Author Topic: The SSSS Scriptorium  (Read 786544 times)

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
Re: The SSSS Scriptorium
« Reply #4020 on: January 27, 2023, 06:09:31 AM »
I’m not very techno and have never figured out how discord works. Most of my stuff is on the Forum and/or Archive.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

thegreyarea

• Skald
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Proud Guardian of Cabo Ruivo Seaport (Lisbon)
« Reply #4021 on: January 31, 2023, 09:46:18 AM »
today the notice of Crumpite's departure reached us. I recalled this story where he has a relevant role, and realized that it hasn't been published at AO3. I think it's time to correct that, so... Rum

In memorian of our dear friend, and duckmaster, Crumpite.
Chapter break survivor: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:
Languages: :pt: :br: Capable: :gb: Can read and survive: :es: Knows a bit: :fr: :it:

proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

thegreyarea

• Skald
« Reply #4022 on: February 09, 2023, 07:21:06 AM »
Hi, I did something for the prompt of the week... :)

It's on AO3: A Chance

With some special thanks to tehta and lwise for the inspiration!
Chapter break survivor: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:
Languages: :pt: :br: Capable: :gb: Can read and survive: :es: Knows a bit: :fr: :it:

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #4023 on: February 09, 2023, 08:38:01 AM »
I like this. It might indeed have taken folk awhile to figure out immunity.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

thegreyarea

• Skald
« Reply #4024 on: February 09, 2023, 11:16:49 AM »
I like this. It might indeed have taken folk awhile to figure out immunity.
Thank you!  ^-^  And you're right, it could take some time to realize some people were immune, particularly considering the disruption of comunications caused by radio interference*.

(*: always wondered if that also affected cable connections. If so the loss of data over the Internet, alone, would be enough to create an awful mess all over the world)

lwise

• Scout
« Reply #4025 on: February 09, 2023, 01:48:43 PM »
Thank you!  ^-^  And you're right, it could take some time to realize some people were immune, particularly considering the disruption of comunications caused by radio interference*.

(*: always wondered if that also affected cable connections. If so the loss of data over the Internet, alone, would be enough to create an awful mess all over the world)

I expect the Internet went down piece by piece as the power failed because no one was left to maintain the power supply.

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #4026 on: February 10, 2023, 08:01:47 PM »
I'm with lwise on that one - power to the servers would only have gone on for so long.  The readers were given some clues about the incubation period of approx 2 weeks, way back in the beginning when there was still media coverage in Europe about the Patients Zero, although I imagine it would not have been universally accepted for some time.
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #4027 on: February 11, 2023, 05:43:39 AM »
I'm with lwise on that one - power to the servers would only have gone on for so long.
The Internet of today is a weird mixture of the original ARPAnet's "go on and nuke us, we'll just route around the craters" and SPOF-laden structures. Some users might experience all of it just going "poof" as their own hardware or infrastructure of their direct Internet providers loses power (say, all those unassuming DSLAMs or CMTSes sitting in their little roadside cabinets all over your residential area), others might get to watch humanity drop off it somewhat nation-by-nation style as the TLD's authoritative nameservers give out and render the still-working stuff impossible to find for the would-be user. I'm not convinced that the way some carriers (looking at you, Deutsche Telekom!) handle peering with others still holds much real world promise of being able to "route around" failing links, either ...
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

thegreyarea

• Skald
« Reply #4028 on: March 05, 2023, 02:40:48 PM »
Well, I managed to complete the second part of the tale of Ensi's first adventure on the silent world.

It took some time, but I really enjoyed this long walk. I hope you like reading it. Any feedback is much appreciated!

(I also posted it in the "prompt of the week" thread, under "Tenacity". Ensi's story has lots of it, and my readers, that waited for so long for the second part, surely have too. :) )

Here it is, on AO3: Winter, Part 2

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #4029 on: March 05, 2023, 06:12:30 PM »
Great job Grey! Like I already commented on AO3, I got strong Doctor Who (when it’s horror) vibes.

Spoilers for the story:
Spoiler: show
I figured out Erik, but the coffin was a nice touch. Or, well, maybe ”nice” isn’t the word but… well done!

And, I love the way you described the ”rip” in the world. Impressive, and scary! Does it show a starless part of the dreamworld, or something else?

Winter effects commentary / nitpicking
Winter storms don’t have lightning or thunder. Or at least it’s very very rare, and only happens when temperature is around zero (freezing point), not when it’s very cold.

If someone falls through the ice, you don’t run to help them. You’ll fall in yourself. You have to use a rope, a branch, or for example your jacket or preferably a couple of jackets tied together. Approach flat on your stomach, throw the helpline and back slowly. As it was very cold, they would have had to return to the shop which was closest, to avoid having Karl freeze to death.

If the narrow water froze later than the rest, there would be a current, which makes the ice unsafe. It would be safer to take a longer route even though it means more steps on the ice. As they did after they got the help, but they would have known this already.

I hope you don’t mind my comments! It’s not something you would know, but ai was thinking maybe you’d want to!

🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

thegreyarea

• Skald
« Reply #4030 on: March 05, 2023, 08:16:43 PM »
Great job Grey! Like I already commented on AO3, I got strong Doctor Who (when it’s horror) vibes.
Thank you!!!  ^-^ I'm very happy that you liked it! Can't say that I have a great knowledge of Doctor Who. I only watched randomly some episodes. Anyway I liked what I saw... Perhaps I should dedicate some time to it. So if you have any preferred episode(s) please let me know. :) But be warned, we may end up with Ensi being chased by a dalek, or finding a curious blue cabin inside the bunker!

About the spoilers for the story:
Well done figuring out Erik. I tried to walk a thin line, giving clues but also trying to portray him as a regular character like the others. Can you tell which moment made his condition clear? Asking for a friend... :)
(And of course I'm curious to find how many of my readers figured it, so anyone reading this did so, please let me know)

And I'm glad that you liked the "rip". I must admit that it took some time to figure the best way to describe that nightmarish thing  (which means I probably rewrote that part four or five times) but I'm quite happy with it, and even more to know it had the desired effect, that was the feeling that the reader, through Ensi's "eyes", is looking at something that breaks reality.

(I believe the inspiration came from some old episode of "Twilight Zone", but I can't recall which)

And thanks for the info about the winter-related situations! Of course I don't mind. As you know I don't live on a place with snowstorms...  ;D And I must admit I didn't went very deep on my research regarding storms, and also about the connection between currents and ice . So yes, those are, indeed, some pieces of information that I want to have!
I do know the part about falling through the ice, though, and I was aware that describing Karl's rescue that way was wrong... But I was tired at that point, and thought "Ok, I'll come back later and correct this", which I obviously forgot. I'll try to correct it tomorrow.
About coming back... I spoke with Karl, and he says he was too afraid they would be trapped by the storm on that small shop, so he decided to move forward anyway. Tough guy! :)

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #4031 on: March 06, 2023, 01:28:27 AM »
Grey, I knew you wouldn’t mind but still it always feels slightly like I’m just being a smartass :)

Here’s a short video about ice rescue:
/>
You can also see how he feels the ice ahead with the pole before stepping on it.

Also they should / would have ice spikes so that Karl might be able to get himself up from the ice. Maybe he did and the others just approached to help him along at some distance from the actual cracked ice? Even if he did have the spikes he still might need help, especially as the ice was new and may well just break more every time he tried to get up. In the video the ice is strong and the hole has clearly been hacked out, but in a real situation it would first just crack a little while still allowing walking (if you are stupid or desperate enough to ignore the warning) but once you fall in, there will be more cracks around. Or, you are walking on solid ice and then suddenly the current is below and it just breaks with no warning. In such a situation rescue/ self rescue is easier because at least you know which direction to try for.
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

thegreyarea

• Skald
« Reply #4032 on: March 09, 2023, 11:27:35 AM »
Jitter, thanks again! I'll try to use that info to correct that part of the story.

Meanwhile, I made another story. And a quite short one, so you won't waste too much time... :)

It's for the Tuuri and Reynir prompt of the week (so it's posted there too). The story is on AO3: Something He Just Does

I hope you like it, my dear friends.

apprenticeNerd

• Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #4033 on: May 30, 2023, 01:59:41 AM »
returns a semester later with iced tea

So it's been, a while! Since I last posted anything here, I've written two more SSSS fics:
Ingenuity - one-shot re: Reynir going to, uh, Denmark. Originally written for a forum prompt
Icebreakers - ongoing long-form story set in (my interpretation of) the City of Hunger 'verse
Fluent: :gb:
Conversant: :fr:
Trying to learn: :fi:

Glass

• Preferred pronouns: He/him
« Reply #4034 on: July 12, 2023, 08:50:48 PM »
I mentioned in the few introductory posts that I have that I'm starting a Silent World story thanks to the effect of being around here. I always like apocalypses that are in the process of happening; the whole 'watching a car crash you can't look away from' and I always dislike writing characters that aren't mine; so have Down Deep - https://archiveofourown.org/works/48536083/chapters/122429281

Who knows where it'll go; so far I'm just stretching my legs in the silent world; casting about for a tone and some characterisation.
I'm TheGlass on A03
glass01 on Discord
And Glass#0263 on Revolt