Author Topic: The SSSS Scriptorium  (Read 780133 times)

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
Re: The SSSS Scriptorium
« Reply #1965 on: April 23, 2016, 06:25:25 PM »
Oh, good one, LooNEY! I do like a good pirate yarn. Are you going to take them to Tortuga?
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Seventy by Heart

• Super-Newbie
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she, her, etc.
« Reply #1966 on: April 23, 2016, 08:35:06 PM »
I made a thing. A prompt-generator thing, to be precise. It's right here: http://seventybyheart.x10host.com.

Tr

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Mostly lurking these days
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #1967 on: April 23, 2016, 09:20:58 PM »
Kiraly: Awww! <3 <3 This fic is cutest and most best.
Lazy8: *enthusiastic applause* I love the way you write Askel.
wavewright62: *more appluase* Dark and very well written.
OwlsG0: *uncontrollable laughter*
LooNEY_DAC: "Red Braid." I love this.  ;D
Seventy by Heart: That is a very cool thing!
Avatar by the amazing and wonderful ginger ^-^ :chap11: :chap12: :chap13:
Fluent :usa:, Learning in school :spain:

Fogtreader

« Reply #1968 on: April 23, 2016, 09:28:30 PM »
Updated "Silence Broken", The Slime Splayed story, with the second part posted on the comments a couple weeks ago.
https://ssssforum.com/index.php?topic=193.msg96287#msg96287

Lazy8

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: Name only
« Reply #1969 on: April 23, 2016, 09:31:19 PM »
Updated "Silence Broken", The Slime Splayed story, with the second part posted on the comments a couple weeks ago.
https://ssssforum.com/index.php?topic=193.msg96287#msg96287

A good laugh, as always. Ha, flame war!
:usa: native
:spain: comes back in an emergency
:vaticancity: rusty
:china: can usually manage to order food
:norway: can hold a basic conversation

:chap5: | :book2: | :book3: | :chap17: :chap18:

Lazy8

• DeviantArt
« Reply #1970 on: April 23, 2016, 10:19:45 PM »
Lalli and his luonto. Not much more to say.

23. Cat

Tr

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Mostly lurking these days
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #1971 on: April 24, 2016, 04:42:52 PM »
Lazy8: Nice! Very Lalli. Fogtreader: brilliant.
I wrote a thing.
Summary: More fun with murderghost possession. And Reynir gets the rash illness. I guess part of it could be seen as Tuuri/Reynir shipping if you stare at it hard enough. Believe it or not, this one does have a happy ending. :)
Spoiler: show
It was dark in the Cattank. Dark and quiet, except for the soft sound of Reynir's ragged breath. Tuuri still hadn't gotten used to the quiet noise, and it jarred her every time he exhaled.
It had all happened so quickly. The troll had surprised everyone. It wasn't anyone's fault that Reynir had been standing in exactly the wrong place when it attacked. Of course, Tuuri still wondered if she could have stopped it. If she had been two steps to the left, it would have been her shivering under the layers of sheets. She would be the one with the rash illness. Not him. Not Reynir.
She placed the cool cloth Mikkel had given her over his brow and asked him how he was feeling.
"Not... great..." he managed to whisper, the words drifting like smoke from his lips. "S-sorry."
Tuuri wondered what he was apologizing for. Not being immune? Standing in the wrong place? Ever leaving home at all?
"It's okay," Tuuri lied, unable to stop her voice from trembling. "Sigrun and Emil and Lalli will be back soon, and then we'll see... we'll see if you can eat dinner."
Reynir nodded and let his head fall back on the pillow.

They were alerted to Sigrun, Emil, and Lalli's arrival when Sigrun flung the door open with a bang and Lalli slipped in with an air of great alarm.
"I don't like them!" he hissed as Mikkel sprayed him with disinfectant. "I don't like them, they're creepy!"
"Hiya Mikkel! We found people!" Sigrun announced.
"What?" Mikkel asked.
"Yeah, it was the weirdest thing! They were just sitting there. In the middle of the Silent World!"
Three tired humans filed into the Cattank after Emil.
"This is really against protocol... but I suppose we can't just leave them there," Mikkel observed, spraying them with disinfectant as well. "Do we have any idea what country they're from?"
Sigrun shook her head. "Nope! They haven't said a word. I guess I'd be traumatized too, if I had survived living in the Silent World."
"Hmmm," Mikkel agreed, staring at the newcomers.
All three were adults, one man and two women. The man had short, dark hair and a long nose, one of the women was short with curly red hair and freckles, while the other was blond with pale eyes. Lalli hissed whenever she looked at him.
"I don't like them," he repeated stubbornly. "Their eyes are too shiny and they have too many shadows."
"What are you even talking about?" Tuuri asked him crossly.
He didn't explain, just kept saying, "Too many shadows."
"Lalli, we've talked about this," Tuuri began, and Lalli pressed his hands over his ears in preparation for a lecture about using his words.
Tuuri gave up halfway through the halfhearted lecture as Reynir squeezed his eyes shut and stifled a whimper. It wasn't fair, she thought. Reynir was possibly the nicest person in existence. Why should he get the rash illness?

That night, as she listened to Reynir's labored breathing, she knew something had to happen, or she'd go insane. It wasn't fair. It wasn't right. And it wasn't going to happen. If the gods weren't going to do something about it, she would.
She was going to find the cure, and they were going to see if it worked. Impulsive? Maybe. But Tuuri was not going to watch Reynir die. No matter what, she was going to stop this.
She slipped out of bed, stepping over the sleeping strangers, searching the darkened tank. Then she saw a glint of glass in Mikkel's dark bag. She reached for it, her fingers brushing the glass. Then something grabbed her ankle, and she fell. As if it was in slow motion, she saw the needle with the cure fall too, shattering on the ground, scattering drops of precious amber liquid into the air. The darkness grew, twisting and writhing until it was one gigantic shadow with shiny eyes. Tuuri could see the limp forms of the three survivors at its feet. It wrapped around her, covering and filling her with freezing shadows.
"No." Tuuri heard the raspy, broken whisper through the layers of darkness. A flickering light grew in the tank. "Not... Tuuri. Go... away."The figure at the center of the light shuddered painfully and collapsed. Tuuri felt a sudden feverish warmth at her back, and heard a hissing noise. Maybe it was the ghosts laughing at how helpless they were. It was so dark and so cold. Someone was screaming her name, someone else was shouting. It sounded like Lalli. But it couldn't be Lalli, he was so quiet. Then nothing. Dark and silence.

"Well now, this is interesting." Mikkel's voice cut through the lingering dark.
Tuuri opened her eyes. Sunlight was streaming into the tank through the driver's seat window. Tuuri was huddled up against Reynir, and she realized with a start that she wasn't wearing her mask. She sat up quickly, trying to take in her surroundings. There was Lalli, seeming relieved to see her awake. "Told you they were creepy," he said.
Tuuri realized she couldn't see the three strangers anywhere.
"We have Twig-mage to thank now that we're all still breathing this morning," Sigrun commented. "Apparently those three were... they had the ghosts inside them or something?"
"Weird spirit vessels," Lalli confirmed.
"Anyway, they're dead now," Emil chimed in. "If they were ever alive in the first place, that is."
"Huh," Tuuri said, rubbing the back of her head. She didn't look at Reynir. She felt guilty enough already, seeing the splinters of glass scattered everwhere.
Then Reynir yawned, a huge, healthy yawn, and Tuuri whipped around faster than anyone else could react. The mangled, twisted, bloody rash had disappeared from his arms and neck. His hands steamed where they rested in a pool of amber liquid as the cure eradicated the last of the infection. "Good morning," he said sleepily, picking bits of glass out of his braid.
Tuuri couldn't help the happy "Eee!" that left her lips. Because it was, she thought, as she tackled Reynir with a hug. It was a good morning.

Spoiler: author note • show
Weird spirit vessels. Not a phrase you hear every day.
This is of course the dream I had the other night, written down so I could get it out of my head. I hope it doesn't seem too randomly thrown-together.
Avatar by the amazing and wonderful ginger ^-^ :chap11: :chap12: :chap13:
Fluent :usa:, Learning in school :spain:

OwlsG0

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • I am occasionally scared by my own hair.
  • Preferred pronouns: She/She?/Human?/ Gender?
« Reply #1972 on: April 24, 2016, 08:36:31 PM »
70: bound and gagged http://archiveofourown.org/works/6445972/chapters/15211312
In which Emil decides whether or not he wants to join the Hotakainen family business of contract killing

58: Kick in the head http://archiveofourown.org/works/6445972/chapters/15211426

Tuuri's head injury results in a magical seal, instead of loss of motor function.
I saw the future.
We are not doomed, because our Cat overlords are benevolent leaders :3

:chap11: :book2:  :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16:

Regolith247

• DeviantArt
  • Prepare for Lunacy
« Reply #1973 on: April 24, 2016, 10:38:54 PM »
70: bound and gagged http://archiveofourown.org/works/6445972/chapters/15211312
In which Emil decides whether or not he wants to join the Hotakainen family business of contract killing

58: Kick in the head http://archiveofourown.org/works/6445972/chapters/15211426

Tuuri's head injury results in a magical seal, instead of loss of motor function.

Mage-Tuuri would be awesome! I think my favorite part is when Tuuri first asks about the seal, and everyone who isn't a mage just looks at her like 'Oh great- that kick must have been harder than the doctors thought."
Thanks for writing these! They're always a lot of fun!
"It's easy to believe in something when you win all the time... The losses are what defines a mans faith."
-Brandon Sanderson, The Well of Ascension

OwlsG0

« Reply #1974 on: April 24, 2016, 10:41:49 PM »
Mage-Tuuri would be awesome! I think my favorite part is when Tuuri first asks about the seal, and everyone who isn't a mage just looks at her like 'Oh great- that kick must have been harder than the doctors thought."
Thanks for writing these! They're always a lot of fun!

I'm glad you enjoy them! It's definitely always a blast to decide how to interpret these prompts. They're a pretty wide, varies bunch and there's a lot to do with them.
I saw the future.

LordoftheThings

• Tumblr
  • what's a "forum"? can I eat it?
  • Preferred pronouns: She/Her
« Reply #1975 on: April 24, 2016, 10:55:02 PM »
http://archiveofourown.org/works/5292065/chapters/15214810

More Hypothermia!!

This fic is still going. It's going SLOWLY. But Still going.
Let the Emil torment continue
Native: :usa:
Know a Little: :france:
Need to work on learning: :iceland:
I have the rosetta stone why Don't I know this: :netherlands:

Over the Hills and Faraway
For ten long years he'll count the days
Over the mountains, and the seas
A prisoners life for him there'll be

Lazy8

• DeviantArt
« Reply #1976 on: April 24, 2016, 10:58:01 PM »
http://archiveofourown.org/works/5292065/chapters/15214810

More Hypothermia!!

This fic is still going. It's going SLOWLY. But Still going.
Let the Emil torment continue

I will have to read this tomorrow night, as that is the soonest I have time - but I very much look forward to reading it.

In the meantime, have some more prologue characters!

24. Time Is Running Out

Seventy by Heart

• Super-Newbie
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she, her, etc.
« Reply #1977 on: April 25, 2016, 04:33:35 PM »
ps. Seventy by Heart, thank you for the prompt-generator thing, what a great idea! :3

You're welcome! I love playing around with prompt generators - I've made them for several fandoms and I get a kick out of them every time.

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #1978 on: April 25, 2016, 08:02:48 PM »
Tall Ships & Taller Tales
A “Stand Still. Stay Silent”/Pirate crossover fanfic
Part 4
Prior part
The Kraken
Spoiler: show
The Saga of Red Braid

“...And that, me laddies, is how the Kraken fell to the magnificent Captain Eide, under whom I proudly served as cabin boy.”

Not a few jaws were agape at the tale their captain, who went by the moniker of “the Red Braid”, had told, but there were also a few scoffers. “Captain Eide,” one of these unworthies unwisely guffawed. “Tales o’ her be no more true than those o’ the Kraken itself, says I.”

The whole table burst into laughter, save the Red Braid. He merely sat with a patronizing smile on his face until the mirth subsided. “I’faith, ’twould depend upon who’s doing the telling, says I.”

“And it seems to me, Mister Reynir” a stentorian voice spat out from behind him, “that your telling has grown somewhat lacking, says Eide.”

The first words made everyone at the table jump, again save Reynir. By the end of her statement, all eyes were fixed on the tall, proud form looming up behind their captain.

“Tis most woeful, my Captain,” the Red Braid answered calmly, “that the tales I have to share of your adventures are yet so outlandish that I must needs omit the half of what I saw, lest none credit them at all.” He gestured at the motley assemblage seated at the table. “My Gentlemen of Fortune, I give ye Sigrun Eide, the woman who slew the Kraken with a stirring rod.”

One look at the woman standing behind their captain was enough to quell any doubts they might have had about his veracity.

“You’ve been babbling my adventures hither and yon,” Captain Eide said. “Now tell me a tale of your own, featuring the mighty Captain Red Braid.”

The Red Braid smiled. “Very well, my Captain,” he answered.

Reynir had been in command of the Túnfiskurinn for a few scant weeks when he ran into trouble. They weren’t supposed to rendezvous with the Sea-Lynx and the Drakeld, Emil’s command, for another month, so Reynir was on his own this time.

Not that it would have mattered so much; the trouble was a French squadron out for the blood of Ása Hardardóttir, Túnfiskurinn’s former captain. That Ása was now resting at the bottom of the sea meant less than nothing to them.

Now, the Túnfiskurinn was a fine ship, but the French had no less than five men-o-war in their squadron, so running was really their only option. It still grated, both on Reynir and his men.

Of course, no one can run forever; turning and fighting had to be part of the plan, and so it was.

The French squadron chased them into a harbor as night fell, the French wisely (or so they thought) standing off in a blockade that would eventually force the pirates out in a battle they couldn’t hope to win. The Red Braid had a different plan.

Under cover of darkness, the boarding parties got under way, and before dawn broke, the French squadron had been taken, though not without loss.

The most annoying thing about the whole affair was how little loot was to be had. Aside from the ships themselves, the affair yielded more or less nothing of value: no gold, no objets d’art, nor anything else for a nice spree. But still, taking out a full squadron of men-o-war so soon in his captaincy was a major feather in Reynir’s cap.

“...And that was just the beginning,” Reynir concluded. Every eye at the table had been fixed on him for some time now, the senior crewmen nodding as they recalled his tale. “Not that Captain Eide stuck around to hear more.”

“She’s gone! ... Where did she go? ... How on earth did she get away without us seeing?” The voices mingled in drunken cacophony.

“Well, me laddies, as to Captain Eide...” the Red Braid paused significantly, “...she died a good three years ago. Helped plant her meself, I did.”

Not a few of the crew crossed themselves, or made other gestures meant to ward off evil. The Red Braid snorted. As though any of that would avail them against Captain Eide’s wrath.

A few round of drinks and a few more tall tales later, Reynir finally rose, leading his now thoroughly inebriated men off to their waiting ship...

Spoiler: Authorial Notes • show
I’ll bet you thought this was all over with, didn’t you?

I'm working my work back through the story (thank you so much for the prior part links btw!), but I really enjoyed this bit.  Arrr, the Red Braid!
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

OwlsG0

« Reply #1979 on: April 25, 2016, 08:45:44 PM »
31: Flowers http://archiveofourown.org/works/6445972/chapters/15233593

Reynir decides to fill his haven with animals as well as flowers. It really, really doesn't go well.
I saw the future.