Author Topic: The SSSS Scriptorium  (Read 780474 times)

OwlsG0

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • I am occasionally scared by my own hair.
  • Preferred pronouns: She/She?/Human?/ Gender?
Re: The SSSS Scriptorium
« Reply #1935 on: April 19, 2016, 01:12:28 AM »
18: Rainbow http://archiveofourown.org/works/6445972/chapters/15092599

I should probably interpret one of these prompts literally, for a change.
LGBTQ stuff going on in this one, and some Emilalli, Tuuri/Reynir

What's their ship name anyway? Tuurnir? Reyri? Braidystub?
I saw the future.
We are not doomed, because our Cat overlords are benevolent leaders :3

:chap11: :book2:  :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16:

SectoBoss

• Ranger
« Reply #1936 on: April 19, 2016, 04:39:17 AM »
SectoBoss: I've commented already over on A3O but will repeat it here: that was subtle, terrifying and amazing. Love it! And that was the work of an evening!!! You know, back in the days of the old story magazines like 'Strand' and 'Argosy', where they had a few writers on tap who could turn out a masterly story in a night if one of their regulars missed a deadline, you would have fitted right in. That story was shuddersome and brilliant.
SectoBoss: giving you feels for Mikkel Madsen you didn't know you had since always

Thank you both! (makes me a bit nostalgic for the days of story magazines, then, even if they were a bit before my time!)
Native: :uk:  Remembers dregs: :france: :vaticancity:  Learning (slowly): :sweden:
Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
Proud owner of a Haizvatar
I write a bit on AO3

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #1937 on: April 19, 2016, 06:27:49 AM »
Your library may have a selection of the old story magazines, on microfiche if not paper. I do recommend 'Argosy' in particular, you may be lucky on that one, it was British and quite famous, as was the 'Strand'. A lot of later-on famous writers got their start there: Arthur Conan Doyle, Charles Dickens and many others. You may even find copies in secondhand bookshops.

Sort of like how the early SF mags like 'Amazing Stories' gave their first airing to writers like Lovecraft and Poul Anderson who went on to become famous book writers.

I'm not sure whether to be astonished that an Englishman has never heard of the Strand Magazine, or just to feel old! Just to add to my sense of feeling ancient: something else that seems to have vanished is the old usage that most respectable newspapers were used to have a Literary Supplement, which was a sort of mini-story magazine, which generally also had poetry, book reviews, play and later film reviews. They generally came out in the Saturday edition of the paper, to amuse people over the weekend.

I had some of my first paying publications in those old Literary Supplements. * Goes off to polish her walking stick and feel old....*
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

OwlsG0

« Reply #1938 on: April 19, 2016, 06:33:06 AM »
I had some of my first paying publications in those old Literary Supplements. * Goes off to polish her walking stick and feel old....*

It's honestly amazing that you've been writing for so long! And besides, your age is what gives you the experience and knowledge you share with everyone here. Honestly, it never ceases to amaze me how much you've done and seen.
I saw the future.

Talimee

• Scout
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #1939 on: April 19, 2016, 08:38:21 AM »
Here is my newest installment of the 100-prompt-challenge. I am amazed at you people who can churn out quality so fast. ^^

Prompt: 48 - Childhood
Characters: Sigrun Eide, Lalli Hotakainen, Tuuri Hotakainen, Mikkel Madsen, Reynir Árnason, Emil Västerström
Setting: not specified, all characters are children
Rating: none
Warnings: none
Tags: Childhood, character-insights

http://archiveofourown.org/works/6440122/chapters/15096154
[22:31] <@amity> And they care about only two things: Emil/Lalli fanfic, and chewing bubblegum.
[22:31] <@amity> And the word is, they're all out of bubblegum.

Survived:
:chap5::chap6::chap7: :chap20:
:chap8::chap9::chap10:
:chap11::chap12::chap13:
:chap14::chap15::chap16:
:chap17::chap18::chap19:

SectoBoss

• Ranger
« Reply #1940 on: April 19, 2016, 09:23:46 AM »
I'm not sure whether to be astonished that an Englishman has never heard of the Strand Magazine, or just to feel old! Just to add to my sense of feeling ancient: something else that seems to have vanished is the old usage that most respectable newspapers were used to have a Literary Supplement, which was a sort of mini-story magazine, which generally also had poetry, book reviews, play and later film reviews. They generally came out in the Saturday edition of the paper, to amuse people over the weekend.

I think that by the time I was of the age where I might have taken an interest in this sort of thing, it was the early 2000s and we were well into the internet age by then. Besides, Strand doesn't really look like the sort of magazine the local corner shop would have sold where I grew up! We still have literary supplements, though, I see them lying around when I go back to my parents's house. But (for now) everything's online nowdays...

It's honestly amazing that you've been writing for so long! And besides, your age is what gives you the experience and knowledge you share with everyone here. Honestly, it never ceases to amaze me how much you've done and seen.
I can heartily second this!
Native: :uk:  Remembers dregs: :france: :vaticancity:  Learning (slowly): :sweden:
Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
Proud owner of a Haizvatar
I write a bit on AO3

Róisín

« Reply #1941 on: April 19, 2016, 09:51:08 AM »
Thanks guys! Just having one of those melancholy moments when one suddenly remembers quite how much time has passed. Rather like when a friend's child saw my old upright manual typewriter. Being a technically minded boy, he examined it minutely (he had obviously never even imagined such a device before, little say seen one), then said something like: "Ah, I see! It's a sort of printer, but without the computer". How things change.....

Kiraly

• Tumblr
  • SSSSinnamon roll
  • Preferred pronouns: she, her, etc.
« Reply #1942 on: April 19, 2016, 11:13:20 AM »
Aaaaand I'm behind on commenting again! Everyone's writing such great stuff and so fast, I'm jealous! (Forgive me if I miss anyone, everything is great!)

LooNEY your Avatar crossover is coming along nicely! I'm so entertained by Emil accidentally firebending and Lalli just casually putting it out.

Lazy8 I've been enjoying your introspective chapters, and the explorations into fluff (the rainbow one in particular made me really happy). :))

Tr that's too funny! I love that Emil is the go-to hair expert. And Róisín I appreciated your additions about natural hair products...makes me want to play around with the one for blondes to see what it will do to my used-to-be-blond hair that is now some ambiguous color in between blond and brunette. (Also, I concur with SectoBoss and OwlsG0, I appreciate your stories and insights immensely. It's a rare day that I don't learn something new from you. :)))

Sectoboss. Oh. My. That was hair-raising, and I made the mistake of reading it right before bed! The possibility of ghost-possession is terrifying, and the creepy subtlety of the...entity...was really well done. *hugs poor Reynir and Mikkel*

Talimee Soooo adorable! I need more stories of the crew as kids, I loved this so much! I think Reynir's was my favorite but it's hard to choose.

OwlsG0 I'm going to gush more about your Rainbow chapter on AO3, but for now I'll just say I LOVE IT!!! Also, I'm not sure there's a definitive ship name, but "Reyri" seems to be the most common. It's the one I usually go with, even though it can be confusing because the ship name for Onni/Reynir is only one letter different. I kind of like "Tuunir" too, but "Reyri" is cuter-sounding I suppose.

Whew! I think that's everyone (but if I missed you I'm sorry!) Keep up the good work everyone. :))

Languages: :usa: (native) :mexico: (conversational but out of practice) :germany: (attempting to learn)
Survivor: :artd::book1+::chap6::chap7::chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21:

Lazy8

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: Name only
« Reply #1943 on: April 19, 2016, 10:06:32 PM »
I feel like I was highly unoriginal in this one.

19. Gray
:usa: native
:spain: comes back in an emergency
:vaticancity: rusty
:china: can usually manage to order food
:norway: can hold a basic conversation

:chap5: | :book2: | :book3: | :chap17: :chap18:

Tr

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Mostly lurking these days
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #1944 on: April 20, 2016, 09:02:59 PM »
Nice one, Lazy8! I liked your description of the fog ♡
Oh dear, I seem to have written a fic about the murderghosts too.
Fluff writer + murderghosts = ?
Spoiler: show
Tuuri's dream started with a feeling of vague unease. She woke in the middle of a meadow, with drops of dew sparkling like tiny diamonds on the long grass and wildflowers like strips of silk scattered by the wind. Yet she knew something was wrong. She scanned the misty horizon, wondering what it could be.
Then she saw them. Shadows, lurking just outside the line of polished stones that marked the borders of her meadow. At first, they looked like part of the scenery. Then, as they drew closer, they took on a twisted imitation of human form, with emaciated arms and pale eyes in the center of their heads. The temperature in Tuuri's dream dropped rapidly as their dark limbs slid past her barrier like it didn't even exist. The soft light that had illuminated the dream slowly faded as the landscape darkened.
Tuuri didn't say anything. She couldn't say anything. Then the voices started.
The wind was full of whispered howling, screams of pain and hunger. All Tuuri could see was a whirlpool of darkness. The ring of spirits closed in around her, and she felt cold in her very bones.
"LALLIIIIIII!" someone was shouting. Their voice sounded distant and unfamiliar. "I need help!"
Tuuri recognized that voice. So did they. They hissed, turning to face the intruder, the meddler, the one who helped their victims.
Reynir tripped and fell headlong into Tuuri's dreamspace. A clumsy protective shield flickered into being, and the glowing lines of a rune spread over the grass. "LALLI!" he screamed again, not bothering to brush the grass from his clothes or get the small rock out of his braid.
"...don't have to... so loud," Lalli's voice said grumpily, as the mage himself appeared.
 His eyes went wide as he saw the spirits battering against Reynir's shield. Then his expression hardened. Tuuri could see the same determined glint in his eyes that he got when refusing to talk to weird foreigners.
A gust of wind blew through the ranks of ghosts, rippling their shadowy forms like they were nothing but a reflection in a pool of water. Lalli shouted something to the heavens, something Tuuri couldn't hear because Reynir's shield was collapsing and she was drowning, drowning in cold shadows that covered her mouth and ears and eyes. The darkness roared and shrieked and howled, and the light from the two mages was dying.
Tuuri was dying too. She reached out and found her friends' hands, finding small comfort in the tiny bits of warmth. With a sudden rush of determination, she pulled the mages to their feet. They were going to go out fighting. That's what Sigrun would tell them to do. Even though Sigrun could be overbearing, she was a good captain. In her absence, Tuuri was going to be a good captain too.
Reynir's grip on her hand tightened, and Lalli's yell blasted outward with the flash of light that cut through the layers of shadow. They were gone.
Reynir swayed like a tree about to fall. "That was... we... have to..." He did not sit down so much as fall over into the grass and flowers.
"Thanks." Lalli's voice was so quiet, the word was barely there.
"You're welcome," Tuuri said automatically. After all, if she wanted to teach her cousin normal people manners, she had to set a good example. "Do we have to worry about the others?"
Lalli shook his head, swallowing hard. His voice was still hoarse. "No. They were after you... not a mage... not immune."
Tuuri shivered. "Well, that's great," she said. "Will they come back?"
Lalli shook his head. He wasn't smiling, but Tuuri knew him well enough to know that he was radiating weary satisfaction.
"Okay, good." Tuuri glanced at the exhausted mages. They were in no shape to be walking back to... wherever they had come from. "Why don't you both stay here tonight?"
Lalli nodded silently. Reynir seemed to be asleep.
Tuuri sat down next to Reynir and removed the rock from his braid. Whatever those ghosts were, well, now they knew what they were up against. They knew they had chosen the wrong non-immune non-mage to pick on. And if they didn't, Lalli, Reynir, and Tuuri would show them why they should never cross the borders of Tuuri's dream haven again.

Spoiler: authors note • show
Apparently, fluff writer + murderghosts = terrified fluff writer wondering why she writes stuff at night.  ::) I scare myself so easily. I wanted to write something with Lalli and Reynir working together for once, hahaha.

Also, thanks to Róisín for the awesome insights on homemade hair care! ♡
Avatar by the amazing and wonderful ginger ^-^ :chap11: :chap12: :chap13:
Fluent :usa:, Learning in school :spain:

Róisín

« Reply #1945 on: April 20, 2016, 10:06:21 PM »
That's well written. I can see Tuuri as stubborn and well earthed. It would also not surprise me if non-mage Finns like Tuuri could perhaps use the prayer type of Runo spell.

And if I can write occasional fluff, why shouldn't you write occasional terror? It was good!

Tr

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Mostly lurking these days
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #1946 on: April 20, 2016, 11:03:30 PM »
That's well written. I can see Tuuri as stubborn and well earthed. It would also not surprise me if non-mage Finns like Tuuri could perhaps use the prayer type of Runo spell.

And if I can write occasional fluff, why shouldn't you write occasional terror? It was good!
Thanks! I'm glad you think so! I like writing terror sometimes, just not very often because I always start thinking, there are shadows on my wall are they shaped like people? they kind of are OHMYGOSH I think that one just moved...  ::)
Avatar by the amazing and wonderful ginger ^-^ :chap11: :chap12: :chap13:
Fluent :usa:, Learning in school :spain:

Lazy8

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: Name only
« Reply #1947 on: April 20, 2016, 11:58:59 PM »
Two minutes to midnight! *pant* *pant*

Things I learned about myself while writing this chapter: it sucks to be my favorite character. Hello angst fest, my old friend.

20. Fortitude
:usa: native
:spain: comes back in an emergency
:vaticancity: rusty
:china: can usually manage to order food
:norway: can hold a basic conversation

:chap5: | :book2: | :book3: | :chap17: :chap18:

OwlsG0

« Reply #1948 on: April 21, 2016, 03:04:59 AM »

Things I learned about myself while writing this chapter: it sucks to be my favorite character. Hello angst fest, my old friend.

20. Fortitude

Nicely done! And now you've got me singing Simon and Garfunkel
I saw the future.

Talimee

• Scout
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #1949 on: April 21, 2016, 03:44:44 AM »
Nicely done! And now you've got me singing Simon and Garfunkel

Wonderful! NOW I have an earworm, too! XD

20. Fortitude

Sigrun and angst ... I wasn't sure how that could even work but you did a great job here! I like that you have taken the real-world consequences into account as well at the otherworldly.
Your writing style is very neat and pleasant and very to the point, nothing superfluous with Sigrun, ey? I like that you portray Emil as wanting kids (you did that in a former story, too) and you have Mikkel so much in character it made me smile.
Thanks for writing and sharing! =)
[22:31] <@amity> And they care about only two things: Emil/Lalli fanfic, and chewing bubblegum.
[22:31] <@amity> And the word is, they're all out of bubblegum.

Survived:
:chap5::chap6::chap7: :chap20:
:chap8::chap9::chap10:
:chap11::chap12::chap13:
:chap14::chap15::chap16:
:chap17::chap18::chap19: