Author Topic: The SSSS Scriptorium  (Read 780082 times)

LooNEY_DAC

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • DeviantArt
Re: The SSSS Scriptorium
« Reply #1920 on: April 18, 2016, 03:49:21 AM »
Bent and Twisted
A “Stand Still. Stay Silent”/“Avatar: the Last Airbender” crossover fanfic
Part 3
Prior part
Spoiler: show
Leviticus

The lighthouse was on fire.

“I know we’re late, but we’re not that late,” Ása Hardardóttir muttered to herself. The captain of the Túnfiskurinn turned to her nearest lackey and asked, “Are the crates ready for delivery?”

“Yes, Ma’am.”

“Good. I’ll be down momentarily.”

When she reached the forward gunnery station, the Master Harpooner told her, “I don’t like this.”

“And you think I do?”

“I mean that something’s wrong out there. There’s a few people on the dock, but they’re not dressed right.”

Ása gave him a Look. “Just fire the harpoon gun so we can get this over with.” As he obeyed, she muttered to herself, “Every time we do this, I feel a bit of my soul die.”

The harpoons went out; the lines they bore were taken in; and the two crates were sent over.

“Give me the megaphone,” Ása said in sudden decision. Once she had it in hand, she bellowed through it, “TELL YOUR MASTERS THAT THIS IS THE LAST TIME WE’RE MAKING THIS RUN! DO YOU HEAR? YOU’LL HAVE TO FIND SOMEONE ELSE TO DO YOUR FILTHY WORK FOR YOU!”

A voice faintly called something back to them, but it was indecipherable over the murmurs from the Believers among the crew.

“SILENCE!” Ása had worked herself up into a fury now. “Any of you who want to keep making this run can find another boat on which to do it! Helmsman, get us away from this stinking place!”

TWO DAYS EARLIER...

The bridge had collapsed behind them, but Sigrun’s rudimentary metal-bending skills had kept their portion of it up just long enough for their vehicle to slip into the relative safety of the tunnel. Relative safety: the tunnel was cleared every week so as to make it impracticable for Exiles to shelter there for any length of time.

They had spent that first night on a grassy field outside the tunnel mouth, but Sigrun told her new companions-in-arms, “The secret to survival out here is to keep moving on. You linger, you die.” They believed her.

Their second night was spent in an old fortlet, miraculously clear of Horrors. There, they’d found a note telling Exiles that a Sanctuary existed not far away, in a lighthouse on the ancient docks.

“Death-trap,” Sigrun opined immediately, but Tuuri prevailed upon her to let them at least investigate.

Now the lighthouse was on fire and all its former inhabitants were dead.

Apparently, the world-destroying plague had wrecked a few minds without even trying, or so Mikkel and Emil thought, as neither believed in the spirits. Be that as it may, in the aftermath of the Island of Life-Benders’ reopening of its borders to the few survivors of the Reaving, a cult had sprung up around the notion--supposedly a direct revelation from one of the spirits--that the Reaving needed to be appeased in order to keep the Island safe.

The appeasement chosen was a series of sacrifices offered annually on the altar atop the old lighthouse, culminating in a human sacrifice.

Sometimes, Exiles would come to the Appeasers, and would either join or be sacrificed. Mostly, they were sacrificed.

It should be noted that neither Sigrun nor Emil spoke the language of the Island of Life-Benders, and Lalli only spoke the tongue of the Land of Finn, but when the weird bald people started trying to spear them, they reacted accordingly.

So the lighthouse was on fire and all its former inhabitants were dead.

Shortly thereafter, a small ship appeared off the dock, fired off a couple of harpoon-lines, and dropped two crates in the Exiles’ laps. A heavily distorted stream of angry-sounding gibberish echoed from the boat, to which Sigrun replied, “Thank you!”

While Sigrun and Mikkel attacked one crate, Emil struggled with the other, Lalli glowering ominously. Once he noticed, Emil asked, “What?” Everything today had by far exceeded his personal Weirdness Quotient, and he was still twitchy.

When, immediately thereafter, the crate popped open, the lid propelled from within by a tall and lanky boy with a most impressive braid, Emil immediately slammed the crate shut again in an automatic reaction.

After a few moments of confusion, Mikkel came over to the new arrival. Mikkel (and Tuuri) spoke the language of the Island of Life-Benders, and was able to open a brief dialogue. No, this was not the Mark of Denn. Yes, Mikkel was sure of that.

In the meantime, Sigrun had completely flipped out over the idea of yet another non-combatant mouth to feed; Emil was ordered to “guard the prisoner”; Tuuri was impressed by the newcomer’s hair; and Lalli was glowering at the newcomer ominously.

Thus did Reynir Árnasson begin his own involuntary Exile...

Spoiler: Authorial Notes • show
So an earth-bender, a water-bender and a fire-bender walk into a lighthouse...

OwlsG0

• I am occasionally scared by my own hair.
  • Preferred pronouns: She/She?/Human?/ Gender?
« Reply #1921 on: April 18, 2016, 04:18:47 AM »
Bent and Twisted
A “Stand Still. Stay Silent”/“Avatar: the Last Airbender” crossover fanfic
Part 3
Prior part
Leviticus

The lighthouse was on fire.

“I know we’re late, but we’re not that late,” Ása Hardardóttir muttered to herself. The captain of the Túnfiskurinn turned to her nearest lackey and asked, “Are the crates ready for delivery?”

“Yes, Ma’am.”

“Good. I’ll be down momentarily.”

When she reached the forward gunnery station, the Master Harpooner told her, “I don’t like this.”

“And you think I do?”

“I mean that something’s wrong out there. There’s a few people on the dock, but they’re not dressed right.”

Ása gave him a Look. “Just fire the harpoon gun so we can get this over with.” As he obeyed, she muttered to herself, “Every time we do this, I feel a bit of my soul die.”

The harpoons went out; the lines they bore were taken in; and the two crates were sent over.

“Give me the megaphone,” Ása said in sudden decision. Once she had it in hand, she bellowed through it, “TELL YOUR MASTERS THAT THIS IS THE LAST TIME WE’RE MAKING THIS RUN! DO YOU HEAR? YOU’LL HAVE TO FIND SOMEONE ELSE TO DO YOUR FILTHY WORK FOR YOU!”

A voice faintly called something back to them, but it was indecipherable over the murmurs from the Believers among the crew.

“SILENCE!” Ása had worked herself up into a fury now. “Any of you who want to keep making this run can find another boat on which to do it! Helmsman, get us away from this stinking place!”

TWO DAYS EARLIER...

The bridge had collapsed behind them, but Sigrun’s rudimentary metal-bending skills had kept their portion of it up just long enough for their vehicle to slip into the relative safety of the tunnel. Relative safety: the tunnel was cleared every week so as to make it impracticable for Exiles to shelter there for any length of time.

They had spent that first night on a grassy field outside the tunnel mouth, but Sigrun told her new companions-in-arms, “The secret to survival out here is to keep moving on. You linger, you die.” They believed her.

Their second night was spent in an old fortlet, miraculously clear of Horrors. There, they’d found a note telling Exiles that a Sanctuary existed not far away, in a lighthouse on the ancient docks.

“Death-trap,” Sigrun opined immediately, but Tuuri prevailed upon her to let them at least investigate.

Now the lighthouse was on fire and all its former inhabitants were dead.

Apparently, the world-destroying plague had wrecked a few minds without even trying, or so Mikkel and Emil thought, as neither believed in the spirits. Be that as it may, in the aftermath of the Island of Life-Benders’ reopening of its borders to the few survivors of the Reaving, a cult had sprung up around the notion--supposedly a direct revelation from one of the spirits--that the Reaving needed to be appeased in order to keep the Island safe.

The appeasement chosen was a series of sacrifices offered annually on the altar atop the old lighthouse, culminating in a human sacrifice.

Sometimes, Exiles would come to the Appeasers, and would either join or be sacrificed. Mostly, they were sacrificed.

It should be noted that neither Sigrun nor Emil spoke the language of the Island of Life-Benders, and Lalli only spoke the tongue of the Land of Finn, but when the weird bald people started trying to spear them, they reacted accordingly.

So the lighthouse was on fire and all its former inhabitants were dead.

Shortly thereafter, a small ship appeared off the dock, fired off a couple of harpoon-lines, and dropped two crates in the Exiles’ laps. A heavily distorted stream of angry-sounding gibberish echoed from the boat, to which Sigrun replied, “Thank you!”

While Sigrun and Mikkel attacked one crate, Emil struggled with the other, Lalli glowering ominously. Once he noticed, Emil asked, “What?” Everything today had by far exceeded his personal Weirdness Quotient, and he was still twitchy.

When, immediately thereafter, the crate popped open, the lid propelled from within by a tall and lanky boy with a most impressive braid, Emil immediately slammed the crate shut again in an automatic reaction.

After a few moments of confusion, Mikkel came over to the new arrival. Mikkel (and Tuuri) spoke the language of the Island of Life-Benders, and was able to open a brief dialogue. No, this was not the Mark of Denn. Yes, Mikkel was sure of that.

In the meantime, Sigrun had completely flipped out over the idea of yet another non-combatant mouth to feed; Emil was ordered to “guard the prisoner”; Tuuri was impressed by the newcomer’s hair; and Lalli was glowering at the newcomer ominously.

Thus did Reynir Árnasson begin his own involuntary Exile...

Spoiler: Authorial Notes • show
So an earth-bender, a water-bender and a fire-bender walk into a lighthouse...

This is pretty darned fun so far!
I saw the future.
We are not doomed, because our Cat overlords are benevolent leaders :3

:chap11: :book2:  :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16:

OwlsG0

« Reply #1922 on: April 18, 2016, 07:19:12 AM »
More from the prompt challenge

11: Memory http://archiveofourown.org/works/6445972/chapters/15075367
 In which I briefly depart from my usual absurdity

14: Smile http://archiveofourown.org/works/6445972/chapters/15075298
In which I swiftly and vengefully return to my usual absurdity
I saw the future.

Lazy8

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: Name only
« Reply #1923 on: April 18, 2016, 08:08:47 AM »
While OwlsG0 experiments with melancholy, I try my hand at fluff:

18. Rainbow
:usa: native
:spain: comes back in an emergency
:vaticancity: rusty
:china: can usually manage to order food
:norway: can hold a basic conversation

:chap5: | :book2: | :book3: | :chap17: :chap18:

Tr

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Mostly lurking these days
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #1924 on: April 18, 2016, 03:12:23 PM »
Aaaaaaaa, so many good fics! *blanket appreciation of everyone here*
Here, have more fluff! Because you can never have too much fluff!

A fic in which Reynir unbraids his hair and Emil has hairspray. Not shippy. Kind of ridiculous, though.
"Tuuri?"
Immediately, Tuuri could tell something was wrong. "Tuuri!" Reynir yelped. "I need help!"
Tuuri dashed outside, skidding to a stop where Reynir had been peacefully sitting in the sunlight.
"I know it's not her fault," Reynir whimpered, "but I think Kitty's stuck  in  my  hair!"
Tuuri stifled a laugh. Reynir's hair was out of its braid,  and it was piled in glorious red coils all around him, draped over his arms, trailing from his shoulders, shining in the sunlight like a river of red gold.
"Mau?" The kitty poked her head out of the mass of red.
Tuuri chuckled. "Oh, Kitty," she said, and attempted to pick the naughty cat up. Unfortunately, she also picked up about half of Reynir's hair.
She tried to untangle the cat, but the strands of hair were hopelessly intertwined with her paws and tail. This was serious. She needed help... from a professional.
"Emil?" she called.
Emil stuck his head out the Cattank door. "Yes?"
Tuuri gestured hopelessly at the tangled mess in front of her. "We have a problem."
Emil stared. Tuuri could just see the glint of silvery eyes in the tank behind him. Lalli was staring as well. Emil took a deep breath, seeming to gather his wits, and said, "Okay. Okay, I know what to do here. Hang on, I have just the thing." He disappeared back into the Cattank, just as Lalli stepped outside.
He stared at Reynir, then shook his head and muttered something incomprehensible.
"What was that, Lalli?" Tuuri asked, setting the cat down. The adventurous kitty immediately pounced on a stray tendril of hair.
"I said, I'm not dealing with this again. It's your turn." Lalli turned and hopped back into the Cattank.
"What does he mean, again?" Tuuri asked Reynir.
Reynir tried to sit up, but the cat pulled him back down. "Oof! Well, I had a couple dreams. You know, like the mage kind of dreams, only the kind that let you talk to other people while you're  dreaming? Anyway, I went to visit Lalli, just to say hi, because sometimes dreaming is sort of lonely! But he didn't seem to want me there, so he made this huge wave that came and smashed me up against a tree. Then somehow my braid got wrapped around the tree! Lalli had to untangle it since he wanted me to leave."
"Ah." Tuuri suppressed a giggle as she struggled to free the cat from a strand of hair that was wrapped around her paw.
"I found it!" Emil held aloft a small bottle full of clear liquid as he hurried over to help them.
"What's going on here?" Mikkel asked, stepping outside for a better look at the situation.
"Kitty is stuck in my hair!" Reynir explained. "Tuuri and Emil are being really nice and helping me get her out! I'm not sure what Emil's holding, though."
"It's my own recipe," Emil said. "Water, a little lemon juice, and a few secret ingredients, combined to make the best hairspray in the Silent World." He began to spray it on the tangled mess that was Reynir's hair.
"Oh, alright," Mikkel said, then paused. "You do know lemon juice attracts trolls, right?"
"What?" Emil yelped.
Mikkel retreated inside, muttering something about jokes.
Tuuri picked up Reynir's brush as the peaceful scents of lemon and lavender rose into the air. "Reynir?"
"Yeah?"
"Next time, I think you should just keep your hair in a braid."

Spoiler: authors note • show
Warning: I know next to nothing about hair care. Please do not try making Emil's hairspray at home, no matter how much you may want that fluffy, sparkly look.  ;)
It's now my personal headcanon that Emil has homemade hairspray. He invented it during his awful imprisonment time in public school. Also that Lalli has had to untangle Reynir's hair from various things in his dreamspace and is seriously fed up with it by now.
The next thing I write will have something closer to an actual plot. Yes? Maybe? Probably.
Avatar by the amazing and wonderful ginger ^-^ :chap11: :chap12: :chap13:
Fluent :usa:, Learning in school :spain:

SectoBoss

• Ranger
« Reply #1925 on: April 18, 2016, 04:26:53 PM »
I needed a break from writing theses so I wrote fanfiction instead, because of course I did. Here’s a story of some of the ghosts from the chapter just gone possessing Reynir, and making conversation with Mikkel.

Sleepwalker

(I dashed it off in an evening – I hope it doesn’t come across as too thrown-together!)
« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 05:35:52 PM by SectoBoss »
Native: :uk:  Remembers dregs: :france: :vaticancity:  Learning (slowly): :sweden:
Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
Proud owner of a Haizvatar
I write a bit on AO3

KicknRun

• Ranger
  • excitable hatred
  • Preferred pronouns: he/her
« Reply #1926 on: April 18, 2016, 05:30:29 PM »
I needed a break from writing theses so I wrote fanfiction instead, because of course I did. Here’s a story of some of the ghosts from the chapter just gone possessing Reynir, and making conversation with Mikkel.

Sleepwalker

(I dashed it off in an evening – I hope it doesn’t come across as too thown-together!)

does getting infected make you a jerk or what? also, I really liked how the interaction between the ghost and mikkel was displayed. (ugh. Without sounding frou-frou, I'm saying you chose the right words for it) also, it's kinds nice how in this fandom some things just become Facts. Like how we refer to the dream world places as havens

:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
SSSSoulcount:0

Icon drawn by Piney

Tr

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
« Reply #1927 on: April 18, 2016, 06:24:46 PM »

Sleepwalker

(I dashed it off in an evening – I hope it doesn’t come across as too thrown-together!)
/muffled screaming/ AAAAAAAAAA REYNIR!! NOOOO! MIKKEL! AAAAAA!
It doesn't come across as thrown together at all! Well done and terrifying! (That is meant as a compliment. Terrifying is cool. You can take the muffled screaming as a compliment as well.)

SectoBoss

• Ranger
« Reply #1928 on: April 18, 2016, 06:48:17 PM »
does getting infected make you a jerk or what? also, I really liked how the interaction between the ghost and mikkel was displayed. (ugh. Without sounding frou-frou, I'm saying you chose the right words for it) also, it's kinds nice how in this fandom some things just become Facts. Like how we refer to the dream world places as havens

/muffled screaming/ AAAAAAAAAA REYNIR!! NOOOO! MIKKEL! AAAAAA!
It doesn't come across as thrown together at all! Well done and terrifying! (That is meant as a compliment. Terrifying is cool. You can take the muffled screaming as a compliment as well.)

Thanks, glad to hear you liked it! And KicknRun, you're right, some things have just become Facts. I'm wondering now where we got the term 'haven' from...
Native: :uk:  Remembers dregs: :france: :vaticancity:  Learning (slowly): :sweden:
Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
Proud owner of a Haizvatar
I write a bit on AO3

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #1929 on: April 18, 2016, 09:10:00 PM »
SectoBoss: I've commented already over on A3O but will repeat it here: that was subtle, terrifying and amazing. Love it! And that was the work of an evening!!! You know, back in the days of the old story magazines like 'Strand' and 'Argosy', where they had a few writers on tap who could turn out a masterly story in a night if one of their regulars missed a deadline, you would have fitted right in. That story was shuddersome and brilliant.

Kick: I think I may be the one responsible for 'Havens'. I started using that  term for the mage's areas because that's the term I'm familiar with for such things in our world, and one of the common terms used for the concept when ethnomusicologists or cultural anthropologists or folklore collectors discuss it.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Lazy8

• DeviantArt
« Reply #1930 on: April 18, 2016, 09:36:44 PM »
Aaaaaaaa, so many good fics! *blanket appreciation of everyone here*
Here, have more fluff! Because you can never have too much fluff!

That was hilarious and cute, especially the part about "again." Poor kitty! Though isn't hairspray supposed to stiffen hair, so that it holds its shape? Somehow I don't think that would help much in getting Kitty out! Conditioner is much better for untangling.

Tr

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
« Reply #1931 on: April 18, 2016, 09:49:36 PM »
That was hilarious and cute, especially the part about "again." Poor kitty! Though isn't hairspray supposed to stiffen hair, so that it holds its shape? Somehow I don't think that would help much in getting Kitty out! Conditioner is much better for untangling.
Pffff, haha. Oops. Thanks. I would like to repeat: I know nothing about hair care, or hairspray at all. I think I remember reading that lemon juice and water make a good untangling solution? *shrug*
I don't think I've ever used hairspray myself, so you're probably absolutely correct. (If my hair is frizzy or something, I just braid it or put water on it or both.)  ::)

Lazy8

• DeviantArt
« Reply #1932 on: April 18, 2016, 10:16:04 PM »
Pffff, haha. Oops. Thanks. I would like to repeat: I know nothing about hair care, or hairspray at all. I think I remember reading that lemon juice and water make a good untangling solution? *shrug*
I don't think I've ever used hairspray myself, so you're probably absolutely correct. (If my hair is frizzy or something, I just braid it or put water on it or both.)  ::)

Ha! I finally got sick of having to use globs of conditioner and shaved it all off.

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #1933 on: April 18, 2016, 10:17:34 PM »
Tr, that story was sweet and funny! And for the record, that formula would totally work with the addition of camomile tea (for blondes) and a few drops of glycerine (for untangling). Their world would have both, I'd expect. Ideally for a redhead you would use henna, but unless there is some in the greenhouses of Iceland, henna grows way far to the south, in areas they can no longer reach. Camomile and lemon bring out the colour in golden hair, so it might lighten Reynir's hair with repeated use.

Generally rule of thumb is: lemon and camomile for blondes, henna or dyer's alkanet for redheads, sage or gypsywort or camellia tea for brunettes (that last one also covers grey hair).
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

OwlsG0

« Reply #1934 on: April 19, 2016, 12:28:41 AM »

Sleepwalker

SectoBoss: giving you feels for Mikkel Madsen you didn't know you had since always
I saw the future.