Author Topic: The SSSS Scriptorium  (Read 784549 times)

Grade E cat

• Ranger
  • Headcanon firing in 3... 2... 1...
  • Preferred pronouns: her
Re: The SSSS Scriptorium
« Reply #3480 on: November 13, 2017, 02:53:02 PM »
A headcanon-induced short fic, it's been a while. The explanation for that one is that the "headcanons about Emil's parents" factory had a very fruitful meeting with my fondness for the "accidental truth" trope.

Little brother
Native: :fr:
So much part of my life it might as well be native: :us:
Few and far between practice opportunities: :es:
A little learned during hardcore anime fan phase: :jp:
Only alternative to English in early junior high school: :de:

Do what cat. Lalli's way of life since age three.

Pupunen

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
« Reply #3481 on: November 13, 2017, 03:39:59 PM »
Hello Scriptorium, it's been a while! I haven't been writing much lately, but I finally got around to finishing a draft that I'd had lying around unfinished since March. It's a brief look back at chapter 14, featuring angsty Sigrun.

A murderer's hands

Also, if anyone wants to read fic in Finnish, I've got one of those too. It's about Saku trying to get Ensi to sleep.

Koko talvi kesämökillä
Native: :finland:
Fluent: :sweden: :uk:
Good: :italy:
Understand but don't speak: :denmark: :norway:
Basics: :russia: :wales: :iceland: :vaticancity:

:chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15:

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #3482 on: November 13, 2017, 04:38:09 PM »
Pupunen: good to see you doing more again.

Grade E Cat: nice. That would account for Sune's hair.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Windfighter

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Theologian of the Minnion Church
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #3483 on: November 14, 2017, 01:39:22 PM »
Ah, crap, I didn’t mean to discourage you! You’re doing great on your own; I need to remember to double-check my phrasing for possible unintentional meanness.

Oh no, there wasn't anything wrong with your phrasing, it was very helpful! I was already on the verge of giving up on them so it wasn't your fault <3

Nevermind that now, another chapter of the angel-saga is done! (and so very short chapters, it feels wrong)

The wings of an angel
Spoiler: Chapter 5 • show

The meeting
   Lalli followed the river upstream. When night fell he made camp, slept under a fir. When he ran out of bread he hunted, placed traps for rabbits on small trails he would never have seen from the air. During the nights he got company from the stars, which lit up the darkness a little. Did his parents watch him from up there, on the Bird's Path? Would they have been disappointed that he lost his soulmate before they even met? His hand reached over his shoulder to touch his wings. They would never carry him again.
   ”Are you also up there?”
   The stars blinked, but didn't answer him. He shouldn't care. He had been alone most of his life, he didn't mind, it was just... There had been someone meant for him, his wings had been big when he was young, he remembered flying together with his family. And like all other kids his age he had looked forward to meeting his soulmate. Until that day when his wings turned black.
   That had been the only time he remembered crying. His wings dying and morphing into the small thing he had now had been painful, but the worst part was knowing he'd never meet that one person that would always understand him. He threw his bag into the canoe again, set off once more. Large mountains covered the horizon, how long had he travelled? For weeks, and he still didn't know what he was searching for, if he was searching for something. But at least he was alone.
   A branch snapped. A bear? Lalli steered towards the riverbank, waited in silence. The sun burned his neck and he crouched, hid behind a bush incase it was a bear or a wolf. Five minutes, then something stumbled through the trees, fell to it's knees. A human. Lalli lifted his head, peeked over the bush. Why wasn't the person flying? The person's body shook, sank to the ground and Lalli took a step closer. There wasn't any wings.

Spoiler: Chapter 6 • show

The touch
   Emil blinked, rolled over to his back. His body felt weak, it hurt to move. He closed his eyes, opened them again. A person was leaning over him, staring at his torn clothes, his messy hair and his scratched arms. He had spent weeks walking, not knowing the first thing about how to deal with the wilderness, and his body was proof of it. He opened his mouth to say something but only got a shaky breath out.
   Water passed over his lips, into his mouth, and he swallowed greedily. It felt rejuvenating and his body relaxed slightly. The person sat down next to him, only looked at him. Emil wanted to explain, excuse his apperance, but his throat was still dry. He closed his eyes again, listened as the other got up, moved around. The sound of fire reached Emil's ears and he opened his eyes in panic as the warmth washed over him. Gray eyes looked at him again.
   ”OK?”
   Emil nodded, relaxed again. He rested for a while, let the warmth ease the ache in his muscles, drank water when he was offered. After an hour he sat up, took in the sights of the other. He also looked worn, like he had been on the move for quite a while..
   ”I'm Emil”, he said, ”I come from the mountains.”
   The man looked at him, looked towards the treetops, past them, towards the mountains and then nodded.
   ”Lalli. From forest.”
   Lalli offered Emil a steaming bowl filled with food and Emil reached forward to accept it. Their fingers touched, a jolt danced through Emil's body, his back ached and then everything exploded in colours and the ground disappeared below them.

...obvious ending is obvious. BUT WAIT! There'll be more!
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 04:47:11 PM by Windfighter »
Fluent: :sweden:
Decent: :uk:
Phrases: :spain: / :japan:
:book1+:

My stories frequently features themes such as death, suicide, mourning, etc; I cannot give precise warnings for each individual stories, as it would spoil the intrigues.

Windfighter

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #3484 on: November 15, 2017, 03:33:47 PM »
Double-posting like a bozz!

The wings of an angel
Spoiler: Chapter 7 • show

Lalli's new wings
   Lalli adored his wings. To begin with they were large, the same size as for those who had found their soulmate, and could carry him great distances. He didn't need to worry about them getting caught in trees any longer, because they could carry him above the treetops. And then there were the colours. Lalli's wings were a perfect balance of blue and gray, the colours copied from his and Emil's eyes. He had finally met his soulmate.
   ”Lalli, hurry up!”
   Lalli let out a sigh and hurried his speed a little. When Tuuri called it was better to get there quickly or the mess she was about to put him in would get worse. She beamed at him when he caught up, their wings brushed against each other and then Lalli moved in above her. His eyes glanced at her wings, at the beautiful mix of green, violet and gray. He'd love to meet them one day.
   ”We're almost where I spotted the wolves!”
   ”Can hardly wait.”
   Lalli stretched his wings, showed them off to Tuuri again. She smiled, laughed, and grabbed his arm, pulled him along. He let her, happy to be able to be a part of something again, happy to no longer need her to look for his soulmate. Because he had already found him.

Spoiler: Chapter 8 • show

Emil's new wings
   Emil had been declared dead. Caught in a fire when he was young he had stopped breathing, his heart had stopped beating and he had spent a few minutes dead. He had lost his wings and his self-esteem and stayed in his parents' house for years.
   His burns had healed, his scars disappeared. His wings had finally grown back as well. Emil loved his wings. He loved being able to soar across the sky, high above the treetops. He loved watching animals running far below him, he loved playing with the others. He loved how beautiful they were, a glittering combination of blue and gray feathers. He loved that they could carry him anywhere he wanted.
   ”I'm heading out, do you want to come along?”
   Emil laughed, pushed himself off the bed and left his room. His mother smiled at him, her beautiful wings resting on her back and Emil smiled back.
   ”Not today, I have things to do.”
   ”Do you want me to invite someone over? I meet one of your childhood friends yesterday.”
   ”Mom, it's okay.”
   ”I just don't want you to feel lonely.”
   ”Really mom”, he pushed her towards the door, still smiling, ”it's okay. I'm going to meet up with someone tomorrow.”
   ”Will I finally get to meet this mysterious person?”
   He smiled, but refused to answer. She kissed his head before throwing herself off the cliff and Emil watched as her wings carried her away. For so long he had wanted to be able to fly like that as well and tomorrow he'd get to fly like that with Lalli.

And that, as they say, is that! Hope you enjoyed this horrible experiment, time to continue with that plotbunny Lazy8 threw at me.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 04:23:35 PM by Windfighter »

My stories frequently features themes such as death, suicide, mourning, etc; I cannot give precise warnings for each individual stories, as it would spoil the intrigues.

Róisín

« Reply #3485 on: November 15, 2017, 04:30:40 PM »
Windy, that was very sweet and hopeful. I liked it.

Lazy8

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: Name only
« Reply #3486 on: November 17, 2017, 08:04:17 AM »
...is it too soon? Oh dear gods, it's too soon, isn't it?

The Zombie

*throws the challenge entry on the table and flees*
:usa: native
:spain: comes back in an emergency
:vaticancity: rusty
:china: can usually manage to order food
:norway: can hold a basic conversation

:chap5: | :book2: | :book3: | :chap17: :chap18:

Windfighter

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #3487 on: November 18, 2017, 05:51:50 PM »
Here to drop off another story that's short and hopefully safe enough for this place! As usual, yell at me if it isn't! (I'm not insecure, I promise...)

Spoiler: The Soup Incident • show

”Hey, Lalli...”
   Emil stopped for a couple of seconds to gather his breath, then started walking again before Lalli got a chance to tell him how pathetic he was.
   ”Do you remember the soup incident?”
   Lalli's voice in his head was remarkable quiet. Emil shifted his grip around the straps to the rug.
   ”I know it's probably not the best time right now...”
   The snow was starting to come down heavily. Emil never liked the beginning of spring for this very reason, one second it was sun and warm and the next it was snowing. At least it wasn't hailing. He stopped again.
   ”Were you angry at me?”
   No answer. Was Lalli angry at him again? He sat down on the ground.
   ”I'm sorry about bringing it up, I just... I want to know what I did wrong.”
   Still quiet. Emil pulled a hand through his hair.
   ”You know, so I won't repeat it.”
   Then he laughed and pulled himself off the ground again.
   ”I really am going crazy. They're going to lock me up in the mental ward when we get back.”
   He kept going. They passed by a few houses with roofs that had fallen in, passed by something that looked like it might have been a barn at one time and reached the last house in the small village they were passing through.
   In here.
   Emil stopped for a moment, looked at the house.
   Weather will get worse, we wait it out there.
   ”Oh, okay then.”
   He went inside the house, placed Lalli's body close to the wall.
   ”Wait there, I'll see if it's safe.”
   It was. Emil found a fireplace, placed Lalli close to it and made a fire. He pulled off his coat and wrapped it around Lalli before dragging whatever furniture and blankets he could find over there do build them a nest. Just like he had done in that first house.
   ”This time I'm not going to fall asleep though. I'll just wake up even crazier. Maybe next time I wake up I'll hear Sigrun's voice in my head as well.”
   He sat down, leaned against the wall and looked at Lalli.
   ”I wish you were awake though. I wish I had some company.”
   No answer, but there wasn't anything to say and Emil knew it. He listened to the flames as they made their way through the wood, listened to Lalli's breathing. He was almost falling asleep.
   It was stupid.
   Emil was awake, totally, and he looked at Lalli.
   ”Are you awake?”
   He still wasn't. Emil leaned against the wall again.
   The soup...
   ”Are we talking about that now?”
   Are you angry about it?
   ”Nah, I just want to understand.”
   The voice in his head fell quiet again and Emil looked at the blanket that was their temporary ceiling. There were holes in it, but for being 90 year-old fabric it held up good.
   Your language was wrong.
   ”My... language?”
   It was gibberish.
   ”Excuse me”, Emil laughed, ”my language is not gibberish.”
   I didn't understand it so I got angry.
   ”Do you want me to talk less?”
   Silence, followed by more silence. Emil pulled up his legs to his chest and wrapped his arms around it.
   ”Before I stop talking though... I would rather say this while you're awake but... I'm sorry. For what I said that day.”
   He looked towards Lalli, tried to force a smile.
   ”I understand if you hate me now. But... thanks for saving me. And I'm sorry. I wanted to believe what Mikkel said. That she might not have been...”
   He let out a sigh and looked away.
   ”I should have known you knew better... I'll... I'll shut up with my weird language now...”
   No answer. Emil laid down on the floor, his back turned against Lalli. His body shivered slightly, but then the heat from the flames draped over him again and he closed his eyes. Lalli was sitting on the other side of the table when the dream came to him. He didn't smile, his eyes were sad, but he looked at Emil.
   ”Don't...”
   He looked away again. Emil noticed that his nanny wasn't there this time and he looked out of the window. No fire. This wasn't any of the usual dreams. He turned to Lalli again. Lalli pulled at the tablecloth.
   ”You can keep talking. It's okay. Just don't disturb any trolls.”
   He blushed, looked at Emil again.
   ”If you do, you're just stupid.”
   ”I'll try”, Emil smiled.
   ”And... I don't hate you, stupid.”
   ”It's okay if you do, everyone else does.”
   ”Well, I don't.”
   Lalli crossed his arms over his chest and leaned back, before relaxing and leaning against the table again.
   ”Also... The soup... I'm... I'msorryaboutthat.”
   Emil blinked, tried to wrap his head around Lalli's blurted out words and then smiled.
   ”It's okay, I just wanted to understand. I'm glad you're my friend, Lalli.”
   ”Mf”, Lalli answered and got up from the table before lying down on the couch.
   Emil looked out the window again, saw the flames catching the other house out there and he could hear his nanny approaching. Everything was back to normal.

Grade E cat

• Ranger
« Reply #3488 on: November 19, 2017, 03:20:06 AM »
I could give it a try, but it may be a better idea to do it either via PM or another topic entirely... basically anywhere that isn't here so we can stick to publishing and commenting on this one.

Lazy8

• DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: Name only
« Reply #3489 on: November 19, 2017, 03:32:45 AM »
Point. I'll start a new topic.
:usa: native
:spain: comes back in an emergency
:vaticancity: rusty
:china: can usually manage to order food
:norway: can hold a basic conversation

:chap5: | :book2: | :book3: | :chap17: :chap18:

Grade E cat

• Ranger
« Reply #3490 on: November 20, 2017, 04:14:35 PM »
Headcanon turned fic that gave me an excuse to write some parts of Chapter 17 from Lalli's point of view... win-win?

Fist bump

Róisín

« Reply #3491 on: November 20, 2017, 07:56:16 PM »
This is an interesting idea, and the kind of thing that might happen.

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #3492 on: November 21, 2017, 05:01:43 PM »
Hi, everybody! We have one more day of sign-ups for the Advent Calendar, and (at the moment) one slot open.  Right now it's the 11th that's vacant, but I'm asking the folks who are pencilled in to verify their dates.
https://ssssforum.com/index.php?topic=1008.0
If you've been on the fence about participating, now might be your chance to join in!
(Also a plug for the Secret Santa exchange Gwenno is running! https://ssssforum.com/index.php?topic=1010.0)
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

Grade E cat

• Ranger
« Reply #3493 on: November 22, 2017, 03:47:59 PM »
Trying prompt writing. First story is ready. It ended up being a short tale about Emil and Reynir.

Sleep
« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 04:17:46 PM by Grade E cat »

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #3494 on: November 22, 2017, 06:35:11 PM »
...is it too soon? Oh dear gods, it's too soon, isn't it?

The Zombie

*throws the challenge entry on the table and flees*

I thought I commented on this one already?  Anyway, not too soon, and quite a bit less painful than the other one where Reynir bites it, so to speak.
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior