Author Topic: unexpected agreement requirement  (Read 865 times)

thorny

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Preferred pronouns: either female or gender-neutral
unexpected agreement requirement
« on: March 02, 2022, 10:06:57 AM »

Did anybody else try to refresh a page on this forum today and get confronted with a privacy form requiring agreement in order to access the forum?

The form itself looked pretty much standard boilerplate; but I wasn't expecting it, and wonder what's going on.

dmeck7755

Re: unexpected agreement requirement
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2022, 10:18:12 AM »
I got one this am. I thought it may have been related to all of the work restructuring the site. 
"without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."

-Frank Zappa

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2022, 10:53:43 AM »
Did anybody else try to refresh a page on this forum today and get confronted with a privacy form requiring agreement in order to access the forum?
Well, I tried to log in and ran into it, but yeah.

The form itself looked pretty much standard boilerplate
... though the result looked like the boilerplate didn't manage to get it properly cooked IMHO ...

but I wasn't expecting it, and wonder what's going on.
Well, the markup did say that the policy was last edited today (02-Mar-2022) and effective as of today, so having it pop up for confirmation now makes sense, as hurried as the thing may look ...
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2022, 01:13:45 PM »
There have been some changes in the forum software, pushed on by the software provider (Simple Machines Forum or something like that) and our administration needs to do some magic to keep the software working and preserve our own tweaks at the same time. The agreement may be related to that.

Sorry about the hazy details, I don’t have anything to do with the software side of things but I am in contact with the admin. So I know something is going on, but don’t know what it is :)
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

JoB

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2022, 02:52:16 PM »
(FWIW, to reread the terms after you accepted them, look here; there doesn't seem to be a link / menu item leading to it.)
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Keep Looking

• Bragi
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her, they/them
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2022, 12:27:15 AM »
Hi, you've summoned the person who knows what's going on!

Essentially, for the last week or two the forum's had an error where new users trying to register get directed to an error page once they register (and are thus unable to make an account). I realised pretty soon that this issue was quite out of my depth software-wise, so yesterday I reached out to Hushpiper, one of the other admins who knows more about how to keep this site running. Hushpiper thought the registration issue might have been because of our lack of a privacy policy, so they've added a privacy policy to the site. Unfortunately, it appears that was not the issue, so we're still trying to figure out how to fix things up so that new users can join. But that's why we have a privacy policy now!
I write poetry sometimes.

Icon by the amazing Rithalie from the SSSS discord (rithalie-art.tumblr.com)

Ruler of Changi Airport

JoB

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2022, 02:49:22 AM »
Essentially, for the last week or two the forum's had an error where new users trying to register get directed to an error page
Actually, the last (successful) registrations happened back on 06-Feb ...

Keep Looking

• Bragi
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her, they/them
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2022, 06:28:18 AM »
Actually, the last (successful) registrations happened back on 06-Feb ...

Yes, which is rather weird, since the last thing I actually did anything of note to the site was on Jan 19th, so I've got no idea why this error has popped up when it has. Hopefully between Hushpiper and I we'll be able to sort it out, though.
I write poetry sometimes.

Icon by the amazing Rithalie from the SSSS discord (rithalie-art.tumblr.com)

Ruler of Changi Airport