Author Topic: The SSSS Scriptorium  (Read 780020 times)

Miriam

• Scout
  • Icon by HulluPunaKettu
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
Re: The SSSS Scriptorium
« Reply #2310 on: June 29, 2016, 04:15:06 AM »
Some more Hogwarts stuff. Very, very ridiculous. VERY ridiculous. Honestly I don't know why I wrote this.
Tuuri and Reynir visit Madam Puddifoot's Tea Shop, only to have a pair of unlikely interrupting friends ruin their evening.
Spoiler: show
A bell tinkle gently as Tuuri and Reynir stepped in out of the cold. An explosion of pink met their eyes.
“Well,” Tuuri said, “It’s very… pink.”
She had meant to say cozy, but the more prominent word just slipped out. She smiled at Reynir, whose teeth were chattering. “Shall we go find a table?”
He nodded, looking around. “If we can find one that isn’t—“
“Currently occupied by some kissing couple?” Tuuri said ruefully. She couldn’t remember who had suggested Madam Puddifoot’s Tea Shop, and she was starting to get a sinking feeling that all this had been her idea.
Suddenly, a stout woman with a shiny black bun perched neatly on the top of her head appeared between tables. “What can I get you, m’dears?” she panted, squeezing between tables.
“Ah—a table for two, please,” Tuuri asked.
“Sure thing,” she said, and led them through a maze of tables to the very back of the room. When they were seated, she beamed down at them and said, “You can call me Madam Puddifoot, now how’s about I get you some nice tea to start off? I pride myself on knowing what sort people like.” She winked benevolently at both of them. From what Tuuri could see of Reynir’s face, it had surpassed the pink of the frilly decorations and was now a deep red.
Within seconds, Madam Puddifoot had vanished and reappeared with a tray of tea and pastries. She placed these in front of Tuuri and Reynir, grinning widely the whole time. Then she squeezed herself between two tables and was gone.
Tuuri and Reynir stared at each other. It was, Tuuri thought sadly, terribly awkward.
In order to stop staring, Reynir tried one of the cookies in front of him. His eyes bulged.
“What? What is it?” Tuuri asked, grabbing his arm.
“Mhfh—sweet!” Reynir choked. “It’s like she filled that thing with sugar!”
Tuuri giggled. And then she burst into a laugh, a sweet, breathy laugh that was better than cookies.
Reynir laughed too, his hand slipping down to rest in hers. Then he stopped, looking troubled. “Do you feel like we’re being watched?”
Tuuri started to answer in the negative, but as soon as she looked past Reynir, she saw a pair of silvery, feline eyes…
No. It couldn’t be. “Lalli?” she gasped. “What are you doing here?”
Lalli’s mouth moved like he was chewing. As a matter of fact, he was. There was a towering stack of overly sweet cookies on the table in front of him, and he had the contented air of some on who is halfway done with a delicious dinner. Beyond the cookies, gold hair glimmered.
“Hello,” Emil whispered, looking truly mortified.
“Oh, hi,” Reynir said, completely oblivious.
Lalli munched on his cookies. Tuuri gaped at him. “Do you know you’re in… that you’re in… that you’re in the number one spot for kissing couples in Hogsmeade?” Tuuri finished the sentence with an air of fierce determination.
“Yes,” Emil choked. He looked like he was trying to swallow one of Professor Sigrun’s imps.
Lalli gave them a piercing stare. “What are you doing here?”
Tuuri’s mouth moved silently. Lalli’s gaze swept around to Emil. “Are they on a date?
Reynir glanced at Tuuri. “Should we… go?”
“Yes,” she gasped, and fled.
“I think… I think they are!” she heard Emil exclaim behind her.
It was only later, in the warm glow of the fire in the Three Broomsticks, that Tuuri thought to wonder what Lalli and Emil had been doing there in the first place.

Yes, good. Very good.
Native: :netherlands:
Some. Enough.: :uk:
Special: :germany: :france:
:chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :book4: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

LooNEY_DAC

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #2311 on: June 29, 2016, 09:12:53 AM »
The Red Herring League
A “Stand Still. Stay Silent”/Superhero AU fanfic
Part 7
Complete Links to Complete Links post
Prior part
Spoiler: The Manchurian Heroes • show
“Are you disciples?”

“Yes,” the seven Heroes chorused.

Törkeää Onni stood before the Red Herring League fearlessly, knowing that they were his to command.

The Nordic Council had put the command system into place as the ultimate safeguard against the sheer power of the Heroes running amok--or turning against the Council. Expert mentalists carefully assessed the Heroes and then programmed them as needed.

He addressed Reynir first. “Play dead.”

The only command the programmers had bothered to put into the lowest-powered Heroes was the “Play Dead” order. Reynir promptly fell over, his muscles all falling limp at once.

For each of the rest, Törkeää Onni stepped in front of them, put two fingers to their forehead, and whispered, “Phobos”. This command prompted the subject to suffer terrifying visions of their greatest fear while they stood motionless and powerless.

Each of the rest, excepting only the Firework. Emil had been assessed as “most compliant” in the group, so Törkeää Onni had a special plan for him.

Törkeää Onni spoke the command phrases and awaited Emil’s acknowledgement and obedience.

Emil’s mouth worked silently for several seconds, until finally he said, “...No.” He looked almost surprised that he’d said it before repeating, “No,” and adding, “I will not kill my friends.”

What luck that the assessors had not bothered to ascertain how Emil would react if called on to go against his friends.

Törkeää Onni frowned. “Lack of discipline is its own punishment.”

Emil screamed as waves of pain ripped through him, making him fall to one knee before the implacable Finn.

“Are you a disciple?”

Everything in Emil wanted to scream “Yes!” at Törkeää Onni. He could feel the weight of the compulsion like a horrible yoke on his shoulders, dragging his inexorably into line.

Just as Emil was about to break, he seemed to hear a voice say, “I can Help with that, if you’ll let me.” It was Reynir, stooping by Emil’s side to get under one edge of the yoke. Reynir stood, his strength Helping Emil back to his feet. What luck that Reynir was the only other Hero who could use his powers now.

Emil lifted his head, his bright blue eyes looking right into Törkeää Onni’s grey ones. “I will not kill my friends.” He bit out each word individually.

The sparkles in the Firework’s hair became sparks, and Törkeää Onni had to take a quick step back as the immediate are grew hot.

Of course, the part of the conditioning preventing the Firework from harming the Puppeteer was still intact, so Emil stood there helplessly, his will still fixed on not killing his friends.

As though in a dream, Törkeää Onni saw a spectral form of flame stride forward from Emil, grabbing Onni in a firm but inescapable hug before sending the flames to their highest pitch, disregarding Onni’s pain-wracked screams...

No sooner had one vision ended than another began. In this one, Törkeää Onni’s head was forcibly yanked to face a Sigrun who had given herself over to rage. “Talky man talk too much,” she opined before snapping his neck with one punch...

And another. Törkeää Onni was knocked to the floor by the adversary from home. “You slew my whole team of good men and women,” the furious Captain Sparkle growled. “Without reason, without cause. For this, you must be punished!” He punched Törkeää Onni in the face. “Punished!” Another punch. “PUNISHED!” And it went on...

After exactly ten minutes and twenty-seven seconds, the members of the Red Herring League came out of their states and back to normalcy.

Törkeää Onni was curled up into a little ball before them, sobbing occasionally but otherwise unresponsive. What luck for the League that his foresight powers had resurfaced just in time to prevent him from taking further action against them.

“Can you take him back to your world?” Sigrun asked Captain Sparkle.

The eyes upon the League duly noted everything and reported it truly to the Controller. He smirked. “Well, we’ve had Amateur Hour; now we’ll see how much better the professionals are.” He nodded at a nearby troll...

Spoiler: Authorial Notes • show
Oh, look. I didn’t actually abandon the plot after all.

...And gee, could all those mentions of luck have something to do with Tuuri? Nah.

Kiraly

• Tumblr
  • SSSSinnamon roll
  • Preferred pronouns: she, her, etc.
« Reply #2312 on: July 02, 2016, 12:46:46 AM »
Don't mind me, I'm just reviving my Hipster Band AU from its long sleep (with a looooong chapter). Also, there will most likely only be two chapters after this, unless it gets away from me.
Languages: :usa: (native) :mexico: (conversational but out of practice) :germany: (attempting to learn)
Survivor: :artd::book1+::chap6::chap7::chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21:

Talimee

• Scout
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #2313 on: July 02, 2016, 01:51:27 PM »
Don't mind me, I'm just reviving my Hipster Band AU from its long sleep (with a looooong chapter). Also, there will most likely only be two chapters after this, unless it gets away from me.

Yay! I love the introduction of Kiraly-level Angst into this. This is about the only level of angst I can handle at the moment so it is awesome. Poor Onni - he is so right. TT_TT

And the songs were awesome. Don't know all of them but
 Mikkel and Celine Dion?! I cracked up at this. And the drinking game for "Turn around bright eyes" is a good idea.
Cate Bush is horror on the vocal cords as I have enough evidence to lay down through countless Sing-Star evenings.
[22:31] <@amity> And they care about only two things: Emil/Lalli fanfic, and chewing bubblegum.
[22:31] <@amity> And the word is, they're all out of bubblegum.

Survived:
:chap5::chap6::chap7: :chap20:
:chap8::chap9::chap10:
:chap11::chap12::chap13:
:chap14::chap15::chap16:
:chap17::chap18::chap19:

Kiraly

• Tumblr
  • SSSSinnamon roll
« Reply #2314 on: July 02, 2016, 02:19:09 PM »
Yay! I love the introduction of Kiraly-level Angst into this. This is about the only level of angst I can handle at the moment so it is awesome. Poor Onni - he is so right. TT_TT

And the songs were awesome. Don't know all of them but
 Mikkel and Celine Dion?! I cracked up at this. And the drinking game for "Turn around bright eyes" is a good idea.
Cate Bush is horror on the vocal cords as I have enough evidence to lay down through countless Sing-Star evenings.

Aww good, I'm glad the Kiraly-level angst isn't too much! (It is sometimes too much for me to write, which is the main reason this chapter took so long!) And yes...Onni does have a point, even if he can't seem to present it in a way that Tuuri can handle at the moment. I hope I can do the parts about Onni's conflict with Tuuri here justice in the remaining chapters. I meant to introduce it earlier (I wrote that email from Onni several chapters ago and kept cutting it) but it never seemed like the right time. I do think figuring out how to have a healthy relationship with him is an important part of Tuuri's character.

And I'm glad you liked the songs! I finally realized that in some cases it would be fine to just pick things that would be funny and/or have appropriate lyrics for the characters
(like Lalli and The Sound of Silence, which I am still patting myself on the back for having thought of). Mikkel singing Celine Dion was actually a suggestion by Minutia, which was too hilarious to pass up! And oh, man...if that "Turn around bright eyes" thing was an actual drinking game, there would be so much drinking...I've lost count of how many times I've been at a karaoke place and someone (usually a group of girls) decided to sing it but didn't actually know it well.

Anyway, thank you for reading and commenting! I'll admit, I was a little worried this chapter would be too much angst and not enough fluff, but I needed to be done with it (so I can move on to some more angst before the final fluffy conclusion).
Languages: :usa: (native) :mexico: (conversational but out of practice) :germany: (attempting to learn)
Survivor: :artd::book1+::chap6::chap7::chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21:

OwlsG0

• I am occasionally scared by my own hair.
  • Preferred pronouns: She/She?/Human?/ Gender?
« Reply #2315 on: July 02, 2016, 03:01:03 PM »
 Crushed that Kirlaly's hipster AU's only going to have like 2 more chapters, but it's been a fun ride all the same. I'm looking forward to the ending!

Haven't posted myself in a while because there was no wi-fi where I've been for the past week and I had extended family coming up to my eyeballs, so have a prompt now.

47: Creation http://archiveofourown.org/works/6445972/chapters/16738501

I saw the future.
We are not doomed, because our Cat overlords are benevolent leaders :3

:chap11: :book2:  :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16:

Kiraly

• Tumblr
  • SSSSinnamon roll
« Reply #2316 on: July 02, 2016, 03:18:45 PM »
Crushed that Kirlaly's hipster AU's only going to have like 2 more chapters, but it's been a fun ride all the same. I'm looking forward to the ending!

Haven't posted myself in a while because there was no wi-fi where I've been for the past week and I had extended family coming up to my eyeballs, so have a prompt now.

47: Creation http://archiveofourown.org/works/6445972/chapters/16738501

Aww, don't be too crushed! I'll do my best to make the ending worth it, I promise. (And in addition to the Emil/Lalli spinoff story line, there's a decent possibility of a Christmas special showing up around the holidays, assuming I manage to finish the main story arc before then!)

I really enjoyed this Mikkel chapter - if you've been up to your eyeballs in extended family, it seems like you've taken that as inspiration for your writing. Well done!

LooNEY_DAC

• DeviantArt
« Reply #2317 on: July 02, 2016, 06:50:06 PM »
I'm so glad I didn't kill this thread last week.

So, of course, I'll kill it now, with this dark tale of the future.

On the Consequences of Trying to Bully Someone with PTSD
A “Stand Still. Stay Silent” fanfic
Complete Links to Complete Links post
Cleanser Camp Fortitude
3 km NNW of Älvdalen
Late Summer--Beginning of Cleanse Cycle 77

Emil watched the forest burn from the supposed “safety” of the camp. He had been put on rear-guard duty again, as he had every day since his return from the PR tour following the Mission. It wasn’t so bad, or so he kept telling himself.

Since his return to the unit, he’d decided to take a page from Lalli’s book and be quiet but competent (aside from one outburst when he’d reported to the Captain), not that any of his fellows were any more eager for his company than they had been before he left.

Something skittered through the bushes, and the horses whickered nervously.

“Stop hanging back, Svenson! Västerström would be back at camp faster than you!” The Captain’s jibe had its desired effect: as the others chuckled, the lagging Cleanser loped forward to rejoin the group.

Västerström. What was the Captain to do with him? When he’d returned, she’d sneered at him, suggesting that while he might be expecting better treatment now that he was famous, he’d be mistaken. She’d expected a mortified babble of denials as she crushed his spirit further.

But instead of flushing in embarrassment as he would have once, the little snot had dared to look her in the eye as he’d told her that he knew she’d hated him from the first day he’d been assigned to her, and that he didn’t expect it to change any time soon.

When she’d told him to watch his tongue, Västerström had actually laughed. “Or what?” he’d asked, his tone bitter. “Will you put me on permanent latrine duty, as I am anyway? Will you leave me behind to guard the camp instead of seeing action, as you always do anyway? Will you encourage the others in their little persecutions, as you do anyway?”

On that, Västerström had turned and left her office, without waiting to be dismissed.

Now, the Captain had to figure out what more she could do to him, as she wouldn’t let such talk pass unpunished.

They were still laughing as they approached the camp, until they saw the bloody corpse on the trail. It was a troll, but so large as to be only just shy of Giant-hood, and it was very dead. Not a few wounds marked the corpse, but the most impressive was the fatal wound: a single stab right through what had once been its forehead.

Västerström was waiting for them at the perimeter. Just for a moment as they emerged from the trees, the Captain thought she saw a flash of sunlight off a naked blade in his hand, but it vanished too quickly for her to be sure.

“There are two others on the far side of camp,” he reported. “They tried to attack from both sides at once, but Misu-Misu held the one off long enough for me to take the others down.” Misu-Misu was the unit’s Grade B vermin-Beast control cat.

He said nothing else, simply waiting to be dismissed. Bemused, the Captain did so, and he left.

Once he was gone, some of the others half-heartedly tried to scoff at the notion of Västerström taking down three trolls by himself; but the dead trolls were right there, and only Västerström had been in place to kill them.

It wasn’t long after their return to base that the next incident happened, and at the worst possible time. The Captain was entertaining a higher-up who had yet to reveal the reasons for his visit, so she was already a bit on edge.

They were strolling over to the Officers’ Mess when it happened, in full view of the VIP. Västerström had just started down the stairs when Wittenden came up behind him and gave him a shove that should have sent him sprawling in the mud.

Instead, Västerström spun around, grabbing Wittenden’s outstretched hand--and stabbed Wittenden in the belly as the two tumbled into the mud.

Fortunately for Wittenden, Svenson and Klausen raced up to grab Västerström’s arms before he could cut Wittenden’s head off.

No one looking at Västerström in that moment would have doubted that he’d killed those three trolls by himself.

“Well,” the higher-up said flatly. The Captain jumped, having forgotten his presence until then. “I had hoped that my source was mistaken, but it seems they weren’t.”

What?

The Captain looked at the emissary from on high, and realized that he was trembling with anger. She was about to apologize and assure him that Västerström would be severely disciplined for this when he spoke again.

“I was told to investigate rumors that your unit was utterly lacking in cohesion and camaraderie; that this was exemplified in your tacit approval of a campaign of persecution against one of your own; and that internecine violence was inevitable as a result. I pooh-poohed the notion, but I came here anyway, and what do I find? One of your Cleansers assaulted another, who defended himself--perhaps too vigorously at the end, but that first blow was self-defense.”

The Captain was still stammering protests when the higher-up told her, “Cleanser Västerström is herewith removed from your command; I shall assume responsibility for him and escort him back to Mora. You have not heard the end of this.”

The Captain was “temporarily” removed from command and assigned to observe another unit--as a common Cleanser. After she got over her funk, she actually began to learn a few things about leadership, not that she’d ever admit it to anyone. But when she returned to her unit, she began to put her lessons into practice.

A few cycles later, she saw the posters go up advertising “the Face of the Cleansers” appearing nearby. Västerström’s face beamed at her from each one.

Spoiler: Authorial Notes • show
Well, that was long and dark.

The "rumors" were passed from Sigrun to Trond, who called in a few favors to get the matter looked into.

In other news, I’m hopeless at Swedish surnames.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2016, 09:45:05 PM by LooNEY_DAC »

Talimee

• Scout
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #2318 on: July 02, 2016, 07:23:56 PM »
I'm so glad I didn't kill this thread last week.

So, of course, I'll kill it now, with this dark tale of the future.

Pfft. What do you mean? Kill the thread? Long? Dark? This story was not nearly long enough (in my view) and very satisfactory on the revenge-scale. *happy sigh* But seriously, like, seriously!
I liked Emil telling the Captain off and telling her exactly how she could not humiliate him further and I loved that he took care of these trolls on his own. I thing the PTSD did not come through all the way, but on the other hand PTSD must not always be a crippling condition, must it?
Anyhow, nice work!

In other news, I’m hopeless at Swedish surnames.

Well. When I need Swedish names and family names I go here. Its a list of the 100 most common Swedish family names. You will see, that the Swedes use -son instead of the Danish -sen.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2016, 07:26:09 PM by Talimee »
[22:31] <@amity> And they care about only two things: Emil/Lalli fanfic, and chewing bubblegum.

Survived:

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #2319 on: July 02, 2016, 08:56:17 PM »
LooNEY: Kill the thread? Never! These were both interesting reads, and the Emil story was great. Extreme PTSD victims, in my experience, can go either way. The ones who don't wind up sobbing under the bed can wind up like Emil did in this story, yeah. Sometimes they can veer back and forth between the two patterns, which is scary, not knowing which one you will meet.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

LordoftheThings

• Tumblr
  • what's a "forum"? can I eat it?
  • Preferred pronouns: She/Her
« Reply #2320 on: July 03, 2016, 04:24:01 AM »
http://archiveofourown.org/works/5292065/chapters/16752016

I LIIIIIVE
new hypothermia chapter for y'all, and some art to go with it under the spoiler~

Peek-a-boooo

Native: :usa:
Know a Little: :france:
Need to work on learning: :iceland:
I have the rosetta stone why Don't I know this: :netherlands:

Over the Hills and Faraway
For ten long years he'll count the days
Over the mountains, and the seas
A prisoners life for him there'll be

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #2321 on: July 03, 2016, 05:38:27 AM »
LordoftheThings: delightfully creepy art to go with a delightfully creepy story! What is it that the troll says to Emil?
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

OwlsG0

• I am occasionally scared by my own hair.
  • Preferred pronouns: She/She?/Human?/ Gender?
« Reply #2322 on: July 03, 2016, 01:03:30 PM »
79: Starvation http://archiveofourown.org/works/6445972/chapters/16758568

In which Reynir considers whether or not it was worth it to feed his starvation for adventure.
I saw the future.
We are not doomed, because our Cat overlords are benevolent leaders :3

:chap11: :book2:  :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16:

Talimee

• Scout
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #2323 on: July 03, 2016, 02:19:17 PM »
79: Starvation http://archiveofourown.org/works/6445972/chapters/16758568

In which Reynir considers whether or not it was worth it to feed his starvation for adventure.

Yay! I liked the conversation between Mikkel and Reynir, very sad and very enlightening. I also liked the assumption that Reynir is some sort of lucky charm. XD Lucky to be born, lucky to survive the Silent World, lucky to be a mage ... Hehe.
The Inuk you have Mikkel mention here, is he the same Inuk from the "Creation"-story? If so, how would he be at the Kastrup-frontlines? Will you write more about this?

Anyhow, thanks for writing and sharing. =)

Survived:

LordoftheThings

• Tumblr
  • what's a "forum"? can I eat it?
  • Preferred pronouns: She/Her
« Reply #2324 on: July 03, 2016, 06:04:30 PM »