Author Topic: The SSSS Scriptorium  (Read 779842 times)

dmeck7755

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
Re: The SSSS Scriptorium
« Reply #4035 on: July 13, 2023, 09:30:59 AM »
I mentioned in the few introductory posts that I have that I'm starting a Silent World story thanks to the effect of being around here. I always like apocalypses that are in the process of happening; the whole 'watching a car crash you can't look away from' and I always dislike writing characters that aren't mine; so have Down Deep - https://archiveofourown.org/works/48536083/chapters/122429281

Who knows where it'll go; so far I'm just stretching my legs in the silent world; casting about for a tone and some characterisation.

First blush looks good :)
"without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."

-Frank Zappa

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #4036 on: July 16, 2023, 02:03:55 PM »
Glass, I already commented on AO3 (I’m Jiiri) but wow! Your story blows me away! It’s so well developed in such a short time that it’s evident you’re a writer. It takes the world and makes it your own, it both fits perfectly into SSSS and stands alone.

I am also fascinated by the moment when the apocalypse takes plqce. On one hand I like SSSS partly because it just takes as a given that there was an apocalypse some time ago, enough so that it’s in the past, but no so long ago that it would be forgotten. Minna’s timing is spot on for her story and I like how the prologue gives just enough of a glimpse into the events of Year 0 that the main story has some basis.

At the same time I very much enjoy it when the fan writers supplement the year 0 events either in the Known World or elsewhere in the world. Some of my short bits also touch on that time, but mostly from the perspective of the prologue characters directly from the comic, all of whom we know escaped because of hiding / happening to be in a safe place, not by fighting their way through it.

I love military science fiction as a genre, Aliens is one of my all time favorite movies. Unfortunately I also like horror but simultaneously am too afraid of much of it, so I struggle with desire to watch and the knowledge that something will be too much for me and I’ll freak out (and then not sleep and making everyone miserable). Anyways, good writing such as yours is great because my mind can fill in enough details to the horror sights, but not so much I can’t stomach it.  Like…. (Spoiler for chapter 5 of Down Deep)

Spoiler: show
when the soldier throws up inside his mask - it tells me This is Bad without forcing too much horror on me.
Very well done!
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

Glass

• Preferred pronouns: He/him
« Reply #4037 on: July 16, 2023, 03:12:38 PM »
Thank you very much for the praise, Jitter - it's been a pleasure reading both you and Roisin's (who I believe is Tanist over on AO3) comments as I build things up. I don't think I could ever write a tale honestly and with the same kind of passion without carving out a little corner for myself, and thankfully the silent world is more quiet corners than it is filled in spaces.

I'm not sure yet if I'm writing an eventual tragedy - all apocalypses are, but with this particular post-apocalypse we'll need to find out. I do know that I'm very fond of my two POV characters already and that's always dangerous for the poor things. I can't see modern humans, at least those brave and determined enough to take the measures to survive, giving up without at least something of a fight. Even if it is a delusional notion for a few of them.

Hell yeah on loving Aliens though. It's my favourite sci-fi horror, and Ellen Ripley was an inspiration (And maybe a crush) for when I was first starting to understand character writing and creation. Absolutely badass character. As for the horror elements of Down Deep, describing just enough to get the scene across and leaving enough blank space for the reader to fill it in with what would horrify them most is a favoured technique. Nothing's quite as good at scaring a person as themselves.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2023, 04:32:41 PM by Glass »
I'm TheGlass on A03
glass01 on Discord
And Glass#0263 on Revolt

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #4038 on: July 16, 2023, 09:54:21 PM »
Glass, that is certainly true. Horror that is not clearly delineated has more potential to, well, horrify.
For me, writing any kind of horror is a relatively new thing, as is writing online. I had written a lot before I became involved in this fandom, but the bulk of what I had had published or broadcast was poetry, factual technical articles, a few songs, and the occasional ‘hard’ science fiction story (that is, SF with a base in real science). The two books I have been working on slowly for several years are not fiction at all, but a basic cookery book and another about wild food foraging and how to cook what you find. Progress on those books is slow because real life is busy, chaotic and stressful. I’m an old age pensioner who is still working enough to bring the pension up to a wage on which I can keep paying the mortgage, while caring for my disabled husband, all of which means that it is difficult to scrape together enough time to write.

I enjoy both your storytelling and your background building of the world and your characters. To quote my beloved, who is a keen reader, “You know a character is well written when the reader would notice and care if they disappeared between one page and the next.”. I hope your characters continue to develop and grow!
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

dmeck7755

« Reply #4039 on: July 17, 2023, 08:53:11 AM »
Glass,
I see you have added.  I only had time to read the second chapter.  This is really a good read.  Can't wait until I have a bit more time to get to the rest.  Thank you for the story :)

-Frank Zappa

Glass

• Preferred pronouns: He/him
« Reply #4040 on: July 17, 2023, 11:03:50 AM »
Glass, that is certainly true. Horror that is not clearly delineated has more potential to, well, horrify.
For me, writing any kind of horror is a relatively new thing, as is writing online. I had written a lot before I became involved in this fandom, but the bulk of what I had had published or broadcast was poetry, factual technical articles, a few songs, and the occasional ‘hard’ science fiction story (that is, SF with a base in real science). The two books I have been working on slowly for several years are not fiction at all, but a basic cookery book and another about wild food foraging and how to cook what you find. Progress on those books is slow because real life is busy, chaotic and stressful. I’m an old age pensioner who is still working enough to bring the pension up to a wage on which I can keep paying the mortgage, while caring for my disabled husband, all of which means that it is difficult to scrape together enough time to write.

I've been writing since I was quite young, but it only really ramped up for me with the pandemic - which is also when I managed to snag my first (and currently, only) publication credit in a short stories magazine. Sharing my work with others is a pleasure, though, especially seeing people enjoy it or find something new in it. Though honestly I've always enjoyed writing fantastical things, it's just shifted more towards either horror or hope in the face of horror as I've gotten older.

The stresses of life and all its chaos getting in the way of writing is something I feel though - even if time presents itself sometimes the energy just isn't there. I'm a full time carer myself, for my grandfather, and though I thankfully don't have to worry about a mortgage or anything like that I can empathise at least a little with that weight.

I enjoy both your storytelling and your background building of the world and your characters. To quote my beloved, who is a keen reader, “You know a character is well written when the reader would notice and care if they disappeared between one page and the next.”. I hope your characters continue to develop and grow!

I am, though, glad and flattered at you enjoying the work. I'm hoping they continue to grow as well, and that if they go missing inbetween the paragraphs it draws attention.

Glass,
I see you have added.  I only had time to read the second chapter.  This is really a good read.  Can't wait until I have a bit more time to get to the rest.  Thank you for the story :)

Dmeck, I'm glad you're enjoying it - though I'm sure I'll have more out soon, take your time with it. You're very welcome for the story, thank you for the time you take to read it.
I'm TheGlass on A03
glass01 on Discord
And Glass#0263 on Revolt

LooNEY_DAC

• DeviantArt
« Reply #4041 on: October 08, 2023, 01:54:30 AM »
Sigrun’s Shenanigans
A “Stand Still. Stay Silent” fanfic
Part 5
Complete Links to Complete Links post
Prior part
Spoiler: The Garden of Gøran Andersen • show
That first generation in Year Zero all reacted differently to seeing the world they’d known wiped away in front of their eyes; Gøran Andersen, Uncle Trond’s dad, decided to plant a garden.

He worked on it his whole life; by the time he died, it was like one of those lehtos you told us about, Fuzzy-Head. They buried him there instead of cremating him or a ship-burial, and Uncle Trond made sure there’ll be people tending the garden for as long as Dalsnes stands.

Of course, not all of ‘em are volunteers: some are paid to be there, but some have to take a turn at trimming and weeding as a punishment, like I did.

When I was a kid, I was so impatient. I know, it’s hard to believe now, but back then I couldn’t stand waiting for more than a second or two for something to happen, and it caused a lot of problems when we were laying traps for grosslings during Hunting season. Uncle Trond was in charge of a lot of those, and eventually he decided that I needed to learn patience.

To be fair to Uncle Trond, he tried all sorts of ways before sending me out to his father’s garden, but none of them really took; I can be really stubborn when the mood hits me. Anyway, that’s when I learned to knit those little grossling snares you were so impressed by, and to draw maps from memory of terrain I’ve been over, but what really got me was when I had to tend the garden.

They showed me what to look for; it was a long list, and I kinda spaced out during the middle bit, but I was pretty sure I got everything important. I mean, all I had to do was trim the withered stuff and pull the weeds, right?

I just had to do it over and over, every day, until it all blurred together in an endless line of picking and trimming and trimming and picking… Aaaagh. I’m getting a headache just remembering it.

Anyway, one day I’m doing this and it’s all going blurry again, and I look up and Uncle Trond’s there, scowling like usual. I asked him what was wrong… and he told me. I mean, I was expecting him to tell me every little problem he had with what I was doing, but I wasn’t expecting him to tell me about how the garden was a microcosm (yes, Mikkel, I made him spell it for me) of Dalsnes itself.

Uncle Trond spent the next, I don’t know, hour or so telling me about the importance of maintaining and protecting what our forebears made and built for us. It was like all the worst lectures I’d ever heard rolled into one big pompous word-vomit, but I sat there and listened to the end.

That’s when he told me I could go back to my unit.

At first I thought I’d just heard what I’d been wanting to hear him say, instead of what he really said, but he sighed and told me that his little speech had been a test to see if the garden had finally managed to instill some patience into my rambunctious and fractious self. Since I hadn’t interrupted him with a hundred different questions or snarky comments, he was pretty sure I could be trusted to be patient when I had to be.

Uncle Trond did tell me that if I disappointed him, he’d bring me back to the garden… as fertilizer. I’m certain he wasn’t kidding, since I’d seen the mulcher working on some particularly gruesome stuff, but I never would’ve disappointed him anyway.

And speaking of disappointments, that reminds me of the time…

Spoiler: Authorial Notes • show
I brought this in just under the wire: it’s still over an hour before Sigrun’s birthday ends here.

Other stuff may be coming down the pike soon, if all goes well. You have been warned.

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #4042 on: October 08, 2023, 05:45:29 AM »
Yes, Sigru, it’s very hard to understand now that you have ever been impatient!

Well done, Looney!
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #4043 on: October 08, 2023, 07:02:55 AM »
Good story! And I can tell you as someone who has hunted (no, not grosslings, we don’t have those even in Outback Australia, just feral pigs, goats and deer) that patience is very, very needful for hunting. I have not found gardening boring, but then that’s me - I actually enjoy all the opportunities to watch birds, reptiles and insects going about their lives, listen to all the sounds of a living garden, delight in all the plant scents and plan out what I am going to plant next season and how to cook what I am already growing. But I can understand how all that would annoy a young and impatient Sigrun!

And of course a happy birthday to Sigrun!
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #4044 on: October 13, 2023, 01:08:23 AM »
Hey, nice one! 
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

dmeck7755

« Reply #4045 on: October 13, 2023, 09:13:18 AM »
Well done, Looney!  Very entertaining

-Frank Zappa