Author Topic: The SSSS Scriptorium  (Read 787170 times)

Juniper

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • 달도 차면 기운다
Re: The SSSS Scriptorium
« Reply #2250 on: June 11, 2016, 05:38:39 PM »
*tilts head*
Part of me wants to say this can't possibly be correct, and another part of me is screaming *I ship it*. help

A third part might be waiting for Minna to confirm this....

Unfortunately she has already confirmed otherwise, but I can dream *wistful sigh*

Native: :usa:
I guess I'm pretty okay :france: :southkorea:
Learning: :finland: :arableague: :sign:

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #2251 on: June 11, 2016, 05:43:43 PM »
Here's the thing I posted in the multimedia exchange, based on Elleth's prompt. Enjoy!

Spoiler: sigruns first troll • show

On occasion, warriors are hurt badly enough to keep them from fighting, but not badly enough to kill them. Given the temperament of the average Norweigan, this is an understandably rare occurrence, as the vast majority of wounded Norweigans tend to glance at their crippling injuries, say something along the lines of “tis but a scratch”, and resume shooting, stabbing, and/or headbutting the nearest troll until one of the two expires.
Nonetheless, a small number of these debilitated veterans exists. Many of them find solace in civilian life, while others throw themselves into daring tasks despite their injuries (the most notable of which was Trask “Stumpy” Andersen, who, despite lacking three and a half of his four limbs, managed to board, commandeer, and sail a fishing skiff singlehandedly into a leviathan pod, ramming the nearest creature while cackling and flinging Molotov cocktails in all directions).

It is widely conjectured the latter group consists simply of the ones who have been driven insane by boredom.

On this particular day, it was also widely conjectured that No-Hands and One-Eye had joined this group.

The pair were, as nicknames go, somewhat badly named. For one, No-Hands actually had hands. They just so happened to be made of wood, steel, and bronze. One-Eye, in fact, was completely blind in his remaining eye. He hadn’t been originally, but there had been an incident involving a particularly rowdy wedding, a champagne bottle, and a washing machine.

This pair was, at this particular moment in time, waiting on the outskirts of one of the less dangerous forests in Norway (which meant you only had a one in two chance of being eaten, rather than five in six), and staring at a box.

The box in question was shaking visibly, and yelling. The yelling was not particularly complimentary, being mostly directed at the box itself, and a variety of unappealing attributes the box had.

“Never heard that one,” No-Hands said after a particularly inventive combination of swearwords.

“Yup,” One-Eye said.

“How much longer?” No-Hands asked.

“Not much,” One-Eye answered.

As if on cue, the top of the box finally yields to the occupant’s struggles, bursting open with a crack, revealing Sigrun Eide.
Sigrun Eide, teenage daughter of General Eide.
Sigrun Eide, who, when informed her babysitter (a man who resembled a small, ambulatory mountain) was secretly a troll, built a pit trap sufficient to both fool and contain said babysitter until authorities arrived. She was eight at the time, and had been disappointed that the babysitter was not, in fact, a troll.
Sigrun Eide, who these two particular unfortunates had been hired to take into this particular forest, so she could kill her first troll.

The girl- not a woman, until this was done- stretched, and said something that would cause most of Swedish or Icelandic high society to faint into their teacups before standing and brushing off the remains of the crate. “So you two are the guys who’re supposed to find me a troll to kill?” she asks- shouts, really. The two nod slowly, and Sigrun pumps her fist enthusiastically into the air. “Sweet!” Then she frowns. “Why don’t you guys have any guns?” she asks. “I mean, aren’t they needed?”
No-Hands shakes his head. “Not allowed. Traditional reasons,” he explains. Sigrun’s expression sours. “What happens if a troll or a giant shows up and you’re not prepared for it?” she asks angrily.
No-Hands doesn’t say a word, just swings his wood and iron fist into the nearest tree. The tree in question, a relatively young oak, buckles around the prosthetic, splintering easily. No-Hands pulls the artificial limb free easily. One-Eye, meanwhile, has drawn a sword out of his cane, holding it at the ready.
Sigrun gulps, then nods.
“What about me, though?” she asks.
No-Hands prods One-Eye, and the blind man puts his cane back together before pulling out a large knife with deceptive ease. He flips it and hands it hilt-first to Sigrun, who takes it with a grin.
“Awesome. Let’s go kill something,” she says.

-------------------------------

It takes them a very short time to find a troll, No-Hands reflects numbly, flying through the air. A very, very short time, he repeats, slamming into a tree trunk.

He was never going near Sigrun Eide again, he pledges, flopping face-first into the forest floor.

The troll in question roars loudly, before suddenly squealing and whimpering. Sigrun’s head pops into No-Hands field of vision. “Well,” she says happily. “That went wonderfully!”
No-Hands groans, then mutters something he’d heard from Sigrun when she was in the crate.

Honestly, he wished she’d go back into it.

Actions

Bwahahahahaha Lovely!! Soo many chuckles, but I think my favourite is the mention of Stumpy's exploits.
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

Ragnarok

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • I write things, and I'm okay at that.
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him
« Reply #2252 on: June 11, 2016, 05:46:07 PM »
Unfortunately she has already confirmed otherwise, but I can dream *wistful sigh*

Actually, as I read this, it could be interpreted as:

Finnish magic runs in the blood, Icelandic magic comes from the gods. We already knew this.

Maybe the Norse criteria is "level of gayness", while the Finnish bloodline includes genetic markers for the same thing? You might be able to use that as justification for a fic....eh, brain wandering down a path that is oddly serious and somewhat comical simultaneously, abort.

Bwahahahahaha Lovely!! Soo many chuckles, but I think my favourite is the mention of Stumpy's exploits.

Haha thanks!
« Last Edit: June 11, 2016, 05:50:23 PM by Ragnarok »
Survived: Chapters: :chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:
Books: :book3: :book4:

I wrote a thing. It has consumed my life.

Reigning champion of time spent on this forum.

Juniper

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • 달도 차면 기운다
« Reply #2253 on: June 11, 2016, 05:52:51 PM »
Actually, as I read this, it could be interpreted as:

Finnish magic runs in the blood, Icelandic magic comes from the gods. We already knew this.

Maybe the Norse criteria is "level of gayness", while the Finnish bloodline includes genetic markers for the same thing?

Awe yeah I just remembered the mage info page explicitly states "most Finns have the ability to use spells to some degree" which I'm pretty sure means just about all of the Finns are at least kinda gay.

Native: :usa:
I guess I'm pretty okay :france: :southkorea:
Learning: :finland: :arableague: :sign:

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #2254 on: June 11, 2016, 06:09:32 PM »
84: Out cold http://archiveofourown.org/works/6445972/chapters/16268354

In which someone sleeps in a haven, but is not quite out-cold.

(Another Emil/Lalli epic.)

*heavy sigh*  This is a beautiful landscape.  Soooo beautifully imagined.

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)

OwlsG0

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • I am occasionally scared by my own hair.
  • Preferred pronouns: She/She?/Human?/ Gender?
« Reply #2255 on: June 11, 2016, 06:12:16 PM »
*heavy sigh*  This is a beautiful landscape.  Soooo beautifully imagined.

Thank you! I had some real fun working on the natural landscapes for this one. I was definitely trying to channel in some of that sublime natural stuff you get in the Gothic classics. Took me a long time to get right. You can't really tell but I also had a cat sitting on my throat for most of the time this one took to write, so that was an extra layer of difficulty.
I saw the future.
We are not doomed, because our Cat overlords are benevolent leaders :3

:chap11: :book2:  :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16:

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #2256 on: June 11, 2016, 07:36:57 PM »
Thank you! I had some real fun working on the natural landscapes for this one. I was definitely trying to channel in some of that sublime natural stuff you get in the Gothic classics. Took me a long time to get right. You can't really tell but I also had a cat sitting on my throat for most of the time this one took to write, so that was an extra layer of difficulty.

Writers suffer so for their art.  Kudos.

Buteo

• Ranger
« Reply #2257 on: June 11, 2016, 07:49:47 PM »
...You can't really tell but I also had a cat sitting on my throat for most of the time this one took to write, so that was an extra layer of difficulty.

You almost make it sound as though that was a handicap.... ;)
Good work, in any case - beautiful landscapes.

Lazy8

• DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: Name only
« Reply #2258 on: June 11, 2016, 11:24:01 PM »
Cranky old men vs. snot-nosed brats, go!

72. Mischief Managed
:usa: native
:spain: comes back in an emergency
:vaticancity: rusty
:china: can usually manage to order food
:norway: can hold a basic conversation

:chap5: | :book2: | :book3: | :chap17: :chap18:

Minutia_R

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she or they
« Reply #2259 on: June 12, 2016, 03:49:34 PM »
I just posted this on the Multimedia Exchange thread, but I figured I'd post it here, too:

Who Has Wandered Wide, and Far Has Fared on the Way
http://archiveofourown.org/works/7180754

Reynir's prayers for guidance are answered--which may not be a good thing. Luckily, Emil and Lalli are there to help.

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #2260 on: June 12, 2016, 05:46:36 PM »
Cranky old men vs. snot-nosed brats, go!

72. Mischief Managed

Yep, cranky old men FTW!

Talimee

• Scout
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #2261 on: June 12, 2016, 06:38:14 PM »
Prompt: 58 – Kick in the Head
Summary: Evening entertainment with the crew has never been so startling.
Pairing: Emil Västerström/Lalli Hotakainen
Characters: Emil Västerström, Lalli Hotakainen, Rest of the Crew
Setting: Somewhere in Denmark
Rating: none
Warnings: none
Tags: fluff, poetry, Emil's POV

Long time no read! I actually finished something in the wake of less than a week. *still can't believe it* Have some Emil and Lalli Fluff over here.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2016, 08:54:21 PM by Talimee »
[22:31] <@amity> And they care about only two things: Emil/Lalli fanfic, and chewing bubblegum.
[22:31] <@amity> And the word is, they're all out of bubblegum.

Survived:
:chap5::chap6::chap7: :chap20:
:chap8::chap9::chap10:
:chap11::chap12::chap13:
:chap14::chap15::chap16:
:chap17::chap18::chap19:

Lazy8

• DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: Name only
« Reply #2262 on: June 12, 2016, 09:19:36 PM »
Now re-posted to AO3!

73. I can't.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 09:13:21 PM by Lazy8 »
:usa: native
:spain: comes back in an emergency
:vaticancity: rusty
:china: can usually manage to order food
:norway: can hold a basic conversation

:chap5: | :book2: | :book3: | :chap17: :chap18:

OwlsG0

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • I am occasionally scared by my own hair.
  • Preferred pronouns: She/She?/Human?/ Gender?
« Reply #2263 on: June 13, 2016, 04:03:13 PM »
35: Hold my hand http://archiveofourown.org/works/6445972/chapters/16321577

Sigrun has a special problem when it comes to high doses of painkillers. The nature of the problem is something Mikkel should have seen coming, but somehow he doesn't.

(I may enjoy writing slightly-inebriated!Sigrun more than I let on)
I saw the future.
We are not doomed, because our Cat overlords are benevolent leaders :3

:chap11: :book2:  :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16:

Ragnarok

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • I write things, and I'm okay at that.
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him
« Reply #2264 on: June 13, 2016, 04:38:38 PM »
35: Hold my hand http://archiveofourown.org/works/6445972/chapters/16321577

Sigrun has a special problem when it comes to high doses of painkillers. The nature of the problem is something Mikkel should have seen coming, but somehow he doesn't.

(I may enjoy writing slightly-inebriated!Sigrun more than I let on)

I may enjoy reading slightly-inebriated!Sigrun more than I let on.
Survived: Chapters: :chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:
Books: :book3: :book4:

I wrote a thing. It has consumed my life.

Reigning champion of time spent on this forum.