Author Topic: The SSSS Scriptorium  (Read 781024 times)

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
Re: The SSSS Scriptorium
« Reply #225 on: April 07, 2015, 05:51:03 AM »
Thank you for the nice comments everyone, you've no idea how afraid I was to post that fic! I just kind of sort of threw it here and ran away and almost couldn't get sleep afterwards because I'm a sad loser like that.  :D
I'll be having a most likely unpleasant day starting now (I have to make phone calls, I hate phone calls, why do I have to make phone calls?) but I'll be on a really good mood, which is no small thing.

eek.
I never thought I'd say this, but Sigrun's dealing pretty well, if that's what her past looks like.

Humans are amazingly resilient sometimes. Sigrun in particular strikes me as a person who's capable of going through some serious things with very low amounts of self pity or "why-me"s, which is one of the reasons I'd follow her to battle any time. :3

LOUD SCREAMING.

Are... are you ok? :D
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #226 on: April 07, 2015, 06:37:16 AM »
Lalli crept up behind Mikkel to peer over his shoulder, curious. The big man had been sitting quietly outside the truck, across from Emil and Sigrun, for some time, doing something with a pencil and notepad.

[...]That night as Lalli prepared to head outside, he noticed something on the wall and stopped to look. It was the picture he had drawn, carefully taped up where it was clearly visible to anyone who passed by.

Wow, this is great!  Just a brief vignette, but it's a vivid portrait (so to speak) of everyone's characters.  It felt like I really was hearing Lalli's thoughts, which we so seldom get to do.  And it was touching to see the loner night scout building a rapport with "the big man."

It also reminded me that drawing would be an important skill in the Known World, where photography is rare and time-consuming.  (e.g. the Cat-Tank probably doesn't have a darkroom for Tuuri to develop her film.)  Your descriptions of Mikkel's and Lalli's sketches are really convincing, speaking as someone who can't even draw at the Lalli level.  Do you yourself draw, or have friends who are learning to, that you know what mistakes a beginner would make?

Now I'm hoping for someone to re-create the sketches Mikkel and Lalli made...

Keep up the good work!   :)
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

RandomTexanReader

• Ranger
  • Forum Prophet (avatar by the incredible mad robin)
« Reply #227 on: April 07, 2015, 11:24:13 AM »
Wow, this is great!  Just a brief vignette, but it's a vivid portrait (so to speak) of everyone's characters.  It felt like I really was hearing Lalli's thoughts, which we so seldom get to do.  And it was touching to see the loner night scout building a rapport with "the big man."

It also reminded me that drawing would be an important skill in the Known World, where photography is rare and time-consuming.  (e.g. the Cat-Tank probably doesn't have a darkroom for Tuuri to develop her film.)  Your descriptions of Mikkel's and Lalli's sketches are really convincing, speaking as someone who can't even draw at the Lalli level.  Do you yourself draw, or have friends who are learning to, that you know what mistakes a beginner would make?

Now I'm hoping for someone to re-create the sketches Mikkel and Lalli made...

Keep up the good work!   :)

I do draw, and I've also taught art and have younger siblings, so I've noticed some typical go-tos. Every person's different

When I came up with this, I actually did make the sketches: it was an interesting experiment to imagine how the different characters would draw. Mikkel would have a very good grasp of anatomy and his pictures would probably have a very solid feel to them, which I don't think I really managed to capture. And I described Lalli's picture a little worse than it actually turned out.
Mikkel's sketch:
(Sigrun doesn't stay still long enough for him to get a good picture, hehe)
Lalli's sketch:
Lalli actually has a very good instinctive grasp of composition, and if he were to work on it consistently could turn out a very respectable artist. He's got other priorities at the moment, though.

Looking at these again though, it seems to me pretty obvious that they were drawn by a girl: the relative size of the eyes and face as well as the inclination towards thinner, longer forms gives it away. *sigh* live and learn.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 11:30:25 AM by RandomTexanReader »
... Texas ... is a mystique closely approximating a religion. And this is true to the extent that people either passionately love Texas or passionately hate it....
John Steinbeck
:usa:
:vaticancity: Domine, non sum dignus....
:mexico: No habla Espanol
:croatia: Hvala za nishto, dobro za nishto, mali vrag.

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #228 on: April 07, 2015, 11:49:04 AM »
I do draw, and I've also taught art and have younger siblings, so I've noticed some typical go-tos. Every person's different

When I came up with this, I actually did make the sketches: it was an interesting experiment to imagine how the different characters would draw. Mikkel would have a very good grasp of anatomy and his pictures would probably have a very solid feel to them, which I don't think I really managed to capture. And I described Lalli's picture a little worse than it actually turned out.
Mikkel's sketch:
Lalli's sketch:
Lalli actually has a very good instinctive grasp of composition, and if he were to work on it consistently could turn out a very respectable artist. He's got other priorities at the moment, though.
aaaaaaaaa this makes me so happy
ESPECIALLY sigrun's inability to stand still (eheheehhe) long enough to be drawn
and thinking about lalli drawing mikkel like that just makes me. SO HAPPY
i'm just happy
you'll know where to find me.

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #229 on: April 07, 2015, 01:33:37 PM »

Looking at these again though, it seems to me pretty obvious that they were drawn by a girl: the relative size of the eyes and face as well as the inclination towards thinner, longer forms gives it away. *sigh* live and learn.

Huh.  Really?  Those are signs of being drawn by a girl?  Interesting. 

I might have guessed some other, more gender-stereotyped things (like drawing people as pretty and anime-like, or choice of "feminine" subjects).... but I never knew there were ways of representing the human form that are give-aways.  (Sure, there are Rorschach blots and "draw a person" tests, but I thought those were to look for overall personality traits or abnormalities.)

EDIT:  Let the record show that I love the way you/"Mikkel" drew Sigrun.  Very cubist, with all those time-lapse legs, arms, and heads!
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Vafhudr

• Ranger
« Reply #230 on: April 07, 2015, 03:13:14 PM »
Well I have seen that comparison made mostly between Shoujo and Shonen mangas, or mangas aimed at female or male readership.

Let use some extremes for comparison.
Here's the art of the group CLAMP, a circle of influential women mangaka.

Notice the chins that can puncture your eyes and the long slender limbs and the big, lovingly detailed eyes.

And here's One Piece by Eichiro Oda. Which is about as Shonen as it gets.

One Piece might not be such a good example since the artists as really elastic sense proportions, but you can notice that the features tend to be more restrained and more rounded. Harder, less flowing lines.

Of course, it's not necessarily a masculine art-style. After all, perhaps one of the best example of this is Fullmetal Alchemist, by Hiromu Arakawa.

And then you have the extreme of masculine drawing, which parallels the horror that is human anatomy in western comics.

Sometimes the two opposites happen in one author. Like JoJo's bizarre adventure by Hirohiko Araki.
Jojo Part 2

Jojo Part 5

Jojo, though, is kind of a category of its own.
Language: :france::uk:
Some notions: :vaticancity: :greece:
A nostalgia for utopia...

RandomTexanReader

• Ranger
  • Forum Prophet (avatar by the incredible mad robin)
« Reply #231 on: April 07, 2015, 05:38:19 PM »
Huh.  Really?  Those are signs of being drawn by a girl?  Interesting. 

I might have guessed some other, more gender-stereotyped things (like drawing people as pretty and anime-like, or choice of "feminine" subjects).... but I never knew there were ways of representing the human form that are give-aways.  (Sure, there are Rorschach blots and "draw a person" tests, but I thought those were to look for overall personality traits or abnormalities.)

EDIT:  Let the record show that I love the way you/"Mikkel" drew Sigrun.  Very cubist, with all those time-lapse legs, arms, and heads!

You can tell a lot about a person by their drawing. As far as identifying the person's gender, it's a very inexact science but I'd say it's possible to distinguish about 75% of the time. Sort of like identifying someone's gender by the way they talk online.
I do think it's interesting though that in the cases where I've been mistaken about the gender of the artist I've found the pictures to look very odd, despite the skill level. For example, I first thought that the paintress Morisot was a guy (I'm not sure why) and although I liked the paintings, I thought they were weird. Something seemed off to me about them. Once I learned that they were done by a woman, however, then they didn't seem weird anymore. It's just one of those things.
... Texas ... is a mystique closely approximating a religion. And this is true to the extent that people either passionately love Texas or passionately hate it....
John Steinbeck
:usa:
:vaticancity: Domine, non sum dignus....
:mexico: No habla Espanol
:croatia: Hvala za nishto, dobro za nishto, mali vrag.

SectoBoss

• Ranger
« Reply #232 on: April 09, 2015, 02:40:48 PM »
It seems pretty likely by now that Reynir’s our second mage (famous last words), so here’s a little story of how Lalli finds that out. My apologies in advance for the few words of Danish, which I had to get from google translate. Hopefully the general meaning behind them is still there, even if tenses and whatnot have gotten mangled.

http://archiveofourown.org/works/3711373/chapters/8215588

As always, I hope you all like it!
Native: :uk:  Remembers dregs: :france: :vaticancity:  Learning (slowly): :sweden:
Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
Proud owner of a Haizvatar
I write a bit on AO3

Haiz

• Tumblr
« Reply #233 on: April 10, 2015, 05:31:30 AM »
It seems pretty likely by now that Reynir’s our second mage (famous last words), so here’s a little story of how Lalli finds that out. My apologies in advance for the few words of Danish, which I had to get from google translate. Hopefully the general meaning behind them is still there, even if tenses and whatnot have gotten mangled.

holy wow, sectoboss
I know I've probably said fifteen times I don't usually read fanfics, but I'm a regular reader of yours now. They are so in character, the mood is spot on, and I can see what is happening so clearly inside my head........
I loved the way you painted the landscape of the silent world with your words, it was so poetic, like, from new world soil to old world wreckage, hhhhhh yes that's my jam

and maybe I read it pretty late at night but I burst out laughing for reals when Tuuri asked what the troll looked like.

SectoBoss

• Ranger
« Reply #234 on: April 10, 2015, 06:15:59 PM »
Okayyy… this is actually the first fanfic for SSSS that I ever did, yonks ago now. I never uploaded it because quite frankly I was never sure whether anyone else would be able to take the idea seriously or not. Ages ago in one of the rash/trolls/monsters threads people mentioned the ideas of infected buildings and city-sized giants and infected that could still think, and this was what I made of that. No doubt it’s going to get shot down as the comic progresses but hey… nothing ventured? I guess?

http://archiveofourown.org/works/3718744

holy wow, sectoboss

Thanks for your kind words! Means a lot to me, that other people like the stuff I put up here  :)
Native: :uk:  Remembers dregs: :france: :vaticancity:  Learning (slowly): :sweden:
Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
Proud owner of a Haizvatar
I write a bit on AO3

Oh Deer

• Scout
    • Tumblr
  • I live!! but no joke, it's good to be back :D
« Reply #235 on: April 10, 2015, 07:14:35 PM »
Okayyy… this is actually the first fanfic for SSSS that I ever did, yonks ago now. I never uploaded it because quite frankly I was never sure whether anyone else would be able to take the idea seriously or not. Ages ago in one of the rash/trolls/monsters threads people mentioned the ideas of infected buildings and city-sized giants and infected that could still think, and this was what I made of that. No doubt it’s going to get shot down as the comic progresses but hey… nothing ventured? I guess?

Thanks for your kind words! Means a lot to me, that other people like the stuff I put up here  :)
Oh my god, I love this! The descriptions were amazing. Though it's terrifying to think giants could reach city-size
"Nerds + time = siege engines, it's a well-known fact."- Noodly Appendage
:chap6:, :chap7: :chap8:

Haiz

• Tumblr
« Reply #236 on: April 11, 2015, 04:44:18 AM »

KVITEKRIST why did i read that
*huddles up in blankets*
*reads again*

Ren

• Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them
« Reply #237 on: April 11, 2015, 12:02:33 PM »

This story is awesome especially the part at the end where Lalli laughs and Onni thinks he sneezed. You should really write more fanfics like this.
Learning Spanish and Norwegian

Chapter Break Survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19:

KicknRun

• Ranger
  • excitable hatred
  • Preferred pronouns: he/her
« Reply #238 on: April 11, 2015, 05:53:22 PM »

Honestly,though, I loved it.

:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
SSSSoulcount:0

Icon drawn by Piney

DancingRanger

• Ranger
  • The forests surround me, and I am free.
  • Preferred pronouns: They/them or He/him
« Reply #239 on: April 11, 2015, 06:04:16 PM »
So, I'm working on a story, I posted part of it here, but I'm kinda losing the muse for it. And I've barely done any thing. . . so if you guys wanna read it and give me some feed back here's the Doc link Oh, https://docs.google.com/document/d/10EHQAmpiW7Ak-LzeclByuQG7zJPYbSpx-3tUDIPKxsA/edit?usp=docslist_api
Profile pic made by this awsome lady www.porcelainbazooka.tumblr.com
Native :usa:
Little knowledge :germany: , :mexico: , :japan:
Want to learn :finland: , :wales: , and more

Chapter joined :chap5:
Survived :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: