Author Topic: I was banned from SSSS discord server (falsly tho)  (Read 922 times)

Ertyname

• Super-Newbie
I was banned from SSSS discord server (falsly tho)
« on: December 12, 2022, 12:17:38 PM »
Hello!
So, I wanted to join SSSS discord server, and... In my introduction I wrote that I disliked moscals (moscals are people, who are listening to the Kremlin propoganda. They can be Polish, Ukranian, Russian, British, German, etc.). But in Wikipedia, it was written that ward "moscal" was just a slur for Russian people. So, guess what my lazy self wrote, when someone asked "what do you mean by moscal?" (I copied from Wikipedia)! So that has started a long thread where 2 people were saying that I'm racist (which is not true).
Long story short - I can't join discord server cus 2 people thaught I was racist.
Moral of the story - if other people don't know something and you explained it badly, that's not good. And I understand that that's the reason why I was banned, and I realised my mistake since I was contacted in SSSS discord server with reason of being racist (i'm not I swear).
So, can anyone help me to join (officialy) to the discord server?

Keep Looking

• Bragi
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her, they/them
Re: I was banned from SSSS discord server (falsly tho)
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2022, 07:30:11 PM »
Heya.

I'll say in my official capacity as an admin that the discord server isn't offcially affiliated / under the same management as the forum - we share a common interest and several members are on both, but the forum doesn't control the discord and vice versa. It's up to the people who run the discord server as to whether or not they unban you.

You're welcome to be a part of the forum as long as you abide by our rules. I'm not from Eastern Europe so I don't have much familiarity with the context for the word 'moscal' (if amy Eastern European people have any input here go ahead), but I will say that we don't approve of the use of slurs here. I understand that where you are this word may be used for kremlin supporters, but there are Russian people here (who, I hope, do not support the kremlin) who may be hurt by the use of this word as it may have been used to them as an ethnic slur. With what's happening in the world right now there are definitely some damn good reasons to hate the kremlin, but I'd ask that you don't use this word here, as allowing the use of ethnic slurs here regardless of their meaning in certain contexts sets a bad precedent for what behaviour is permitted on this forum.
I write poetry sometimes.

Icon by the amazing Rithalie from the SSSS discord (rithalie-art.tumblr.com)

Ruler of Changi Airport

Abprallen

• Scout
    • Tumblr
  • The Frenchiest of Fries
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2022, 03:32:45 AM »
Hi hello Discord Admin & one who banned you! As Keep Looking said - we are sadly not overly connected to each other. If you (or anyone) has any queries about the discord, it’s best to reach out to me via discord - I don’t get to check the forum too much anymore :onni:

That being said! You are not welcome on the discord for blatantly disregarding and breaking our code of conduct right out of the gate. Wikipedia was pretty damn clear about that word being a slur so not sure where you got confused on that front or why you even went on to continue to use it. From your response and disengagement on discord, I unfortunately don’t believe a good faith argument that it was an honest mistake.

Slurs are and will always be slurs - just because your intentions are a certain way it does not mean that others will be on the same page. Learn from this and be kind and mindful of others.

Cheers!

uktoer

• Super-Newbie
  • Preferred pronouns: she/they
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2022, 04:38:57 AM »
As a person who's been a bit hurt by the word- I think it's alright to hate objectively bad people who quite literally ruined your life. Just don't use words that could hurt other people you didn't mean to, or, well, slurs in general. Being grouped up with insane people sucks. I don't support any of them and the things they do, yet it feels like I'm supposed to feel constant shame for them just because I live in the same country. War is terrible and it can never be justified.
тише воды ниже травы

Ertyname

• Super-Newbie
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2022, 05:50:02 AM »
Ok, thanks for explaining!
I'll delete the thread after some time (because I have understood my situation). I don't really care about discord server, as long as there is a way to connect with SSSS comunity. And sorry for all of people, who were offended by my words. So, yeah... Thank you!

P.S. - How to delete thread now
« Last Edit: December 13, 2022, 06:30:52 PM by Ertyname »