Author Topic: The SSSS Scriptorium  (Read 780183 times)

OwlsG0

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • I am occasionally scared by my own hair.
  • Preferred pronouns: She/She?/Human?/ Gender?
Re: The SSSS Scriptorium
« Reply #1890 on: April 14, 2016, 11:16:49 PM »
Tr, we need fluff to balance out Aliax, Lazy8 and myself, who can be a bit grim at times.

Kirlaly is good at fluffiness. If Tr and Kirlaly join forces, we should be fine. After all, you only need one candle to penetrate the darkness.

And that sounds like a quote from the back of a bar-napkin or something you would write on the wall of a bathroom cubicle
I saw the future.
We are not doomed, because our Cat overlords are benevolent leaders :3

:chap11: :book2:  :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16:

OwlsG0

« Reply #1891 on: April 15, 2016, 09:04:54 AM »
27: Friendship http://archiveofourown.org/works/6445972/chapters/15011236

In which Sigrun has a few too many at a bar and lets Mikkel know all about it
(no real crude humour. Just Sigrun thinking the radio is god and mistaking Emil for a beautiful woman, whom she assumes Mikkel wants to court)
I saw the future.

Kiraly

• Tumblr
  • SSSSinnamon roll
  • Preferred pronouns: she, her, etc.
« Reply #1892 on: April 15, 2016, 11:27:38 AM »
27: Friendship http://archiveofourown.org/works/6445972/chapters/15011236

In which Sigrun has a few too many at a bar and lets Mikkel know all about it
(no real crude humour. Just Sigrun thinking the radio is god and mistaking Emil for a beautiful woman, whom she assumes Mikkel wants to court)

Okay, the description here is awesome by itself, but the actual product is SO MUCH BETTER!!! (I wish I could give kudos more than once).

It hasn't been mentioned as part of the fluff/angst spectrum, but since we're lauding people for their particular strengths as fic writers, OwlsG0 is really excellent at writing funny things. :))
Languages: :usa: (native) :mexico: (conversational but out of practice) :germany: (attempting to learn)
Survivor: :artd::book1+::chap6::chap7::chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21:

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #1893 on: April 15, 2016, 11:50:26 AM »
OwlsG0, that was way funny. Counterbalances the angst.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Pupunen

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
« Reply #1894 on: April 15, 2016, 05:20:31 PM »
Letizia brought up the sad lack of Finnish-language SSSS fanfiction a while back, so I decided to do my part to improve the situation. (And Róisín, you wanted poetry – there's kind of an attempt at that, too.)

I also have a silly little thing for those of you who don't understand Finnish.

And though I'm not participating in NaNoWriMo (NaPoWriMo is enough), it's great to see so much writing going on! I've been trying to keep up with all the fun stuff everyone is writing. :)
Native: :finland:
Fluent: :sweden: :uk:
Good: :italy:
Understand but don't speak: :denmark: :norway:
Basics: :russia: :wales: :iceland: :vaticancity:

:chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15:

Regolith247

• DeviantArt
  • Prepare for Lunacy
« Reply #1895 on: April 15, 2016, 06:41:27 PM »
39: Dreams http://archiveofourown.org/works/6445972/chapters/14990293

In which Reynir gets to take a look at everyone's lunontos/ fylgja

9: Drive http://archiveofourown.org/works/6445972/chapters/14990314

In which Tuuri is young and determined to discover a bigger world

Awesome job, OwlsG0! You did a great job describing all of the fylgjas! Makes me wonder though- as a non-mage Finn, does Tuuri get a Fylgja? Or would that be considered a luonto, who she just can't communicate with like Lalli and Onni can?
"It's easy to believe in something when you win all the time... The losses are what defines a mans faith."
-Brandon Sanderson, The Well of Ascension

OwlsG0

« Reply #1896 on: April 15, 2016, 07:09:29 PM »

Awesome job, OwlsG0! You did a great job describing all of the fylgjas! Makes me wonder though- as a non-mage Finn, does Tuuri get a Fylgja? Or would that be considered a luonto, who she just can't communicate with like Lalli and Onni can?

Remember way back in the comic where Lalli had that strange bird thing with him when he was trying to find Onni? Silen- something? I think for people who aren't mages, they only have those floaty thingies. And instead the Icelandic have only the fylgjas, but the people who can see them are able to use them the way a Finnish mage uses their luonto
I saw the future.

Lazy8

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: Name only
« Reply #1897 on: April 15, 2016, 11:27:21 PM »
I hope you're happy, NaNo. I have completely lost my ability to go to bed at a decent hour, all because of you.

In which Lalli and Sigrun are sick, and everyone is worried.

15. Silence
:usa: native
:spain: comes back in an emergency
:vaticancity: rusty
:china: can usually manage to order food
:norway: can hold a basic conversation

:chap5: | :book2: | :book3: | :chap17: :chap18:

LooNEY_DAC

• DeviantArt
« Reply #1898 on: April 15, 2016, 11:39:22 PM »
Remember way back in the comic where Lalli had that strange bird thing with him when he was trying to find Onni? Silen- something? I think for people who aren't mages, they only have those floaty thingies. And instead the Icelandic have only the fylgjas, but the people who can see them are able to use them the way a Finnish mage uses their luonto
The floaty thingie is a sielulientu, which only mages would have. All Finns have a luonto rather than a fylgja.

Unless I'm wrong. Laufey would be an authoritative source, though.

Róisín

« Reply #1899 on: April 16, 2016, 12:27:01 AM »
As I understand sielulintu (Laufey will likely know more), sielulintu delivered the soul to the body before or as a child was born (and isn't it interesting how many variants of that idea turn up in European folklore? Maybe that's where the idea that babies are brought by the stork comes from?).

Anyway, the bird-shaped sielulintu guarded the child's sleep, especially in the vulnerable period before the luonto took up residence, and continued to do so through life. It used to be common to have a little carving representing the sielulintu, generally of wood, which a person wore in life, and which was, after their death, hung on or attached to their grave marker. That Pagan belief seems to have persisted into Christian times, certainly there were still a few to be seen on backcountry graves when I was in Finland some decades ago. It left the body at death, possibly serving as a final guide to Tuonela.

I suspect this is different for mages in story? Lalli seems to be using his as a marker to find his way home to his own space from the wider dreamworld in the first scenes where we see him there, and I've heard of it being used as a marker for transitions between states in some rituals (we Celts would use a point of light, or write something in Ogham letters on a tree or rock. Some Asian and Native American traditions use a plant, animal or stone as such a marker.)

Most of what little I know about Finnish magical and shamanic practices comes from friends who live in Australia but keep Finnish or Estonian family traditions. Most of them are at least a generation removed from those countries, so things may well have been lost. As mentioned earlier, Laufey may know more.

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #1900 on: April 16, 2016, 03:27:50 AM »
Every person has a sielulintu (= soul bird), but I imagine that in Minnaverse only mages can actually see theirs in the dreamworld. Likewise she might have the sielulintu as a Finn-only thing, considering Reynir doesn't seem to have/need one. Sielulintu is linked to the first soul, henki, and represents life energy, so when a person dies sielulintu flies away from them. It can leave for very short periods of time when someone is gravely ill or injured without the person dying, but then you know they're very near death.

The carved birds are largely an east Finnish tradition and though they almost disappeared for a while they're now making a comeback in the Karelian areas. The bird over the cradle of a child was put there to keep the sielulintu still during the night as they were perfectly capable of flying around when their owner was asleep, and if the bird would escape while the child slept the child would die.

In short, the presence of a sielulintu marks somebody's life energy and the one we see marking Lalli's safe return from the mage chatroom is what's tying him to life.
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

LooNEY_DAC

• DeviantArt
« Reply #1901 on: April 16, 2016, 10:12:09 AM »
Why am I doing this?
* LooNEY_DAC waits for legions of furious A:tLA fans to vent their dissatisfaction (possibly through ventilating the author)

Bent and Twisted
A “Stand Still. Stay Silent”/“Avatar: the Last Airbender” crossover fanfic
Part 1
Spoiler: show
Genesis

The Four Nations are no more.

Long ago, there were only four types of Bender, and each had their own nation, a harmony of four balanced and maintained by the Avatar.

Then, change. The Avatar was unseated, and war and conquest ruined the old Four Nations and begat a Fifth, wherein the Benders intermingled and intertwined inextricably. Therein sat the Avatar Resurgent, striking down those who wished to upset the balance, whatever their origin and whatever their nominal goals.

Inevitably, the old Nations fell to the new, as the Diatessaron proved irresistible. All types of Bending flourished.

Then, change. A new type of Bender appeared, among the non-Bending inhabitants of a small and isolated island that had been inconsequential for centuries.

The new Benders worked their will not on Earth, Air, Fire or Water, but upon Life Itself; and thus was the Great Tragedy prefigured in their midst.

Most Life-Benders were Plant-Benders, but a very, very few could Bend Flesh. Flesh-Benders were feared from the beginning, even amongst their own, for the horrors that their Bending inevitably wrought. Periodically, the Flesh-Benders were purged, sometimes by their own hands, but they always re-emerged. So it was that the Life-Benders were bound to their Island, lest a Flesh-Bender bring doom upon the world.

The quarantine failed.

Ninety years ago, the Avatar vanished, and the true Horror of the Flesh-Benders was revealed. A small boat landed on the shores of what had been the Earth Nation, bringing with it the Reaving, a plague that Bent those few victims it was not merciful enough to kill into monsters filled with an insatiable bloodlust.

Within a month, the Reaving had spread to every corner of the world--save only the Island of the Life-Benders, whose ostracism proved their salvation. Their land flourished, their Warders turning back even the most determined efforts by bearers of the Reaving to spread that horror to their land--and the Flesh-Benders were purged (again).

While the Reaving killed off most of the nations, some few in each land proved to be immune; the Reaving-Bent Horrors slew most of them in turn.

Within a year, Mankind had nearly been wiped away.

On the Reaving-ravaged lands, four pitiful remnant nations arose, fighting back the Horrors day by day, ever perched on the brink of oblivion. These were in no way the Four Nations of old; within each, the Watch of the Diatessaron was maintained, as it proved the only way to hold back the Horrors of the Reaving; and all of them were in the old Water Nation, far to the north.

Three of these nations huddled close to each other on one mass of land; the last was on an island closer to the old Earth Nation lands.

The Nation of Gnorrs was a seafaring brood, braving the waves to hunt the sea-borne Horrors.

The Finn’s-Land was mostly a lake-bound archipelago; there, a different manner of Diatessaron was practiced, as it had been since before the old Four Nations themselves were founded.

Between the Gnorrs and the Finn’s-Land were the Svensk, a proud and aloof bunch who had kept the Watch and Ways of the Diatessaron the most completely of the four. Despite this, though, they rejected the Avatar as being “mere myth”.

The one island nation, the Mark of Denn, had been peopled by refugees from the main lands, and these mounted mighty efforts to reclaim their lost homes, but to no avail, as they had no Benders amongst them at all.

Eventually, the Life-Benders awoke to the fact that the future of Man now rested with them, and the very few other survivors in the new nations. Tentatively, the extended their hand in friendship to the survivors, who accepted with more or less alacrity, according to their nature.

Now, ninety years after the Reaving struck, life has settled back into a familiar rhythm. The Flow of Life governs and rules the new nations, even as the Reaving still strives to disrupt it.

Those not of the Reaving who yet cannot or will not follow the Flow have a different fate: exile.

Spoiler: Authorial Notes • show
So, this is the overly long and drawn out prologue/background-y thing for the main story.

Reynir will not be the Avatar, OK?

Lazy8

• DeviantArt
« Reply #1902 on: April 16, 2016, 10:25:03 AM »
Why am I doing this?
* LooNEY_DAC waits for legions of furious A:tLA fans to vent their dissatisfaction (possibly through ventilating the author)

Bent and Twisted
A “Stand Still. Stay Silent”/“Avatar: the Last Airbender” crossover fanfic
Part 1

Hm, an interesting start. Flesh benders, you say? Sounds like bloodbending.

Róisín

« Reply #1903 on: April 16, 2016, 10:40:57 AM »
This looks promising, LooNEY! Since the earlier fanfic that referenced benders, I've actually watched the recent film,so now have some idea of what is going on.

Lazy8

• DeviantArt
« Reply #1904 on: April 16, 2016, 11:09:01 AM »
This looks promising, LooNEY! Since the earlier fanfic that referenced benders, I've actually watched the recent film,so now have some idea of what is going on.

You mean, th-th-the... live action movie?

NOOOOOOOOOOO don't watch the live-action movie! Watch the cartoon, it's so much better! *pants*