Author Topic: The SSSS Scriptorium  (Read 780423 times)

KicknRun

• Ranger
  • excitable hatred
  • Preferred pronouns: he/her
Re: The SSSS Scriptorium
« Reply #1905 on: April 16, 2016, 11:45:03 AM »
You mean, th-th-the... live action movie?

NOOOOOOOOOOO don't watch the live-action movie! Watch the cartoon, it's so much better! *pants*

Seconded.

:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
SSSSoulcount:0

Icon drawn by Piney

Tr

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Mostly lurking these days
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #1906 on: April 16, 2016, 12:36:17 PM »
Why am I doing this?
* LooNEY_DAC waits for legions of furious A:tLA fans to vent their dissatisfaction (possibly through ventilating the author)

Spoiler: Authorial Notes • show
So, this is the overly long and drawn out prologue/background-y thing for the main story.

Reynir will not be the Avatar, OK?

Oooh, delightfully clever! I can't wait for the next part!
is it wrong that I wanted to see Reynir as the Avatar? ;__;

I've never actually seen the live action movie. One of my friends forced me to watch the cartoon instead. (Have I been saved from a horrible fate?)
Avatar by the amazing and wonderful ginger ^-^ :chap11: :chap12: :chap13:
Fluent :usa:, Learning in school :spain:

Lazy8

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: Name only
« Reply #1907 on: April 16, 2016, 12:41:08 PM »
I've never actually seen the live action movie. One of my friends forced me to watch the cartoon instead. (Have I been saved from a horrible fate?)

Hm, let's see...

• Let's recast all of the Asian and Inuit characters as white actors!
  • Who needs female characters anyway? Hey Katara, just sit there and be useless while Zuko beats you with one hit!
  • Pf, who needs real martial arts when you have The Pebble Dance? (Seriously, look up The Pebble Dance. It's hilarious and horrifying both at the same time.

Yep, I'd say you dodged a bullet there.
:usa: native
:spain: comes back in an emergency
:vaticancity: rusty
:china: can usually manage to order food
:norway: can hold a basic conversation

:chap5: | :book2: | :book3: | :chap17: :chap18:

Tr

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Mostly lurking these days
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #1908 on: April 16, 2016, 01:24:25 PM »
Hm, let's see...

• Let's recast all of the Asian and Inuit characters as white actors!
  • Who needs female characters anyway? Hey Katara, just sit there and be useless while Zuko beats you with one hit!
  • Pf, who needs real martial arts when you have The Pebble Dance? (Seriously, look up The Pebble Dance. It's hilarious and horrifying both at the same time.

Yep, I'd say you dodged a bullet there.
*stare* *eye twitch* Whyyyyyy?!!! Why would they do that?
I just watched a bunch of clips with The Pebble Dance. :o I can't tell whether to be horrified or amused.
Avatar by the amazing and wonderful ginger ^-^ :chap11: :chap12: :chap13:
Fluent :usa:, Learning in school :spain:

Athena

• previously Luth Nightbreeze
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #1909 on: April 16, 2016, 06:27:28 PM »
Why am I doing this?
* LooNEY_DAC waits for legions of furious A:tLA fans to vent their dissatisfaction (possibly through ventilating the author)

Bent and Twisted
A “Stand Still. Stay Silent”/“Avatar: the Last Airbender” crossover fanfic
Part 1
Spoiler: show
Genesis

The Four Nations are no more.

Long ago, there were only four types of Bender, and each had their own nation, a harmony of four balanced and maintained by the Avatar.

Then, change. The Avatar was unseated, and war and conquest ruined the old Four Nations and begat a Fifth, wherein the Benders intermingled and intertwined inextricably. Therein sat the Avatar Resurgent, striking down those who wished to upset the balance, whatever their origin and whatever their nominal goals.

Inevitably, the old Nations fell to the new, as the Diatessaron proved irresistible. All types of Bending flourished.

Then, change. A new type of Bender appeared, among the non-Bending inhabitants of a small and isolated island that had been inconsequential for centuries.

The new Benders worked their will not on Earth, Air, Fire or Water, but upon Life Itself; and thus was the Great Tragedy prefigured in their midst.

Most Life-Benders were Plant-Benders, but a very, very few could Bend Flesh. Flesh-Benders were feared from the beginning, even amongst their own, for the horrors that their Bending inevitably wrought. Periodically, the Flesh-Benders were purged, sometimes by their own hands, but they always re-emerged. So it was that the Life-Benders were bound to their Island, lest a Flesh-Bender bring doom upon the world.

The quarantine failed.

Ninety years ago, the Avatar vanished, and the true Horror of the Flesh-Benders was revealed. A small boat landed on the shores of what had been the Earth Nation, bringing with it the Reaving, a plague that Bent those few victims it was not merciful enough to kill into monsters filled with an insatiable bloodlust.

Within a month, the Reaving had spread to every corner of the world--save only the Island of the Life-Benders, whose ostracism proved their salvation. Their land flourished, their Warders turning back even the most determined efforts by bearers of the Reaving to spread that horror to their land--and the Flesh-Benders were purged (again).

While the Reaving killed off most of the nations, some few in each land proved to be immune; the Reaving-Bent Horrors slew most of them in turn.

Within a year, Mankind had nearly been wiped away.

On the Reaving-ravaged lands, four pitiful remnant nations arose, fighting back the Horrors day by day, ever perched on the brink of oblivion. These were in no way the Four Nations of old; within each, the Watch of the Diatessaron was maintained, as it proved the only way to hold back the Horrors of the Reaving; and all of them were in the old Water Nation, far to the north.

Three of these nations huddled close to each other on one mass of land; the last was on an island closer to the old Earth Nation lands.

The Nation of Gnorrs was a seafaring brood, braving the waves to hunt the sea-borne Horrors.

The Finn’s-Land was mostly a lake-bound archipelago; there, a different manner of Diatessaron was practiced, as it had been since before the old Four Nations themselves were founded.

Between the Gnorrs and the Finn’s-Land were the Svensk, a proud and aloof bunch who had kept the Watch and Ways of the Diatessaron the most completely of the four. Despite this, though, they rejected the Avatar as being “mere myth”.

The one island nation, the Mark of Denn, had been peopled by refugees from the main lands, and these mounted mighty efforts to reclaim their lost homes, but to no avail, as they had no Benders amongst them at all.

Eventually, the Life-Benders awoke to the fact that the future of Man now rested with them, and the very few other survivors in the new nations. Tentatively, the extended their hand in friendship to the survivors, who accepted with more or less alacrity, according to their nature.

Now, ninety years after the Reaving struck, life has settled back into a familiar rhythm. The Flow of Life governs and rules the new nations, even as the Reaving still strives to disrupt it.

Those not of the Reaving who yet cannot or will not follow the Flow have a different fate: exile.

So, this is the overly long and drawn out prologue/background-y thing for the main story.

Reynir will not be the Avatar, OK?

This is awesome and most best! thank you LooNEY!
tired programmer girl with stories in her head and magic in her heart

currently working on a video game/digital novel called Keeper of the Labyrinth<3

avatar from the now-unavailable webcomic Prague Race

Regolith247

• DeviantArt
  • Prepare for Lunacy
« Reply #1910 on: April 16, 2016, 07:34:41 PM »
You mean, th-th-the... live action movie?

We don't talk about the live action movie.
"It's easy to believe in something when you win all the time... The losses are what defines a mans faith."
-Brandon Sanderson, The Well of Ascension

Regolith247

• DeviantArt
  • Prepare for Lunacy
« Reply #1911 on: April 16, 2016, 07:41:57 PM »
Every person has a sielulintu (= soul bird), but I imagine that in Minnaverse only mages can actually see theirs in the dreamworld. Likewise she might have the sielulintu as a Finn-only thing, considering Reynir doesn't seem to have/need one. Sielulintu is linked to the first soul, henki, and represents life energy, so when a person dies sielulintu flies away from them. It can leave for very short periods of time when someone is gravely ill or injured without the person dying, but then you know they're very near death.

The carved birds are largely an east Finnish tradition and though they almost disappeared for a while they're now making a comeback in the Karelian areas. The bird over the cradle of a child was put there to keep the sielulintu still during the night as they were perfectly capable of flying around when their owner was asleep, and if the bird would escape while the child slept the child would die.

In short, the presence of a sielulintu marks somebody's life energy and the one we see marking Lalli's safe return from the mage chatroom is what's tying him to life.

Wow! Thanks Laufey! I guess I kinda assumed that the bird was Onni's owl, since it looked on page 486 like they might be one and the same. The sielulintu makes it so much more interesting!
"It's easy to believe in something when you win all the time... The losses are what defines a mans faith."
-Brandon Sanderson, The Well of Ascension

LooNEY_DAC

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #1912 on: April 16, 2016, 09:45:19 PM »
Hm, an interesting start. Flesh benders, you say? Sounds like bloodbending.
See the Authorial Notes for why it isn't.

Bent and Twisted
A “Stand Still. Stay Silent”/“Avatar: the Last Airbender” crossover fanfic
Part 2
Prior part
Spoiler: show
Exodus

The loud Dennish Admiral eyed the five soon-to-be-exiles waiting at the Exodus Point and thought they were a motley group, to be sure.

Emil ex-Västerström was a Svensk fire-bender whose tendency to involuntarily ignite anything around him was considered an embarrassment at best and a danger at worst. He had tried to join the Watch of the Diatessaron, and they did try to set him on the right path; in fact, he became very good at energy-bending in its various forms under their tutelage. But the twitch within him that kept igniting things around him proved beyond their control, so he had to be sent away.

Sigrun ex-Eide, a Gnorr and a friend of a friend of the Admiral, had said too loud and too often that the Gnorrs’ cowering in their settlements instead of charging out to fight the Horrors headlong would lead to their demise; her too-aggressive nature had led all  of her superiors, her parents even included, to send her off to conquer or to die, though her parents obviously hoped for the former. Her earth-bending was of the ancient “FOR MASSIVE DESTRUCTION!!!!!!!!” style, as well.

Mikkel ex-Madsen, the only Dennish among the group, was two meters plus of utter enigma. While the others were almost eager to explain/complain about their Exile, Mikkel maintained a Sphinx-like silence on the matter.

More than she wanted her next breath, Tuuri ex-Hotakainen wanted to see the world beyond her walled hometown, and if Exile was the only way for that to happen, so be it. For this reason, she had been judged dangerously insane, as her compulsion to explore would certainly end in her contracting the Reaving and bringing it back to wipe the rest of them out. She was the only one of this group of Exiles who was not Immune to the Reaving, so the Admiral somewhat sadly knew he’d never see her again, even if some of the others managed to Return.

Lalli ex-Hotakainen, a water-bender of the ancient style who thus utterly eschewed the Diatessaron, had responded to the sentencing of his cousin Tuuri to Exile, and its rationale, with the simple condemnation, “You’re all idiots and fools”, which was enough that he was made to accompany Tuuri.

There were a few others around, both to bid the new Exiles farewell and to ensure that they actually left: the Admiral’s old Gnorr friend Trond; a cousin to the ex-Hotakainens, Taru Hollola; and Emil’s Aunt Siv and Uncle Torbjörn. The Admiral himself was standing as Mikkel’s witness.

They were an unusually large group to go into Exile; usually Exiles set off singly or in pairs at the most. The fact that they were five not only improved their chances (hey, “nonexistent” to “barely any” was still an improvement) for a successful Return, but also allowed their witnesses to pool their funds for a better Final Gift for the group; in this case, they had been able to afford an actual vehicle, dingy and run-down though it was. With it, the Admiral estimated their chances had risen all the way to “with a loooooot of luck”.

Exile was for a year and a day; then or after, theoretically, the Exiled could Return without penalty, and even with feasting. To the best of the Admiral’s knowledge, a Return had happened precisely three times in the sixteen years of weekly Exilings with which he’d been involved. Should they try to re-enter the Safe Areas before the year and a day had passed, the Exiled were to be killed on sight. That had happened more often than the Admiral cared to remember.

Somehow, Old Trond had wangled a couple of crates of food for the new Exiles, and once they were loaded, they piled into the vehicle and scurried off across the Old Bridge. A few times, Emil unconsciously ignited something and Lalli just as unconsciously put it out. Each time this happened, Emil first cringed as though expecting a reprimand and then shook himself when nothing happened. So the two boys seemed to be getting along well thus far. Now, if the mass of rusting metal that was the Old Bridge would just stay up for them...

On Flesh-Bending:

A major feature of Life-Bending is enabling rapid growth and controlling how that growth expresses itself.

Plant-Benders can take a seed or a cutting, place it on the ground, and suddenly tree, or even forest.

Flesh-Benders can make a normal animal do this.

Aside from the supreme Darkness of Flesh-Bending, neither it nor Plant-Bending are anything like Blood-Bending.

Lazy8

• DeviantArt
« Reply #1913 on: April 16, 2016, 10:46:07 PM »
Yeah, I dipped a toe into the shippy stuff. Don't get used to it.

16. Questioning

Pupunen

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
« Reply #1914 on: April 17, 2016, 02:10:14 AM »
So, a Finn, a Swede and a Norwegian walked into an abandoned building...

Kudos to you for bravely being the first! :) Hadn't thought about it before, but maybe mildly judging Emil in disbelief is the one thing Lalli and Sigrun have in common...

And the Swede must always be the butt of the joke... :D

I hope to see a Finnish fic from you at some point! Don't leave mine all alone.
Native: :finland:
Fluent: :sweden: :uk:
Good: :italy:
Understand but don't speak: :denmark: :norway:
Basics: :russia: :wales: :iceland: :vaticancity:

:chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15:

AquaAurion

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #1915 on: April 17, 2016, 03:21:08 AM »
Avatar crossover!!!  ;D I'm looking forward to see what you do with it!

Eagerly waiting since November 2014:  :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02:
(✿σ‿σ) ~<3

OwlsG0

• I am occasionally scared by my own hair.
  • Preferred pronouns: She/She?/Human?/ Gender?
« Reply #1916 on: April 17, 2016, 04:31:04 AM »
Mother Nature: http://archiveofourown.org/works/6445972/chapters/15049798

Regarding the semi-sensitive nature of this prompt, please read the notes at the front. I mean, when I saw this prompt what I wrote was kind of just the obvious choice.
I saw the future.
We are not doomed, because our Cat overlords are benevolent leaders :3

:chap11: :book2:  :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16:

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #1917 on: April 17, 2016, 08:35:42 AM »
LooNEY, Lazy8, and OwlsGo: excellent stories all, and very different. Great reading!
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Lazy8

• DeviantArt
« Reply #1918 on: April 17, 2016, 02:17:35 PM »
There are times when I feel like I'm just writing a bunch of philosophical ramblings.

17. Blood

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #1919 on: April 17, 2016, 05:55:02 PM »
A bunch of philosophical ramblings is no bad thing. Lets us imagine how it is to be the characters. Or the trolls. Good story.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!