Author Topic: Global Holidays and Celebrations  (Read 43180 times)

DzigaWatt

• Just 5 more mins
Re: Global Holidays and Celebrations
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2014, 10:24:20 AM »
As a child I had the opinion that being chosen as st lucy was a somewhat dangerous task, considering that you have to wear a crown of lit candles.

I'd have definitely pulled a fire nation stunt there without giving it a second thought.
can discuss the meaning of life:
like a second mother-language:
won't starve:
dATumblr

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2014, 03:20:27 PM »
The meteorological winter solstice is on the 21 of december though. Did they mess up their calendar?

Warning, historical geekery to follow:
Blame Julius Caesar.  His 365-day calendar (founded in 45 BC) was great *except* that its 1-in-4 Leap Years were a tiny bit ahead of the *actual* time it takes the Earth to go around the Sun.

16 centuries later, that difference had amounted to 10 days, so that the calendar's "Dec. 12" translated to "Dec. 22/Winter Solstice" by the sky clock.  The Catholic part of the world adjusted its calendars in AD 1582, by order of Pope Gregory

Protestant countries, including England and Scandinavia, held off on such dubious Papist innovations until 1752.  By then they actually had to drop 11 days from the calendar. 
That's how the Metaphysical poet John Donne, writing circa 1610, could conflate St. Lucy's Day with the winter solstice: 

'Tis the year's midnight, and it is the day's,
Lucy's, who scarce seven hours herself unmasks...

"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Pessi

• Scout
  • metsäläinen
« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2014, 03:56:05 PM »
Our independence day is on the 6th of December. It is celebrated very solemnly with military parades, masses in churches, remebering the casualties of the last war, lighting pairs of candles on window sills etc. A quiet, devoted celebration.

This year independent Finland has it's 97th birthday. In 2017 we'll probably have some huge official ceremonies to celebrate the first hundred years of independency.
Tiitiäinen metsäläinen
pieni menninkäinen

()
Trying to learn

Sunflower

• Saraswati
« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2014, 05:59:41 PM »
Tomorrow, Nov. 27, is Thanksgiving Day in the United States.  Right now I'm packing to go over to my parents' house.  Tomorrow 14 of us, ages 8 to 80 (all related in various ways) will sit down to dinner.  Guess who's helping my mother iron the good linen tablecloth and polish the silver?   

For those of you not familiar with the holiday, the classic menu features mostly New World produce: 

Roasted whole turkey (often with oyster or cornbread stuffing).  Gravy.  Mashed potatoes.  Sweet potatoes (yams) in some form -- the classic American version is in a casserole topped with marshmallows, but my family thinks this is tacky.  So one of my cousins brings elegant little orange halves stuffed with yam puree.  Cranberry sauce. 
Some sort of green vegetable -- we generally have green beans (haricots) with bacon (as opposed to the traditional, but dreadful, casserole made with canned cream-of-mushroom soup.  I keep lobbying for bok choy or broccoli, and keep getting outvoted.  Dinner rolls.

For dessert, pumpkin custard pie and apple pie.  Alternatives are usually based on native fruits or nuts too, e.g. pecan pie or blueberry cobbler.  (I'm bringing a cranberry-apricot pie this year.)
We wash it all down with lots of wine, mineral water, and sparkling cider. 

Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays, not just for the food but the spirit.  San Francisco Chronicle columnist Jon Carroll explains why better than I can:

THANKSGIVING is comfortably free of the strident religious and/or militaristic overtones that give the other holidays their soft emanations of uneasiness.

At Christmas, for instance, we are required to deal with the divinity of Christ -- I know some of you folks have made up your minds about that one, but not me -- and on the Fourth of July we must wrestle with the question of whether all those simulated aerial bombardments represent the most useful form of nationalism available.

At Thanksgiving, all we have to worry about is whether we can wholeheartedly support A) roasted turkey, B) friends and C) gratitude. My opinions on these matters are unambiguous; I am in favor of them all. The "Squanto-give-corn" stuff has been blessedly eliminated from the iconography, so the thrill of Thanksgiving is undiminished by caveats, codicils or carps. That alone is something to be thankful for. Thanksgiving provides a formal context in which to consider the instances of kindness that have enlightened our lives, for moments of grace that have gotten us through when all seemed lost. [Continues here.]

[Another of Carroll's Thanksgiving columns:]
Gratitude is the antidote. It is useful in combatting a variety of diseases, from something as vague as the discontents of civilization to something as specific as personal grief. Thanksgiving is the holiday of gratitude, and I am always willing to celebrate it.

I sometimes think of civilization or society as a kind of floor, a patchy, rickety floor in constant need of repair. Below the floor is the chasm. Some people know that chasm well - those who have scrabbled to exist in war zones, those who have tried to cope after hurricanes or earthquakes, those who have lost multiple family members simultaneously. For them, the daily comforts of society are of little use. The network of routine, the solace of art, the hope for the future - none of it seems real.

Only the chasm seems real.

The chasm is only metaphorical, of course, but sometimes we live our lives entirely within metaphors. Our choice of metaphors is just a matter of taste. There's no right answer in this quiz, kids.

But still we have to get through the day. And, I am convinced, the route through the day is gratitude. Because there is always something to be grateful for, and that something is not in the chasm, it floats above the chasm, denies the importance of the chasm.

You choose: sunsets, apples, bedrooms in the morning, Bruce Springsteen, a child's second birthday, the smile on the face of a passing stranger, rivers, mountaintops, cathedrals, Shakespeare, Tina Fey, the curve of a thigh, the curve of a road, the nation of Switzerland, Carl Hiaasen, grass, orange, Bola Sete, jumbo shrimp, Pascal's theorem, Occam's razor, clean restrooms, potable water, penguins, French kissing or peanuts.

Can you feel the floor beneath your feet get sturdier? Can you see the holes being patched? For a moment, the bounty of the world overwhelmed you, and you were grateful to be alive at this moment. See? Antidote.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 06:50:38 PM by Sunflower »
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Sunflower

• Saraswati
« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2014, 07:19:00 PM »
Just in case any of you want to know more about Thanksgiving...
* First celebrated in the English-speaking New World in late November 1623, by my pinch-lipped ancestors, the Pilgrims (Strangers or Separatists, who wanted no part of the established Anglican church of England).
* For the next 2 centuries, celebrated irregularly by various English colonies (and then states) along the Atlantic seaboard.  Gradually, most of them settled on the last Thursday of November as the date of Thanksgiving.  However, that date didn't become official until President Lincoln made a proclamation in 1863.  (This came after nearly 40 years of lobbying for a single, nationwide Thanksgiving Day by Sarah Josepha Hale, the influential, taste-making editor of Godey's Lady's Book.)

One of the most famous statements about Thanksgiving was the 1936 proclamation issued by Connecticut Governor Wilbur Cross, a Shakespeare scholar as well as a politician.  Some background.

Time out of mind at this turn of the seasons when the hardy oak leaves rustle in the wind and the frost gives a tang to the air and the dusk falls early and the friendly evenings lengthen under the heel of Orion, it has seemed good to our people to join together in praising the Creator and Preserver, who has brought us by a way that we did not know to the end of another year.

In observance of this custom, I appoint Thursday, the twenty-sixth of November, as a day of
Public Thanksgiving
for the blessings that have been our common lot and have placed our beloved State with the favored regions of earth -- for all the creature comforts: the yield of the soil that has fed us and the richer yield from labor of every kind that has sustained our lives -- and for all those things, as dear as breath to the body, that quicken man's faith in his manhood, that nourish and strengthen his spirit to do the great work still before him: for the brotherly word and act; for honor held above price; for steadfast courage and zeal in the long, long search after truth; for liberty and for justice freely granted by each to his fellow and so as freely enjoyed; and for the crowning glory and mercy of peace upon our land; -- that we may humbly take heart of these blessings as we gather once again with solemn and festive rites to keep our Harvest Home.[/i][/font]

Norman Rockwell created the most canonical image of Thanksgiving in his 1943 painting, "Freedom from Want."

I created a cranberry-apricot pie.

Eich

• Thor
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2014, 04:54:25 PM »
Today was pretty awesome.  We did things different this year and went to my new uncle's farm house in the middle of nowhere.  We brought the dog, to play with their ADORABLE CHOCOLATE LAB PUUUUPPY OH MY GOODNESS, and we had home-fried turkey that my uncle shot, and deer sausage that his 12 year old daughter shot (they're the folks who like guns a lot :-\).  Still, we had a lot of fun, and I played my guitar a little, rode a four wheeler, and shot a rifle for the first time.  I'll upload some pictures later, but apparently my mom is a sniper... she hit the center of the target - perfectly - from ~120 yards.  (The new uncle is also loaded... He has two houses, the one we went to today, and his main one on the beach.  I don't understand how people get that much money.)
Feel free to PM.

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2014, 05:19:37 PM »
Today was pretty awesome.  We did things different this year and went to my new uncle's farm house in the middle of nowhere.  We brought the dog, to play with their ADORABLE CHOCOLATE LAB PUUUUPPY OH MY GOODNESS, and we had home-fried turkey that my uncle shot, and deer sausage that his 12 year old daughter shot (they're the folks who like guns a lot :-\).  Still, we had a lot of fun, and I played my guitar a little, rode a four wheeler, and shot a rifle for the first time.  I'll upload some pictures later, but apparently my mom is a sniper... she hit the center of the target - perfectly - from ~120 yards.  (The new uncle is also loaded... He has two houses, the one we went to today, and his main one on the beach.  I don't understand how people get that much money.)

How stereotypically southern that is. I don't think I'd have the nerve to hold a gun of any kind. My family's all really indoor folks who eat store-bought everything.

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2014, 05:47:26 PM »
How stereotypically southern that is. I don't think I'd have the nerve to hold a gun of any kind. My family's all really indoor folks who eat store-bought everything.
I know right?  :B. He's single-handedly turning my family into rednecks (there was even country music playing on my aunt's iPod D: ).
All I really wanted was some tea and my guitar with a nice couch.  I got that for a while, too.  My cousin was asleep while I was playing, and she said she heard me in her dreams, and that was nice to hear.

The gun was scary.  I don't like them being owned and used so casually; it seems foolish, and like an accident waiting to happen.  However, long range shooting is something I've wanted to learn for a while (I just won't use a pistol, ever), so I tentatively agreed to shoot, so I could have the story.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 05:49:22 PM by Eich »
Feel free to PM.

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2014, 06:12:09 PM »
All I really wanted was some tea and my guitar with a nice couch.

Really Eich? Is this your response to everything? "Hey Eich, did you have fun at X", "Sure thing, but I'd rather be playing my guitar"  :P

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2014, 06:35:18 PM »
Really Eich? Is this your response to everything? "Hey Eich, did you have fun at X", "Sure thing, but I'd rather be playing my guitar"  :P
I just involuntarily imagined the weirdest montage.... O___O

"How was graduation?"
"Well..."

"How was your date son?"
"Well..."

"What was it like in space?!"
"Well..."

"How did it feel to be that close to an angry grizzly?!"
"Well..."
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #40 on: November 27, 2014, 06:42:50 PM »
For most of the things that have gone on in the last few months, yeah.  And I got.to play my guitar during all the festivities today.  Still, loud, high-power rifle shooting with rich psuedo-rednecks isn't exactly high on my list of wants.  I've been in need of some games to play lately, though.  Farcry 4... Monday... so close...  And I've got Pokemon to tide me over until then.

I just involuntarily imagined the weirdest montage.... O___O

"How was graduation?"
"Well..."

"How was your date son?"
"Well..."

"What was it like in space?!"
"Well..."

"How did it feel to be that close to an angry grizzly?!"
"Well..."

I'm a simple kind of man.
Dates though... would be nice.
Feel free to PM.

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #41 on: November 27, 2014, 07:13:18 PM »
Link to some thanksgiving pictures.. There should be a picture of a target, the shooter, and a puppy, but twitter confuses me, so if there's not a way to see all three just say so.
Feel free to PM.

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #42 on: November 27, 2014, 07:20:24 PM »
Link to some thanksgiving pictures.. There should be a picture of a target, the shooter, and a puppy, but twitter confuses me, so if there's not a way to see all three just say so.
Actually, all I can see is a picture of a target.

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #43 on: November 27, 2014, 07:25:18 PM »
Is that your mum's shot on the target? :O
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #44 on: November 27, 2014, 07:35:29 PM »
This phone thing is trickier than my laptop, when it comes to sharing stuff here.
Yep, that's my mom's shot, haha. Nobody got that close after her go.

Mama's a snipah  The little white spot on the other side of the pond was the target.
Puppyyyyyyy
Feel free to PM.