Author Topic: The SSSS Scriptorium  (Read 779979 times)

LooNEY_DAC

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • DeviantArt
Re: The SSSS Scriptorium
« Reply #945 on: September 26, 2015, 12:28:15 AM »
So, SectoBoss kindly said I could do this. I hope it holds up.

Waiting
A “Stand Still. Stay Silent” fanfic
Spoiler: show

No one slept that first night after it happened; the Incident had left everyone too on-edge for that. Yet none of them spoke, either; a Silence lay upon the company so thickly that it could be felt, even by the oblivious Lalli and the super-optimistic Reynir.

Usually, they would spend the night in speculation of what might be found on the next day’s run, or discussing what they’d already found, or (increasingly as they probed deeper into the Old City) the obstacles in their path. This night, however, all of them kept silent through the long, long hours of darkness.

Perhaps part of it was that, for the first time in a long time, the garrulous Reynir was absent from the vehicle. At Sigrun’s insistence, a quarantine had been established on him, rather than Tuuri, so that she could continue her duties more or less unhindered, and so the redhead and Mikkel, and that silly kitten, had set up a small tent abutting the vehicle on its doorless side. Again, their absence might have been part of why the vehicle was silent all through that night.

That, however, wouldn’t explain why the tent was quiet, as well, Reynir and Mikkel each pretending to sleep so the other wouldn’t worry.

No one slept the night before Judgement Day; but, again, none of the company conversed with each other.

Tuuri had shut herself into the vehicle’s cabin before dinner, and wound up spending all night in there, by herself; the others minded her obvious desire for privacy, and stayed away until morning.

Lalli was out scouting, as it was all he could do; he ran and ran and ran through the night as though compelled, unable to slow himself though his legs nearly gave beneath him, unable to stop or even to pace himself; unable to escape the knowledge of what tomorrow might bring.

Emil was trying not to think about Tuuri, and failing. Even thoughts of fire-burn-BURN couldn’t hold his mind away from the harsh reality that tomorrow might well see her end. He wondered if Mikkel would do it, or Sigrun, or even Lalli, as her kinsman. Then, the thought that he’d fought against all night popped back to the surface: would he have to? Could he, even, if he had to? He’d set the dog free, but that had been so different as to be incomparable. It had been just another beast-dog; Tuuri was his friend and comrade.

Sigrun and Mikkel spent all night outside, staring at the fire neither had put out after dinner. Neither spoke, nor exchanged looks; they merely sat, side by side, each with an arm around the other. Each ignored the tears streaming down their faces, or the occasional sob that worked its way out. They simply sat there, through the whole night.

Reynir was in the dream-world; but he was not asleep. Instead, he was frantically searching for the Two Who Ruled, the source of his embryonic and fledgling powers, Odin and Freya. He had to find them. He had to let them know how important, how intelligent, how kind Tuuri was, and what a blow her loss would be, not just to the team, but to the world. He had to let them know... that they should take him instead. But he couldn’t find them, no matter how he searched and searched as the night wore on.

Mikkel waited until almost mid-day to make his final examination, but not because he needed to give the Rash any more time to reveal itself. For the first time in a long, long time, Mikkel Madsen was having trouble gathering his professional detachment.

The examination was hideously thorough, Mikkel going over every inch of Tuuri so horribly slowly that it began to seem that the two of them had been like this forever, doctor and patient, and that they would remain like this forever. The itch on the back of her neck tortured her even as he moved to that part--and paused.

Tuuri didn’t breathe for what seemed an eternity, spots beginning to flicker in her sight before Mikkel said something in his soft, deep voice that she couldn’t understand. He repeated himself, and for a moment, she thought she was simply hearing what she wanted him to say instead of what he actually said, but eventually it sank in.

“You can get dressed again, Tuuri. You’re clear.”

The other four were standing outside the exam area, motionless with the tension, as Mikkel emerged. His thumbs-up--for some reason, it seemed he couldn’t make himself speak--broke the spell.

Reynir fainted, the kitten in his pocket mewing quietly in confusion.

Sigrun sniffed, as if to say “I told you so”, and turned away, trying to busy herself by field-stripping and cleaning her weapon for the twenty-seventh time that day.

Emil jumped to his feet and grabbed first Lalli, and then Mikkel, and then Sigrun in surprisingly strong hugs.

Lalli suffered Emil’s hug and then slipped into the vehicle to finally get some sleep.

When Tuuri finally emerged, Emil grabbed her in yet another hug, unashamedly weeping this time, and then Sigrun joined in, and Mikkel, and a Reynir only partly recovered from his faint, and then even Lalli emerged and joined the sodden mass, as Emil’s tears had sparked Tuuri’s and Reynir’s, and even the dour medic and their crazy captain had allowed themselves a few sniffles.

The first thing Sigrun told Tuuri after they’d all extricated themselves and pretended to go about their business was, “Put your mask on, Tuuri.”

Spoiler:  Authorial Notes • show

By permission, echoing off of SectoBoss’ magnificent ”Kastrup Calling”.

It was going to be longer, but it came out shorter. Oh, well.

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #946 on: September 26, 2015, 12:46:40 AM »
Oh! Wow! You two bounce off each other so well. Yay, excellent. And the characters react and interact so much as themselves. Well done both!
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Buteo

• Ranger
« Reply #947 on: September 26, 2015, 02:49:44 AM »
LooNEY, it's the perfect length. ;)
You and SectoBoss make wonderfully consistent tales; the characters seem just like themselves (hope you know what I mean).
I admire all the fanfic authors here; it happens that you two are a couple of my favorites.

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #948 on: September 26, 2015, 03:45:27 AM »

Waiting

No one slept that first night after it happened; the Incident had left everyone too on-edge for that. Yet none of them spoke, either; a Silence lay upon the company so thickly that it could be felt, even by the oblivious Lalli and the super-optimistic Reynir.

Usually, they would spend the night in speculation of what might be found on the next day’s run, or discussing what they’d already found, or (increasingly as they probed deeper into the Old City) the obstacles in their path. This night, however, all of them kept silent through the long, long hours of darkness.

Perhaps part of it was that, for the first time in a long time, the garrulous Reynir was absent from the vehicle. At Sigrun’s insistence, a quarantine had been established on him, rather than Tuuri, so that she could continue her duties more or less unhindered, and so the redhead and Mikkel, and that silly kitten, had set up a small tent abutting the vehicle on its doorless side. Again, their absence might have been part of why the vehicle was silent all through that night.

That, however, wouldn’t explain why the tent was quiet, as well, Reynir and Mikkel each pretending to sleep so the other wouldn’t worry.

No one slept the night before Judgement Day; but, again, none of the company conversed with each other.

Tuuri had shut herself into the vehicle’s cabin before dinner, and wound up spending all night in there, by herself; the others minded her obvious desire for privacy, and stayed away until morning.

Lalli was out scouting, as it was all he could do; he ran and ran and ran through the night as though compelled, unable to slow himself though his legs nearly gave beneath him, unable to stop or even to pace himself; unable to escape the knowledge of what tomorrow might bring.

Emil was trying not to think about Tuuri, and failing. Even thoughts of fire-burn-BURN couldn’t hold his mind away from the harsh reality that tomorrow might well see her end. He wondered if Mikkel would do it, or Sigrun, or even Lalli, as her kinsman. Then, the thought that he’d fought against all night popped back to the surface: would he have to? Could he, even, if he had to? He’d set the dog free, but that had been so different as to be incomparable. It had been just another beast-dog; Tuuri was his friend and comrade.

Sigrun and Mikkel spent all night outside, staring at the fire neither had put out after dinner. Neither spoke, nor exchanged looks; they merely sat, side by side, each with an arm around the other. Each ignored the tears streaming down their faces, or the occasional sob that worked its way out. They simply sat there, through the whole night.

Reynir was in the dream-world; but he was not asleep. Instead, he was frantically searching for the Two Who Ruled, the source of his embryonic and fledgling powers, Odin and Freya. He had to find them. He had to let them know how important, how intelligent, how kind Tuuri was, and what a blow her loss would be, not just to the team, but to the world. He had to let them know... that they should take him instead. But he couldn’t find them, no matter how he searched and searched as the night wore on.

Mikkel waited until almost mid-day to make his final examination, but not because he needed to give the Rash any more time to reveal itself. For the first time in a long, long time, Mikkel Madsen was having trouble gathering his professional detachment.

The examination was hideously thorough, Mikkel going over every inch of Tuuri so horribly slowly that it began to seem that the two of them had been like this forever, doctor and patient, and that they would remain like this forever. The itch on the back of her neck tortured her even as he moved to that part--and paused.

Tuuri didn’t breathe for what seemed an eternity, spots beginning to flicker in her sight before Mikkel said something in his soft, deep voice that she couldn’t understand. He repeated himself, and for a moment, she thought she was simply hearing what she wanted him to say instead of what he actually said, but eventually it sank in.

The other four were standing outside the exam area, motionless with the tension, as Mikkel emerged. His thumbs-up--for some reason, it seemed he couldn’t make himself speak--broke the spell.

Sigrun sniffed, as if to say “I told you so”, and turned away, trying to busy herself by field-stripping and cleaning her weapon for the twenty-seventh time that day.

Emil jumped to his feet and grabbed first Lalli, and then Mikkel, and then Sigrun in surprisingly strong hugs.

Lalli suffered Emil’s hug and then slipped into the vehicle to finally get some sleep.

When Tuuri finally emerged, Emil grabbed her in yet another hug, unashamedly weeping this time, and then Sigrun joined in, and Mikkel, and a Reynir only partly recovered from his faint, and then even Lalli emerged and joined the sodden mass, as Emil’s tears had sparked Tuuri’s and Reynir’s, and even the dour medic and their crazy captain had allowed themselves a few sniffles.

The first thing Sigrun told Tuuri after they’d all extricated themselves and pretended to go about their business was, “Put your mask on, Tuuri.”

:) Thank for the other vision.
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

microFerret

• Preferred pronouns: is, hic, ille, ipse, idem
« Reply #949 on: September 26, 2015, 12:13:03 PM »
You might be able to tell from this story that I’ve not been in a cheery mood recently :D
Tuuri may or may not have caught the Illness, and on what could be her last night on earth, one other character from the comic stays with her – although I all but guarantee it’s not the person any of you might expect.

http://archiveofourown.org/works/4863479

Wow. Amazing. All of your fics are incredible, and I think this is my all time favorite. I only wish I could write like this.

Waiting

And such an amazing follow-up. You two work so well together, I need more collaborations like this. Mea verba non describere possunt quanta haec sunt.

SectoBoss

• Ranger
« Reply #950 on: September 26, 2015, 01:33:25 PM »

Waiting
LooNEY, that was everything I had hoped it would be and more. You really captured the crew's different reactions superbly - Reynir going off on a hunt for Odin himself to plead Tuuri's case is something that I'd never have thought of but seems so much like something he'd do! Great job!

Wow. Amazing. All of your fics are incredible, and I think this is my all time favorite. I only wish I could write like this.
Thank you! (And hey, maybe you can - give it a go, why not?)
Native: :uk:  Remembers dregs: :france: :vaticancity:  Learning (slowly): :sweden:
Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
Proud owner of a Haizvatar
I write a bit on AO3

LooNEY_DAC

• DeviantArt
« Reply #951 on: September 26, 2015, 02:24:48 PM »
#@$^#%^%@$ local wi-fi eating posts…

Gratitude Post, Take 3 (Grrrrrr)

LooNEY, that was everything I had hoped it would be and more. You really captured the crew's different reactions superbly - Reynir going off on a hunt for Odin himself to plead Tuuri's case is something that I'd never have thought of but seems so much like something he'd do! Great job!

* LooNEY_DAC faints with relief

…Oh, it seems I forgot to post this earlier, so I'm posting it now.

The Complete Links to
The Oldest Law

So, this isn’t really a crossover so much as an “in-the-style-of” work.

I stole a whole bunch from quite a few places, but some deserve note:

Eric’s ‘they deserved to die’ speech is adapted from a similar speech from Charade, which has been described as “the best Hitchcock film Hitchcock didn’t make”.

Onni vs the Swan actually came from “The Fisherman’s Song”, in a very roundabout way. The first idea was for a Greek dude to storm Olympus in response to his wife being lost at sea, with Nemesis silently empowering him to take down Zeus and Poseidon. Then this story came about, and I thought it would work as Onni vs the Swan.

I was trying for a ‘Phantom of the Opera’ vibe with Eric, but couldn’t really develop it.

microFerret

« Reply #952 on: September 26, 2015, 07:27:38 PM »
Thank you! (And hey, maybe you can - give it a go, why not?)
Thanks! I already started a fic, centered on the journey of a young Dane who discovers he is a healthy carrier of the Rash and is forced to flee for the Silent World. If you want to check it out, here are the first four chapters. Hope you enjoy it!

Chapter 1
https://ssssforum.com/index.php?topic=193.msg64481#msg64481

Chapter 2
https://ssssforum.com/index.php?topic=193.msg65012#msg65012

Chapter 3
https://ssssforum.com/index.php?topic=193.msg65552#msg65552

Spoiler:  Carriers, Chapter 4 • show

Wil dreamt of the sea-beast from earlier that night and its enormous, broken eye. The beast steadily advanced, gaining ground even while the boat lurched away at top speed. He shot it, stabbed it, threw canned food at it, but nothing seemed to deter the hulking monster. Eventually, it leapt out of the water, mouth open, poised for the kill... and Wil's eyes shot open, and the scene was replaced by the floor of the boat and the cramped niche under the controls where Wil had curled up to sleep for the night. He calmed himself, then crawled to the bow of the boat. Seeing no immediate danger, he grabbed his supplies and climbed out of the boat.
He decided to head inland to try to find someplace to resupply. As he trekked past block after block of boarded up derelict houses, he wondered how many thousands of people had once lived in just this one little area. None of the buildings were more than two or three stories, but there were so many of them. Possibly more houses than were in all of Bornholm. All of them had once been full of people. And all of them were now full of trolls.
This excited Wil with a sort of morbid curiosity. He had seen drawings of trolls before, of course, but he had never seen one with his own eyes. The first glimpse he got was a singular eye sizing him up from a darkened window. As soon as he looked back at it, the troll ducked out of sight. Wil knew better than to follow it into the derelict house. Instead, he kept walking and paid the vaette little notice besides a quick backwards glance.
Up ahead, the buildings increased in size. These were the buildings he was looking for! And all were so helpfully labelled. Hardware. Food. Clothes. He sized up the food market. Canned food lasts forever, right? He hoped so, or he wouldn't be alive for much longer. It looked fairly intact. None of the walls were destroyed, and the windows were boarded up so trolls couldn't have gotten in. He pried the boards off one of the doors with his knife. All clear.
He climbed in through the gap and looked around. The place was decrepit, and most of the shelves were empty or covered in vaguely food-shaped mold. However, he kept looking. He walked past ten, fifteen aisles before he found anything vaguely edible. The labels were long-since worn away, and the metal had turned dark underneath, but there they were. Thousands of unopened cans. He laughed, though he could barely even hear himself. He chose one, and pried the lid away to reveal his mystery meal... a look of disappointment crossed his face. Pea soup? Really? He weighed it against the alternative, and decided that pea soup was worth eating if he was starving. Barely. Nevertheless, he grabbed as many cans as he could carry and deposited them in his bag.
He was about to leave, but a sound caught his attention. A troll? He was told that trolls could talk just like humans, but there was no thought behind their voices. They were just words, repeated forever by a scared, diseased brain. He moved closer. Sobbing? He followed the noise towards a door by the rear of the room.
Did he dare? There would probably be a troll behind the door, and he was not sure he was prepared to face it. But he would be back here for supplies, and killing the troll now would at least mean less danger in the future. At least it seemed he had the element of surprise on his side. He carefully dismantled the rusted metal knob piece by piece until he could see through the hole. The room was small, and the troll filled most of his view. It had its back towards the door, and was crouching over something on the floor, making noises like a crying human. Its form was squat, but massive. An enormous, flattened head crested an equally enormous mottled pink torso wearing the remnants of a uniform. The back legs were short and bent, and seemed to be connected to the floor by tendrils of flesh in some places. He stood back from the hole, and shrugged his bag and rifle from his shoulders. He clipped a magazine into the rifle, and then rested the barrel in the hole he had made. It scraped against the bottom of the hole, and the sobbing stopped. The troll had heard him. For a moment, everything was silent. Then, the room rang with the sound of the shots. His fear caused him to instinctively fire again and again until each pull of the trigger was greeted only by a click. He drew his knife and waited. Silence. He opened the door, and his revulsion showed on his face. He felt awful. The troll's oversized head was pierced by four shots, and the viscera had sprayed the far wall. But that was not the worst part. The troll had been sobbing over two skeletons, one large, one small, neatly tucked into decaying beds. Tiny cairns stood at the foot of each bed. A family, he supposed. They must have boarded up the store and tried to wait out the rash.
The troll's sobbing was replaced by Wil's. He had never believed in the Old Gods that the Icelandic mages swore to, but nevertheless he hoped the dead troll was reunited with its family in some afterlife. If not, at least he had put it out of its misery. He wished he could promise never to kill another troll, but he knew that wasn't practical. The universe had made them enemies, but he would still do what he could to pay his respects. He gathered a few cans of food and built a third cairn beside the troll. He collected himself and left the building to find a place to camp.
"I hope you're happier now," he said, looking back.
"I am," the whisper responded.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2015, 02:56:50 PM by microFerret »

misea

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • perpetually sleepy night owl
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her, they/their
« Reply #953 on: September 27, 2015, 08:41:53 PM »
Thanks! I already started a fic, centered on the journey of a young Dane who discovers he is a healthy carrier of the Rash and is forced to flee for the Silent World. If you want to check it out, here are the first four chapters. Hope you enjoy it!

Chapter 1
https://ssssforum.com/index.php?topic=193.msg64481#msg64481

Chapter 2
https://ssssforum.com/index.php?topic=193.msg65012#msg65012

Chapter 3
https://ssssforum.com/index.php?topic=193.msg65552#msg65552

Spoiler:  Carriers, Chapter 4 • show

Wil dreamt of the sea-beast from earlier that night and its enormous, broken eye. The beast steadily advanced, gaining ground even while the boat lurched away at top speed. He shot it, stabbed it, threw canned food at it, but nothing seemed to deter the hulking monster. Eventually, it leapt out of the water, mouth open, poised for the kill... and Wil's eyes shot open, and the scene was replaced by the floor of the boat and the cramped niche under the controls where Wil had curled up to sleep for the night. He calmed himself, then crawled to the bow of the boat. Seeing no immediate danger, he grabbed his supplies and climbed out of the boat.
He decided to head inland to try to find someplace to resupply. As he trekked past block after block of boarded up derelict houses, he wondered how many thousands of people had once lived in just this one little area. None of the buildings were more than two or three stories, but there were so many of them. Possibly more houses than were in all of Bornholm. All of them had once been full of people. And all of them were now full of trolls.
This excited Wil with a sort of morbid curiosity. He had seen drawings of trolls before, of course, but he had never seen one with his own eyes. The first glimpse he got was a singular eye sizing him up from a darkened window. As soon as he looked back at it, the troll ducked out of sight. Wil knew better than to follow it into the derelict house. Instead, he kept walking and paid the vaette little notice besides a quick backwards glance.
Up ahead, the buildings increased in size. These were the buildings he was looking for! And all were so helpfully labelled. Hardware. Food. Clothes. He sized up the food market. Canned food lasts forever, right? He hoped so, or he wouldn't be alive for much longer. It looked fairly intact. None of the walls were destroyed, and the windows were boarded up so trolls couldn't have gotten in. He pried the boards off one of the doors with his knife. All clear.
He climbed in through the gap and looked around. The place was decrepit, and most of the shelves were empty or covered in vaguely food-shaped mold. However, he kept looking. He walked past ten, fifteen aisles before he found anything vaguely edible. The labels were long-since worn away, and the metal had turned dark underneath, but there they were. Thousands of unopened cans. He laughed, though he could barely even hear himself. He chose one, and pried the lid away to reveal his mystery meal... a look of disappointment crossed his face. Pea soup? Really? He weighed it against the alternative, and decided that pea soup was worth eating if he was starving. Barely. Nevertheless, he grabbed as many cans as he could carry and deposited them in his bag.
He was about to leave, but a sound caught his attention. A troll? He was told that trolls could talk just like humans, but there was no thought behind their voices. They were just words, repeated forever by a scared, diseased brain. He moved closer. Sobbing? He followed the noise towards a door by the rear of the room.
Did he dare? There would probably be a troll behind the door, and he was not sure he was prepared to face it. But he would be back here for supplies, and killing the troll now would at least mean less danger in the future. At least it seemed he had the element of surprise on his side. He carefully dismantled the rusted metal knob piece by piece until he could see through the hole. The room was small, and the troll filled most of his view. It had its back towards the door, and was crouching over something on the floor, making noises like a crying human. Its form was squat, but massive. An enormous, flattened head crested an equally enormous mottled pink torso wearing the remnants of a uniform. The back legs were short and bent, and seemed to be connected to the floor by tendrils of flesh in some places. He stood back from the hole, and shrugged his bag and rifle from his shoulders. He clipped a magazine into the rifle, and then rested the barrel in the hole he had made. It scraped against the bottom of the hole, and the sobbing stopped. The troll had heard him. For a moment, everything was silent. Then, the room rang with the sound of the shots. His fear caused him to instinctively fire again and again until each pull of the trigger was greeted only by a click. He drew his knife and waited. Silence. He opened the door, and his revulsion showed on his face. He felt awful. The troll's oversized head was pierced by four shots, and the viscera had sprayed the far wall. But that was not the worst part. The troll had been sobbing over two skeletons, one large, one small, neatly tucked into decaying beds. Tiny cairns stood at the foot of each bed. A family, he supposed. They must have boarded up the store and tried to wait out the rash.
The troll's sobbing was replaced by Wil's. He had never believed in the Old Gods that the Icelandic mages swore to, but nevertheless he hoped the dead troll was reunited with its family in some afterlife. If not, at least he had put it out of its misery. He wished he could promise never to kill another troll, but he knew that wasn't practical. The universe had made them enemies, but he would still do what he could to pay his respects. He gathered a few cans of food and built a third cairn beside the troll. He collected himself and left the building to find a place to camp.
"I hope you're happier now," he said, looking back.
"I am," the whisper responded.

I didn't have time to read this before, but now I have and hOLY MOLY I WISH I READ THIS EARLIER
MY CURIOSITY IS PIQUED
native :usa: | decent :france: | speak :china: | learning :spain: :italy: :sweden: :norway: :ireland: | wishlist: :finland: all

:chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :hat: :betterhat: :chap9:

courtesy of wolfie's magical intrnt skillz

microFerret

« Reply #954 on: September 27, 2015, 11:15:04 PM »
I didn't have time to read this before, but now I have and hOLY MOLY I WISH I READ THIS EARLIER
MY CURIOSITY IS PIQUED
Thanks a ton! I really appreciate it. Hope you continue to enjoy it!

SectoBoss

• Ranger
« Reply #955 on: September 28, 2015, 03:48:30 PM »
Those are some interesting ideas you've got on the boil there, and yikes, the last part of chapter 4 was very sad (but the good kind of sad!)
Native: :uk:  Remembers dregs: :france: :vaticancity:  Learning (slowly): :sweden:
Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
Proud owner of a Haizvatar
I write a bit on AO3

LooNEY_DAC

• DeviantArt
« Reply #956 on: October 01, 2015, 08:43:22 AM »
Just another one-shot.

Turning Back the Bäckahästen

{{New Section}}
Sigrun and Mikkel looked at Lalli’s sleeping form in concern.

“He has some kind of fever that I’ve never seen before. None of my anti-febrile medications have worked on it, and it seems to be getting worse.”

“Have you told Tuuri yet?”

“No; I set her and Reynir to working on the books again. She wouldn’t have believed it was serious; it hasn’t been but a few hours since he got back.”

“Well, what about--” Sigrun gestured at Emil, lying comatose in his own bunk.

“He was here when I tried to treat Lalli, and got so worked up that I had to sedate him.”

Emil slowly became aware that he was being watched. Usually, he would go on full alert, as it meant that a Vätte was stalking him, but in this dream, Emil was surprisingly calm. When he turned to see what was watching him, he saw a young and obviously uninfected fox staring back at him.

“So you’re Emil, huh?” That the fox spoke still didn’t alarm Emil; this was commonplace enough for dreams.

“I am. And who might you be, O Vociferous Fox?”

The fox turned its head away coyly. “Oh, I’m just a friend of Lalli’s, which is why I’m here. He’s in Trouble.”

Less than a blink later, Emil had the fox pinned against the tree, his arm resting on its neck. The questions flew from him thick and fast. “Where is he? What kind of trouble is he in? How do I get him out of it?”

The fox gargled out, “I... could... answer... better... if... you... weren’t... choking... me.”

Emil considered this, not without suspicion. After a few tense heartbeats, he relaxed his arm, but only just.

“OK, so Lalli was tricked by a bog-spirit that you’d call a näck into becoming one of them. The näck told Lalli that if he didn’t, the rest of you would be killed horribly. It was very... persuasive.”

“How do I get Lalli back?” Emil growled when the fox trailed off.

“Well, he won’t be a näck fully until he sings his first song while playing his special kantele, but if someone steals a näck’s kantele, the näck can’t just take it back, so...”

{{New Section Ends}}

The näck slipped through the swamps with fiendish ease, exulting in the power coursing through it: the heartbeat of the fens. A sweet song was stirring in its heart, and, like all songs, it needed to be aired, so the näck sped toward its hidden kantele. The instrument it sought was gone, however, puzzling the näck no end, until it heard a slow chord fill the air.

Another chord strummed through the glade, and this time the näck saw its origin. Resting calmly against the mossy trunk of an old, old tree was Emil, the kantele in his lap, his fingers idly drawing along the strings in an unusually pleasant manner.

Of course it was Emil. Tuuri cared; Sigrun dared; Mikkel did beware; Reynir had good hair; but the fool Swede was the only one of the team that had already flung himself into danger for Lalli’s sake, and always would.

“How did you find me?” The speech was jarringly guttural against the music in its soul. When Emil just kept sitting there, unconcerned, anger suddenly filled the half-familiar voice. Had all the suffering and sacrifice been for nothing, after all? “You fool Swede! Are you truly too stupid or stubborn to realize that I left to protect you all?”

All the sound and fury näck-Lalli could dredge up left Emil unmoved. “Yes,” he said calmly. “Yes, I am too stupid or too stubborn, or both, to abandon my friend when he needs me the most. Yes, I am too stupid or too stubborn, or both, to let my friend push me away in that same hour. Yes, I am too stupid or too stubborn, or both, to let my friend thus be eaten while I still draw breath. And no, I’m not leaving.”

“I’ll lure you into the bog!” Lalli-näck threatened. It/he knew the threat was an empty one, and it/he suspected Emil knew it, too.

“I can swim.” Emil’s voice was still as calm as though he were ordering lunch.

“I’ll scream at it first!” This time, even a stranger could have heard the reluctance in his/its voice.

“I have some iron to toss in it, then.” Emil watched the play of emotions across Lalli’s face and plowed forward. “How I found you doesn’t matter. I’m here, and I’m not leaving without you--the real you, Lalli Hotakainen, the human.”

The sound of his name hurt, like ripping the scab from an unhealed wound. The power ebbed from him as the swamp reclaimed its own, pulling its essence out from the warp of his body and soul, leaving him a mere human again, panting heavily as he leaned against the nearest tree.

Emil leapt to his feet. “Don’t you dare let yourself die on me, Lalli! Don’t you dare!” For the first time, real animation colored his voice.

Lalli opened his eyes. The familiar walls of the Felinopede surrounded his comfy little nest. There was no hint of a swamp in sight or sound or even smell..

Emil was looking at him worriedly from his bunk, Tuuri standing beside him as he babbled his Swedish nonsense. Finally, his cousin turned to him and asked, “Lalli, have you been dream-walking again? Emil keeps going on and on about how he just had a nightmare where he had to save you from becoming what he calls a näck--you know, a näkki.” Oh, boy. “Tell me what’s been going on!”

Lalli sighed. “It’s a long and foolish story, Tuuri...”

So, this is a possible ending to Seilann’s little prompt from viewing the Lalli-näkki pictures, since I was (frankly) more excited about that part than the rest of it. Anyone else who wants to put their take out there (SectoBoss...) obviously still can.
EDIT: added a teeny bit more context.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 11:21:35 AM by LooNEY_DAC »

Seilann

• Tumblr
« Reply #957 on: October 01, 2015, 12:34:20 PM »
LooNEY, I love it! It has a very mythical feel and great tension.

I also started one but it's taking a very different turn... And looking to be pretty long.

Would love to see SectoBoss's take, as well!
native :usa:
conversational :japan:
stagnant :southkorea: :spain: :italy:
beginner :sweden: :ireland: :greece:

:chap8:  :chap9:  :chap10:

misea

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • perpetually sleepy night owl
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her, they/their
« Reply #958 on: October 01, 2015, 01:18:46 PM »
Just another one-shot.

Turning Back the Bäckahästen

The näck slipped through the swamps with fiendish ease, exulting in the power coursing through it: the heartbeat of the fens. A sweet song was stirring in its heart, and, like all songs, it needed to be aired, so the näck sped toward its hidden kantele. The instrument it sought was gone, however, puzzling the näck no end, until it heard a slow chord fill the air.

Another chord strummed through the glade, and this time the näck saw its origin. Resting calmly against the mossy trunk of an old, old tree was Emil, the kantele in his lap, his fingers idly drawing along the strings in an unusually pleasant manner.

Of course it was Emil. Tuuri cared; Sigrun dared; Mikkel did beware; Reynir had good hair; but the fool Swede was the only one of the team that had already flung himself into danger for Lalli’s sake, and always would.

“How did you find me?” The speech was jarringly guttural against the music in its soul. When Emil just kept sitting there, unconcerned, anger suddenly filled the half-familiar voice. Had all the suffering and sacrifice been for nothing, after all? “You fool Swede! Are you truly too stupid or stubborn to realize that I left to protect you all?”

All the sound and fury näck-Lalli could dredge up left Emil unmoved. “Yes,” he said calmly. “Yes, I am too stupid or too stubborn, or both, to abandon my friend when he needs me the most. Yes, I am too stupid or too stubborn, or both, to let my friend push me away in that same hour. Yes, I am too stupid or too stubborn, or both, to let my friend thus be eaten while I still draw breath. And no, I’m not leaving.”

“I’ll lure you into the bog!” Lalli-näck threatened. It/he knew the threat was an empty one, and it/he suspected Emil knew it, too.

“I can swim.” Emil’s voice was still as calm as though he were ordering lunch.

“I’ll scream at it first!” This time, even a stranger could have heard the reluctance in his/its voice.

“I have some iron to toss in it, then.” Emil watched the play of emotions across Lalli’s face and plowed forward. “How I found you doesn’t matter. I’m here, and I’m not leaving without you--the real you, Lalli Hotakainen, the human.”

The sound of his name hurt, like ripping the scab from an unhealed wound. The power ebbed from him as the swamp reclaimed its own, pulling its essence out from the warp of his body and soul, leaving him a mere human again, panting heavily as he leaned against the nearest tree.

Emil leapt to his feet. “Don’t you dare let yourself die on me, Lalli! Don’t you dare!” For the first time, real animation colored his voice.

Lalli opened his eyes. The familiar walls of the Felinopede surrounded his comfy little nest. There was no hint of a swamp in sight or sound or even smell..

Emil was looking at him worriedly from his bunk, Tuuri standing beside him as he babbled his Swedish nonsense. Finally, his cousin turned to him and asked, “Lalli, have you been dream-walking again? Emil keeps going on and on about how he just had a nightmare where he had to save you from becoming what he calls a näck--you know, a näkki.” Oh, boy. “Tell me what’s been going on!”

Lalli sighed. “It’s a long and foolish story, Tuuri...”

So, this is a possible ending to Seilann’s little prompt from viewing the Lalli-näkki pictures, since I was (frankly) more excited about that part than the rest of it. Anyone else who wants to put their take out there (SectoBoss...) obviously still can.

SCREECHING thank you for this wonderful fic this week was bleh but this made my day
native :usa: | decent :france: | speak :china: | learning :spain: :italy: :sweden: :norway: :ireland: | wishlist: :finland: all

:chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :hat: :betterhat: :chap9:

courtesy of wolfie's magical intrnt skillz

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #959 on: October 01, 2015, 02:51:01 PM »
Good! I do like the little touch of the iron. Very traditional.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!