Author Topic: The SSSS Scriptorium  (Read 780097 times)

Lazy8

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: Name only
Re: The SSSS Scriptorium
« Reply #2085 on: May 14, 2016, 11:02:16 PM »
Mortal enemies!

44. Hate
:usa: native
:spain: comes back in an emergency
:vaticancity: rusty
:china: can usually manage to order food
:norway: can hold a basic conversation

:chap5: | :book2: | :book3: | :chap17: :chap18:

Buteo

• Ranger
« Reply #2086 on: May 15, 2016, 12:57:48 AM »
Nice, Lazy8, both funny and touching. Effective evocation of the ongoing theme of communication problems!

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #2087 on: May 15, 2016, 02:00:58 AM »
Lazy8, good one!
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

OwlsG0

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • I am occasionally scared by my own hair.
  • Preferred pronouns: She/She?/Human?/ Gender?
« Reply #2088 on: May 15, 2016, 07:31:26 AM »
73: I can't http://archiveofourown.org/works/6445972/chapters/15652267

In which Emil can't find the right way to say goodbye to Lalli, but Lalli has thought of the right way to say goodbye to Emil.
I saw the future.
We are not doomed, because our Cat overlords are benevolent leaders :3

:chap11: :book2:  :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16:

Maggs

• Super-Newbie
« Reply #2089 on: May 15, 2016, 04:42:38 PM »
Me: I can handle it, *clicks*

*gets to Lalli* man there's dust in here or something.

*get to Reynir* why is my throat closing up what is this.

*finishes*
*single tear glides down cheek*

Same. Can't. Dying. What is this pain!?
-- :P is my inner guide --

LooNEY_DAC

• DeviantArt
« Reply #2090 on: May 15, 2016, 08:23:22 PM »
Hark! Do I hear the sound of the William Tell Overture in the distance?

No?

Well, have this instead:

The Good, the Bad, and the Bestial
A “Stand Still. Stay Silent”/Western crossover fanfic
Part 26
Caper the 4th: The Madsen Connection
Part 1
Prior part
Spoiler: show
You Can Bank On It

Sigrun usually loved a good heist, but this one was beginning to smell like a set-up. Not only were they supposed to rob a specific shipment from a specific bank on a specific day at a specific time; not only were there more and more guards drifting into the area as the appointed time drew near; not only were the locals edgy and nervous, as though they were expecting trouble; but on top of all that, Doc Mikkel, the only one of them whose size made him stick out in a crowd, was getting far too many of the very worst kind of looks: the kind that said, “I’ve seen you on a WANTED poster, haven’t I?”

All in all, every instinct Sigrun had was screaming at her to pull the plug on this heist. One stint in the hoosegow had been one too many already in her book, and she was certain the others agreed.

Sigrun dropped her armload of stuff in the prearranged “abort” signal, using the ensuing hubbub to cover the others’ exits before making her own way out of the bank.

“Miss Eide?”

Sigrun had almost caught up to Doc Mikkel when she heard the call. Immediately deciding to brazen it out, she spun on her heels, saying in her deepest of Deep Southern accents, “I do not believe I have made your acquaintance, sir, and I am certain I never gave you permission to address me so freely. However, I am Ida Hornsby. Is there some assistance I may render?”

Confronted not with a criminal of shady and duplicitous mien but with a seemingly forthright lady of propriety who looked him straight in the eyes unhesitatingly, the man, actually the bank’s assistant manager, made haste to back down. “I’m terribly sorry, ma’am. I mistook you for someone else--a terrible habit of mine.”

Sigrun paused just long enough for the assistant manager to start sweating before graciously inclining her head and exiting the bank, her air one of affronted yet regal dignity.

“They knew we were coming,” Sigrun growled back in their wagon. “And not just that: they knew we were coming.”

“Should I get on the telegraph back to headquarters so they can find out how?” Tuuri asked, her eyes wide.

Sigrun’s face darkened further. “No. I think this necessitates a visit in person.”

Emil jerked his head up. “We’re headed back to Milwaukee?”

“Yep. Have Reynir hitch up the horses and be ready to move out before dawn.”

“It’ll take at least a week; maybe two,” Lalli observed. “Have we got enough grub to last, if’n we need to steer clear of trouble?”

“As to that,” Doc Mikkel replied before Sigrun could say anything, “I have some... connections en route who may be able to be of assistance to us in that regard.” He looked at Sigrun. “I also have a few such in Milwaukee itself who may prove useful, if we are undertaking the endeavor I suspect.”

“If you suspect we’re going after Uncle Trond to see why he set us up,” Sigrun paused significantly, “you’re quite correct.”

“Oh, boy,” Emil said under his breath. He hadn’t seen much of the old man, but what he had had left him with the impression that Trond Andersen was not a man to be trifled with. But then, neither was their little band...

Spoiler: Authorial Notes • show
So the fourth caper begins.

Is it just me, or do I have a few too many of these WIPs?

Róisín

« Reply #2091 on: May 15, 2016, 08:38:38 PM »
I enjoy them enough to wait while the chapters piece themselves together. And Sigrun as an affronted Southern belle...love it!

Lazy8

• DeviantArt
« Reply #2092 on: May 15, 2016, 10:56:17 PM »
Oh, Emil and his denial.

45. Illusion

Bouncey

« Reply #2093 on: May 15, 2016, 11:28:40 PM »
LooNEY, there will never be enough WIPs. Ever.

Róisín

« Reply #2094 on: May 15, 2016, 11:56:30 PM »
Lazy8: that is indeed how I hope it will go with Emil and magic - good! He is not stupid, after all, just poorly informed!

Lazy8

• DeviantArt
« Reply #2095 on: May 16, 2016, 11:05:45 PM »
Reynir: Oops baby.

46. Family

LooNEY_DAC

• DeviantArt
« Reply #2096 on: May 16, 2016, 11:06:01 PM »
Somewhat belated, but…

Another Independent Production
A “Stand Still. Stay Silent” fanfic
Lalli’s moose was staring at Emil again.

This wasn’t a “Die beneath my massive dinosaur claws, mammal scum!” look like the ravens tended to direct at Emil, but more of a “Whatcha doin’?” look. The moose was friendly like that.

In fact, the moose was the friendliest of all of Lalli’s menagerie, possibly excepting the penguin, when it wasn’t trying to be all standoffishly feline at Emil.

Most of the menagerie tended to act feline, no matter their actual species, which were many and varied. The moose, however, tended to act more like a big, curious dog as it trailed along after Lalli. You could never tell what it would stick its nose into next, which was Emil’s current problem, as he was trying to set up some minor but potentially harmful pyrotechnics.

“Lalli!”

There was no answer. With a sigh, Emil went over to the moose and grabbed its reins gently but firmly. “C’mon, moose. We need to find your Daddy.”

The moose nodded and guided Emil off in one particular direction.

Lalli was napping beneath one of the Viking Inferno mock-up bits waiting to be put into place on the “battlefield”. Though most of the Giant/Jaeger battle was going to be achieved through computer animation, several key bits would be practical, with full-sized mock-ups of (for example) the control pod and large-scale miniatures of both the Viking Inferno and its Giant opponent.

“Lalli?” Still no response. “Lalli, you need to keep your moose away from my explosives.”

Lalli sat up and sang some Finnish at Emil, who wished Tuuri was there to translate.

“Your moose,” Emil said, gesturing at the animal behind him, “away.” He brought his hands together, and then out, miming an explosion. “My boom-booms.”

Lalli snorted in amusement, but seemed to understand. Grabbing the moose’s halter, he gestured for Emil to get back to work.

“Thank you.” Emil turned and almost plowed into Mikkel, already in costume.

“‘Boom-booms’. Such a complex and technical term to use on our little Finn friend there.”

Emil rolled his eyes. “It’s what he understands.”

“Like you understand ‘sotkuinen ruotsalainen’?”

Emil blushed. Trust Mikkel to remember that. “I need to get back to my explosives now,” he said, much on his dignity, “before any of Lalli’s other little friends decide to investigate.”

“Speaking of which...” Mikkel gestured to the rapidly approaching figure of Sigrun. An obviously smitten badger hurried in her wake.

“LALLI!” she bellowed once she spotted the thin Finn and his moose. “Tell this thing I’m not available, so it should keep AWAY!” Her gesticulations did nothing to discourage the badger, but some sparrows perched near Lalli took fright readily enough.

Lalli snapped his fingers, and the badger slinked over to him, climbing onto the moose’s back. Another snap of Lalli’s fingers brought the birds back, carrying Lalli’s helmet between them.

Emil was most impressed, as he’d had no idea sparrows could carry so much weight. But he had his own job to do, so he couldn’t stick around to watch the impending musical number.

A pair of rabbits passed by, pausing to lift their tails at Emil in a “Nice to see you!” as they did. Emil shook his head and went back to his squibs.

So, I know I said this would be a one-shot, but I couldn’t think of a better AU to showcase Lalli-as-a-Disney-Princess-in-our-world.

So sue me.

...Oh, and they’re filming this.

OwlsG0

« Reply #2097 on: May 17, 2016, 04:07:31 AM »
Somewhat belated, but…

This wasn’t a “Die beneath my massive dinosaur claws, mammal scum!” look like the ravens tended to direct at Emil, but more of a “Whatcha doin’?” look. The moose was friendly like that.

In fact, the moose was the friendliest of all of Lalli’s menagerie, possibly excepting the penguin, when it wasn’t trying to be all standoffishly feline at Emil.

Most of the menagerie tended to act feline, no matter their actual species, which were many and varied. The moose, however, tended to act more like a big, curious dog as it trailed along after Lalli. You could never tell what it would stick its nose into next, which was Emil’s current problem, as he was trying to set up some minor but potentially harmful pyrotechnics.

“Lalli!”

There was no answer. With a sigh, Emil went over to the moose and grabbed its reins gently but firmly. “C’mon, moose. We need to find your Daddy.”

Lalli was napping beneath one of the Viking Inferno mock-up bits waiting to be put into place on the “battlefield”. Though most of the Giant/Jaeger battle was going to be achieved through computer animation, several key bits would be practical, with full-sized mock-ups of (for example) the control pod and large-scale miniatures of both the Viking Inferno and its Giant opponent.

“Lalli?” Still no response. “Lalli, you need to keep your moose away from my explosives.”

Lalli sat up and sang some Finnish at Emil, who wished Tuuri was there to translate.

“Your moose,” Emil said, gesturing at the animal behind him, “away.” He brought his hands together, and then out, miming an explosion. “My boom-booms.”

Lalli snorted in amusement, but seemed to understand. Grabbing the moose’s halter, he gestured for Emil to get back to work.

“‘Boom-booms’. Such a complex and technical term to use on our little Finn friend there.”

Emil blushed. Trust Mikkel to remember that. “I need to get back to my explosives now,” he said, much on his dignity, “before any of Lalli’s other little friends decide to investigate.”

“Speaking of which...” Mikkel gestured to the rapidly approaching figure of Sigrun. An obviously smitten badger hurried in her wake.

“LALLI!” she bellowed once she spotted the thin Finn and his moose. “Tell this thing I’m not available, so it should keep AWAY!” Her gesticulations did nothing to discourage the badger, but some sparrows perched near Lalli took fright readily enough.

Lalli snapped his fingers, and the badger slinked over to him, climbing onto the moose’s back. Another snap of Lalli’s fingers brought the birds back, carrying Lalli’s helmet between them.

Emil was most impressed, as he’d had no idea sparrows could carry so much weight. But he had his own job to do, so he couldn’t stick around to watch the impending musical number.

A pair of rabbits passed by, pausing to lift their tails at Emil in a “Nice to see you!” as they did. Emil shook his head and went back to his squibs.

So, I know I said this would be a one-shot, but I couldn’t think of a better AU to showcase Lalli-as-a-Disney-Princess-in-our-world.

So sue me.

...Oh, and they’re filming this.

The ravens' dialogue piece had me in stitches. Disney princess Lalli is the best Lalli.
I saw the future.

OwlsG0

« Reply #2098 on: May 17, 2016, 08:19:17 AM »

69: Annoyance http://archiveofourown.org/works/6445972/chapters/15702112

In which Reynir annoys everyone by turning off his personal gravity

« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 08:22:10 AM by OwlsG0 »
I saw the future.

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #2099 on: May 17, 2016, 07:21:36 PM »
Somewhat belated, but…

“Lalli!”

I believe calculations have been done to determine the actual carrying capacity of the sparrows.  Or maybe it was swallows, now that I think of it?  In either case, Lalli's helmet is bound to be equal or less in weight to a coconut, yes?
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior