Author Topic: The SSSS Scriptorium  (Read 780281 times)

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
Re: The SSSS Scriptorium
« Reply #1980 on: April 25, 2016, 09:41:24 PM »
Lazy8 - that's very realistically written, and scarily probable. That sort of thing must have happened over and over, and played out very differently in different places. There is potential here for some of our more scientifically minded authors to play with ideas for many scenarios of the discovery of immunity, and all the many story permutations, tragedies and triumphs that might happen before people worked it out.

Lordofthetthings - still torturing poor Emil, I see! He hasn't had a good day, and I suspect is about to have an even worse night.

OwlsG0: this is likely the sort of thing he would have learned about in mage school, if he had ever been to mage school. I wonder if a mage might die if, say, he had a creative nightmare and filled his haven with murderghosts? Sort of like 'Forbidden Planet'? And poor uncomprehending Emil!

Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Regolith247

• DeviantArt
  • Prepare for Lunacy
« Reply #1981 on: April 25, 2016, 10:26:33 PM »

OwlsG0: this is likely the sort of thing he would have learned about in mage school, if he had ever been to mage school. I wonder if a mage might die if, say, he had a creative nightmare and filled his haven with murderghosts? Sort of like 'Forbidden Planet'? And poor uncomprehending Emil!

Hey! Someone else who's seen 'Forbidden Planet'!.... That's all I have to say here.
"It's easy to believe in something when you win all the time... The losses are what defines a mans faith."
-Brandon Sanderson, The Well of Ascension

Lazy8

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: Name only
« Reply #1982 on: April 25, 2016, 11:21:35 PM »
Hey! Someone else who's seen 'Forbidden Planet'!.... That's all I have to say here.

I found it impossible to take that movie seriously from the second someone said "electron volts."

Anyway, I come bearing gifts! (Not to mention some emotional whiplash.)

25. Trouble Lurking

Quarter mark FTW!
:usa: native
:spain: comes back in an emergency
:vaticancity: rusty
:china: can usually manage to order food
:norway: can hold a basic conversation

:chap5: | :book2: | :book3: | :chap17: :chap18:

Róisín

« Reply #1983 on: April 26, 2016, 12:19:25 AM »
Lazy8: that was funny and good.

Regolith: thought there might be a few of you who had seen it! Despite things like 'electron volts', I loved it because it was one of the few SF movies up to that point where the characters took their culture's tech as a given, a part of their everyday life rather than geewowgollygosh we're going to use the transporter! Because I do think it adds realism to a story, and it's something I try to do if I'm writing a story set in a world that has advanced tech, or magic - make it just part of the general background, rather than intrusive into the story.

Also, I've heard 'Forbidden Planet' described as 'The Tempest' in space.

Regolith247

• DeviantArt
  • Prepare for Lunacy
« Reply #1984 on: April 26, 2016, 12:37:28 PM »
I found it impossible to take that movie seriously from the second someone said "electron volts."

Anyway, I come bearing gifts! (Not to mention some emotional whiplash.)

25. Trouble Lurking

Quarter mark FTW!

You're right- that was a pretty good emotional whiplash! I find the prospect of a feverish and paranoid Sigrun a bit terrifying, since who knows what she might try in that condition? Especially given how she is normally! Sorta like "The Hangover"....

*Sigrun, yawning, steps out of the Cat-tank* "Well, I feel better now. What did I miss? And where did the giant book pile come from?"

*Mikkel, looking much the worse for the wear* "Those are from the five raids that you led us on in the last eight hours."

*Sigrun looks out over the city* "Huh. I guess that explains all of the smoke... And why there's a giant's head tied to the hood of the tank."

Róisín: It's true- in 'Forbidden Planet' they made everything seem to have a purpose beyond 'hey, that looks cool'. Well, most of the time. Robby the Robot remains awesome! And yes, it is the same plot as 'The Tempest', which is my favorite Shakespeare work, by the way
"It's easy to believe in something when you win all the time... The losses are what defines a mans faith."

Róisín

« Reply #1985 on: April 26, 2016, 01:11:52 PM »
Mine too. That play, and the sonnets.

Lazy8

• DeviantArt
« Reply #1986 on: April 26, 2016, 10:00:30 PM »
This is the part where I really test whether I've still got my mojo. Also, is it weird that my chapters now seem to be alternating between funny and serious?

26. Tears

Buteo

• Ranger
« Reply #1987 on: April 26, 2016, 10:39:54 PM »
Those who are familiar with Shakespeare's Tempest, have you read Ted Williams's "Caliban's Hour?" It's a look at the story from the "bad guy's" point of view. A very different perspective.

OwlsG0

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • I am occasionally scared by my own hair.
  • Preferred pronouns: She/She?/Human?/ Gender?
« Reply #1988 on: April 27, 2016, 04:26:30 AM »
This is the part where I really test whether I've still got my mojo. Also, is it weird that my chapters now seem to be alternating between funny and serious?

26. Tears

Weirdly, I'm filling the exact same prompt right now. Mine also happens to be on the exact opposite spectrum of emotion.

You still got your mojo. Believe me, Lazy, it's still there.
I saw the future.
We are not doomed, because our Cat overlords are benevolent leaders :3

:chap11: :book2:  :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16:

Lazy8

• DeviantArt
« Reply #1989 on: April 27, 2016, 11:36:14 PM »
I henceforth declare this my new BroTP.

27. Friendship

Regolith247

• DeviantArt
  • Prepare for Lunacy
« Reply #1990 on: April 28, 2016, 12:04:19 AM »
I henceforth declare this my new BroTP.

27. Friendship

It would figure that those two would get along well! I love this story! And the thought of baby-sitting a young Sigrun is the kind of thing that keeps people up at night....

OwlsG0

• I am occasionally scared by my own hair.
  • Preferred pronouns: She/She?/Human?/ Gender?
« Reply #1991 on: April 28, 2016, 02:26:02 AM »
26: Tears http://archiveofourown.org/works/6445972/chapters/15282811

Mikkel does something to make everyone cry, but not from sadness or amusement.
I saw the future.
We are not doomed, because our Cat overlords are benevolent leaders :3

:chap11: :book2:  :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16:

Pupunen

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
« Reply #1992 on: April 28, 2016, 04:56:00 PM »
This week has been really stressful, and the worst part is still ahead. My new coping mechanism seems to be writing vaguely shippy fanfic. I suppose there are worse ways to relieve stress.

http://archiveofourown.org/works/6686815
Native: :finland:
Fluent: :sweden: :uk:
Good: :italy:
Understand but don't speak: :denmark: :norway:
Basics: :russia: :wales: :iceland: :vaticancity:

:chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15:

LooNEY_DAC

• DeviantArt
« Reply #1993 on: April 28, 2016, 05:58:53 PM »
And again, I show my execrable timing.

The Red Herring League
A “Stand Still. Stay Silent”/Superhero AU fanfic
Part 4
Prior part
Spoiler: show
Cats As Cats Can

Lalli slept, and as he slept, he dreamed.

They were particularly random, incomprehensible, and above all frustrating dreams tonight; a whole menagerie danced through them, with each different animal demanding something new of him, while a red-tail laughed in the skies above.

Fortunately, Emil was there, but he was a dog, a squirrel, a seal--another whole menagerie. And the others pressed home their demands, forcing Lalli to socialize--to deal with stupid, stubborn, nattery-chattery people who couldn’t just leave him be as he wanted. Still, Lalli was comforted by the presence of his best friend, even though they called each other different names in the dreams.

They went to Tuonela and back, always together, except when that infuriating red-tail ripped Emil-by-another-name away for a bit. When that happened, Lalli slumped into the waters of Tuonela, gloomily looking at the reflection that wasn’t Lalli Hotakainen at all--in looks, at least.

But it all worked out more or less all right. Lalli got to see Emil “kill” the red-tail, which was most cathartic. All the people quit bothering him, which was even better.

Then he and Emil were in a gigantic mechanical warrior, their minds linked together as they battled the monsters the Rash had spawned...

...only they were a painting in Lalli’s tatty old studio, waiting for Lalli to put the finishing touches on his latest creation...

...but Lalli was too busy hustling a weirdly-garbed Tuuri out of a tall cement building, while Emil fretted over how his explosives had knocked the safe they were supposed to open clear out into the street instead...

...Sick and fevered and twisted and why couldn’t he have died when it caught him in the dreamworld--but no, because Emil was there, making the pain better and worse, keeping him human, and he was Lalli again, instead of the näkki the Rash had made of him...

Lalli sat bolt upright with a gasp, sweat running down his face in rivulets. Barely a breath away from Lalli’s face, a large, glowing lynx stared at Lalli calmly, its unblinking eyes boring into his. So, his luonto had finally returned--but only after the ghost attack that could have killed all of them had been thwarted by Reynir and Onni. Stupid weird, foreign spirits.

Well, it was here now, anyway. They did the slow blink at each other, but a sudden noise had them both looking to see its cause.

A large, fearsome-looking lioness was meandering their way.

For a moment, Lalli thought it was Sigrun, or rather, whatever weird foreign equivalent of a luonto she would have. A moment’s consideration of the counter-indications--she wasn’t red, for one--brought the realization that this was, in fact, the kitten, as she saw herself. She proved this by coming right up to Lalli and his Lynx, chirping happily in greeting, and flopping down onto her back in a silent but pointed demand for a belly rub.

As Lalli was attending to Her Majesty, he looked over to where Emil sat, asleep. For a moment, the golden-haired Swede’s form shifted into that of a dog, then a somewhat pudgy red-head, before reforming into the softly flaming mass that was “the Firework”.

Lalli “the Phantom Strike” slept on, knowing he would need the rest to face what was to come...

Spoiler: Authorial Notes • show
So, maybe there was a reason Puppy-Fox was in a few of my earlier stories...

...Other than authorial convenience, of course.

Tr

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Mostly lurking these days
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #1994 on: April 28, 2016, 06:23:34 PM »
LooNEY:D Well done as always!
Pupunen : vaguely shippy fanfiction is my favorite, so of course I love this  ::)
OwlsG0: heheheh this made me laugh even though one of my first thoughts was, "aww, poor Mikkel."
Lazy8: Yes. Trond and Onni are awesome.  ;D
Avatar by the amazing and wonderful ginger ^-^ :chap11: :chap12: :chap13:
Fluent :usa:, Learning in school :spain: