Author Topic: Ideas for new Boards  (Read 18276 times)

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
Re: Ideas for new Boards
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2014, 07:35:20 PM »
Alright, there's a general consensus so far.
... there is? I don't think I'ld be able to summarize the above discussion into a concise declaration of purpose to save my life ...

for anyone who either doesn't have the time or desire to learn a new language, it would effectively lock them out of a section of the forum.
To the contrary, if the other-language boards do take off in the first place, you'll hear said users say that they're getting sucked into them, as there currently is no way to remove the "hey, there's stuff in here that you haven't read yet!!!" power-flag-waving other than to at least enter the respective boards and threads. Expect them to ask for installation of add-ons that allow them to "unsubscribe" or "one-click 'mark read'" the parts that are complete gibberish to them.

(To give credit where credit is due, having the non-principal-language stuff contained in separate boards is pretty much a requirement to allow such functionality.)

Hum, I am pretty sure Minna would not mind if we managed to attract new readers :D
Minna has effectively given the nod to translations of the comic being made and posted on someone else's webserver before, which very obviously is going to keep predominantly other-language would-be readers away from her own.

Even if you can easily read english, you obviously make google shearches in the languages you are the most comfortable with. And only if you find nothing, you switch to english.
Completely OT, but short of doing only an image search, I'll try to dig up pages in whatever language I'm going to use them with. Which is, of course, English as soon as I intend to post the link in the SSSS comments section. (And yes, I have done web searches with search terms that I had to obtain from an online translation service beforehand, as I actually didn't speak the target language myself.)

Also, could I get some language names listed out in... their... language?  Like, in English, we say "French," but in French it's, "Français," I think.
As long as it's "Deutsch" but "Deutsches Unterforum", "in Deutscher Sprache", "für Deutsche", etc. ad insanitas, you might want to have entire snippets of text translated instead ...
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Yannick

« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2014, 08:05:53 PM »
I think I have an idea to limit prospectives problems!
My proposal : ONE new board only, with maximum 3 topics by language, and only the possibility to no-moderators to reply, but not create new topics.

So the board can contain:
Ask new languages (to ask/vote addition of new languages)
French - Français - SSSS
French - Français - A Redtail's Dream
French - Français - General Discussion
Spanish - Español - SSSS
Spanish - Español - A Redtail's Dream
Spanish - Español - General Discussion
So there is enough space to speak, but not so much that it risk to outgrow the english parts.
And "SSSS" and "A Redtail's Dream" topics will begin with a short translated summary of the comics.
"General Discussion" topic can allow those who want to practice a language to do so more freely.
Whatever is created by the spirit is more alive than matter. Charles Baudelaire 1867

:france: 99%  -  :uk: 70%  -   :spain: 30%

Richard Weir

• Scout
« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2014, 08:11:58 PM »
As a 100% English-only user, I am perfectly happy with there being some other language sub-sections. I seriously doubt they will dilute the English section, as the vast majority of content will be in English - just through following the language SSSS is written in! However, they will facilitate communication in other languages, and make life easier for people who can read English well enough to read the comic, but struggle to express themselves in English.

My only fear is that the other-language forums may fall into disuse and become under-moderated, in which case they could end up being targeted by spammers - but that is a situation which can be dealt with *if* and when it comes about.

Certainly the experiment is well worth trying. I suspect that if it fails then it will be because there is too little demand for them rather than too much.

I seem to remember Minna posted stats of aRTD readership by nationality; it might be worth looking at them to get an idea of the best languages to consider.
My one-and-only: :uk:

StellersJayC

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Happy!
« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2014, 12:58:03 AM »
I like everyone's ideas on this matter. Personally, I would love a chance to practice my German. My knowledge of vocabulary is tiny and though I know - simple - grammar, I have not had very much practice and tend to make silly mistakes all the time. (Remember Eichhoernchen versus Einhoernchen? I think that was it, anyway.)

I like the idea of having a max number of threads for each language because I can not imagine the SSSS community becoming separated with only three threads to choose from. I don't think it hurts to try something new.

Nimphy

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • The Almighty Phoenix, future Ruler of the World
« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2014, 01:52:14 AM »
Hmm, then I cast my vote for Français, Español, Deutsch (remind me never to speak German in JoB's presence), Norsk, Dansk, Svenska and Suomi for Suomikitty.
Fluent: :italy:, :albania:, :usa:

Okay: :spain:

Learning: :germany: :norway: :japan:

Bloody messed-up spoils of a language: :france:

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2014, 08:27:40 AM »
(remind me never to speak German in JoB's presence)
If I get your drift correctly, my presence would be short-lived, anyway. And marked terminated by a supersonic boom. :P
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

FrogEater

• Ranger
  • Pessimists experience only good surprises
« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2014, 09:04:44 AM »
Sooo... this is an active thread, isn't it ?
Not sure to remember all the ideas and proposals, forgive me if I'm redundant.
1 - Although being french, although not being bilingual (by far !), I'm not for running SSSS-related discussions in languages other than English (US accepted, nonetheless ;-) ). The comic is in English, we all use (with more or less ease) English, we are not (not yet !) millions of minions... let's keep it simple and secure.
2 - However, it would be a pity not to take profit of the vast choice of languages and language-curiosity we have here. Then I'm OK with the idea of mutual language assistance/teaching/various services. Should some interesting SSSS-related stuff emerge in the process, it would be up to the folks there to bring it to the common pot. Aren't we supposed to be responsible adults, after all ? :-)
3 - To yannick : relax ! your English is just efficient and fine :-) and the Collins dictionary is an invaluable help. Y a pas de honte à avoir ! (english translation available on request)

Now, that presentation thread...
:france: fluent, :uk: decent, :germany: war gut, :italy: tourist knowledge

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2014, 02:42:26 PM »
Hmm, then I cast my vote for Français, Español, Deutsch (remind me never to speak German in JoB's presence), Norsk, Dansk, Svenska and Suomi for Suomikitty.

It took me about 20 minutes working through the whole thread but I like the Idea and the languages offered. Mainly I'd be aktive in the english section because there I can meet people from everywhere. The presence of other languages will be a motivation to try conversation in any other language.
:germany: :uk: :norway:
:sweden: :france: :ireland: :turkey: :kurdish: :sign: =>Learning:
:vaticancity: =>Leftovers

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

Headfinder

« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2014, 03:19:15 PM »
Well, that link was misleading.

Right now, I'd say no to the idea. The way it's taking (making separate threads for each language), it'll just divide the community or spawn boards with no activity, and it'll feel too constraining.

Something more relaxed, a board for free discussion of foreign languages and cultures, where speaking a foreign language is actually encouraged, that's what came to my mind when I read multiligual; and that's something I might back.

Maybe we can get nordic or romance threads, learning threads for specific languages, history threads, or even vocaroo threads: Post something in your language, make a recording of yourself on other people's posts and link it to the thread for laughs, rating, learning and tip sharing...
Whatever comes.

Although it'd be a hell to moderate, user input and reporting would be useful here (both from reporter and reported, lest someone falsely accuses people for the sake of drama), and since such a board wouldn't necesarliy be related to SSSS or aRTD, we could make it a sub board on the General Discussion Board (Can I sugest Tower of Babel as a name?).

The thing is, do we realy need such a board (now)? The language exchange thread is far from crowded, and any potential multilingual board should be the next step to said thread. Let's give the community the chance to grow some more before we do something huge that we might not really need yet, or it'll probably end up dying from inactivity.

Nimphy

• The Almighty Phoenix, future Ruler of the World
« Reply #39 on: October 23, 2014, 03:52:57 PM »

Right now, I'd say no to the idea. The way it's taking (making separate threads for each language), it'll just divide the community or spawn boards with no activity, and it'll feel too constraining.

Something more relaxed, a board for free discussion of foreign languages and cultures, where speaking a foreign language is actually encouraged, that's what came to my mind when I read multiligual; and that's something I might back.

Maybe we can get nordic or romance threads, learning threads for specific languages, history threads, or even vocaroo threads: Post something in your language, make a recording of yourself on other people's posts and link it to the thread for laughs, rating, learning and tip sharing...
Whatever comes.

Although it'd be a hell to moderate, user input and reporting would be useful here (both from reporter and reported, lest someone falsely accuses people for the sake of drama), and since such a board wouldn't necesarliy be related to SSSS or aRTD, we could make it a sub board on the General Discussion Board (Can I sugest Tower of Babel as a name?).

Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes and yes!! This is pefect! The original idea behind the "multilanguage boards" was to share language and culture, and you found a brilliant way to do it! Let's have it in English AND the other languages!

For example, we could move the LEP in the Languages board so it's more evident and relevant, and some topics that are dead ("Learning Russian" is the first that comes to mind, and I think part of the problem with it was that the forum didn't display cyrillic letters. I would love to do a "Learning Italian" thread, and I'm sure the joint forces of all our nordic speakers would delight the non-nordic community. Plus, my Spanish needs practice and I'm kinda interested in reviving what little French I used to know) could be revived. I would mostly lurk around and do my best to learn a little of everything. And of course there could be the Global Mythology and I would be kinda interested in another FOTA Race. All in English, with the original language translation!

The "Groups" also look like a good idea. I always find it interesting how I can understand other Romance languages (which are mostly French and Portuguese, with some bits of Romanian I can understand if they're spoken out loud) even if I couldn't speak them to save my life. Also, maybe whatever I learn in Norwegian can also be applied to Danish and Swedish.

And I'm all for the Vocaroo thread. Bring it on!!

The thing is, do we realy need such a board (now)? The language exchange mthread is far from crowded, and any potential multilingual board should be the next step to said thread. Let's give the community the chance to grow some more before we do something huge that we might not really need yet, or it'll probably end up dying from inactivity.

You do have a point, but this would be a trial of a month, not more. If it works, we keep it and enjoy the board, if it doesn't then we just forget it ever happened. Easy, no?
Fluent: :italy:, :albania:, :usa:

Okay: :spain:

Learning: :germany: :norway: :japan:

Bloody messed-up spoils of a language: :france:

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #40 on: October 23, 2014, 04:58:09 PM »
Also, maybe whatever I learn in Norwegian can also be applied to Danish and Swedish.

You'll probably find that you'll be able to read Danish with some extra effort. At any rate it would be great if we could recruit more Swedes and Danes.

As far as moderation go I'm with Headfinder. Users can report abuses to a moderator. For the Norwegian/Danish/Swedish thread at least there will be several fluent speakers who can corroborate reports so that abuse (hypothetical situation really) doesn't happen.

Noah O.

• Scout
  • History Geek
« Reply #41 on: October 23, 2014, 04:59:54 PM »
German. Y'know why? Because Germans are awesome. (Side note: I'm not German. Just sayin'.) Their scientists are second to none, their weaponry is off the charts, and the simple efficiency and proficiency of their activities appeals to me. Also, Oktoberfest.

StellersJayC

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Happy!
« Reply #42 on: October 23, 2014, 09:23:22 PM »
Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes and yes!! This is pefect! The original idea behind the "multilanguage boards" was to share language and culture, and you found a brilliant way to do it! Let's have it in English AND the other languages!

This sounds like a lot of fun! I can't wait to get my grammar corrected! (I want to get it right, and the only way to do that is through practice.)

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #43 on: October 23, 2014, 10:07:28 PM »

Whatever comes.

The thing is, do we realy need such a board (now)? The language exchange thread is far from crowded, and any potential multilingual board should be the next step to said thread. Let's give the community the chance to grow some more before we do something huge that we might not really need yet, or it'll probably end up dying from inactivity.
Well, this idea pretty much kicks ass.  (You must've found a pretty good head somewhere.   ;))
I'll put up a poll with a yes/no vote, but this gets a yes from me. 

I'd prefer to have it as a separate board from the GDB.  Child boards will tell you their parent board has new posts, because they're stuck inside the parent.  I had something similar on another forum, and it was always slightly misleading.  It works well for clustered but separate information, but the GDB is too broad for that, I think. 
Feel free to PM.

Lenny

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Ninja.
  • Preferred pronouns: My name. They/them.
« Reply #44 on: October 23, 2014, 11:02:39 PM »

Whatever comes.

Also a yes from me. The other board ideas sounded much too exclusive, but this one is perfect. Brilliant idea~
Am notified of private messages via email.