Author Topic: The SSSS Scriptorium  (Read 780003 times)

Lazy8

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: Name only
Re: The SSSS Scriptorium
« Reply #1950 on: April 21, 2016, 08:53:34 AM »
Wonderful! NOW I have an earworm, too! XD

I could think of far worse earworms. Would you like me to share? *evil grin*

Sigrun and angst ... I wasn't sure how that could even work but you did a great job here! I like that you have taken the real-world consequences into account as well at the otherworldly.
Your writing style is very neat and pleasant and very to the point, nothing superfluous with Sigrun, ey? I like that you portray Emil as wanting kids (you did that in a former story, too) and you have Mikkel so much in character it made me smile.
Thanks for writing and sharing! =)

Ah yes, my one non-negotiable you-will-have-to-fight-me-on-this headcanon is that Emil wants kids, and that he will be an amazing father. Seriously, just watch him interact with his little cousins!

And good to know that you found Mikkel believable. I was constantly second-guessing whether I had the character dynamic between him and Sigrun right, not to mention 'Is he talking too much oh gods I think he's talking too much this is Mikkel how often does he ever talk!?'
:usa: native
:spain: comes back in an emergency
:vaticancity: rusty
:china: can usually manage to order food
:norway: can hold a basic conversation

:chap5: | :book2: | :book3: | :chap17: :chap18:

Kiraly

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • SSSSinnamon roll
  • Preferred pronouns: she, her, etc.
« Reply #1951 on: April 21, 2016, 10:07:25 AM »
I could think of far worse earworms. Would you like me to share? *evil grin*

Ah yes, my one non-negotiable you-will-have-to-fight-me-on-this headcanon is that Emil wants kids, and that he will be an amazing father. Seriously, just watch him interact with his little cousins!

And good to know that you found Mikkel believable. I was constantly second-guessing whether I had the character dynamic between him and Sigrun right, not to mention 'Is he talking too much oh gods I think he's talking too much this is Mikkel how often does he ever talk!?'

I wish I could get that song in my head as an earworm! Call Me Maybe just played on the radio so now I'm stuck with that all day.

I am 100% behind your Emil headcanon, of all the characters he's the one I see as most likely to want kids. I really enjoyed this fic - even though it's angsty, it shows a complex side of Sigrun that wouldn't come out in any other situation. And I thought the interaction with Mikkel worked well. He may have talked a little more than he does in the comic, but he also hasn't had many one-on-one scenes with other characters so far. And if he was there to cheer Sigrun up, that amount of talking would be expected.
Languages: :usa: (native) :mexico: (conversational but out of practice) :germany: (attempting to learn)
Survivor: :artd::book1+::chap6::chap7::chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21:

Lazy8

• DeviantArt
« Reply #1952 on: April 21, 2016, 11:32:30 AM »
I wish I could get that song in my head as an earworm! Call Me Maybe just played on the radio so now I'm stuck with that all day.

I am 100% behind your Emil headcanon, of all the characters he's the one I see as most likely to want kids. I really enjoyed this fic - even though it's angsty, it shows a complex side of Sigrun that wouldn't come out in any other situation. And I thought the interaction with Mikkel worked well. He may have talked a little more than he does in the comic, but he also hasn't had many one-on-one scenes with other characters so far. And if he was there to cheer Sigrun up, that amount of talking would be expected.

Shake It Off. *shudders* The only reason I can even speak its name and not get it stuck is because I'm currently listening to something else. *jams headphones against ears* Lalala, I'm not listening!

I actually kind of want to expand this short into an actual multi-chapter story, but I kind of don't have time...

KMK

• Scout
« Reply #1953 on: April 21, 2016, 12:47:41 PM »
SectoBoss crawls in from the dry, parched landscape of Writer’s Block to deliver… this. Three little vignettes from Sigrun’s life, vaguely connected by the headcanon someone posted in the comments ages ago that she might have dyslexia. (Or some similar reading difficulty which is why she hates books so much.)

http://archiveofourown.org/works/4618803/chapters/10528584

I don’t know where I was going with these, and gods know they’re a bit rambly, but I hope you like them nonetheless!

So what I needed this morning. I have been immersed lately with the political doings in the States and the stress of seeing people who seem to have checked their brains at the door at age 10 rally behind a Hitler wannabe (want to be) and good people deny that the super rich have rigged the system and only want the regular people as their slaves. Ignoring a hero in Bernie Sanders who would have all of us be worthwhile and help those who are struggling (for physical or mental or economic reasons) to overcome our limitations and rise. They can't see that Hillary is just the One Percenter's lap dog and is behind all the irregularities (cheating) being done at the polls. It breaks my heart to consider that we may have to have a real civil war to put things right because we may not be able to do it through voting because of the rampant cheating. I was a soldier who swore to protect my country form enemies without and within. I am 54 and haven't seen active service in 22 years. Yet I do not hold my oath dismissed or diminished. This story has rallied my courage. Courage is easy when you are young and strong. It is more dear when your knees hurt like hell and you have gotten soft around the middle.

SectoBoss

• Ranger
« Reply #1954 on: April 21, 2016, 07:05:14 PM »
So what I needed this morning.

Thank you, it's very encouraging to hear the fic meant so much to you!
Native: :uk:  Remembers dregs: :france: :vaticancity:  Learning (slowly): :sweden:
Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
Proud owner of a Haizvatar
I write a bit on AO3

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #1955 on: April 21, 2016, 07:44:10 PM »
Anyone in the mood for a bit of fluff to lighten the mood a bit?  I have created an AO3 profile.

« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 06:07:11 PM by wavewright62 »
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #1956 on: April 21, 2016, 08:15:37 PM »
Wavewright: glad you put this up. Fun and fluff indeed! It was a nice way to start the morning. Do go on.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Kiraly

• Tumblr
  • SSSSinnamon roll
  • Preferred pronouns: she, her, etc.
« Reply #1957 on: April 21, 2016, 08:33:34 PM »
Hooray for fluff! I enjoyed that, wavewright62.

I also come bearing fluff, which fits the prompt challenge for #20: Fortitude. It's a short Emil/Lalli piece.
Hidden Strength.
Languages: :usa: (native) :mexico: (conversational but out of practice) :germany: (attempting to learn)
Survivor: :artd::book1+::chap6::chap7::chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21:

Lazy8

• DeviantArt
« Reply #1958 on: April 21, 2016, 09:58:11 PM »
Because after last prompt I desperately needed to write Sigrun being goofy again. So here's my take on how she got those injuries she had when she was recruited.

21. Vacation

OwlsG0

• I am occasionally scared by my own hair.
  • Preferred pronouns: She/She?/Human?/ Gender?
« Reply #1959 on: April 22, 2016, 02:34:47 AM »
Resurrecting myself from the void of homework to post another prompt.

37: Eyes http://archiveofourown.org/works/6445972/chapters/15151255

I personally had my eyes start to go fuzzy on me when I was about 13. I can see alright without them, but my parents are both practically blind. My hopes for the future are not great.
I saw the future.
We are not doomed, because our Cat overlords are benevolent leaders :3

:chap11: :book2:  :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16:

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #1960 on: April 22, 2016, 04:10:05 AM »
This is not fluffy, a totally different work, set in Y45 and featuring Ingrid Andersen mourning Goran.

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #1961 on: April 22, 2016, 04:19:16 AM »
Because after last prompt I desperately needed to write Sigrun being goofy again. So here's my take on how she got those injuries she had when she was recruited.

21. Vacation

Goofy?  Girl knows how to have a good time. </mikkel>  No, seriously, a good 'un!

Lazy8

• DeviantArt
« Reply #1962 on: April 22, 2016, 10:21:57 PM »
In which I decide I've picked on Sigrun enough for the time being, and decide to pick on her great-grandfather instead.

22. Mother Nature

OwlsG0

• I am occasionally scared by my own hair.
  • Preferred pronouns: She/She?/Human?/ Gender?
« Reply #1963 on: April 23, 2016, 05:21:36 AM »
30: Under Rain http://archiveofourown.org/works/6445972/chapters/15172708

In which the Danish winter has a small identity crisis and decides it wants to be a Vietnamese summer instead.
I saw the future.
We are not doomed, because our Cat overlords are benevolent leaders :3

:chap11: :book2:  :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16:

LooNEY_DAC

• DeviantArt
« Reply #1964 on: April 23, 2016, 04:36:31 PM »
Tall Ships & Taller Tales
A “Stand Still. Stay Silent”/Pirate crossover fanfic
Part 4
Prior part
The Kraken
Spoiler: show
The Saga of Red Braid

“...And that, me laddies, is how the Kraken fell to the magnificent Captain Eide, under whom I proudly served as cabin boy.”

Not a few jaws were agape at the tale their captain, who went by the moniker of “the Red Braid”, had told, but there were also a few scoffers. “Captain Eide,” one of these unworthies unwisely guffawed. “Tales o’ her be no more true than those o’ the Kraken itself, says I.”

The whole table burst into laughter, save the Red Braid. He merely sat with a patronizing smile on his face until the mirth subsided. “I’faith, ’twould depend upon who’s doing the telling, says I.”

“And it seems to me, Mister Reynir” a stentorian voice spat out from behind him, “that your telling has grown somewhat lacking, says Eide.”

The first words made everyone at the table jump, again save Reynir. By the end of her statement, all eyes were fixed on the tall, proud form looming up behind their captain.

“Tis most woeful, my Captain,” the Red Braid answered calmly, “that the tales I have to share of your adventures are yet so outlandish that I must needs omit the half of what I saw, lest none credit them at all.” He gestured at the motley assemblage seated at the table. “My Gentlemen of Fortune, I give ye Sigrun Eide, the woman who slew the Kraken with a stirring rod.”

One look at the woman standing behind their captain was enough to quell any doubts they might have had about his veracity.

“You’ve been babbling my adventures hither and yon,” Captain Eide said. “Now tell me a tale of your own, featuring the mighty Captain Red Braid.”

The Red Braid smiled. “Very well, my Captain,” he answered.

Reynir had been in command of the Túnfiskurinn for a few scant weeks when he ran into trouble. They weren’t supposed to rendezvous with the Sea-Lynx and the Drakeld, Emil’s command, for another month, so Reynir was on his own this time.

Not that it would have mattered so much; the trouble was a French squadron out for the blood of Ása Hardardóttir, Túnfiskurinn’s former captain. That Ása was now resting at the bottom of the sea meant less than nothing to them.

Now, the Túnfiskurinn was a fine ship, but the French had no less than five men-o-war in their squadron, so running was really their only option. It still grated, both on Reynir and his men.

Of course, no one can run forever; turning and fighting had to be part of the plan, and so it was.

The French squadron chased them into a harbor as night fell, the French wisely (or so they thought) standing off in a blockade that would eventually force the pirates out in a battle they couldn’t hope to win. The Red Braid had a different plan.

Under cover of darkness, the boarding parties got under way, and before dawn broke, the French squadron had been taken, though not without loss.

The most annoying thing about the whole affair was how little loot was to be had. Aside from the ships themselves, the affair yielded more or less nothing of value: no gold, no objets d’art, nor anything else for a nice spree. But still, taking out a full squadron of men-o-war so soon in his captaincy was a major feather in Reynir’s cap.

“...And that was just the beginning,” Reynir concluded. Every eye at the table had been fixed on him for some time now, the senior crewmen nodding as they recalled his tale. “Not that Captain Eide stuck around to hear more.”

“She’s gone! ... Where did she go? ... How on earth did she get away without us seeing?” The voices mingled in drunken cacophony.

“Well, me laddies, as to Captain Eide...” the Red Braid paused significantly, “...she died a good three years ago. Helped plant her meself, I did.”

Not a few of the crew crossed themselves, or made other gestures meant to ward off evil. The Red Braid snorted. As though any of that would avail them against Captain Eide’s wrath.

A few round of drinks and a few more tall tales later, Reynir finally rose, leading his now thoroughly inebriated men off to their waiting ship...

Spoiler: Authorial Notes • show
I’ll bet you thought this was all over with, didn’t you?
« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 04:49:53 PM by LooNEY_DAC »