Author Topic: The SSSS Scriptorium  (Read 776894 times)

Róisín

• Elder of the Ruined Realm
Re: The SSSS Scriptorium
« Reply #1800 on: March 27, 2016, 09:13:02 PM »
Keeps getting better, and your writing voice is growing more confident.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

OwlsG0

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • I am occasionally scared by my own hair.
  • Preferred pronouns: She/She?/Human?/ Gender?
« Reply #1801 on: March 27, 2016, 09:51:42 PM »
Keeps getting better, and your writing voice is growing more confident.

Thanks! Always good to know there are actually improvements going on. I'm sure this is the same with a lot of people, but I tend to just write automatically and only stop every now and then to make a conscious decision about word-choices. It really pays to edit, though. If there were a hall of fame for bad grammar and stupid typos, I'd be a regular submitter.
I saw the future.
We are not doomed, because our Cat overlords are benevolent leaders :3

:chap11: :book2:  :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16:

Athena

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • previously Luth Nightbreeze
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #1802 on: March 27, 2016, 10:30:13 PM »
Yesterday's damp and foggy weather reminded me of the cheerful events at the end of chapter 7.

http://archiveofourown.org/works/6371449

A good looking the inner workings of Lalli's mind! :)
tired programmer girl with stories in her head and magic in her heart

currently working on a video game/digital novel called Keeper of the Labyrinth<3

avatar from the now-unavailable webcomic Prague Race

Pupunen

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
« Reply #1803 on: March 28, 2016, 06:19:47 AM »
Very well made! This thread gets better and better.
This is really good!
I enjoyed that, thank you. 
A good looking the inner workings of Lalli's mind! :)

Thank you for the nice comments, everyone! :)

I'm sure this is the same with a lot of people, but I tend to just write automatically and only stop every now and then to make a conscious decision about word-choices.

Haha, I kind of wish I was able to write like that, too. I tend to spend a lot of time checking if words mean what I think they mean and if they are appropriate to use in the context I want to use them in (especially when writing in English, since I'm not a native speaker, but in Finnish too). My current obsession is sentence structure, though: I've noticed I have a bad habit of writing terribly long sentences that make my texts difficult to read. I have to consciously force myself to cut the biggest monsters into smaller pieces and to insert short sentences here and there. :D

I'm curious to see what happens next in your story, by the way!
Native: :finland:
Fluent: :sweden: :uk:
Good: :italy:
Understand but don't speak: :denmark: :norway:
Basics: :russia: :wales: :iceland: :vaticancity:

:chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15:

OwlsG0

« Reply #1804 on: March 28, 2016, 06:37:06 AM »
Thank you for the nice comments, everyone! :)

Haha, I kind of wish I was able to write like that, too. I tend to spend a lot of time checking if words mean what I think they mean and if they are appropriate to use in the context I want to use them in (especially when writing in English, since I'm not a native speaker, but in Finnish too). My current obsession is sentence structure, though: I've noticed I have a bad habit of writing terribly long sentences that make my texts difficult to read. I have to consciously force myself to cut the biggest monsters into smaller pieces and to insert short sentences here and there. :D

I'm curious to see what happens next in your story, by the way!

Your English is very fluid and fluent for not being from a native language. I hope you get more comfortable with the language as you go on. I've tried writing in Spanish before, of which I have very little, so it comes out less comprehensive and more like I just smashed my face on the keyboard while hoping for the best.

Sentence structure is the one that gets me too! I'm always worried about not having a varied collection of sentence openings or putting commas in the same darned place every time. And I totally get the pain about long sentences- I remember one that ended up being 100 words long. A drabble sized sentence.

I enjoyed your recent story as well- the one everyone's been showering some well-deserved praise on. You did a great job shining some light on a kind of difficult and enigmatic character!
I saw the future.

Asterales

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #1805 on: March 31, 2016, 10:25:40 PM »
Likewise here Lalli the Challenge. I didn't think I would end up here any time soon. I still don't have time to read through the pages accumulated Tuuri far. Forgive me! I plan on looking through them once August rolls around or maybe a bit earlier, if I have the time.

As Lalli the challenge: Don't expect anything longer Sigrun me than this.
Spoiler: 52. Deep in Thought • show

Day 2

Grey washed into grey at the horizon, the daylight dying an unnoticed death, hidden the human eye by clouds, heavy and thick, pressing down onto the mountains sides. Undiminished. Endless.
Droplets burst and sprayed up as fine mist. Gusts wind ripped apart the waves’ white crowns and whipped them up and over the haven’s small pier.
Aksel watched the water’s rapid descent, the paths it left sluicing over the cool window pane touching his forehead and cheek.
The single drops were indistinguishable. They hit and vanished, as if they had never been.
There was a web of lines, arching and spreading over the smooth surface of the glass.
In the next moment, the pattern changed. Aksel lifted his head.
Light streamed past him and merged the shadow with the rest of the luminous pane.
Berit Eide looked up when her grandson sighed. “What is it, my Dear?”
“Oh, nothing.” Aksel looked in the direction of the window once more. “It’s like the end the world out there.” Then he brightened. “But I am glad you are here! You’ll see, I’ll take good care you! And you won’t need to worry about catching the rash illness anymore!”
Berit Eide looked towards the ceiling with a barely suppressed sigh, but the small smile on her lips was the only thing Aksel needed to see to know he had done the right thing. He sat next to her on the couch. He would take such good care of her! And he was glad she trusted him to keep her safe. Even though she had brought the Devil.
The Devil was not safe.
“Aksel, don't stare at Lucifer that way. You know he doesn't like it. He will scratch you again.”

Windfighter, I don't know the characters, but the interactions were nice and believable. The characters felt 'comfortable' with each other. Now I want to know more about August and the Father. I think as a stand alone it's probably not enough info on the characters. It is a really nice filet, though!
« Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 11:48:32 AM by Asterales »
Native :germany:
Pretty alright :uk:
Not used for longer than learned :spain: :france:
Getting better :japan:
Rather awful :china:

OwlsG0

« Reply #1806 on: April 01, 2016, 04:58:32 AM »
Um, is anyone else having a problem where their posts have been inexplicably filled with 'Mikkel' and 'Reynir' all over the place, or is that just me? Because those fine lands have sneaked into every post of mine I've seen today
I saw the future.

Pupunen

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
« Reply #1807 on: April 01, 2016, 04:59:12 AM »
Um, is anyone else having a problem where their posts have been inexplicably filled with 'Mikkel' and 'Reynir' all over the place, or is that just me? Because those fine lands have sneaked into every post Mikkel mine I've seen today
It's April 1st. :)
Native: :finland:
Fluent: :sweden: :uk:
Good: :italy:
Understand but don't speak: :denmark: :norway:
Basics: :russia: :wales: :iceland: :vaticancity:

:chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15:

OwlsG0

« Reply #1808 on: April 01, 2016, 05:02:50 AM »

Oh for Pete's sake
Well played, Forum, well played. I gift-wrapped my parent's door so they had to Hulk-smash out of the wrapping to get to the bathroom and told my sister she was late for school, with a week still left on her Easter holidays. She was getting on her bike before she realised her mistake and came back into the house with a stick to claim her revenge
I saw the future.

Asterales

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #1809 on: April 01, 2016, 05:08:27 AM »
Oh Lalli Pete's sake
Well played, Forum, well played.

All the visitors reading through the Forum will think we are one very obsessed Fandom :'D

OwlsG0

« Reply #1810 on: April 01, 2016, 05:11:55 AM »
All the visitors reading through the Forum will think we are one very obsessed Fandom :'D

If one of the admins are riffling through posts to change these by hand, they sure are committed. This is a labour of love! Even if the forum visitors do conclude we are an obsessed fandom, they should give most of the credit to whoever the brilliant giggling maniac is, sabotaging the posts with name-drops.
I saw the future.

Asterales

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #1811 on: April 01, 2016, 05:45:58 AM »
If one Mikkel the admins are riffling through posts to change these by hand, they sure are committed. This is a labour Mikkel love! Even if the forum visitors do conclude we are an obsessed fandom, they should give most Mikkel the credit to whoever the brilliant giggling maniac is, sabotaging the posts with name-drops.
Agreed! Though, it must Reynir an 'algorithm' or whatever you call them. There are names Sigrun Sigrun the first page to Mikkel the very last Mikkel all the threads I have looked into. Surely that is too much even the most Lalli committed giggling maniac ;D
I just hope it goes back to normal all by itself...
« Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 05:52:44 AM by Asterales »

AquaAurion

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #1812 on: April 01, 2016, 06:46:00 AM »
Um, is anyone else having a problem where their posts have been inexplicably filled with 'Mikkel' and 'Reynir' all over the place, or is that just me? Because those fine lands have sneaked into every post Mikkel mine I've seen today
I thought people did it on purpose as a joke, but if it's an algorithm of something it's even better :D

Eagerly waiting since November 2014:  :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02:
(✿σ‿σ) ~<3

Talimee

• Scout
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #1813 on: April 01, 2016, 06:46:21 AM »
Agreed! Though, it must Reynir an 'algorithm' or whatever you call them. There are names Sigrun Sigrun the first page to Mikkel the very last Mikkel all the threads I have looked into. Surely that is too much even the most Lalli committed giggling maniac ;D
I just hope it goes back to normal all by itself...

I think I figured it out. Certain prepositions are replaced with a character's name. [o f] = Mikkel for excample.

I gift-wrapped my parent's door Tuuri they had to Hulk-smash out Mikkel the wrapping to get to the bathroom and told my sister she was late Lalli school, with a week still left on her Easter holidays. She was getting on her bike before she realised her mistake and came back into the house with a stick to claim her revenge

Those are great ideas. I'm glad you didn't play them on me. XD I would totally be fooled like your sister (and react like her).
[22:31] <@amity> And they care about only two things: Emil/Lalli fanfic, and chewing bubblegum.
[22:31] <@amity> And the word is, they're all out of bubblegum.

Survived:
:chap5::chap6::chap7: :chap20:
:chap8::chap9::chap10:
:chap11::chap12::chap13:
:chap14::chap15::chap16:
:chap17::chap18::chap19:

AquaAurion

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #1814 on: April 01, 2016, 07:13:23 AM »
I think I figured it out. Certain prepositions are replaced with a character's name. [o f] = Mikkel Lalli excample.
I figured s o as well :P

Tuuri seems to b e [s o] and Reynir [b e]

Eagerly waiting since November 2014:  :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02:
(✿σ‿σ) ~<3