriam

• Scout
    • Icon by HulluPunaKettu
    « Reply #2549 on: August 31, 2016, 05:25:50 AM »
    If this happens again (or if you want to change the date on any of your other stories) you can do it by going to the story's edit screen, scrolling to the checkbox for "Set a different publication date", and choosing the correct date. Sometimes Ao3 does weird things.

Thanks, it should be fixed now. From now on I'll just check the date of each fic that way before posting.

My last fic in the chapter break: Reynir, stealer of cats.
    Emil accuses Reynir of stealing his cat. Emilalli.